Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] $1.99 360 HD-DVD Player

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 04:03 PM #1 of 21
$1.99 360 HD-DVD Player

This is a heck of a deal, since you get a free copy of King Kong and a media remote on top of Toshiba's 5 free HD-DVDs offer.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/...ddvdplayer.htm

To be honest, things aren't looking too good for HD-DVD right now, but I think it's still something worth investing in if you have an HDTV, since studios have done a fine job with their releases.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 05:03 PM #2 of 21
The HD formats still aren't cheap enough, nor the selection as good as DVD. While it looks good, it's just best to wait a bit more until both pull several moves like this or one croaks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 05:20 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 05:20 PM #3 of 21
HD AND Blu-Ray are pretty much still failing to make any substantial market impact.

With the way current trends are going, neither format is really going to penetrate the DVD market enough to become the front-runner, before direct download HD content will become the norm.

But, the 360 HD player is still a great deal if you feel like it's something worth investing in.

How ya doing, buddy?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:10 PM #4 of 21
direct download HD content will become the norm.
Not happening any time soon, that's for sure. Both could do much worse and still reach DVD levels before that happens.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:11 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 03:11 PM #5 of 21
HD AND Blu-Ray are pretty much still failing to make any substantial market impact.

With the way current trends are going, neither format is really going to penetrate the DVD market enough to become the front-runner, before direct download HD content will become the norm.

But, the 360 HD player is still a great deal if you feel like it's something worth investing in.

Not really. Blu-Ray is boasting a higher adoption rate than DVD had. To expect these formats to be adopted by the world overnight is naive. Right now there simply is not a new DVD release that isn't also put out side by side on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Blu-ray players are also expected to once again drop in price to around $300US this Christmas.

Considering all of that along with the expressed desire of the movie companies supporting Blu-Ray to have the format replace DVD to escape the current asinine DVD licensing costs which Toshiba controls with an iron grip, I don't really see DVD surviving for much longer. At worst case there will be a forced consumer shift attempt by simply not releasing new films on DVD.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 06:19 PM #6 of 21
Blu-Ray is also owned by Sony, who also own a movie studio themselves. There's a little bit of an unequal advantage that they have.

Their adoption rate seems high now, but it's going to table off once the numbers meet the number of people who own HD televisions.

And Blu-Ray DVDs are largely more expensive for companies to produce than regular DVDs, simply because of the delicate materials used in Blu-Ray discs. Don't expect consumer America to support having to pay an extra 10 dollars a movie just because movie companies don't want to pay licensing fees. That's the most bogus thing I've ever heard (although it wouldn't be completely surprising if Sony has all their eggs in that basket -- they don't really tend to be consumer-focused through many of their business decisions in the past two years or so).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:39 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 05:39 PM #7 of 21
Dude, Blu-ray movies are costing about the same right now as DVDs did when they first hit the market. Like everything else, over time, their cost will decrease.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:50 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 06:50 PM #8 of 21
direct download HD content will become the norm.
It already is for me

Seriously though, I don't think either format is much of a deal at this point (and I don't really see the reason for a separate thread about a $20 pricedrop for the 360 HD-DVD player). They're both quite overpriced at this point, and their functionality is quite limited since the Playstation 3 is the only platform where they can actually use the disc format for non-movie related purposes, as opposed to DVDs which found their place on PCs and other devices (which I don't see happening with HD-DVD or Blu-ray).

It is quite nice to see competition driving the prices/features down. Blu-ray offers 5 free movies, HD-DVD offers 5 free movies, etc. About the only GOOD thing about having competing formats like this is that one doesn't have a complete monopoly on the market...yet.

Quote:
Blu-Ray is also owned by Sony, who also own a movie studio themselves. There's a little bit of an unequal advantage that they have.
Sony is part of the Blu-ray consortium, but they don't "own" the format. Like with DVD, it's made up and run by a large conglomerate of different companies. Sony obviously has a large stake in the Blu-ray format, but they don't have complete control over it. Even Microsoft is one of the corporations that holds sway over the format, they could make a Blu-ray drive addon for the Xbox 360 if they want (although right now they're backing HD-DVD more).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:58 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 05:58 PM #9 of 21

Their adoption rate seems high now, but it's going to table off once the numbers meet the number of people who own HD televisions.

And Blu-Ray DVDs are largely more expensive for companies to produce than regular DVDs, simply because of the delicate materials used in Blu-Ray discs. Don't expect consumer America to support having to pay an extra 10 dollars a movie just because movie companies don't want to pay licensing fees. That's the most bogus thing I've ever heard (although it wouldn't be completely surprising if Sony has all their eggs in that basket -- they don't really tend to be consumer-focused through many of their business decisions in the past two years or so).

No Blu-Ray is not owned by Sony. They are only one of seven major contributers to the format. Besides Sony, Disney, Fox and Warner Brothers are also the major contributers and supporters of the format. Blu-Ray as a format was first conceived and developed with the primary goal of escaping the licensing fee system of DVD. Why do you think Toshiba is the major company against the format? Because they will lose a tremendous amount if Blu-Ray wins out and the current DVD licensing system is removed. FYI, the HD-DVD licensing system is even worse than DVD, hence you most likely will never see these major movie studios support the format even if it ever gains the lead at some point.

