Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] "On the Cutting Room Floor", or "Previews and their horrible, horrible lies."

Heisho-Ryuu
- Item 2 -

Member 2989

Level 14.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:18 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 05:18 PM #1 of 34
"On the Cutting Room Floor", or "Previews and their horrible, horrible lies."

Does anyone remembers the firsts screenshoots from this game where opening stage was VERY different to the one we know? Daylight instead of night, different buildings patterns, different enemies even a never-used version of the X-Buster that was like the 1st level charge but way longer.
I wonder if there was a prototype released or better yet, a ROM.

Share your thoughts (or screenshoots)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

~ For Everlasting Peace... ~

Last edited by Heisho-Ryuu; Feb 16, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:27 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 04:27 PM #2 of 34
Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. There were 3 or 4 screenshots in an old Nintendo Power magazine. I wonder if there's a beta floating around somewhere.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:15 PM #3 of 34

Ah, the infamous Rockman X Alpha. These scans are from the GamePro issue than covered the game's pre-release back in the day. You can find out everything you want to know about what little shots were available at The Mechanical Maniacs "Mega Man X Mysteries" section. Some of the unused graphics are actually kinda neat. I wish I could track down of ROM of this thing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Nall; Feb 16, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:48 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:48 PM #4 of 34
The lifebar has a P on it too instead of X. How interesting. I've seen more drastic changes in other games though. Anyone remember the kiddy version of Conker? Or Dinosaur Planet on the N64 before it was changed into a Starfox game by Rare? xD

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:52 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 01:52 AM #5 of 34
The lifebar has a P on it too instead of X. How interesting. I've seen more drastic changes in other games though. Anyone remember the kiddy version of Conker? Or Dinosaur Planet on the N64 before it was changed into a Starfox game by Rare? xD
How about the massive volumes of cut content we saw in old Twilight Princess trailers? Being chased through a tunnel by a giant spider, wandering around in a wide open forest full of cats, etc. In fact, same for most modern Zelda games. There are plenty of screenshots of Ocarina of Time depicting villages and dungeons completely gone from the final product.

Can we make this a 'cutting room floor' thread?

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:11 PM #6 of 34
Yes.

To this day, I think Conker is the one game that's seen the hugest amount of overhaul, both in look and subject matter. It was obviously for the better, and I think that in itself is worthy of some discussion. It became one of the most vile and offensive video games ever made after being revealed to be one of the most innocent and cute titles ever. It was quite a cool thing to see happen, especially after the final product was so brilliant.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:04 PM #7 of 34
In fact, same for most modern Zelda games. There are plenty of screenshots of Ocarina of Time depicting villages and dungeons completely gone from the final product.

I remember the US commercial having some kind of huge big blue angel rise in front of Link. Any idea why they would cut out interesting scenes? =/

Most amazing jew boots
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:26 PM #8 of 34
Or Dinosaur Planet on the N64 before it was changed into a Starfox game by Rare? xD
Oh god. This one pisses me off the most. Dinosaur Planet was supposed to be a pretty big action rpg where you switched between Krystal and Saber to do different things. The characters looked completely different as well from the upgrade. Not that I don't mind the graphical overhaul of Star Fox Adventures but the game was never meant to be a Star Fox game and slapping the franchise and gutting the original game of pretty much everything that made the game interesting ruined it for me. Instead we got one sequence with Krystal and had her play the damsel in distress role for the rest of it. Don't forget that the whole story, magic system, and other characters were tossed in the act. I was soooo fucking pumped for this game, and as much as I love Miyamoto he seriously fucked up on his little "Saber kind looks like Fox. Maybe we should make it Star Fox Adventures." fixation.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:47 PM #9 of 34
Anyone remember the kiddy version of Conker?

You can still see kiddie Conker as a playable character in Diddy Kong Racing. He was added to the game before his own title ("Conker's Quest", later "Twelve Tales: Conker 64") got its huge overhaul, so he's still got his old Disney-esque attitude and voice. Such a big change - it went form happy-go-lucky to Happy Tree Friends in only a few months!

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Nall; Feb 16, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:10 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:10 AM #10 of 34
There is still Conker's Pocket Tails on the GBC that retains the family friendly image.

That said, now changed to a "Cutting Room Floor" thread since the initial topic was both way too limited and way too retarded. Carry on, folks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:11 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 02:11 AM #11 of 34
This isn't going back too far, but one thing that really bothered me about Half-Life 2 was the E3 2003 footage.

