Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Hardest game(s) you've ever played

*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:50 PM #51 of 134
The only game I ever got frustrated at was the first Tony Hawks pro skater for PS1. A friend and I were trying to go through it in one night when he first go it, and I just remember us almost busting his controllers on the wall because we fell at the very end of a long ass combo.

Good times....

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DeepCreature

Member 33997

Level 4.22

Jul 2009

Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:46 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2009, 12:46 PM #52 of 134
It`s easy to find a hard game but quite a challenge to find a hard and INTERESTING because of it game. It`s not hardcore or interesting to play with disabled saving or limited number of saves, no medi-packs, increased number of enemies, etc.

But I had some real interest from Elite Doom3 (constantly decreasing health) or Mental Serious Sam (disappearing&appearing enemies) difficulties. Such a hardest game ever is not only hard, it`s novatory and interesting to play!

How ya doing, buddy?
serenade
Wark!

Member 34177

Level 1.21

Aug 2009

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:43 AM #53 of 134
Ghouls and Ghosts for me. Castlevania Rondo of Blood comes close.

Most amazing jew boots
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:46 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 04:46 PM #54 of 134
Since I'm not all that hardcore the hardest game I can remember playing was probably Shinobi for the PS2...fucker got frustrating.

You master the level...then get owned by the boss and have to do the whole thing again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 02:00 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 09:00 PM #55 of 134
Hardest games I've ever played? Heh... NES games away!
Oh yeah. Nothing like the unforgiving 8-bit days of 3 lives of instant-dying and no continues. They would even have Dalai Lama send controllers flying. Everything post 8-bit is for pussies ;]

Not particularly hard, but just plain idiotic and impossible for me to figure out, in order to progress. Zelda on NES: The Lost Woods and The Lost Hills. Was it hinted anywhere how one was supposed to get through that shit?

FELIPE NO
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 02:33 PM 1 #56 of 134
Old woman in the waterfall. "Go up, up, up the mountain ahead." Pretty sure there's a hag living in the rocks below the Lost Woods that tells you the directions for that one, too.

Now, the second quest, that was some hardcore bullshit. Invisible one-way doors? Those were infuriating even when you're trying to take it slow and draw a map. NES Game Atlas, please.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:12 PM #57 of 134
Most difficult-to-the-point-of-broken game I've encountered would be Lunar 2: Complete. Right around the time I reached the Blue Dragon - who has high defense, nasty group-striking moves, and the ability to arbitrarily heal himself by several hundred (or is it thousand?) points every single turn - I decided life was too short to waste trying to prove myself to Victor Ireland and his HARDCORE tendencies.
If you thought Lunar 2: Complete was hard, you would have broken multiple controllers if you ever played the Sega CD version. I remember Vic stating that it was TONED DOWN for the US version as the Japanese version of Lunar: Eternal Blue (Mega CD not, Saturn/PS1) was over three times the difficulty. (Borgan = you're his bitch in the SCD version. Gravity Bomb cheap shot FTL))

Hardest I would have to say...

Ecco the Dolphin. Seriously, is there a fucking way out of that first level? (Not really, but I just get too frustrated and stop playing after 5 minutes trying to figure how to advance)

Silhouette Mirage (PS1). The game has to start out on the hardest difficulty, you'd have 9 lives and have to beat all 5 paths (with just those 9 lives) before you can unlock the "secret options" which includes a difficulty adjuster. Me thinking you had 9 lives each play through. LOL!! Don't get me wrong, the game was fun but I could murder WD for upping the difficulty that bad.

Another WD trend would be Vanguard Bandits. Maybe it is because I'm ass at RTS games, but that game was just waaaay too difficult for my tastes. I think I made it like on the 3rd chapter or whatever and haven't picked it up since then and that's been about 10 years.

I'm pretty sure there are others that are just sadistically hard that I've played, I just recall off-hand.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:20 PM #58 of 134
If you thought Lunar 2: Complete was hard, you would have broken multiple controllers if you ever played the Sega CD version. I remember Vic stating that it was TONED DOWN for the US version as the Japanese version of Lunar: Eternal Blue (Mega CD not, Saturn/PS1) was over three times the difficulty. (Borgan = you're his bitch in the SCD version. Gravity Bomb cheap shot FTL))

Hardest I would have to say...

Ecco the Dolphin. Seriously, is there a fucking way out of that first level? (Not really, but I just get too frustrated and stop playing after 5 minutes trying to figure how to advance)
LOL, GREAT. I have some ass whipping to see in Lunar EB then.

And second, you CAN talk to other dolphins. One in particular leads you to the exit, after several tests by these said dolphins you should talk to.

