Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Attention] The GFF Gamers Month

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 03:09 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 10:09 PM #101 of 211
So I just posted my take on F-Zero GX since I Had May 8th. I'm sorry if I came in a little early, time zones you know.

So, I can't be the only fan around? Got any good memories to share?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 03:16 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 02:16 PM 1 #102 of 211
To this day I use the track NIGHT OF BIG BLUE to magically turn my Oldsmobile in a god damn spaceship capable of hurtling me through time to get to my destination before I even leave from my apartment.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old May 8, 2009, 03:32 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 02:32 PM #103 of 211
I'm glad someone did a review of this, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

I remember unlocking the diamond cup a few days ago and discovering the track with no guardrails and diverging options (trident?). By the time I survived a race, I had gone through about 7 races and still had 2 extra machines. Only about 15 ships survived my last run.

Also, I shouldn't have used the White Cat right off the bat. I can't seem to get used to any other vehicle that doesn't turn on a dime and never lose control.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 03:54 PM #104 of 211
F-Zero... I love the game to death, but I can't seem to advance anywhere in it.

Bought it a couple months ago for 8 bux at Gamestop. The game is so damn difficult.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 04:30 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 11:30 PM #105 of 211
Remember that hard version of Mute City where there's a 90 degree turn without handrails? Mother of god

It's all about learning the tracks I gues.

How ya doing, buddy?

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old May 8, 2009, 04:37 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 03:37 PM #106 of 211
i usually just hang around in the middle of the pack for the first lap or so on a new track and just follow the computers so i don't die quite as often. But yes, once you get into the higher difficulties you pretty much just need to know what's coming to have any chance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
MrMonkeyMan
MrMonkeyMan?

Member 585

Level 14.23

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 04:48 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 02:48 PM 6 #107 of 211
F-Zero GX is easy. Just follow this simple visual guide.

YouTube Video

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
-
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 05:24 PM #108 of 211
F-Zero GX is easy. Just follow this simple visual guide.

YouTube Video
Oh lawdy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 9, 2009, 04:40 PM Local time: May 9, 2009, 04:40 PM #109 of 211
Glad that you messaged me Angel, as I had mentally flaked that this was coming up, and probably would have missed my day otherwise. Hopefully the review is up to snuff, as I had to bang it out between travel prep.

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 12:23 AM Local time: May 11, 2009, 01:53 AM #110 of 211
First of all, I just want to say that I am absolutely impressed with everyone's entries. With the event reaching its half way point everyone is doing a great job with their entries and its even got me interested in some titles that I have never had a chance to play.

With how Omagnus Prime and Qwarky have described their games, I'm actually interested in giving them a shot. Especially ICO because I've always haeard of this game but I never ever knew what it was. With how Qwarky have described the visuals for this game I think I'm in for a real treat. With Shenmue/Shenmue II, I have always known from various gaming TV shows that they were great games because of the level of interaction. I know the story is a little spoiled since I read Omagnus's Entry, but I still want to experience the gameplay. These games are on my hit list so hopefully I can play them soon. It seems like Omagnus these games like to give you a little hate because they seem to tease you a lot.

I would also like to take this opportunity to provide some of my personal gaming experiences with some of the games that have been mentioned thus far.

Chaotic's Game: I actually never got into DDR until really late. I had already finished my university degree, and was actually thinking of going after a second one when I experienced DDR for the first time. I was actually 24 years old. It is actually kind of funny how I got into DDR for the first time. It was actually after we had a Halloween fest at the anime society. That night we had gotten a ride to one of my friends house. As I was getting out of the car, and holding the door for one of the girls to come out. She actually slammed the door while my fingers were on top of the door jamming on of my fingers. I was actually bleeding pretty bad when I walked into his house, so I went to the bathroom to get myself cleaned up. I was actually in a lot of pain so thankfully my friend had some painkillers. So I took quite a few that night.

In his basement he had a lot of people downstairs and they were all playing DDR. He had all the mixes and even two cobalt flux dance pads. I knew about the game at the arcade, but as much as I wanted to play it I was too embarrassed to play it in front of everybody. As the night went on the painkillers started to kick in, and I just didn't give a shit anymore. I decided to try it, and I failed miserably but I had a lot of fun so I kept trying it, and throughout the entire night I managed to go from beginner to light mode.

