Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Amusing] "Shut up wife, I need to earn DP so I can get rares. Damn."

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:19 PM #1 of 8
"Shut up wife, I need to earn DP so I can get rares. Damn."

Quote:
Although best-selling online role-playing game World of Warcraft boasts over ten million subscribers, it's also leaving in its wake an increasing list of casualties.

Even though she's never played the game, 28 year-old Jocelyn is one of the fallen. A well-spoken California resident, she divorced her husband of six years after he developed a crippling addiction to the smash online RPG.

"He would get home from work at 6:00, start playing at 6:30, and he'd play until three a.m. Weekends were worse -- it was from morning straight through until the middle of the night," she told Yahoo! Games in an interview. "It took away all of our time that we spent together. I ceased to exist in his life."
Oh shit! Here we go!

Quote:
Jocelyn had been friends with her ex-husband Peter since the age of 13, but it took only nine months for her marriage to collapse.
Rut-roh!

Quote:
"I bought the game for him for Christmas 2004, when it first came out. By May we had our first serious discussion about where our marriage was going, and by September I had moved out," she said.

Jocelyn recalled one particular incident that was typical of Peter's habits. "I had set aside 30 minutes for us to watch a television show together, and he couldn't. He was stuck on a raid, and completely failed to understand why I was upset," she said.
She just doesn't understand. The new patch is out and he needs to grab up that new armor spec before anyone else in his clan!

Quote:
Peter's domestic duties also suffered. He stopped paying bills, she says, and refused to do his share of the housework.

Jocelyn doesn't hesitate to cite Warcraft as the main reason for her divorce and remains emotional about its impact on her marriage. "I'm real, and you're giving me up for a fantasy land. You're destroying your life, your six-year marriage, and you're giving it up for something that isn't even real."

Despite their differences, the couple remains friends, and although Peter still plays World of Warcraft, Jocelyn says he made an effort to cut down after their split.
Doesn't that bastard know there's a new expansion droppin soon?

Quote:
A gamer herself, Jocelyn briefly worked for World of Warcraft developer Blizzard Entertainment, although not on the title that proved so damaging to her relationship. "I recognized that this was a game that would never end, and that's why I chose not to play it," she said.

"They build it in such a way that you have to keep putting more and more time into it to maintain your status. I remember thinking when I was married that it was downright exploitative to people who couldn't control themselves in that way. It's set up like a drug."

Asked if she would consider marrying another Warcraft player, Jocelyn laughed. "That's actually one of my primary criteria now -- I don't want to marry someone who is a gamer."
Ah hah! That's like a Russian mobster marrying someone, finding out they're addicted to the delicious taste of pirogies, and then divorcing them because said spouse loves pasta+potato waayyy too much.
What a hypocrite.

Uh...discuss.

source

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:58 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 01:28 AM #2 of 8
I'm not a big fan of WOW. To be honest I hate the game, because I have a few friends that make their fantasy life much more important than their real life and its because of this that I haven't been a big fan of MMORPG's to begin with.

It would be wrong of me to say that all people who play WOW are losers, the thing is I still have a few friends who do play the game but still like to go out and sociaize. Its not in the sense that I think that WOW is a bad game, and I just think what's bad are people who are addicted to it like some sort of a drug (nothing else matters in their life except playing WOW for 12-16 hours a day). Not all WOW players are bad, as much as I hate the game I don't see any faults with people playing it. Like i said before the only real fault I've ever seen is people who make their online life more important then their real life and I've lost really good friendships because of that.

Your absolutely right Matt, the wife is being a big hypocrite because she is saying that just because her first marriage failed she thinks that all gamers are the same because of her experiences with her ex-husband. The fact she calls herself a gamer makes it even worse.

In my eyes a video game was not the cause of this marriage failing it was the addiction to a video game that caused this marriage to collapse.

