Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Wait, the game is already over?"

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 08:49 PM #1 of 67
"Wait, the game is already over?"

What games just seemed too short for you? How quickly were you able to finish the game?

There are many I can think of, but the three that surprised me the most were Terranigma (SNES), The Bouncer (PS2), and Xenosaga Episode II (PS2).

I didn't know much about Terranigma when I started, and unlike the games I play today, I also didn't ask anyone about the game's length. I enjoyed Terranigma thoroughly though, so I think everything just seemed to end too quickly for me.

The Bouncer was a game I purchased because it was under $10, and I wasn't playing anything at the time. I managed to finish that one in one sitting. Xenosaga II simply had too many in-game movies so the whole game wasn't satisfying in terms of actual input on my part.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 09:56 PM #2 of 67
I might or might not surprise people by saying this, but I thought Shadow of the Colossus was a bit on the short end. I clocked in aboout 14 or so hours, mainly because I was busy shooting apples and lizards. One may argue, well, the Gods certainly aren't that cruel to make him have to fight perhaps 32 or even 64 colossi now, so why bother adding more of them? Plus they'd start to get repetitive. Plus, I think Wanda would say "TOO HELL WITH IT! 100 Colossi to save this bitch?", and ya know, he's only human(like). I really don't think SOTC needed to be any longer, but part of me wants to slay more colossi than redoing a new plus game.

Oh, and Ico is the perfect length for that particular type of game, sup Q.

I also found Mercernaries surprisingly short (about 30 hours) for a GTA type game. There's perhaps 10-12 missions per each Ace stage, so 45 some missions in total. If you have cheats, then a mission can easily be beaten under 3 minutes thanks to God mode. I also found the side challenges lacking in fun or innovation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:15 AM #3 of 67
Ace Combat 4. Just when I got settled into it, the last level was right up on me. Took me awhile to figure out, but the road getting there completely blew by. I was disappointed to see Belkan War was only 18 missions long.

Also, Ys: Ark of Napishtim...I thought it would be a tad larger than it was. The end was like: Major Boss Battle, Next-to-Last Boss Battle, Last Boss Battle, End. I fully expected there to be another level between 'Major Boss Battle' and 'Next-to-Last Boss Battle'. Oh well, at least I still have the Trials of Alma to screw around with.

And I'm playing Princess Peach and New SMB very slowly right now...Reason being, I don't want to beat them too fast, considering how long the wait has been for awesome new 2D platformers. I could probably knock both out tonight if I wanted to (I'm in World 6 of Mario, World 5 in Peach), but I just take them level-by-level.

And I'm still amazed how Suikoden 1 gets everything into under 20 hours everytime. Even my 108 Stars run was only 20 hours. It's just a lot of stuff happens in a short amount of time.

Oh, and Street Fighter EX3...6 fights and you're at the end, none are 2 out of 3 falls. Normally doesn't take even 8 minutes. I second The Bouncer as well...Early PS2 gamers weren't exactly getting much in the way of length for the money.

Somehow the story mode in Dynasty Warriors 5 is only 5 or 6 fights long (at least for Sun Shang Xiang). Pathetic, compared to the 20-30 hours and 18 or so levels it can take to finish DW4.

Lot's of classic games that could've benefitted from being longer...I could handle Ducktales in maybe 20 minutes as a kid, I normally pull it out in 8-10 now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Jun 17, 2006 at 12:17 AM.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 09:07 AM #4 of 67
Hmm, I'd say Tomb Raider: Legend. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't see the ending coming. Talk about a cliff hanger A couple of level more wouldn't have been bad.

Most amazing jew boots

LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 02:16 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 03:16 PM #5 of 67
Hmm I always thought Suikoden 4 was short, for some reason i didnt see the ending coming. My god thats oen of the most boring endings ever, even bad guy sucks although he looked cool at first. (not even a backstory for him bleh)

I was speaking idiomatically.
devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 03:49 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 08:49 AM #6 of 67
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
When I saw the credtis roling I couldn't belive my eyes, compared with Soul Reaver 1 that one was a joke.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 03:03 AM #7 of 67
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Zone of the Enders games for the PS2 yet. They were both surprisingly short, but they were still great nonetheless.

It was funny though, because the first Z.O.E. was the very first game I played on the PS2. Suffice to say, I was pretty shocked when I beat the game in less than six hours. Not a very good opening experience with a new console, but I eventually came to love the game (after initially trading it in and then buying it again later on).

FELIPE NO
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 PM #8 of 67

You could clock this shit in 28 minutes.

Also, Final Fantasy 6.

Spoiler:
The world crashes, then you find your friends and kill Kefka. Wow, predictable. It's like the team lost all incentive to properly continue the game on a certain point. Which is a shame, because it's a really good game. Up until that part.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:12 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 01:12 PM #9 of 67
Halo 2. Maybe not short but the ending came out of no where.

Tomb Raider legend. I wanted 2-3 more levels .

no homo
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 07:43 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 01:43 PM #10 of 67
I don't know if repeated play throughs count, but I'll go for Sonic R. Once you know the stages well enough (about the same time you've perfected the lyrics you're singing along-

we all need, to work together
to build a better life, to make it what we feel
we have to make it real)

then you can unlock all the hidden extras and best the games 2 endings (with emeralds; without em) in about half an hour, without any sort of difficulty.

It's a shame because it seems like so much effort went into crafting the intricate stages, but in the end the major shortcuts just ended up extremely over effective and most of the routes through the stages become pointless.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 08:43 AM #11 of 67
Originally Posted by Elixir
Also, Final Fantasy 6.

