Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] "The Wii is more fun,"

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:16 PM #1 of 16
"The Wii is more fun,"

... says the Sony General Manager of the Australia and New Zealand branch.

Quote:
PS3 better late than never

Asher Moses
December 4, 2006

Sony has brushed aside concerns that, when the PlayStation 3 (PS3) eventually launches in Australia, it will be too late and expensive to compete with the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

The PS3 was originally slated to launch locally on November 17, but this date has since been pushed back to March next year. Sony cited a "delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode" used in the console's Blu-ray disc drive.

The delay will allow the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360 a significant head start in the next-generation console wars. Xbox 360 has been on sale for more than seven months now, while the Wii launches at midnight on Wednesday.

But Nic Foster, general manager for Sony Australia & New Zealand, doesn't believe this delay will have a significant impact on the PS3's position in the local market.

"The Wii-type functionality is more just a sub-element of what the PlayStation 3 offers," he said in an interview.

"Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up, where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution; so you can have your fun, enjoyable gaming ... but then you have a whole suite of other applications ... such as Blu-ray media playback, the ability to access your music, access your photos and the interoperability with the PlayStation Portable.

"Gamers are extremely aware of what they're after and what they want. So gamers will already have a very good understanding of what PlayStation 3 offers versus what Wii offers and many of them will probably have both devices."

Aside from causing production delays, the inclusion of a Blu-ray disc drive in every PS3 has also significantly pushed up the price of the console.

When it eventually launches locally, the PS3 will sell for either $829 or $999, depending on the bundle you choose. The Wii will retail for $399.95, while the Xbox 360 can now be bought for about $650.

Blu-ray is one of two next-generation disc formats competing to be the successor to DVD. HD DVD, the other format, is backed by Sony's chief console rival, Microsoft.

Unlike Sony, Microsoft decided against including a HD DVD drive in all Xbox 360 consoles, instead offering HD DVD as an optional add-on.

This allowed it to have the Xbox 360 on sale well before the Christmas shopping rush, and is also a contributing factor to the lower price of the console.

But Sony doesn't regret bundling Blu-ray by default. Mr Foster said it would "future-proof" the console, and would lead to higher quality games, as Blu-ray discs offered significantly higher capacities for game developers to work with than a standard DVD.

Paul Holman, vice-president of technology at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, also defended the decision to offer Blu-ray by default.

In an interview in Sydney today he said offering Blu-ray as an add-on, as Microsoft had done with HD DVD and the Xbox 360, would have been dangerous because it meant games developers would not have a single architecture to cater for.

"It's just messy," said Mr Holman, adding that it would be difficult for developers to design games for the PS3 if they had to consider that some gamers wouldn't have purchased a Blu-ray upgrade.

Even if the PS3 is a retail success, it might still be a while before Sony received a decent return on its investment.

The Economist reported recently that Sony would lose money on each PS3 sold for the first few years, until production costs could be reduced.

Sony will instead make its money from fees on every game sold; however, overseas game sales have been lacklustre so far, as many have bought the PS3 as a cheaper alternative to a more expensive, dedicated, Blu-ray player, rather than using it as a games console.

Yet even this approach isn't fool-proof, as those buying the PS3 primarily for its Blu-ray capabilities still have to factor in the cost of the big screen, high-definition television that's required to take full advantage of the format's better quality images.

Fortunately for Sony, the next-generation console wars won't be decided purely based on sales this Christmas. Rather, it will take some time for consumers to embrace the new consoles and for clear leaders to emerge.

Both Mr Holman and Mr Foster were quick to point out that Sony is in it for the long haul, and the long-term benefits of including advanced technologies such as Blu-ray could easily outweigh the short-term price and timing trade-offs.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/games/pla...080869332.html

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:42 PM #2 of 16
I'm just surprised by how expensive things are in AU.

Most amazing jew boots

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 09:18 PM #3 of 16
It's in Australian dollars. It's like Canadian dollars, but weaker, as far as i know.

But that aside, yeah, with the exchange i'm pretty sure it comes out to more anyways.

That's really nothing different from what they've all been predicting from the beginning. Sony isn't just a game machine, it's an entertainment centre. The Wii is more for games, the PS3 is for everything else, plus games. Idealy, there'll be one of each in each gamer's house.

The only thing i didin't already see coming was the lackluster game sales. I guess it's a given, seeing as how i can't think of a single PS3 game that i would go for, maybe everyone else is in the same mindframe.

