Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Typical Digital Camera thread

Void
i turn black thoughts to red

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:11 PM #1 of 11
Typical Digital Camera thread

I read up on the other threads around here, and I've learned a couple of things. But I still need more advice.

I was originally planning on buying a digital camera in August, for... some reason. But I realized that since I'll be graduating this year, I'll need to take a shitload of pictures.

My parents own a nice Olympus C740 camera, which I must say is VERY good... the quality of the pictures, and everything. It has two flaws though, which may not be technical flaws but just things I don't like about it.

1) It's MUCH too big. I want a VERY small camera. Preferably one without the huge ass zooming lens popping out. I want one to be very small, sleek, and [obviously] rectangular. But I still want zoom, just not it to be protruding. Although, if it's impossible to find one that doesn't protrude, it's alright as long as the protruding lens comes all the way back inside the camera when it's off.

2) It takes SO long to take a picture. I have to hold the camera perfectly steady for nearly 2-3 seconds for it to take a good picture that isn't blurry. I want FAST shutter speed [I guess that's how to technically word it] I want to be able to take a picture fast, like a regular camera.

The price range, I would like to be pretty... low. This may not seem realistic, but $200-$250 range would be ideal. I'm a poor kid, and this must come from my own pocket. Help will be appreciated, thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:23 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 01:23 PM #2 of 11
I was passing by the magazine rack at the grocery store yesterday and noticed that this month's Consumer Reports has a massive review of digital cameras. I highly recommend picking a copy of it up. The highest rated camera was the Canon Powershot A620 (which is a newer version of the camera I have and always recommend). I noticed the reviews on Newegg and Amazon are also extremely high for this camera.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120179
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

I didn't read the article, but this looks like an excellent buy. Canon always seems to provide the best bang for your buck, and the camera's well within your price range.

Might be too big for what you want though. Should check out the article.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Void

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:36 PM #3 of 11
Thanks, it's a little big though. I really am set on getting a pocket-sized one.

How's this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394

Newegg sells it for $229: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830150066

But I want it in black. I'll continue searching for good deals, but the max price falls under what I'm willing to pay so all I'm asking is if it's a good camera/worth it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 05:03 PM #4 of 11
I dunno, I'm not too up on the latest cameras but I always shy away from Sony. My rule of thumb is that the best value is Canon followed closely by Nikon, the best high-ends are from Olympus. I wouldn't buy any other brands. Digital cameras is one area where Sony's reputation of being overpriced and easily broken seems to stand fairly true.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 07:26 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 12:26 AM #5 of 11
Check this place out, it has good reviews:
http://www.megapixel.net/html/cover.php

I was speaking idiomatically.
SeanParnika
River Chocobo

Member 762

Level 23.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 07:36 PM #6 of 11
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona620/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 10:52 PM #7 of 11
I actually bought a Sony DSC-T7, which is a super-tiny version of the DSC-T5, a few days ago, and it's a very nice camera. If size is your main concern, the T-series cameras are probably your best choice right now. The only camera that's smaller than the DSC-T5 (besides the T7, of course) is the Exilim EX-S500, which has rather poor image quality. The battery life on my DSC-T7 is pretty bad, but I bought it as a floor model so the battery probably wasn't very fresh, and the T5 has better battery life anyways.

oh, and it has by far the best screen of any digital camera I've used. very clear, very bright, and perfectly readable even in bright sunlight.

If you're willing to go a bit larger, Canon's Digital Elph series of cameras is very good, as are the Sony W-series cameras. The other Exilims are pretty good and have very long battery life, so they're worth a look, too. The Fuji Z1 and Kodak V550 are both worth looking at, too...the V550 is probably the only tiny camera that doesn't suffer from horrible redeye. ^^

FELIPE NO
- won't you give me a smile...? -

Last edited by Relic; Jun 12, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:50 AM #8 of 11
Wow can people please get something better than a canon a620. Its not that amazing ;_;

If you want something compact, some of the new sony or panasonic ones should be fine.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SeanParnika
River Chocobo

Member 762

Level 23.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:24 AM #9 of 11
I like the A620 because it uses regular aa battery and has a viewfinder, the panasonic ones don't have a view finder

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Void

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:58 PM #10 of 11
I don't get it! Yesterday the price rose to $231, now it's $233. What the fuck? I thought as time passed, prices went DOWN not up. Wtf?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 13, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2006, 07:11 PM #11 of 11
Price rises as demand rises or supply dips.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Typical Digital Camera thread