Spoiler:
The world crashes, then you find your friends and kill Kefka. Wow, predictable. It's like the team lost all incentive to properly continue the game on a certain point. Which is a shame, because it's a really good game. Up until that part.
Um, there's quite a bit of stuff that happens between the first event and you going after the antagonist. I'd say, if you have any appreciation for the characters, you'd go out to find them as each character you find, you learn much more about that characters story and personality. Terra in Mobliz, Strago's old enemies, Relm's Painting, Shadow's Past, Cyan's Past, and let's not even go to Locke's relationship with Rachel. It's pretty deep even after the midway point. You find their motivation and as you progress, you learn to hate Kefka more and more constantly.

devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:51 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 02:51 PM #12 of 67
Originally Posted by Zip
Tomb Raider legend. I wanted 2-3 more levels .
I heard TR: Legend was quite small... long gone are the days of Tomb Raider 4 where I wasted way over 100 hours to finish that game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 05:35 PM #13 of 67
Well i loved the game, even if it was short. I liked the time trail aspect of it and there are a bunch of new costumes to download and i personally enjoy that a lot . I still replay a couple of the levels now and then.

no homo
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 09:58 AM #14 of 67
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Zone of the Enders games for the PS2 yet. They were both surprisingly short, but they were still great nonetheless.

It was funny though, because the first Z.O.E. was the very first game I played on the PS2. Suffice to say, I was pretty shocked when I beat the game in less than six hours. Not a very good opening experience with a new console, but I eventually came to love the game (after initially trading it in and then buying it again later on).

Seconded. I rarely beat games quickly and this one just shocked me especially as I was getting into it. It didn't help that many gaming publications hyped it up as Zelda with mechs. I was under the impression that the game would feature at least 20 hours of gameplay and some clever dungeons and puzzles. Nope. None of the sort. However I hear that Z.O.E.2 is supposed to be superior to the original.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 12:38 PM #15 of 67
Yeah, The Second Runner is the better game, but its main game still isn't that much longer than the first one's. It does have more extra stuff to do though, so that gives it a little more length as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:50 PM #16 of 67
These instantly popped into my mind:

Psychonauts - The humour here was golden and the concept of going into everyone's mind fascinated me! I was very saddened from the point when some of the teachers' minds disappeared. Sure you have a couple of really spacious minds to explore after that (Napoleon World anyone?), but when the friendly camp atmosphere went away, I had a feeling that the game was ending soon, and it ended way too soon

Wild Arms 4 - It was so sweet to keep fighting all the members of the elite forces throughout the game. When you get to the last member of the elite forces, you are actually smack at the end of the game. I was totally caught off guard by this, and saddened as well. That last area didn't feel as brutal as some other final rpg areas.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 03:21 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 10:21 PM #17 of 67
I thought psychonauts was the perfect lenght. It finnished good and strong. Only thing i wanted is to able to explore after the game.

no homo
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 03:24 PM #18 of 67
As crazy as this may sound, Xenogears seemed a little short. I did put 80 hours into the game, but the entire 2nd disc went way too fast.

I also felt like Ico went really fast. It didnt take me longer than 2 days to beat it.

Metal Gear Solid. The first run through felt pretty substantial but my later runs just felt so short. I think I beat the game in less than 4 hours my last run.

Katamari Damacy. Its pretty much over before you know it. But its worth it for 20 bucks for sure. As well as all those crazy images.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 03:20 PM #19 of 67
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
Katamari Damacy. Its pretty much over before you know it. But its worth it for 20 bucks for sure. As well as all those crazy images.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this one. I felt I progressed too fast and on Dec 26, I beat this Xmas present. So much for long lived fun. And WLK didn't seem that much of a difference too, although it depends if you got the missions successful the first time around.

- What we all do best -
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 12:19 AM #20 of 67
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
Thirded. Beat it in less than 10 hours, and that was going slowly and re-playing levels now and then. It's one of those games that's more about going back and beating your high scores than about seeing the credits roll, but still... Good game, just way too damn SHORT. Especially when you consider that some maps are re-used upwards of three or four times.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms wasn't TOO too short, but enough that the ending came absolutely out of the blue. When I saw the credits start to roll after doing what seemed like a mid-campaign filler mission, my reaction was, ".........that's IT?!"

Same with Thief 3. It felt too short anyway, but the final mission is just so lacking that it made a bad thing worse. The endings of both games come utterly out of the blue because of (1) a lack of any significant plot developments in the last mission or any real lead-up to to final boss, and (2) the fact that said final mission isn't even as hard or interesting as some of the mid-game areas. Disappointment.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 01:51 AM #21 of 67

Mario is Missing - NES
I must have finished this in about 3 hours.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 09:12 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 07:12 PM #22 of 67
Originally Posted by Domino

Mario is Missing - NES
I must have finished this in about 3 hours.
Then you, sir, are a complete hero. The half hour I spent with this had me totally lost. "WTF do I do with this shit" I would say, then turn it off and load up another run of Mega Man X. =\

How ya doing, buddy?
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 07:18 PM #23 of 67
Silent Hill 3. Awesome game, but it only took me about five hours to beat it the first time. My record is one hour and forty-two minutes. The game is truly, utterly, short.

FELIPE NO

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:13 PM #24 of 67
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Silent Hill 3. Awesome game, but it only took me about five hours to beat it the first time. My record is one hour and forty-two minutes. The game is truly, utterly, short.
I played Silent Hill 3 at college with the rest of my co-ed floor. It was really fun because people who hate video games came out and watched me play. It was like an interactive horror movie. Too bad it was such a good game.

Most amazing jew boots
VitaPup
X-Man

Member 4740

Level 14.81

Apr 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:06 AM #25 of 67
Man almost ALL the early PS2 games. To name a few that havent already been said, Onimusha and Shadows of Destiny.

I played Mario RPG for the first time a year ago and was surprised about how quickly I got through with the same. Damn that Smithy.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > "Wait, the game is already over?"