See, two of the biggest selling points for me on HL1 were the interactivity, and the A.I. It was revolutionary to have interactive microwaves, or marines who knew how to take cover, return fire, and even flush you out with grenades if you just started taking potshots.

When I saw the level of interactive environment objects there were to take advantage of, I got excited. And when I saw the player use physics objects to block the door, and then the combine soldier that actually tried the door twice, and then proceeded to kick it the fuck in, I had to put on new pants.

Only later we learned how heavily scripted most of that stuff was, and the actual Half-Life 2 we got pretty much ditched any claims to enemy tactics or intelligent A.I. It wasn't bad, by any means, but I didn't really see any improvements.

Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:48 AM #12 of 34
Oh wow I just took a look at a bunch of that footage. Seems like they removed a whole bunch of junk just because it got leaked on the Internet. Wow it seems so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about that. I really hope they add some more interactiveness and of course those amazing looking hydras that they were so proud of putting in magazine articles. Seems the vehicles didn't handle like ass in the beta and battles look way more exciting.

I still like HL2 but I wouldn't have minded a little more of what was shown in these clips. Especially the parts in the city that had trolleys and lots of objects to pick up and tons of building variety. The striders really look like they're much more manageable in the beta. Antlions have a lot more ways of entering buildings too.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:59 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 05:59 PM #13 of 34
Hey guys, remember when Square first showed off The Bouncer, and everyone was excited because you could interact with the environment and do futuristic Emotion Engine(tm) powered stuff like jump over railings, pick up chairs to smash into enemies, sexy swing around polls, do backflips off walls (?!) and it had the whole MATRIX IS SO COOL bullet time crap? Yeah!

Then they released the game with none of those features.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:25 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 01:25 AM #14 of 34
Hey guys, remember when Square first showed off The Bouncer, and everyone was excited because you could interact with the environment and do futuristic Emotion Engine(tm) powered stuff like jump over railings, pick up chairs to smash into enemies, sexy swing around polls, do backflips off walls (?!) and it had the whole MATRIX IS SO COOL bullet time crap? Yeah!

Then they released the game with none of those features.
Sorry I don't remember those parts =(

Still, the bouncer was a pretty cool movie.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:59 AM #15 of 34
What about the infamous Xenosaga Margulis/Jin fight? That was shown in the trailer, but it was put into part 2. (and Jin lost his glasses along the way....)

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:13 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 07:13 AM #16 of 34
Seems like they removed a whole bunch of junk just because it got leaked on the Internet.
Yeah, somehow a keylogger made its way onto some high up's computer (maybe even Gabe N's himself, if I recall correctly), and then a bunch of source code got stolen. But after I heard about it, I figured that would only account for environment and/or story changes.

Well, at any rate, Alyx is proof-positive that they're trying to go a different direction with "interactivity." I can't really complain when it's done so well. <3

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:40 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 09:40 AM #17 of 34
I've always been interested in seeing games evolve through their development and inevitably having content cut from them, leading to a wealth of screenshots, videos, interviews, and even music and sound effects that are never seen in the released game. Unseen64 has some great material on it, I've gone through quite a bit on the site and it always amazes me how is removed before games see the light of day. They also posted the trailer of Dinosaur Planet on Youtube, which is really quite interesting because it seems like the game was almost complete at that point.

Zelda 64 probably recieved one of the biggest overhauls, since it was originally a 64DD game and was supposed to have all kinds of amazing features that took advantage of it. For example, there was going to be some persistant features if the world: cut a bush or tree, and it would remain cut for the rest of the game. It was also going to be based on an in-game time system where you basically had 7 days to save the world, and the day and night cycles were going to be much more dynamic and have a larger focus in the game. Some of the features were eventually rolled into OoT and Majora's Mask (which got a cut down, 3-day time system), but quite a few were never seen. And noone has been able to quite figure out why there's a fully working and fightable Arwing in the game code of OoT...

Resident Evil "1.5" as it's now come to be known was another big one that even today a lot of fans want to see released. It was basically a more action-oriented version of RE2 that had many things not found in the released version. Speaking of Resident Evil, RE4 is another one that went through so major design changes. The first version of it was eventually turned into Devil May Cry, the second (and possibly third) attempts were never shown, and the second-to-last version was eventually shown and videos of it were released. I think it looks like a perfect fusion between the "classic" RE style and RE4...shame nothing came of it.

As far as Half-life 2 goes, I was pretty disappointed that many of the E3 2003 scenes were drastically altered in the final version, but the leaked alpha of the game probably had virtually nothing to do with it. Almost all of the removals and changes were done because the game was, at that point, so unfinished that nothing really fit together in yet, and they weren't even making major design decisions until well after that point. Anyone else remember the Borealis?

