Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Sonic The Hedgehog

El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:22 AM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 03:22 PM #1 of 16
Sonic The Hedgehog

The release in Europe is slated to be the 24th of Novemeber; quite likely pushed back so as not to clash with the Gears of War release.

At the moment there is a Pre E3 demo on Xbox Live weighing in around 340mb. I managed to give it a whirl yesterday and I quite liked the game it was fun but the camera is simply one of the worst I have encountered, accompanied by some major control issues (especially the homing attack) which I can only hope are resolved towards the release. The graphics are nice but like what I'd expect from a Sonic game on a next gen system; as for the music the demo doesn't offer much but the tracks I've heard are quite enjoyable.

All in all I think I may pick this up come the 24th, I haven't played a Sonic game since my Megadrive days, oh the nostalgia.

Trailer Link

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Nov 9, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 02:13 PM #2 of 16
I want to love this game, but the controls are terrible. You barely tap the joystick and hes taking a sharp right over a cliff. I probably wont buy this game unless this is fixed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:03 PM #3 of 16
The demo was way too short to really give you a feel for the game, but as Akira pointed out, the controls in that game somehow were even WORSE than in Sonic Heroes. Sega, why won't you just FUCKING STOP?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:13 PM #4 of 16
Got it today and I must say I'm very impressed thus far. I can't give a final verdict yet until I'm finished but so far so good. The controls take a little getting used to, but I really don't have any complaints.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:37 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 02:37 PM #5 of 16
I can see that being a really objective review...

How ya doing, buddy?
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:28 AM #6 of 16
Im pretty sure that if touching any button on the controller resulted in instant death, SuperSonic would give it no less then a 9.5/10.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:38 PM #7 of 16
What the hell do you people find wrong with this game? Seriously, this is way better than Riders and Shadow. The controls are a bit more sensitive this time around but again, it takes some getting used to. You want a rating from me? You'll have to wait until I finish the game.

FELIPE NO
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 02:54 PM #8 of 16
Originally Posted by SuperSonic
What the hell do you people find wrong with this game? Seriously, this is way better than Riders and Shadow. The controls are a bit more sensitive this time around but again, it takes some getting used to. You want a rating from me? You'll have to wait until I finish the game.
I think the point you may be missing here is that one shouldn't "have to get used to controls" for a game to begin with. If your controls were tight from the get go then one would never have problems adapting to them or the game to begin with. Its rather sloppy, a piss-poor excuse for bad gaming design, and shows signs of rushing ones product to get it out. One should be able to get into the game, play whatever tutorial may be available so you can know what does what, and have fun with it without having to always worry about your character randomly careening into a pit when you frustratingly did every effort you could on your controller to avoid it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 06:31 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 08:31 PM #9 of 16
Sorry, but I'd have to agree with the above poster. Being a pretty big fan of platformers (beat all the Jaks, Slys, and Ratchets), the demo of this game just didn't do it for me. Controls and the game play itself just seem so low-class compared to the games I mentioned. Maybe the retail is better, but I'm certainly in no hurry to try it.

How ya doing, buddy?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:00 PM #10 of 16
I just realized...all of you are only talking about the demo, not the actual game itself. The demo only showed 1/4 of a level. :P

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Dubble
I think the point you may be missing here is that one shouldn't "have to get used to controls" for a game to begin with. If your controls were tight from the get go then one would never have problems adapting to them or the game to begin with. Its rather sloppy, a piss-poor excuse for bad gaming design, and shows signs of rushing ones product to get it out. One should be able to get into the game, play whatever tutorial may be available so you can know what does what, and have fun with it without having to always worry about your character randomly careening into a pit when you frustratingly did every effort you could on your controller to avoid it.
You've got to realize that for most of the new games you try, the controls take a little "getting used to" even after you go through a tutorial (provided that there is one).

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Nov 16, 2006 at 09:42 PM.
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:42 AM #11 of 16
I just realized...all of you are only talking about the demo, not the actual game itself. The demo only showed 1/4 of a level. :P
This has little to do with how much of the game we played, and more with how the game itself plays.

Quote:
You've got to realize that for most of the new games you try, the controls take a little "getting used to" even after you go through a tutorial (provided that there is one).
I know where your coming from, but your getting bad controls mixed up with complex controls.

If I play a flight simulator, or even a game like Gears of War, I dont go in expecting to know what every button does, or how to use them, but after I learn what each does I should be able to fluently use them during the game without having to worry about overshooting, unresponsive buttons, or over sensitive controls.

A game like Sonic has you constantly compensating for their terrible design. This is what your referring to as "getting used to it."