After that, I played it every weekend at his house, when he use to have a lot of people over. I still didn't want to play at the arcade, in front of a lot of strangers because I thought I would get a little embarrassed. As soon as I started to get into the harder standard songs and easier heavy songs. I decided to bridge that gap from playing at home to playing at the arcade. The biggest thing I take from this game, is that it got me into being active again, since I lost a lot of drive to play sports when I finished university. In two years when I use to play this game at the arcade 3 to 4 times a week for about two years I had lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately I had put that weight back on again, but anytime I come home from working out in Alberta I try to get in a scatter game or two. I pretty good at the game, but I've still yet to pass my first ten footer.

The other big thing that I take from this game, is that this game introduced to me Trance Music. I have always been a big fan of dance music ever since high school. As sad as it sound but this game actually helped me identify different types of dance music. My favorite artist has always been dj TAKA, and I just love it how he incorporates piano into his music, such as tracks like Frozen Ray, Pandora, Votum Stellarum, .59, Rainbow Flyer and I roughly like about 90% of his music. I even prefer his style of trance over a lot of big artists in trance music such as Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, and many others.

In my house I only own US Versions of all the PS2 Mixes, but I don't have any interest in picking up any of the JP releases. I hope to eventually get time and try some of the UltraMix versions for the XBox, and the Universe Mixes for the 360. My favorite US versions are DDR-Max and DDR-Extreme, DDRMax because it just has so many of my favourite songs; they have two healing visions, two versions of look to the sky, gambol, stomp to my beat, dark black forest, and many others. DDR-Extreme put a lot of the older songs on a PS2 engine such as Wonderland, Kick the Can, Do Me (H.I.G.E.O Mix), plus it has a lot of stuff by dj Taka. My favourite JP Release, is actually DDR Party Collection; despite having a small song list, it has a lot of awesome songs such as Freedom, Stars, Orion .78 (AM-Euro Mix), Dub I Dub, and El Ritmo Tropical.

Worm's Game: To be honest Worm, I don't have much to say about this game Worm. I first noticed this game from when I had the Nintendo Power magazine subscription. I played this game as a kid and probably got to the same point that everybody else did which was the speeder bike level and just found it too hard and gave up. I never touched the game since. With how you described your review Worm it seems like this game may not be as hard as many people have claimed it to be. I haven't played it in such a long time, I think it's worth for me to give it another try.

Acer's Game: The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past was one of the first snes games I had ever owned. I had rented a lot of other snes games. I never had much of an opportunity to own very many of them. I actually had to fight a very personal battle to actually own this game. To the people that actually know me well. I have a fear of open water, but this fear is mostly based upon the fear of drowning (aquaphobia).

One summer my parents decided to sign me up for swimming lessons, much to my disapproval because they didn't want me to sit around the house playing video games all summer. My siblings and myself joined up for swimming lessons at the same time. While it only took my two younger siblings two lessons to get through the beginner level, it actually took me the entire summer to actually get through beginner but what kept my motivation up is that even though my mom knew I didn't like swimming she told me that if I could pass the beginner level, she would actually buy me a snes game. That was all I needed to hear, knowing that I really wanted to pass the beginner course for swimming. I knew it was definitely a luxury because in the early to mid 1990's snes games in my hometown were $80-$100 to buy. I actually managed to pass the beginner course, and my mom asked me to pick out the game I wanted. I told here I wanted to get the Legend of Zelda. That is the game she bought for me.

The problem with most of the snes games, I owned is that I beat them too quickly. This game however actually took me a long time to finish. I think it might of been 3-4 months for me to actually finish it for the first time. I had a hard time with the ice dungeon, but it was actually worth the money to buy it. Even though now I could probably finish it in two days. It is one of my favorite games I played as a teen. After that summer, I never signed up for swimming again, but my wife is trying her best to help me overcome my fear of the water. I guess more than anything else, I helped get over my fear for a chance to own a great video game.

By the way Acer, the first time I beat the game, I actually managed to get into that secret location too with all the blue gems, the first time I tried to drop down the pyramid to defeat Ganon. I never been able to get to that area ever since.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 12:36 AM Local time: May 10, 2009, 10:36 PM #111 of 211
Fantastic review of Shenmue, Omagnus. I never got around to buying the second installment though. I still have the original but I only finished the game once because my first disc reads some kind of error and won't load anymore.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 12:38 AM #112 of 211
Angel, if there's two Japanese releases you should be interested in, it should be EXTREME and SuperNOVA2.

Honestly, they're the two best home versions available.

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 12:56 AM Local time: May 11, 2009, 02:26 AM #113 of 211
Angel, if there's two Japanese releases you should be interested in, it should be EXTREME and SuperNOVA2.

Honestly, they're the two best home versions available.
Well I never had a chance to play SuperNOVA 2 JP, but Extreme is all right, but the general consensus around my ddr community is that the reason why everyone likes Extreme is because of all the 10's and flashing 10's and of course Max period. You know, each to their own; we all have our own tastes and I can't hold anybody against their taste. I haven't even passed a 10 footer yet.

I do like some a lot of the songs on JP Extreme such as Last Message, Heaven is a 57', Twin Bee, Frozen Ray, Tears, and Xenon.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 01:18 AM #114 of 211
Extreme is all right, but the general consensus around my ddr community is that the reason why everyone likes Extreme is because of all the 10's and flashing 10's and of course Max period.
Wat.

I could careless about all the 10 footers in the game. Aside from all the 10s, the game has an excellent selection of songs.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 01:18 AM Local time: May 11, 2009, 06:18 AM #115 of 211
With Shenmue/Shenmue II, I have always known from various gaming TV shows that they were great games because of the level of interaction. I know the story is a little spoiled since I read Omagnus's Entry, but I still want to experience the gameplay.
I know it seems like I've spoiled the story a little, but trust me that with Shenmue, they're the sort of games where the end point is sort of obvious, it's the journey taken that matters, and most of that comes through your interaction with the world. Plus, my summary of the stories are the ultra highlighted, cut-down cliff-notes version, there's a lot more that goes on that I've not touched on.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 01:21 AM Local time: May 11, 2009, 08:21 AM #116 of 211
Plus there's nothing like looking for some sailors.

Old May 11, 2009, 07:53 AM #117 of 211
By the way Acer, the first time I beat the game, I actually managed to get into that secret location too with all the blue gems, the first time I tried to drop down the pyramid to defeat Ganon. I never been able to get to that area ever since.
Fantastic story, AOL. And that's awesome that you found that room as well. Basically you have a really really really really small chance of finding it due to a glitch with falling into holes and entering houses/caves. The game scans for the glitch and if it occurs it defaults to transporting you to the Chris Houlihan room instead of completely fucking up. It's kind of a neat failsafe that rewards players. A "sorry you didn't get to where you wanted, here's a room full of rupees and a congratulations" of sorts.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 05:09 PM #118 of 211
Thanks Angel for the PM, this had totally slipped my mind... As such, I ended up throwing this together over the past couple of hours. It's a little haphazard, in that I couldn't really seem to arrange a cohesive train of thought, but it's better than nothing. I hope.

How ya doing, buddy?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 05:19 PM Local time: May 11, 2009, 04:19 PM #119 of 211
Doesn't the fact that you (and many others) go back and play it on a regular basis prove that it's "stood the test of time"?

Just wonderin'

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 06:56 PM Local time: May 11, 2009, 04:56 PM #120 of 211
Quote:
and definitely cannot stand up to some newer stuff that's around
What current generation RPGs are as fun as FF3? Other than perhaps the remakes out for the DS due to increased portability.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 07:46 PM #121 of 211
Well, there's so many differing opinions, so to speak. For example, I enjoyed FFXII, even though it started out kind of slow. And the Tales series. I'm sure there are others too who would say they enjoyed a certain game, and more who would say they didn't.

What I meant is that graphically it doesn't really stand up. I guess that's a given though. And a DS-remake of FFIII/VI would be awesome.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 11:26 PM Local time: May 11, 2009, 09:26 PM #122 of 211
I dunno; I feel late-generation sprites hold up a lot better than the super-polygon characters of PSX days. I mean, Secret of Mana is still one hell of a beautiful game.

Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 11:32 PM 1 #123 of 211
I hate JRPGs and still can't deny FFVI's charm. Admittedly, I like the music and setting more than the actual game, but it made a lasting impression on me, which is more than I can say for VII or anything afterwards. And personally, I thought the World of Ruin's design was a high point. If there's one thing the genre needs, it's less railroading.

Oh, and I prop for this guy:

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 11:56 PM Local time: May 11, 2009, 09:56 PM #124 of 211
Less railroading but more Phantom Railroading, right?

(Except when Cyan's family is involved. )

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2009, 01:45 AM Local time: May 12, 2009, 08:45 AM #125 of 211
I played FF6 years too late and it was still magnificent. I also feel the beautiful 2D graphics have aged far better than the 3D of FF8 or 9.

(I'm one of the very few who likes the gouraud shading of 7)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Attention] The GFF Gamers Month