Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced

Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 03:56 PM #76 of 282
When I try to visualize an art style for a remake, I would prefer something more along the lines of the actual Yoshitaka Amano artwork illustrations, which are superlative.
You mean something like this?

~retches~

Sprites still rule in my favour.

(No offence dude. Just hating on the 'artwork'.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:18 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 11:18 AM #77 of 282
! Oh no you didn't! (Did you?)

Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of this.

http://adunaph3l.net/atma/displayima...lbum=6&pos=242

I mean, can you really compare the 'sprite-alized' Kefka's Tower to that?

While I enjoy the sprites in-game, the actual original conceptual sketches are a bit more realized in terms of expression, detail and imagination. Well pretty much the only thing that the originals don't cover that the sprites do, is an aspect of simplicity. Perhaps that is why I like the sprites at first glance but they quickly lose their lustre when held next to their artistic progenitors. Thats a fair point in my eyes. I guess I am more of an 'art-house' guy though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by RainMan; Feb 5, 2007 at 11:26 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:59 AM #78 of 282
Amano's scenery and monster designs are gorgeous, and they would make for an amazing game. His people look like albino zombies though, and aside from a few characters (Umaro, Gogo, and generally those who look less human anyway) I've never liked the in-game portraits much. I love the sprites, and I'm glad they didn't attempt to overhaul the graphical style.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:03 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 12:03 PM #79 of 282
A full remake of FF6 with full 3d graphics could probably turn out quite well if they just use the original art designs from the game itself. The Chrono Resurrection project was a good example: it looked virtually identical to the style of the original game despite being in 3d. If they remade FF6 in the same way, I wouldn't mind playing that version of it.

I didn't really see a point to making FMVs and tacking them on top of the original game like they did in Chronicles, those were too big of a contrast to the original designs. Doesn't exactly flow with the rest of the game since you go from complex 3d models with full animation to SNES sprites. If anything I think they should've just ported the game with better quality graphical assets (higher resolution sprites, etc.) and not bothered with adding or changing the art.

FF7 could use a remake too, but there isn't as much reason for that since most of the graphical presentation is still passable today. All they'd really need to do is port the game with upgraded character models (read: textures and non-deformed) and it would look fine. The backgrounds and cutscenes wouldn't really need any work, except to reflect the newer character models. Although the music could definitely use an overhaul as well.

FELIPE NO
Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:10 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 05:10 PM #80 of 282
! Oh no you didn't! (Did you?)
I did what now?
Quote:
Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of this.

http://adunaph3l.net/atma/displayima...lbum=6&pos=242

I mean, can you really compare the 'sprite-alized' Kefka's Tower to that?
Actually, no I can't. I'll probably have to agree on you with the scenery. The characters are a different question IMO.

You know what? The character artwork even loses out to the FFVII Manga-style sketches. Not in a game though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:32 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 12:32 PM #81 of 282
Quote:
I did what now?
Nothing. Don't mind me, I am just not against causing a friendly row from time to time

Quote:
Amano's scenery and monster designs are gorgeous, and they would make for an amazing game.
Yes! Thank you! (I was wondering if perhaps I was the last partially sane person on the planet.)

Quote:
His people look like albino zombies though, and aside from a few characters (Umaro, Gogo, and generally those who look less human anyway) I've never liked the in-game portraits much. I love the sprites, and I'm glad they didn't attempt to overhaul the graphical style.
Whats good enough for George Romero is good enough for me! In all seriousness though, I believe that Amano's characters are incredibly haunting and striking. Maybe a bit too much style for a game like Final Fantasy VI where the real bread and butter of the experience lies in the story. Perhaps more visually simplistic characters serve as a better vehicle to allowing the storyline to take center stage. If this were the case, the 'faded far off look' in much of the characters faces may have proven to be much too distracting. Still, I find that I like the premise of it.

There is a sense of detachment and longing (and not just for brains) within the visages of Amano's portraits...that perhaps loosely conveys a sense of exotic eroticism. This may be a bit of a stretch, but I imagine that there may be an element of buddhism and Easternism to be found in much of Amano's work. In the case of FFVI, perhaps this reveals or at least serves as a reference to emotional maturity established within the characters. The tradeoff is a lack of notable physical vibrance. I am not sure that it bothers me all that much in the end.

Quote:
A full remake of FF6 with full 3d graphics could probably turn out quite well if they just use the original art designs from the game itself. The Chrono Resurrection project was a good example: it looked virtually identical to the style of the original game despite being in 3d. If they remade FF6 in the same way, I wouldn't mind playing that version of it.
I absolutely agree. What I am suggesting is that improvement or visual enhancement doesn't have to necessitate exclusion in every case. There were many elements of FFVI's art layout which were phenomenal...(some less apparently so) It would be amazing if most aspects of the environments and characters could be upgraded to more fully utilize the original vision of Amano.