How ya doing, buddy?
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:48 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 02:48 AM #12 of 16
I was told that this game has the same horrible controls as Sonic ADventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog... And add Burning Rangers to the list too, same company, same game, same problems. But they tried "fixing" this problem by adding a half-level range to the homing attack thingy.

And that the game loads all the time, like if it were running on a PSP.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:03 AM #13 of 16
Originally Posted by evilboris
I was told that this game has the same horrible controls as Sonic ADventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog... And add Burning Rangers to the list too, same company, same game, same problems. But they tried "fixing" this problem by adding a half-level range to the homing attack thingy.

And that the game loads all the time, like if it were running on a PSP.
What you heared isn't too far off. While the game has absolutely gorgeous visuals, actually playing it is like attempting to speed-type on a keyboard wearing cooking mittens. Blind-folded. Hanging upside down.

For instance, there's a street boarding level where you keep on constantly getting stuck on invisble walls. Good luck breaking free from those once you hit one up because turning around was so awkward it almost felt like an old-school Resident Evil. The levels also have very awkward transitions from super fast running to water-skiing/grinding/etc.

And don't get me started on the different characters' crippling special moves. (Hello slowed down Sonic charge, and Camera screwing Tails ring toss)

The game's just full of glitches. It's almost fun to see what anomalies you'll end up with while playing. It's really sad because this really could have been great. There's even a level that pays homage to Sonic Adventure 1 by running on a wooden bridge as a killer whale smashes it behind you. Of course this time, it's a lot more awkward. If the Wii sonic also sucks, I'm probebly never gonna bother with a 3D sonic ever again.

Oh and yes, load times are teh =/

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:43 AM #14 of 16
The controls were familiar for me seeing how Sonic 2, Adventure 1 & 2 were the only Sonic games I could ever stand. They're not perfect, but they're not as bad as sayDynasty Warriors or something. However the glitches in the game I find are more disturbing then the touchy controls.

If you're a Sonic fan, these are no new hurddles that you haven't had to leap over before. If you're not a Sonic fan, then this sure as hell won't change your mind.

EXTRA
Great Sonic adventure 1 refference in Stage 1 part 3 with the whale

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 04:37 PM #15 of 16
Apparently the PS3 version is the more polished version of the game. The story is 1up took their original review for the game down and replaced with a review of the PS3 with a higher score. In the review it said that the load times in the ps3 version were dropped to mere seconds and that a majority of the games most painful glitches were fixed. The game is basically much more playable than the xbox 360 version. But for some reason they took that review down as well. Possibly because it doesn't come out till the end of next month.

So maybe Sega listened to the complaints and reviews and decided to fix up their mess. If this is true then maybe I'll give it a shot. It would also be a slap to the face for people who obught the xbox version, unless they release a patch fix or something. I highly doubt it though. PSU's offline mode never got a patch that fixed the NPCs getting stuck to the floor.

Why does Sonic Team exist anymore? Without quality control on their games most of the stuff they produce is buggy unplayable trash.

FELIPE NO
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 10:18 PM #16 of 16
What the hell do you people find wrong with this game?
-Unimpressive graphics for a 360 game.
-Horrid controls.
-The main game isn't even fast. You can't go fast unless you're in an automatic sequence. Other wise, you HAVE to be on a boost pad to get any sense of speed.
-Most of the game plays itself. Most of the time you're just in flashy automatic sequences going down "epic towers" and crud. Which would have been great if this game was just a tech demo.
-The Mach Speed areas are dreadfully boring. Are they an excuse for Every character being so slow in the main gameplay sections?
-This game would have been better off being a tech demo. I'm glad I only rented it because I would have been pissed off if I would have spent $60 on this mess.
- The core gameplay is mediocre. Which is why a PS3 version with less glitches, less loading time, and some better controls is only dressing up this mess a little more but it's still the same garbage.
- GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE.
- Rouge looks more like a prostitute in this game.
- Loading Times. Like for Town Missions. You walk up to someone to start a mission, then you get a 10 second loading screen. There's one line of text explaining what you need to do (even though it was already explained when you first talked to that person before the loading screen) then after that text is another 10 second loading screen.
If you happen to fail the mission, just reverse the whole process I just explained for more loading.
- Town Missions are boring and tedious. Why is Sonic having an actual race with a human named, "Sonic man"? Does Sonic go so slow in this game that an actual human is on-foot competition for him?

Quote:
Seriously, this is way better than Riders and Shadow.
Comparing a game to pieces of trash can make any game look good. In this case, we're comparing trash to other trash.

If anything, this game felt like Shadow the Hedgehog but with a little more effort put into it. So, I'm going to call this game, "fancy trash".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Sonic The Hedgehog