Hell, I'm getting married this summer and my fiance & I are gamers, but as much as we like to play games and we do have our favourites series, we never make our video games more important than our relationship.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Angel of Light; Feb 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:26 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 01:26 AM #3 of 8
I'm not a big fan of WOW. To be honest I hate the game, because I have a few friends that make their fantasy life much more important than their real life and its because of this that I haven't been a big fan of MMORPG's to begin with.

It would be wrong of me to say that all people who play WOW are losers, the thing is I still have a few friends who do play the game but still like to go out and sociaize. Its not in the sense that I think that WOW is a bad game, and I just think what's bad are people who are addicted to it like some sort of a drug (nothing else matters in their life except playing WOW for 12-16 hours a day). Not all WOW players are bad, as much as I hate the game I don't see any faults with people playing it. Like i said before the only real fault I've ever seen is people who make their online life more important then their real life and I've lost really good friendships because of that.

Your absolutely right Matt, the wife is being a big hypocrite because she is saying that just because her first marriage failed she thinks that all gamers are the same because of her experiences with her ex-husband. The fact she calls herself a gamer makes it even worse.

In my eyes a video game was not the cause of this marriage failing it was the addiction to a video game that caused this marriage to collapse.

Hell, I'm getting married this summer and my fiance & I are gamers, but as much as we like to play games and we do have our favourites series, we never make our video games more important than our relationship.
And you call yourself a gamer?

Mr. you are making Peter (OP's wow addict) a sad guy... (Btw, I think it was his wife who gave him the game... silly wife)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:31 PM #4 of 8
Quote:
Jocelyn laughed. "That's actually one of my primary criteria now -- I don't want to marry someone who is a gamer."
Though I dunno if she means people that play games, or people that are obsessed with games, as in they have it 24/7.

The term gamer I feels more of an insult now a days. The same thing Rotor was talking about a while back, but gamer turns into like "Sitting in front of your TV for hours on end, and not having any control over your outside life", when before you could use it as an entertainment, and no one had problems with it. I guess the reason being is that games are more and more accessible, and that we want to escape from life, but at the same time, people make it too much of a standard.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:42 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 12:42 PM #5 of 8
The word she's looking for is "addict", unless she likes looking like a stupid bitch. It wasn't games, it was his addiction to them. To try and act otherwise is pretty stupid, not that I enjoy the term "Gamer" like you already said.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 04:53 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:23 PM #6 of 8
I've lost friends due to this game, so WOW is not scoring many points with me, but the addiction is the real problem.

I have a friend who is really into WOW, but he will stop playing if you visit, and he will stop any raids or whatnot if you invite him to go out somewhere, some x-friends won't even look at your face if you visit them while they are playing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:00 PM #7 of 8
I've lost friends due to this game, so WOW is not scoring many points with me, but the addiction is the real problem.

I have a friend who is really into WOW, but he will stop playing if you visit, and he will stop any raids or whatnot if you invite him to go out somewhere, some x-friends won't even look at your face if you visit them while they are playing.
Luckly for me I had friends that didn't have an addiction to WoW. Yea it was the favorite game to play, because a good portion of us played it, but we knew when to stop and get a breath of fresh air and such.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:25 AM #8 of 8
Ugh... A friend of mine just started playing the game. I honestly wanted to slap him because he wanted to get into it. He claims that he isn't going to get addicted, but I seriously doubt that. Every other one of my friends got addicted to it and their usual conversation consists of their armor, weapons, or what level their at.

Their conversations are as bad as me not shutting up about playing In The Groove. At least I get exercise when I play. It's a healthy addiction, therefore it's not as bad as being addicted to WoW. <_<

But DDR aside, I really hate my friends who will drop everything you're doing with them on a dime for a damn raid. A couple years ago, one of my best friends would call us up to hang out at two o'clock and then say to us, "We gotta wrap this up soon. I got a raid at 4." You're seriously not gaining any cookie points telling us that you wanna hang out, and the drop us because you're trying to impress a bunch of idiots online.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Amusing] "Shut up wife, I need to earn DP so I can get rares. Damn."