Of course they are pushing the format for the quality reasons, but the real reason for the Blu-Ray push is to develop a better licensing environment for the movie industry.

Last edited by Cetra; Jul 26, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:11 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 11:11 PM #10 of 21
Even Microsoft is one of the corporations that holds sway over the format, they could make a Blu-ray drive addon for the Xbox 360 if they want (although right now they're backing HD-DVD more).
Funny you mention that, as it reminded me of an interview with a MS executive that I recently read where he was questioned on what they would do if Blu-Ray ended up winning, and he responded something like "we are fully prepared to make a Blu-Ray add on for the 360 if necessary." I'll try and find the quote...

Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:16 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 02:16 PM #11 of 21
So it looks like this thing is going to go down in price fast. ($50 at the moment). Is there a good reason I should pick this up at this point? Will it work on a PC, and for other uses?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:19 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 04:19 PM #12 of 21
Seeing how dead HD-DVD is gonna be shortly, there is no reason whatsoever to invest in this thing.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:34 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 11:34 PM #13 of 21
So it looks like this thing is going to go down in price fast. ($50 at the moment). Is there a good reason I should pick this up at this point? Will it work on a PC, and for other uses?
Take a look in your local stores. See how many linear metres of racking they devote to Blu-Ray. Take careful note how it's about four times as much as they devote to HD-DVD. There's no reason to get this dying format. There may be a few exclusives now, but Laser Disc had exclusives too. For the most part they all got released on DVD later.

Most amazing jew boots
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:03 PM #14 of 21
$50 is nothing. Especially since it comes with a remote, King Kong, and 5 free HD-DVDs by mail. I may be going to pick one up later since you can also use it as a PC HD-DVD drive, and it's loading times are the fastest out of all players (~9 sec).

A lot of HD-DVD titles won't be mastered for Blu-ray in a couple of months anyway, so this is a good deal to tide people over. Personally, I want people to buy it just so they can get a laugh at how many titles on HD-DVD have better quality and features than the Blu-ray versions.

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:00 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 01:00 AM #15 of 21
Personally, I want people to buy it just so they can get a laugh at how many titles on HD-DVD have better quality and features than the Blu-ray versions.
Assuming for the sake of discussion that this is true, would you put that down to poor quality transfers which could have been improved by greater expertise or to the superiority of HD-DVD?

I'm curious to know what you think. Will we reflect on HD-DVD as the Betamax of its time, or was it a technical failure as well as a commercial failure?

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:24 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 06:24 PM #16 of 21
You could pick it up as a higher-quality DVD player, I suppose. DVD players are dirt-cheap, yeah, but usually a very nice one should run more than $50 still. It upscales too, right?

Obviously it's a waste of money to put $180 down on a dead format's player. But for $50 with a couple of free movies that won't see Blu-ray versions for a while? Justifiable.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:08 PM 1 #17 of 21
The 360 HD-DVD player is a terrible upscaler.

And Soluzar, the fact is that both formats are good. One party just happened to have more money to throw around than the other. HD-DVD does in fact have more quality releases, but this is mostly due to studio exclusivity/bias/competence rather than technical capability (ignoring HDi functions for the moment).

In an utopia, HD-DVD would have won. Better releases, finalized specifications, and attractively priced players. But Sony paid off the right people. More importantly, however, is the novelty of the Blu-ray technology, which practically sells itself thanks to the ignorance of the consumer. In most people's eyes, Blu-ray is not DVD technology. It is something leaps beyond of it. Naturally, it had created the curiosity which ultimately drove and secured Blu-ray's place in the market.

I actually read an interesting article today that claimed that Fox was ready to jump ship from BD to HD-DVD, since the BD association was not helping the company out with production costs. Warner, at the time, was biased towards HD-DVD, and decided to wait until a big studio defected from the BD camp, so they too could do the same. Unfortunately, Sony paid big bucks to Fox so they would stay put, and Warner was paid off too, dooming the HD-DVD format.

Many claim it to be false, but it makes sense when you consider the fact that most Warner titles were biased in HD-DVD's favor, and Fox always seemed to have trouble releasing titles on time.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:34 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 07:34 AM 1 #18 of 21
In an utopia, HD-DVD would have won. Better releases, finalized specifications...
... less DRM, no regioncoding, mandatory format support for superior audio (whileas bluray is only optional), etc.

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:41 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 12:41 AM #19 of 21
$50 is a decent price for a REGULAR DVD player of any decent sort of quality. I plan on getting one, and the movies, and then I have to decide if I want to save them for 10-20 years and see if I can sell them on eBay for hundreds of dollars, or just enjoy inexpensive HD movies until I get my PS3. Either way it's a win-win.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:02 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 05:02 PM #20 of 21
Seeing how dead HD-DVD is gonna be shortly, there is no reason whatsoever to invest in this thing.
In three hundred thousand years time, people will be selling them on eBay for a profit. "Betamax, Laserdisc, UMD, HD-DVD collection! Come >>> L@@K! <<<<, starting bid twenty cents!"

*Reserve not yet met*

Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:36 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 05:36 PM #21 of 21
If nothing else, I enjoy having a separate drive dedicated to movies, be it SD or HD, so as to lessen the wear on my 360's hardware. The $50 deal is a no-brainer. I'm getting another just for the free movies since I missed out having bought mine for $200 with no external incentives.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] $1.99 360 HD-DVD Player