Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] (StarCraft 2) Apparently Blizzard Still Makes Games!

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 12:28 PM #101 of 188
Well LOTR all you had to do is rush the opponents with hordes of men hence why that game worket. C&C3 kind of works, the experiance is slowed down due to the inpercise controls. Sure it works, but not too well for thoes who use all the advanced techniques and quick keys.

Seeing how StarCraft is bigger then both thoes games, I could just see the outcry from fans everywhere if SC2 came to a console that didn't have at least K&M support. If it came to consoles at all that is. Lastly unlike EA, Blizzard isn't fluent in console archetecture, so the likeliness of it hitting consoles at all is even slimmer.

Most amazing jew boots
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 01:15 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 01:15 PM #102 of 188
I don't think I've ever been happier being proved wrong! Hopefully the quality of the game will hold up to the original.

Maybe my dreams of a "true" Diablo III will finally come true...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 01:19 PM #103 of 188
Well Diablo 2 launched two years after StarCraft 1 so hopefully we'll see a Diablo 3, 2-3 years after StarCraft 2. Or at least we can always dream of hoping.

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 01:19 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 11:19 AM #104 of 188
Also they don't fuck with shit that ain't broke.
You don't know how relieved I was after I saw the gameplay footage and screenshots. In the back of my mind, I was afraid they were going to pull a C&C: Generals on us. Thankfully that does not seem to be the case.

How ya doing, buddy?
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 02:18 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 02:18 PM #105 of 188
I wouldn't expect any major graphic overhauls from what we see now. Mostly what they're going to work out during the alpha and beta stages are game balance more than anything, since that's the most important aspect of a strategy title.

They've been working on SC2 since WC3:TFT was released, so they've already had about 3 years to come up with the graphics we see now. And if you've learned anything about Blizzard over the years, it should be that their art department isn't keen on redesigning their graphics.

To be honest, they're pretty cool. I like them.

How ya doing, buddy?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 02:20 PM #106 of 188
I hope they don't shut downStarcraft after starcraft2 comes out

Originally Posted by ign
As popular as StarCraft was on these shores, it doesn't come close to the enthusiasm the game still enjoys in Asia, where televised, professional matches are held regularly. Blizzard has an event coming up in Korea where they are expected to make a large announcement, so it could very well be that the company has chosen the area where StarCraft is the most popular to announce its sequel.
Once that happens say bye bye to pros.

Lol I hope it doesn't kill all of those animation-timing techniques that were on the first one =.=

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 02:32 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 11:32 AM #107 of 188
I hope they don't shut downStarcraft after starcraft2 comes out
Originally Posted by Starcraft 2 FAQ section
Will we still be able to play the original StarCraft on Battle.net after StarCraft II is released?

Yes, you will.
So if Starcraft 2 turns out to be the kinda game Warcraft 3 was for the warcraft RTS franchise, at least you have a fallback.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Auditor
Syklis Green

Member 22456

Level 7.02

May 2007

Old May 19, 2007, 03:14 PM #108 of 188
Hot damn..the only game that will make me upgrade my PC.
And I hope it can surpass the original (in terms of gameplay), since none of the original members/developers are left.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Auditor; May 19, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 03:22 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 12:22 PM #109 of 188
And I hope it can surpass the original, since none of the original members/developers are left.
I wouldn't say 'none' of its original developers are left. If I remember correctly the majority of people who left blizzard were the folks behind Diablo. Who are now working under Flagship Studios and working on Diablo3 Hellgate London.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 04:34 PM #110 of 188
Everything I hoped for and more. I can see their strategy now: simple, effective, devastating.

2008 - Startcraft 2 RTS

2010 - Starcraft 2 RTS expansion where things end badly for the heroes.

2012 - Universe of Starcraft MMORPG

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 05:26 PM #111 of 188
I think I'll get this. Looks like it will be a fantastic game.

FELIPE NO

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 08:17 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 06:17 PM #112 of 188
Truth-ing this. For the first time in almost 6 years, I want a gaming rig again. =p

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 08:46 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 07:46 PM #113 of 188
I wouldn't expect any major graphic overhauls from what we see now. Mostly what they're going to work out during the alpha and beta stages are game balance more than anything, since that's the most important aspect of a strategy title.
These aren't mutually exclusive. The programming team is separate from the art team, so while they're designing the rest of the game and tweaking unit balance, the art team can go right on messing with the graphics independently of everyone else.

Unless of course the art team is occupied with the task of finishing the art for all the units we didn't see in the initial teasers, which is entirely possible. Still, when the game is inevitibly delayed, that'll give the artists more time to tweak things.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 09:33 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 07:33 PM #114 of 188
These aren't mutually exclusive. The programming team is separate from the art team, so while they're designing the rest of the game and tweaking unit balance, the art team can go right on messing with the graphics independently of everyone else.
I can't say with any reliable area of certainty, but in MOST 3D Applications, the skin & the general build of a character can be swapped out for something else, as long as its structurally near the same.

