Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] So you thought Australia were oppressive when it came to vidya violence?

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:28 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 02:28 PM #1 of 9
So you thought Australia were oppressive when it came to vidya violence?

In a move that will probably have repercussions for nobody except possibly Germany, Switzerland have moved to put in place legislation that makes the PEGI system mandatory and at the same time bans the sale of anything rated 16+ or 18+. Of course it's not actually law yet but in the country where straying a couple of miles an hour over the hilariously slow speed limit can net you a driving ban and gun ownership is mandatory, the combination of nanny state and easy access to the tools needed for a US-style kid-slaying rampage suggest it'll get passed.

Quote:
The motion allows for a ban on the “manufacture, touting, importation, sale and distribution of game program... in which cruel acts of violence against humans and human-like creatures” occurs.
So if anyone here lives in Switzerland, they'd best stock up on vidya nasties now...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:22 PM #2 of 9
What we have here, as I see it, is a failure of logic. How else do you on the one hand recognize that there are games suitable for a mature audience, then on the other hand tell said audience 'no, you can't buy these'? I imagine that the very premise would come across as insulting to most adults...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:26 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 12:26 PM #3 of 9
What we have here, as I see it, is a failure of logic. How else do you on the one hand recognize that there are games suitable for a mature audience, then on the other hand tell said audience 'no, you can't buy these'? I imagine that the very premise would come across as insulting to most adults...
Not really a lack of logic, as such. Think of it more as "here's the rating system we're going to use to enforce this ban."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:47 PM #4 of 9
Seems to me it must stem from the complete unwillingness to believe that video games could ever be intended for anyone but children. I remember seeing idiots on the news who were insisting Mass Effect needed an AO rating because "Grown ups won't be playing game, let's stop kidding ourselves!".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"Out thought and out fought."
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:53 PM 1 #5 of 9
Seems to me it must stem from the complete unwillingness to believe that video games could ever be intended for anyone but children...
Yes, thank you; that's it exactly. Some folks' ability to ignore the actual composition of the 'gamer demographic' is quite astounding, no?

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:08 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2010, 03:08 AM #6 of 9
YouTube Video

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:45 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2010, 12:45 PM #7 of 9
I fucking hate Titchmarsh. That interview was almost frighteningly biased from the start, but then that show goes out in the early afternoon so most people watching would be either retired or the very small amount of stay at home parents who'd not find anything better on than that. I'm surprised by Kelvin Mackenzie's stance though, he's normally first onboard for a bit of villification.

FELIPE NO
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:55 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2010, 02:55 PM #8 of 9
It's like Daily Mail - The Show.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] So you thought Australia were oppressive when it came to vidya violence?