Quote:
I didn't really see a point to making FMVs and tacking them on top of the original game like they did in Chronicles, those were too big of a contrast to the original designs. Doesn't exactly flow with the rest of the game since you go from complex 3d models with full animation to SNES sprites. If anything I think they should've just ported the game with better quality graphical assets (higher resolution sprites, etc.) and not bothered with adding or changing the art.
They also might've added more little flourishes with the visual effects. Programming is becoming such that details in things (such as explosion physiology in sprite engines) can be more expressively conveyed.

I am only saying all of this because I am a FFVI fanatic. I need help!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by RainMan; Feb 5, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:03 PM #82 of 282
Now we're talkin...

That's what I want in a Final Fantasy VI resurrection right there. That WOULD BE PERFECT.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Feb 5, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:08 PM #83 of 282
Meh, I'm not a fan of Amano's character designs either, so no, a full remake realizing his designs would be so...blah. It could be just me though. Lots of people love his work. Besides, Locke's the cutest as a sprite :3 I'd hate to see any 3D version of him.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 5, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:18 PM #84 of 282
I don't want to knock Amano; quite the opposite, he makes an excellent cover/promotional artist, but I've never considered his interpretations of any FF character to be their "official" look. Terra, to me, has green hair, not blonde. Kefka does not wear pink ruffles, Strago is not a creepy old man in bondage, and Locke....well I've been trying to find this one closeup on his face that was shown in the original SNES Strategy Guide, but I haven't been successful in that venture.

To be honest though, I've always viewed the characters are sort of half-SD; I just have trouble picturing them otherwise.

Here are the rest of the official drawings for FFVIA, each done by different manga artists.

Also, for those of you wondering, Kefka's "Son of a submariner" line has been changed to...

Spoiler:
"Son of a Sandworm!"

I like. It makes much more sense in many ways.

Also, here's a look back at other famous Kefka-isms , preserved before their rewriting for the GBA version. They're missing some of my favorites, though.

Spoiler:
"Wait? Wait is for waiters!"

"Say, you should take a look at my Magicite collection someday! You might see a few familiar faces!!"

"Nothing beats the sound of hundreds of people screaming in unison!"

Game's out in less than an hour, though I won't be picking it up until around 5:30pm, on my way to college. Don't forget the coupon I linked.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:43 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 11:43 AM #85 of 282
I can't see how you consider Amano's art to not be truely official considering his artwork was used for almost everything, including the in-game art, and the Grande Finale CD covers. After Final Fantasy VII, that's when he became the bench warmer, but only due to the PSX and it's graphical limitations.

I can't say that I'm totally in love with his character designs, but the amount of detail, artistic flair and originality is what he's known for. His environments and emotions he puts into them really shine through. I would all be for a 3D remake (though not with the amount of enthusiasm as RainMan *fanboy alert*) that would be true to Amano's work. Or at least semi-true... maybe make his characters a little more appealing.

Akira Toriyama needs to be shit canned. I've never liked his characters, even dating back to the early days of Dragon Warrior. They all just have giant hair, eyes and muscles. -_-

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:53 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 07:53 PM #86 of 282
Akira Toriyama needs to be shit canned. I've never liked his characters, even dating back to the early days of Dragon Warrior. They all just have giant hair, eyes and muscles. -_-
When I tried to play FFVIII, it was that bizarre hat that bugged me. I found that all through what I've played of the game all I could think was how annoying that one guy with the spiky hat looked. I've basically moved onto another RPG now because that hat was just irritating me. Yes... that is a strange reason to ditch an RPG. I admit it.

I'll be picking FFVI Advance up if it comes out in Europe, for sure. If not, I might import, or I might just not bother. I did already beat the game. I'll have to ponder long and hard whether it's worth importing when I see what the new stuff is like.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:56 PM #87 of 282
The way I've always read it (and do correct me if I'm wrong), is that for the past FFs, SE would have the character's concept in mind, so they ask Amano to expand on it ("Okay, I want a little girl who can talk to animals. Green hair would be nice"). Amano creates the character in his style, Square approves it for official artwork. But then they take that character and "downgrade" him/her based on the graphical limitations, and also due to personal preference (I don't know who approved it, but someone wanted Terra to have green hair in the end, not blonde).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Amano's renderings aren't really the "official" look for the character; it's however they look in-game. Take a look at Nintendo's FFVIA page to see what I mean.

FELIPE NO
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:57 PM #88 of 282
re: FFVIA drawings

I can understand not being too fond of Amano's unconventional, ethereal style. It's a decidely non-mainstream look. But you can't possibly think that an effeminate looking Edgar and Sabin and airhead popstar bimbo Terra are improvements.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:01 PM #89 of 282
I don't want to knock Amano; quite the opposite, he makes an excellent cover/promotional artist, but I've never considered his interpretations of any FF character to be their "official" look. Terra, to me, has green hair, not blonde. Kefka does not wear pink ruffles, Strago is not a creepy old man in bondage, and Locke....well I've been trying to find this one closeup on his face that was shown in the original SNES Strategy Guide, but I haven't been successful in that venture.
I wholeheartedly agree. The characters that are there are supposed to look like what they look in-game. I'm a fan of the more "cutesy" look as some call it. The in-game sprites are the characters that pop up if you told me to describe a character.