So for example, if I have a fighter pilot, a human, bipid, 2 legs, 2 arms, head, etc., I can swap the 3D Model of the pilot and replace with it the model & skin of say, a jedi from Star Wars. Since they have the same basic skeleton underneath, all that would likely be required is to adjust the areas of influence in the lightsaber and the Robes. This is what I got at least from 3Ds Max and the way Blizzard maps their characters is probably not as exact or as close to that as it might seem. Still, given that the protoss and terran units are generally bipeds and walk up right, it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the models for something different in the future, say a graphical change from somewhat-cartoony to a more gritty & dirty appearance.

The Zerg however are a different story and since I have no experience in non-human modelling I can't really comment on how they would change up the units for those.

pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:04 PM #115 of 188
There's literally nothing dissapointing about it so far.

How ya doing, buddy?
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:06 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 07:06 PM #116 of 188
Still, given that the protoss and terran units are generally bipeds and walk up right, it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the models for something different in the future, say a graphical change from somewhat-cartoony to a more gritty & dirty appearance.
Given that the last 3 games Blizzard has made (Warcraft 3 and its expansion and World of Warcraft) have all had this cartoon like appearance I'd have to say that the chances of Blizzard going back and all of a sudden changing the style to a more realistic appearance is small.

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:14 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 10:14 PM #117 of 188
Well, the good news about the somewhat cartoony graphics is that they largely just seem to be because of the color palletes and shades rather than entirely because of the models themselves (although some of the terran designs seem pretty oddly shaped). With a few small tweaks to contrast and saturation/color, the game looks a bit more similar to the style in the original Starcraft, for example:

Quote:
Original

Quote:
Modified

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:19 PM #118 of 188
WoW, that picture modification is PRO and definatly proves your point. Either way though it's StarCraft 2 and for all it matters it could all in in wire-frame and I'd still be excited just because the first one was that damn good. Luckly for me however this artistic look to it plays in my favor, so I don't really have any complaints.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:46 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 08:46 PM #119 of 188
All he did was mess around in the Hue/Saturation dialogue...

Anyway, the graphics really don't bother me. What I really care about is the gameplay balance, especially with the Protoss getting so many new and powerful units. Why them, anyway? I never did like the Protoss...

FELIPE NO

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 10:57 PM #120 of 188
Ummm... if you've been watching the videos on gametrailers.com the Terrans have recieved a lot of new stuff too.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 11:02 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 09:02 PM #121 of 188
Given that the last 3 games Blizzard has made (Warcraft 3 and its expansion and World of Warcraft) have all had this cartoon like appearance I'd have to say that the chances of Blizzard going back and all of a sudden changing the style to a more realistic appearance is small.
Well, I was talking more on a "IF THIS HAPPENED" rather then what they Should/Would do.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 11:03 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 09:03 PM #122 of 188
Ummm... if you've been watching the videos on gametrailers.com the Terrans have recieved a lot of new stuff too.
Really? I've seen all of the trailers and watched all of the gameplay movies and the only thing I've seen for the Terrans are the jet pack guys.

There must be another that I haven't watched yet.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; May 19, 2007 at 11:10 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 11:12 PM #123 of 188
I'm affraid that I'm going to have to apologize for my abruptness. My friend told me that there were a lot of new stuff for the terrans on the gametrailers videos, I've just watched them myself and it's more Protoss stuff, lol ^^;

So I'm going to have to take back what I said earlier. However there's lots of time yet and they'll probably just focus on one race at a time in the unveiling of all their shinney new features.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 11:18 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 11:18 PM #124 of 188
I fucking KNEW it'd be a Starcraft sequel. A Starcraft MMO would've been fucking crazy, as WoW is still fresh and strong.

Can't wait to see how this'll look :3

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 11:22 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 08:22 PM #125 of 188
Well, I was talking more on a "IF THIS HAPPENED" rather then what they Should/Would do.
My comment wasn't pointed at you, I was just saying that in my point of view a dramatic shift from its current graphics to a more gritty and real looking set would be improbable given Blizzard's recent works.

Originally Posted by BigHairyFeet
Ygg, there's higher rez shots you can use for your sig on the SC2.com website (unless that IS the higher rez)?
I culled that screenshot off the video link from sc2.com, it isn't from the wallpapers section nor the artwork section. However after taking the screenshot I did have to compress it. But if you do have a better looking version of that shot in the video I'd be glad to have it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Yggdrasil; May 19, 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Grammar

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] (StarCraft 2) Apparently Blizzard Still Makes Games!