Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Games that "ABSOLUTELY" deserve a remake or sequel.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:53 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2009, 12:53 AM #26 of 112
I had great fun playing this back in the day, and would love to see how a next-gen re-interpretation would pan out. The simple pogo-stick mechanic may not translate well to modern audiences, but still, it made for hours of entertainment

This game supposedly had a lot of material planned for the SNES CD attachment, which fell through. It would be nice to see a remake of this game, now that space is no longer a limiting factor.

Great story initially, although it bogs down into a loooong fetch quest at the middle of the game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:10 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 06:10 PM #27 of 112
And a proper sequel to Elite is the most overdue thing ever, ever, ever, ever although the fact that David Braben and Ian Bell aren't on speaking terms any more would make that a bit unlikely though, sadly. I know the trading was taken up by Eve Online and there have been things like Privateer but it'd be awesome to have a first-person space flight sim that had the scope of the original Elite but with planets round the systems and cities on the planets and so forth. It's have to be an online game using the direct streaming thing Dave Perry keeps banging on about because you'd never fit all that information on a disk but if it was released then I'd probably never leave the house again.
I agree completely. Frontier and First Encounters weren't terrible once they'd been patched to fix all the bugs, but they also weren't quite the same quality as Elite.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:36 PM #28 of 112
Planescape: Torment. The ending is wide-open, the property is available, and the acclaim is there. It would even be nice to see a new version for better resolution monitors; the sprites were big and detailed enough that it would still look pretty dang good despite being 10 years old.

Radiata Stories. I'm in the minority here, but I thought this was funny as hell and extremely original to boot. The ending(s) stank, though; something to consider.

Crystalis (from the NES). I'm shocked--SHOCKED--that no one has unearthed this and dusted it off yet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:17 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 11:17 AM #29 of 112

I know I sound like a broken record, but... get your ass to work, Capcom.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:35 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 10:35 AM 1 #30 of 112

If anything needs to be remade, it's Road Rash. When I played Pure and fucked somebody up by accidentally landing on top of them after a jump, I instantly thought of how awesome a current-gen Road Rash update would be.

Also this.

Escape from Monster Manor creeped me the fuck out when I was a kid. Sometimes you'd turn a corner and come up against as many as 5 of these guys at a time. The blue ones took two hits to bring down, and ammo was extremely scarce.

There were also these twitchy disembodied heads that would float around and ruin your shit because the controls made it so hard to aim at such small targets. I was never able to finish the game, but it seems to be available on emulators, judging from this pic I just found. May have to track it down.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:37 PM #31 of 112

Some people may scoff since this game is, itself, a sequel, though I consider it more of a reboot. The point is that TM:B was a fantastic game on a single-player basis, but tragically peaked before it could realize its fullest potential in multiplayer. At the time of TM:B's release, online console multiplayer was experiencing its pioneer days. True, you could play this game online, but it lagged like mad. It simply wasn't worth the effort.

Fast forward nearly a decade. With most major consoles successfully promoting online experiences (Get with the program Wii) the time to revisit the Twisted Metal franchise is now. Playing against the AI is fine but I've always felt the game worked best in human-to-human interaction. This was available but demanded a split screen. Now it is no longer necessary.

This is the kind of fast-paced, action intensive game that could easily flourish amidst opportunities for trash-talking over Skype. Perhaps some options for vehicle customization and some exclusive head-to-head levels not found in the single player mode would improve the experience.

It just seems like a lot of fun is being missed out upon because developers seem to think the series is done.

FELIPE NO
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:02 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 03:02 PM #32 of 112

I mean come on! You got to fly around a bunch of floating islands in your awesome ship, make discoveries, explore impressive dungeons, recruit crew members to work on your ship, own your own base, and fight in epic ship battles. This game was so amazing and Sega need to get the development team responsible to create a new sequel on one of the 3 platforms. I think the Wii would be perfect for it, actually.

The 3 main characters had cameos in Valkyria Chronicles and some of the staff responsible for Skies worked on that project too. Come on, Sega! Make it happen!
This beats all other games in the thread.

Oh and Shenmue 2 sequel.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:09 PM #33 of 112
Sorry, they're busy working on other amazing games like White Knight Chronicles.

Spoiler:
Except that game has been out for a few months over half a year on the moon.

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:55 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 08:55 PM #34 of 112
And isn't out in sensible places until 2010.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:21 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 02:21 PM 2 #35 of 112

I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying this: Grim Fandango is the greatest game ever made. It was a story that was both ahead of its time and rooted in its mythology. It also has one of the wittiest characters in gaming history, quite possibly the greatest soundtrack ever composed for a video game and the kind of humor and spunk that only Tim Schafer could provide.

It also needs to be remade with updated graphics and its vast grim landscapes. You know, the way it was intended. BADLY.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:24 PM #36 of 112
Honestly part of the charm is its graphics. I think if you remade it with updated graphics it would lose some charm.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:57 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 02:57 PM #37 of 112
Agreeing like crazy for a Twisted Metal: Black 2. Even though it'd most likely be on the ps3 only.

How about this mother fucker:

This game did the force better than The Force Unleashed could ever hope to have accomplished, and was on top of that, a fairly decent third person shooter. More important is the fact that guns had absolutely no real bearing on things. Not only could you lift, throw, burn, mind control, crush, and otherwise utterly destroy all of your enemies without them, but it was far more satisfying. Too bad Midway is going under. Not only that but I heard they got sued over this game for some sort of idea theft. Still, I'd like to see the team behind it make something with at least a similar concept. I can't really think of a game besides this one that has done mind powers like telenkinesis as competently or successfully.