On topic though... there's several games in mind that I find mind-bogglingly hard to stupidly hard.

Some of the puzzles in Professor Layton is just madding, especially that fucking camera and package puzzle. (The one that you supposedly to spend on but you only want the camera, and you had to figure out how much you should pay.)

I don't really play platformers but I did find old NES titles to be controller-beaten worthy of hard as nails platforming. I had played doubles with my brother on these games often. Double Dragon series, TMNT:Manhattan, Bad Dudes, River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden, Mickey Mouse Escapades (fuck this game is so FUNNN), Chip n Dale and finally and not the last, Battlefuckingcementblockstoads. They just hold the shrine on hard as nails gaming. I'd blister my thumbs for these games.

Tactics, I haven't really met my match other than fucking Fire Emblem for GBA. That game wants me to cry every time I lose an unit. ;_______________;

Rpgs, lol, I cannot really say which one of these are hard other than simple grinding. Thinking about Ghaleon in Lunar:SSS having double attack chances pisses me off to no end. But that's just the final boss for you. There's a LOT of rpgs that has final bosses that has the shot at killing you. BoFIV's Fou-Lou can kill you if you don't pay attention in his second final form. Arc the Lad II's boss works the same way, they test your endurance basically, and see how long you can hold when your magic/items ran out. But these aren't hard. And then there's stupid final bosses that came out of nowhere. Like in Okage, there's that bull dude that you fight, you knew he was coming as a boss, but he was far more powerful than the final boss. He counts as a mid-way boss if anything. There's several mid-way bosses that are ridiculous in healing/max hp/strength/mp you know, the whole WORKS that would had been for the final boss! Other examples are Giacomo (sp) for Baten Kaitos, to name a few others I cannot name right now (will edit later).

But I say this though, Dragon Warrior II for nes still remains to me that unattainable "winnable" game despite of grinding for hours, I could NOT survive the trek through that fucking dungeon/castle and through the several forms of that last boss no matter how prepared I was. :sad:

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:25 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 01:25 PM #59 of 134
Eternal Blue isn't THAT hard.

As for me? Demon's Souls, so far.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:33 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 08:33 PM #60 of 134
Bionic Commando, Probotector (Contra to you yanks) and Battletoads are tough as far as classics go.

As for more modern games, holy shit, Ikaruga is PUNISHING.

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 04:00 PM 2 #61 of 134
The hardest classic game I can remember is Iron Sword: Wizards and Warriors 2. The main reason being that the game is about as easy and painless to control as holding a king jellyfish covered in astroglide. The game had some of the most unforgiving controls and play mechanics that I can remember from way back when, and it was an exercise in futility to try and get anything done.

I was speaking idiomatically.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:03 PM #62 of 134
Some hard games:
- CastleVania I through III
- Wizards and Warriors II
- Battletoads
- Castlequest. This game, even if you had a game genie, is near madness. I talked to a friend about it recently who remembered how he'd play it all day Saturday, pause, turn his TV off, and then the next morning start up again and could never beat it.
- TMNT 1 (that stupid jump on the third level where if you miss you'd fall into water was just agrivating)

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:08 PM #63 of 134
None of you people have shit on this

Ironsword was a tough game, yeah and Contra 3 was a stone bitch on its hardest level. But even Gauntlet had levels with exits! But oh no, not Robowarrior. The problem with Robowarrior was that unless you found the Chalice - the level looped endlessly. How do you find it? You have to blow up those bushes (to find items). And how do you do that? With bombs. So basically the only way to progress through the level is blowing up bushes with a bomb of which you only have X amount of, so use them sparingly.

My grandparents got me this when they couldn't find Robocop for the NES. I hadn't heard about it - hell, I'm 28 and I don't think I've ever talked to someone whos heard of it or played it in that span of time - and gave it a spin. It was horrifying, like some kind of fever dream. New game... but you couldn't go to level two? Finite ammo? What the hell was this?

YouTube Video

Just watching the video clip makes me wince. Christ.

How ya doing, buddy?
The GreyFox
Good Chocobo

Member 196

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:13 PM 4 #64 of 134
NES:
- Kickmaster: Just fuck'n ridiculous. And once you beat the game it says something like that the player has the option to play again on an even harder difficulty.
- Super Mario Brothers 2: I could never beat this when I was a kid. It wasn't until I was late in my teens that I finally completed the game many years later. And to think the whole game was some kind of dream of Mario's. Fuck you to Hell.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ~ The Arcade Game: No matter how many times I play this game either by myself or with others we can never fuck'n beat this shit. And by yourself you might as well shut the power off the system cause you ain't gonna beat the fucker.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: It's been mentioned already. Anyone who has played this game knows the story.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhatten Project: Me and my brother actually got to the last boss but by that point we were as good as fuck'n dead anyway. This game is just full of bosses, mini-bosses and so many levels you'll call it quits at some point. I have no idea how anyone could do this in single player.. it's just impossible.