It was the first major part of the game they revealed, the tanker that you would start off in and they talked about it a bunch in early interviews and showed screenshots of it and everything, yet it was cut very early during the game's development (before they even showed the game at E3 2003). The entire part in Episode 2 where they make a reference to how the ship "disappeared without a trace" and such seemed to be a direct joke about how they had suddenly removed it from HL2. The "Raising the Bar" book is a good source to find all kinds of information about how the game changed during it's development.

Oh, and another funny thing: neither of the 2 screenshots on the back of the original retail Half-life 2 box are in the game.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:14 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 10:14 AM #18 of 34
Remember Mother 3 for the 64DD and then it was supposed to come out for the N64 before it got canned then resurrected for the GBA.

Or how about Too Human when it was first announced for the Playstation. Check out the screens from that era and compare it what it is now. A complete overhaul. They didn't even put in the Norse mythology until it was announced for the 360.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:19 PM #19 of 34
Remember the preview for that game Duke Nuken Forever? Man, that was some crazy shit. I can't wait for it to come out in 2008*

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:45 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 11:45 PM #20 of 34
How about Star Fox 2? Nintendo Power had this huge preview on it and everything, it looked pretty awesome. Judging from the most recent prototype ROM that someone found, the game was nearly complete when Nintendo pulled the plug, too. It's wierd how marketing works; the game probably would have sold tons of copies, but they were too obsessed with pushing the N64. Then again, that was just one of a long period of questionable management decisions in Nintendo.

I remember reading a long article about some game on the PS1, I forget the name now, that was supposed to be co-starring Bruce Willis. It had Willis as the player's partner, and you went through the game like in a buddy action movie, covering each other and even competing for powerups. There was talk of having the two of you share life bars, even. It sounded like a pretty promising idea.

The game that came out, they tossed the entire concept and just made it a shitty generic 3rd person action game because the playtesters wanted to play as Bruce Willis' character themselves. Interference from above probably had something to do with that too.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:55 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 10:55 PM #21 of 34
I remember reading a long article about some game on the PS1, I forget the name now, that was supposed to be co-starring Bruce Willis. It had Willis as the player's partner, and you went through the game like in a buddy action movie, covering each other and even competing for powerups. There was talk of having the two of you share life bars, even. It sounded like a pretty promising idea.

The game that came out, they tossed the entire concept and just made it a shitty generic 3rd person action game because the playtesters wanted to play as Bruce Willis' character themselves. Interference from above probably had something to do with that too.
Shit... You have NO idea how horrible the game is until you play it. The name of the game is Apocalypse and I own it on PS1 because GamePro gave it a pretty good review back in the day. I played it once and never played it again. It was actually developed by Neversoft right before they struck temporary brilliance and developed the long-running Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

These days Neversoft is, in the opinion of this humble poster, a fucking joke; a downward spiral that started with Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and just hit rock bottom a couple of days ago.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 02:55 PM #22 of 34
Did anyone else watch the preview gameplay videos for Mass Effect? In them, one of the developers was going on about how you would be able to talk to every single character in the game, how you'd be able to interrupt their sentences and swap control to other characters in your team. The final trailer even implied you'd have to decide between rescuing some people or getting on with your mission.

In the final game you can talk to a limited number of people, must wait for them to finish before you talk, can't swap control to other characters and the game itself is entirely linear with none of your choices really effecting the rest of the universe.

It's a great game but nothing like the preview material.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:34 PM #23 of 34
This is going to sound pretty predictable, but Fable was a HUGE bummer in every respect. I remember (even though I didn't have an xbox) getting hyped up about the good/evil aspect, how everything I did was supposed to affect the way people reacted, and how I was supposed to be able to go from boy to adult.

Instead, when the game came out, boy and teenager were tutorial levels and adults didn't have nearly the freedom of doing whatever that was promised.

And the kid stage was probably the most boring first little while in a game that I have EVER played.

FELIPE NO
Top Dollar
Still Alive And Kickin'!

Member 546

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:17 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 12:17 AM #24 of 34
Remember those C&C: Tiberian Sun previews... where they promised us a full-fledged voxel engine?

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:55 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 11:55 PM #25 of 34
Remember those C&C: Tiberian Sun previews... where they promised us a full-fledged voxel engine?

That much was true actually, many of the units and some structures (to my surprise) were actually voxel-based models. It obviously doesn't use them for everything, but the game definitely used quite a bit of voxel rendering.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] "On the Cutting Room Floor", or "Previews and their horrible, horrible lies."