If you asked me "What's Terra look like?", I'd answer "the one with green hair" because that's probably the most unique feature of Terra's look.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:04 PM #90 of 282
Well, I've just purchased the game, $5 coupon and all. I'm in class until late night, though, so any impressions will have to wait until then.

EDIT: Hurrrrrgh.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Confirmed that the Celes prison scene IS edited, was not put back in from the JP release. It's the same except she's not chained to the wall, and it doesn't show them punching her at all. The text is still all there IIRC.

-GAF.

Even worse, they've also changed the line about Shadow killing his own mother for a nickel, to his brother. Okay, what. This has to be Nintendo's doing.

Still quite unhappy the above scene was changed.

Also, there's some reports that this game could be tough to find due to limited shipments. There were only about 3 copies in my local Best Buy, so this rumor might be warranted.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 6, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:13 PM #91 of 282
Dang, they left it out? Oh well, it's not like I haven't played the SNES version enough times to remember exactly what happens anyway. I ended up swinging by Best Buy to grab this and Diddy Kong Racing, though I'm sort of back to playing FF IV Advance now. I'll just have to balance the two until I finish up on the moon.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:14 PM #92 of 282
Think of the new generation. This is one of the very few non-comical moments from anyone in the Empire who isn't Kefka. It shows you exactly the kind of suffering Celes goes through.

This isn't going to encourage people to lock up girls and punch them, goddamit. It's for DRAMA.

And now Gamefaqs is going to start with some "ZOMG WHO IS SHADOW'S BROTHER I KNOW IT'S GOGO" shit.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:26 PM #93 of 282
Damn. Seriously, what was the point of leaving that out? For being misogynistic? Seriously? I don't know. I'll still buy it regardless. Just need to swing by Walmart or Best Buy or something sometime...So what's the retail price here in the US? $29.99? $34.99?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:28 PM #94 of 282
$29.99. Use the coupon.

Also, it's Japan's fault for leaving it out, and it's NA's fault for being too lazy to code it back in. Or to keep the E10 rating.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:29 PM #95 of 282
Yeah, the Shadow thing is complete crap. I loved that line. Oh well, just another story about the good ol' days when talking to young'uns.

"In MY day Celes got the shit kicked out of her by soldiers, and Shadow killed his mother!"
"That's nice, but we were talking about FF XVII..."

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:52 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 06:52 PM #96 of 282
Shadow didn't kill his mother, Edgar said he'd slit her throat for a nickel, a line which sounds nothing like Edgar.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:55 PM #97 of 282
Now that you mention it, the context could fit in Edgar's case. I'll have to read the line myself.

What I've yet to see mentioned was if any of the characters get a change in their dialect. Does Cyan still use thou-speak? What about Gau's pre-Ayla dialogue? And what about Relm's pottymouth, supposedly much more colorful in the original japanese version?

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:02 PM #98 of 282
Oh, that's right. I love the line, but I always forget where it's actually said in the game. I keep thinking it's in Shadow's introduction when you first meet him.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lolman
Syklis Green

Member 279

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:28 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 04:28 AM #99 of 282
Originally Posted by Valigarmanda
I still can't figure out why they'd change Moogle Charm to Molulu's Charm. There's not really a more appropriate name for a relic found in the Moogles' cave and only equippable by Mog.
I think Djibriel's FAQ from GameFAQs has all the info you need.

Originally Posted by Djibriel
For some trivia knowledge some would appreciate, Kuku is Mog's girlfriend. Kuku
is the weakest Moogle you'll find here and stands next to Mog on the battlefield
on the second position of his group. Male chauvinist pig explanation of Kuku's
weakness: she's a woman. Family-friendly support group-evading explanation:
although lacking in combat experience, Kuku shows some proverbial nuts by going
with her lover anyway. At any rate, the Moogle Charm you'll find later in the
game, a Mog-exclusive Relic, is supposed to be given to him by Kuku. The only
proof of this off-game knowledge lies in its Japanese roots: Kuku was called
Moruru there, and the Moogle Charm the Moruru's Charm.

Also, the Japanese Creation Data Collection Book supposedly clearly says the
Moogle Charm is a "crystal ball charm given by his lover, Moruru". I've never
seen it myself and wouldn't recognize Japanese if it exploded from my stomach
like the aliens in the aptly-named movies with Sigourney Weaver, but I have
no reason to doubt it either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:37 PM #100 of 282
The main reason I'm leary of changing "Momma" to "Brother" is that it could give newbies the impression that Shadow has a brother, which to my knowledge he does not. There's a possibility his friend in the flashback could be related, but since they never state otherwise, we merely assume it's his partner and nothing more.

Also, wasn't Mog's official age something like 13? A bit too young to have a lover or wife, right (or are Moogle years different from human years)?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced