Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Mass Effect 2 - Skills would do a romance sub-plot but he has work in the morning

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hopeā„¢

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 04:15 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2009, 04:15 PM #26 of 116
Maybe you'll have to create a new character at the onset of the game, and at a certain point, you get to pick up Shepard again - which makes sense in terms of carrying over the same character from the first game. That way all the high-level abilities and weapons Shepard has doesn't go to waste.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 04:19 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2009, 02:19 PM #27 of 116
That actually kind of makes sense, NP. But then what about the character you just spent time working on? New party member, maybe? Geth food, maybe?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:13 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 08:13 AM 1 #28 of 116
So they were just kidding about Shepard being dead. Not that we didn't already know that.

I can only assume it would be pretty difficult to effectively carry out your spec ops duties while simultaneously being the most famous human in the known galaxy, hence the fake death.

"Oh, Shepard's dead, now we can go back to being nefarious in human space with no human Spectre to bother us!"

"Hey sup."

"Shepard? But you're dead. I just saw it on the news last week!"

"No, you." +25 Renegade

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 07:33 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 05:33 PM #29 of 116
Mass Effect 2 Video Game, E3 09: Extended Cut Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

The new trailer looks pretty damned sweet. I hope they put back in the able to disrupt a character in mid sentence and it sounds like they're going to revamp the combat from interviews I have read. Oh and hopefully they fix the Mako's controls and improve the texture pop in. Otherwise this is a day one purchase for me no contest. I'll more than likely pick up the limited edition like I did with the original. Hell I just recently bought the two books and the soundtrack.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:26 PM #30 of 116
I have gone to a conference 2 weeks ago from the creator of mass effect and they were talking about the development of ME2. Basically, what they said about ME2 is they don't want to reproduce all the problem they had with the first (texture pop-in, bad frame rate, etc). They are making sure that ME2 is playable at all time, even if at the start it was just gray box, dummy and text pop-in for cinematic.

That way they were making sure that everything worked as they planned and knew if the pacing was right.

but in a game development, bad frame rate and other problems like that often get corrected at the end of development, it's a way to polish the game.

But the way they talk, the bad frame rate of the first is the one thing that really bothered them and are making sure it doesn't happen in the second. That and all the elevator thing lol

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:54 PM #31 of 116
Could you type a legible sentence just once, Inhert? Christ almighty.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the song is thats used in the E3 trailer, lemme know.

How ya doing, buddy?
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:43 PM #32 of 116
well sorry Lehah, I know you might have heard this excuse before but English is not my first language... (French is my native language)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:05 PM #33 of 116
well sorry Lehah, I know you might have heard this excuse before but English is not my first language... (French is my native language)
I think the ideas of capitalization and proper punctuation are well known in France.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:09 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 09:09 PM #34 of 116
Yeah, but people in Quebec rarely receive any sort of proper education.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:09 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 09:09 PM #35 of 116
He's from Quebec, you're expecting way too much from him. I always wonder if English is anywhere in his first fifteen languages though.

About the trailer music, according to the Bioware forums, the song was custom by Bioware for the trailer.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:12 PM #36 of 116
So I guess if I'm not American, I shouldn't even try to be on this board...

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:20 PM #37 of 116
So I guess if I'm not American, I shouldn't even try to be on this board...
So when you finally listen and type write - you get emo.

STOP THAT.

About the trailer music, according to the Bioware forums, the song was custom by Bioware for the trailer.
I hope this is a sign of the direction the music is headed. ME had some bitchin tunes in it.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:34 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 08:34 PM #38 of 116
From the looks of the trailer, we might be exploring more Cities and not just Ice_Planet_A, Lava_World_2 and Underground_Bunker_Gamma, which would be a welcome mix-up. Not that I minded traveling and uncovering alien worlds, but there wasn't quite enough variety. It seemed like the only cities you visited were direct story-line related. Ah well, probably a minor complaint of just my own.

Most amazing jew boots
Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:22 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2009, 09:22 PM #39 of 116
So when you finally listen and type write
Quote:
type write
Anyway am I the only person who thought that the music in the trailer was NIN's The Day The World Went Away at first? Especially since they were blasting Manson through the Dragon Age trailer.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:14 AM #40 of 116
Oh ho ho, Jessy caught my joke!

Someone crown her queen of the paste-eating crowd!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:37 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2009, 03:37 AM #41 of 116
Oh ho ho, go fucking kill yourself.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:58 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2009, 11:58 AM #42 of 116
From the looks of the trailer, we might be exploring more Cities and not just Ice_Planet_A, Lava_World_2 and Underground_Bunker_Gamma, which would be a welcome mix-up. Not that I minded traveling and uncovering alien worlds, but there wasn't quite enough variety. It seemed like the only cities you visited were direct story-line related. Ah well, probably a minor complaint of just my own.
That was perhaps the biggest of several let-downs for me in the first game. All the publicity crap before it came out banged on about how rather than just visiting five planets all game (Like KOTOR), there were whole galaxies to explore. What they didn't mention was that each one had about three visitable planets in and those were all basically featureless wastelands with cut and paste bunkers dropped in from time to time and the bulk of the game would actually take place on no more than about seven planets.

