Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer Randomly Rebooting

L-Sama_no_Miko
Meeples

Member 874

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2009, 03:35 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2009, 03:35 AM #1 of 5
Computer Randomly Rebooting

I mentioned this in my FTP thread, but I've been having strange issues with my computer rebooting on its own randomly.

However, this is usually during some intensive work, such as deleting a large number of files or attempting to run a game. For example. I can't play Portal. It won't let me load the game without rebooting.

Sometimes, it'll reboot when nothing's happening, though- again, it's extremely sporatic.

However, the big thing I've noticed is just before it reboots, it makes this high pitched noise. I can't really describe it other than something a high-pitched whine. It's not very loud, and it's most definitely not mechanical. This is, pretty much, almost identical to the sound of a TV left on with the mute or no signal- that sound it makes, if you can hear it.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to start with this?

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2009, 04:51 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2009, 05:51 PM #2 of 5
Most likely a hardware issue.

I suspect either of the following are the culprits:

1. Overheating (check fans / heatsink; and temperatures)
2. Faulty RAM
3. Faulty Video Card
4. Faulty Motherboard
5. Faulty Hard Disk

I will direct my troubleshooting in that order.

It may be helpful for you to view the blue screen error, if one appears momentarily before the reboot. To show it, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery Settings > uncheck "Automatically restart".

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Jan 3, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2009, 05:24 AM #3 of 5
Don't forget a faulty power supply, Zerg. It's an extremely common symptom of a PSU that's croaking.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2009, 01:42 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2009, 10:42 AM #4 of 5
It probably is a failing PSU as more than likely that high pitched whine you are hearing is a failing transformer/inductor. This can also happen if the PSU isn't able to draw enough power from the home circuit either due to a bad power strip or faulty home wiring. You could also be using an underrated power supply and its simply not able to provide the require wattage for the load demand.

Another possibility is a failing motherboard. This is less likely but a failing inductor on a motherboard will also whine and shut down, though you tend to see other symptoms of this such a blue screens right before the shutdown and this tends to happen completely randomly rather than only under heavy loads.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Cetra; Jan 3, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
L-Sama_no_Miko
Meeples

Member 874

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:09 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2009, 11:09 PM #5 of 5
I don't mean to unearth this topic again, but I wanted to thank you guys for the help. It was the PSU, and I've gotten that taken care of. Just have a few last minute fixes, and it should be up and running again.

Thanks, guys!

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer Randomly Rebooting