How ya doing, buddy?
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:41 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 05:41 PM 1 #38 of 112
If they were going to attack a Planescape sequel, I think I'd actually prefer a new game in the same setting. While the Nameless One does have a ride off into the sunset resolution, I think that the progress you make in uncovering his past would hamstring a new plot. Better to find a new, interesting, planar being and write a game about them, while using some of the characters from the other game.

X-COM is easily one of the best strategy RPGs that was ever put out. Unfortunately, the second attempt was just a graphics swap with a forgettable basis, while the third was basically a mess that tried too much and ended up half finished. Its been over a decade, and I would love to see a reboot of the series with actual turn based combat, a global (possibly multi-planet) focus, and a reasonable set of new features.

Also:
Spoiler:

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:44 PM #39 of 112
This beats all other games in the thread.
Hmm, a fun little JRPG that came and went like a fart in a room of baked beans or the best tactics simulator ever made for a console that nearly didn't make it to America because of it's obvious criticisms of the Catholic church.

Which one is better I wonder...?

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:57 PM 2 #40 of 112
Mutant League Hockey.

That game was just pure awesomeness on the Sega Genesis. There was another, Mutant League Football, but it wasn't as fun to me as hockey. Somehow though, the game series never materialized past those two games.

I think having a remake of MLH would be awesome, especially with online play. Perhaps as added content, they could make a four-way Mutant League Hockey Game where North, South, East, and West all have hockey nets.

They could even have different modes. The usual 'most points in the game' would be one, but another could be 'pure elimination' where the winning team is that which survives.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:18 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 04:18 PM #41 of 112
Honestly part of the charm is its graphics. I think if you remade it with updated graphics it would lose some charm.
I wouldn't want to change the graphics either. I'd just like to see them look a lot more polished.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:33 PM #42 of 112
I couldn't think of any games to fit this thread because I wasn't as avid a gamer back in the day than I am now (meaning I played all of the popular ones, but none of the more obscure ones). Then I read Zergrinch's post, and it hit me.

We need some Seiken Densetsu 4 (also known as Secret of Mana series). Too bad I can't see Squaresoft (Or Square-Enix (Or Square-Enix-Eidos if you really want to be current)) doing anything outside of continuously milking the Final Fantasy VII franchise for eternity, or just the Final Fantasy franchise in general.

Speaking of Squaresoft, there are a hell of a lot more series that they dropped along the way. Another one that comes to mind is Super Mario RPG. Vagrant Story would be another.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:59 PM #43 of 112
Another one that comes to mind is Super Mario RPG.
I think Nintendo took that series back over when they started making Paper Mario games. Yeah, I know we'll never see Geno or Mallow again, but, seriously? Who used Mallow once they had either Bowser or Toadstool?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:23 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2009, 08:23 AM #44 of 112

X-COM is easily one of the best strategy RPGs that was ever put out. Unfortunately, the second attempt was just a graphics swap with a forgettable basis, while the third was basically a mess that tried too much and ended up half finished. Its been over a decade, and I would love to see a reboot of the series with actual turn based combat, a global (possibly multi-planet) focus, and a reasonable set of new features.
Not really a remake, but a spiritual cousin!
YouTube Video
We need some Seiken Densetsu 4 (also known as Secret of Mana series). Too bad I can't see Squaresoft (Or Square-Enix (Or Square-Enix-Eidos if you really want to be current)) doing anything outside of continuously milking the Final Fantasy VII franchise for eternity, or just the Final Fantasy franchise in general.
YouTube Video
You know this as Dawn of Mana, but it IS Seiken Densetsu 4

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:36 PM 1 #45 of 112
I think Nintendo took that series back over when they started making Paper Mario games. Yeah, I know we'll never see Geno or Mallow again, but, seriously? Who used Mallow once they had either Bowser or Toadstool?
The Mario and Luigi series rounded up a lot of the talent behind SMRPG, actually. They've got Chihiro Fujioka, Yoko Shimomura, and even a cameo from Geno.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:34 PM 1 #46 of 112
I still don't like the idea of this thread - but some of you mutherfuckers have EXCELLENT taste in games.

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:39 PM #47 of 112
The Mario and Luigi series rounded up a lot of the talent behind SMRPG, actually. They've got Chihiro Fujioka, Yoko Shimomura, and even a cameo from Geno.
Wait, where was geno? I remember seeing Mr. Saturn faces in the Shroomtalk, but.

FELIPE NO
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:41 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 06:41 PM #48 of 112
Wait, where was geno? I remember seeing Mr. Saturn faces in the Shroomtalk, but.
Going off of memory, he gives a tutorial on one of the arcade games in Little Fungitown. It's very subtle, but it is him, as the credits thank Square-Enix for allowing his likeness in the game.

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:49 PM #49 of 112
YouTube Video
You know this as Dawn of Mana, but it IS Seiken Densetsu 4
Ugh...But Seiken Densetsu 3 was so good. How could they have screwed this up so badly?

Alright then, let's rephrase that. Assuming we called Seiken Densetsu 3 "Secret of Mana 2," I would like "Secret of Mana 3." And while you're at it, "Legend of Mana 2" as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:14 PM #50 of 112

I think its time Rare dusts off Kuros' armor and blade and allow us to step back into the land of Elrond again to face the evil Malkil once again.

Dunno about you guys, but I enjoyed the Wizards and Warriors series. I never had a chance to play 3, since I couldn't find it anywhere like Funcoland (back in the day). Although I did like 1 better than 2. Just mindless slash and jump fun. I've often wondered what a next-gen "reimagination" or sequel would be like with this series.

Breath of Fire needs a jump start, in a big way. Like perhaps a PSP/DS remake of the first game. I also agree that Dragon Quarter was a big pile of fail.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Games that "ABSOLUTELY" deserve a remake or sequel.