Mind you, the same goes for pretty much any console on launch.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:02 AM #4 of 16
Originally Posted by some retarded guy
Yet even this approach isn't fool-proof, as those buying the PS3 primarily for its Blu-ray capabilities still have to factor in the cost of the big screen, high-definition television that's required to take full advantage of the format's better quality images.
Seriously. Don't you think most consumers who are going out there buying Blu-Ray players or PS3s are fully fucking aware that they'll need a high definition solution to take full advantage of the movie playback. You might even make the inference that these people already own, or at least plan to own, a high definition display. I like how the author alludes that it's only the $10,000 60 inch Bravia XBRs and their FULL HD capabilities that can offer this advantage. I'm still not sure how any of this has anything to do with the PS3 launch in Aussie or the revenue Sony will lose/gain for each unit sold. Who wrote this article anyway, and what's he getting at?

What was this discussion even about? Some guy that works for Sony says the Wii is more fun than the PS3. Since that claim can neither be objectively proven true nor false we can just conclude it as a meaningless statement and that he is talking wtfnonsense. Still. Somebody's getting fired. I mean what a retarded thing to say.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:52 PM #5 of 16
Hmm... as much as I love Australia, I am glad I don't have to wait like that. It kinda sucks to have to wait, while almost the rest of the world (At least major centres) get the product much quicker, and cheaper...

It will be interesting to see what is going to happen with the console wars down there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bolide
Get Ready for the Surprise!

Member 15657

Level 6.75

Nov 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 05:52 PM #6 of 16
Originally Posted by Helloween
i can't think of a single PS3 game that i would go for, maybe everyone else is in the same mindframe.

Mind you, the same goes for pretty much any console on launch.
Indeed. In fact, this is the secondary reason I'm not interested in the console as of now. The primary reason of course being the ridiculous price tag.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 03:15 PM #7 of 16
Taken way out of context. He said that the Wii is more focused on being simply fun. In contrast to the PS3, which has multiple uses and purposes. He's not making a value judgment saying that a system is "more fun", since obviously it's the games that are fun, not the system...

FELIPE NO
Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:18 PM #8 of 16
good point, but he still worded it poorly.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 12:12 PM #9 of 16
Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
It will be interesting to see what is going to happen with the console wars down there.
360 will whitewash the competition. I mean sure Wii has got off to a flying start, the biggest console launch in Australian history but Microsoft are a fucking juggarnaught down here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:44 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 12:44 AM #10 of 16
Really? I had no idea Microsoft had gotten that much of a hold down there.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:49 AM #11 of 16
Neither did I. And with Sony being out of the picture longer, it's not looking good for them this generation. Considering they'll be in the red after season. Costs too damn much to make the system.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 06:14 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2006, 12:14 PM #12 of 16
Sony/Microsoft still have the monopoly down here. There's no Nintendo of New Zealand, either. It's run by a crappy distributor (and they've recently changed hands, too.)

You would be surprised how many fucking idiots in New Zealand are supporting the 360 "because it was released first" and "because it has a jump ahead of the competition" and now everyone's running around after the Wii. It's hilarious. This country has no perception.

The PS2's still doing strong because there's games like Buzz (albeit terrible trash) which take the whole "let's play a family game" thing away from the Gamecube (which died here a few years ago) and into a console which already most people own.

The PS3 will probably do pretty well here I'm guessing. Then again, people are either going to ride the hype or they aren't. Check it - $1299 New Zealand dollars for a PS3 for Sony to break a profit. That's fucking ridiculous.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 06:01 PM #13 of 16
As far as the lackluster sales go, that can be DIRECTLY attributed to one specific cause. The Lack of Hardware: Since there is a significant lack of PS3s available for sale, of course not many people are going to get the games either.

I was speaking idiomatically.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:51 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 02:51 PM #14 of 16
Calm down JackyBoy. You'd actually be amazed at what a lot of consumers, especially parents, don't know.

Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
Hmm... as much as I love Australia, I am glad I don't have to wait like that. It kinda sucks to have to wait, while almost the rest of the world (At least major centres) get the product much quicker, and cheaper...
Maybe there will be some decent games for it by the time aussieland gets it :P

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2006, 02:40 PM #15 of 16
I will be getting a PS3, but only when a good game comes out for it. The only reason for me getting a PS3 is for many of the PRGs that will be available for it. I prefer the Wii cuz its far more fun to play.

Most amazing jew boots
watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 08:59 AM #16 of 16
As chuckle worthy that article might be, it's a fairly accurate observation. I wouldn't describe ICO as being 'fun', yet it's probably my favourite PS2 game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] "The Wii is more fun,"