And to those who said Metroid, what the hell are you on about? Once you get the feel of the game it tends to get to be a piece of cake. You're just one of those guys that spent hours on end trying to bomb your way up that high wall or to get that energy bar at the beginning of the game..

Sega Genesis:
- Robocop vs. Terminator - They should have just called this one "Robocop's Ass Whupping". See Robocop get his ass whupped time and time again never to finally face off with the actual Terminator.
- X-Men: Good chance you'll never beat this game. Plus the game sucks hard. So you'll either drop this game cause you can't beat it or you'll get sick of it.
- Jurassic Park: Wow this game was just full of ways to die. Good chance you'll hear Alan Grant's "AHH!" quite a number of times while playing though. At least this one is beatable but still... you'll die way too much.
- Out of This World: I think it came out for the Gen... this game is just fuck'n ridiculous. Like the first fifteen minutes you'll want to drop this game six feet under.
- M-1 Abrams Battle Tank: Hard to follow along what's going on cause the graphics are a piece of shit. Good chance you'll get so fuck'n bored roaming the map for hours looking for a baddy. It's one of those games that you can probably beat but you just won't bother cause you're bored to Hell.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:45 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2009, 02:45 AM #65 of 134
Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. I still haven't managed to get past the first boss since I bought it. It's not even fun this way

Shinobi for PS2 is another hard game in the same style. I remember the dogs with armor and knives in their mouths, I think you had to hit them from behind. They are vicious in packs.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:51 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 06:51 PM #66 of 134
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ~ The Arcade Game
- Out of This World
Wait, what?

How can you even...

Quote:
- Super Mario Brothers 2
...Now you're just making shit up.

AND NOT REALIZING WHAT THE FUCK THE TOPIC IS ABOUT.

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:52 PM #67 of 134
Adventures of Bayou Billy was pretty hard once you got past the first level.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:00 PM #68 of 134
Quote:
Super Mario Brothers 2
...Now you're just making shit up.

AND NOT REALIZING WHAT THE FUCK THE TOPIC IS ABOUT.
As far as turnip-based games go, that's probably the hardest.

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:03 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 07:03 PM 2 #69 of 134
I dunno, Burnout Paradise's challenges sometimes seem harder when there's turnip related gameplay within.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:03 PM #70 of 134
As far as turnip-based games go, that's probably the hardest.
Look. It doesn't have the 8-1 jump from the first installment and it doesn't have the goddamned World 8 minifortress from the third one, so the statement is so flawed that to agree with it is to be a new level of goddamned wrong.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:05 PM #71 of 134
CHECK THIS SHIT OUT

xbox live crew whatup

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:24 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 07:24 PM 1 #72 of 134
Pretty sure we came to the conclusion that that shit ain't hard, Tails.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:26 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 06:26 PM 1 #73 of 134
LOOK AT THIS SHIT, GUYS

*homing missile*

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:31 PM #74 of 134
Pretty sure we came to the conclusion that that shit ain't hard, Tails.
looooool

In all seriousness, I'm waiting for you faggots to finish the regular campaign and do the expert challenges that unlock afterward.

I DID IT, MAN UP

#654: Braixen
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:17 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 07:17 PM 1 1 #75 of 134
The first Battletoads for the NES was the toughest game I've ever played. First level was fun and was really only a quick run-through of the controls, but once you beat that level that honeymoon was over, boy. The levels seemed to last forever and the hoverbike levels are the single toughest gauntlet any gamer worth his or her salt can ever pinch through. Needless to say, I am one of the many who never beat it.

Ninja Gaiden was also a tough motherfucker to crack but at least that game was a bit more forgiving on the jumps.

Mischief Makers was a game that I actually thought was pretty difficult. See, how much of the ending you actually saw when you played through the game depended on how many gold gems you picked up in the game. I mean, sure you could plow through the entire game in a couple of sittings if you wanted to, but you'd just get a "here's a line of backstory, now go back and earn the full tale, you fuck" ending. Getting all the gems in the game was STUPID hard because some of the boss stages had them too and to earn them you had to beat the bosses without taking a single hit. I still haven't seen the complete ending for this game.

And, of course, Ikaruga. This game is harder than a Jessykins' nipples while walking blindfolded through a fish market. I've never seen the ending for this game either but I'm told that if I sink enough hours into the game I can opt for infinite continues, so this one may have hope yet.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Hardest game(s) you've ever played