There was also the whole switching characters in combat thing, the interupting conversations, the being able to have a conversation with every single npc, the decisions you make actually effecting the story and it not looking like Quake 3 running on a 486 with the graphics setting turned up to max. I liked Mass Effect well enough but god damn was it nothing at all like what they promised. One would hope that this time round they'll either actually put in one or two of the features they promise or they'll just shut the fuck up rather than making shit up constantly. I honestly think that Mass Effect was a contender for Fable's crown of "Most lies told about a computer game by the developers prior to release".

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:50 AM #43 of 116
Oh ho ho, go fucking kill yourself.
YOU'D LIKE THAT

BUT I'M MORE LIKE CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT THAN DAVID CARRIDINE

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:36 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 11:36 PM #44 of 116
I honestly think that Mass Effect was a contender for Fable's crown of "Most lies told about a computer game by the developers prior to release".
The E3 Prelude Video they released a bit back says they're still suffering Molyneux syndrome. Derek Watts, the guy in the checker shirt, is particularly bad in this respect, trying to play it up like its the darkest shit you've ever seen.

Also, their comments about the shifted color palette kind of annoy. A game doesn't have to be pastel, but I like some color and a game I don't have to play on Gamma -> Max. Plus, dark color != grit. Did they not see Doom 3? Worry I'll spend the entire damn thing trying to distinguish varying shades of black from one another.

On the city scenes shown in the previews, one and all those look like shots of the Citadel arms which you can see from the scenic outlooks in ME1. It appears they're just going to have you go down into them. Course, if the Citadel section is anything other than endless Financial -> Markets -> Financial -> C-Sec fetch quest runs it will be an improvement.

Really, I hope for ME2 they just kill the Mako garbage completely. When ME1 was on its game, doing well scripted / designed missions, it was one of the better RPGs to come out in a long time. I enjoyed the hell out of Noveria, Feros, Virmire, ect... But the randomized worlds were god awful, and enough to make you forget any successes. Hell, even Diablo level randomization of the bunker interiors would have been a slight step up. Even the DLC was more of that crap.

Just completed an achievement run through, so the annoyance is still fresh.

Ati
Wark!

Member 34495

Level 2.00

Sep 2009

Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:38 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2009, 08:38 AM #45 of 116
Quote:
I'll take Wrex as the protagonist any day. God that would be so awesome.
What if Wrex was killed? Kinda hard to take him as a protagonist then. I'd rather take an Asari protagonist.

Ati
Wark!

Member 34495

Level 2.00

Sep 2009

Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:25 AM Local time: Sep 23, 2009, 02:25 PM #46 of 116
Quote:
Fuck Dragon Age. I want ME2 NOW.
Dragon age doesn't seem so bad. Besides if you get DA you'll get a nice armor for ME 2.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:12 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2009, 03:12 PM #47 of 116
I agree that ME2 needs to take a page from KOTOR 2. It's just that I'm not sure Bioware has it in them. Their writing just can't ever seem to measure up to that of Black Isle/Obsidian. They always focus on the outcome of a choice rather than examining the choice itself. It makes me feel like I'm essentially just picking an attitude to run with (especially in ME, where it's basically good cop or bad cop, be like the Federation or be like the Romulans) as I tackle another 'stop the big bad guy' story.

I mean, KOTOR 2 assumes you didn't leave Carth behind to die on the last planet or kill Bastilla or Jolee Bindu if memory serves.
Depends on your choices/alignment. If you follow the dark path, then nothing is said of Carth (he's replaced by another guy as captain of the Sojourn), which means he's either missing or dead. If you follow the light path, then he's alive. Bastila appears to have survived either way, however. If you're dark, then you hear about her through the holocron on Korriban (which is broken if you're following the light path). If you follow the light, then it's possible to see her with Carth in the sendoff scene at Telos (which may require accessing the T3 holorecording that Carth left behind; this is something you can't access if you're following the dark path, of course). Since KOTOR had two possible endings, KOTOR II kind of lets the player determine which path Revan followed (though it tells a story in which both paths had essentially led to the same outcome), which is definitely one of the more clever and subtle things about the game.

I don't think anything is said about the fate of Jolee Bindo. Disciple/Mical mentions the importance of preserving the stories of his adventures for future generations, but that's it.

Edit: Whoops, it turns out that you CAN get a similar message from T3 if you're on the dark path. It just winds up being Bastila (dark Bastila, just like with the Sith Holocron message) instead of Carth (who again is missing or dead when you follow the dark path).

FELIPE NO
~MV
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2009, 06:18 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2009, 12:18 PM #48 of 116
If memory serves, there's a reference to Jolee Bindo surviving KOTOR 1 in the descriptin of the weapon named after him (A pistol I think), although it's been a year or so since I last played it. I agree though that the handling of the previous game was well done in KOTOR 2, essentially giving you the choice as to what happened in the first one during your first conversation with Atton.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:40 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 PM 2 #49 of 116
MASS EFFECT 2 IS COMING OUT NEXT WEEK

MASS EFFECT 2 WILL FEATURE SPACE HAMSTERS

GOTY ALL YEARS

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:38 AM #50 of 116
hehehe, I'm really excited about this game! Mass Effect effect is one of the few game I don't get tired to play over and over, so I'm pretty psyched to know what happen next!

I just hope EA will have received my copy next week.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Mass Effect 2 - Skills would do a romance sub-plot but he has work in the morning