Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

$1600 for a desktop

Garret
Smile on my face

Member 14246

Level 8.68

Oct 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:30 AM #26 of 28
It's not that, but more the fact that Vista is a memory hog. I mean, the fact that you need more than 2GB to get a well performing system is ridiculous. And the 32-bit memory address limit only compounds the problem. Bleh...
I'd have to disagree with this somewhat.
Vista works fine with 2gb of Ram. Now that might depend greatly one what kind of ram you are using.. as obviously 2GB of DDRII is better than 2GB of PC133, but you should get a slap upside the head for loading VISTA on any machine that uses PC133 Ram (and i've yet to see a home pc using PC133 with 2GB+ ram). Every PC in my house has 2GB or more, and 3 out of 6 are running Vista fine. The other ones run linux or XP, but are more than capable.

Also, it's not like Vista does nothing with all that RAM it's using, it simply does a lot more in the background, especially in terms of indexing and constantly making shadowcopies of files while also running a virtual Registery. The second you turn on a game, it stops all that and the system uses no more ram than XP.

Now don't get me wrong, while I am not a huge fan of Vista, I just don't like to see if blasted over false reasons. As for the 32-bit part, Vista was originally designed with 64bit in mind, and only went 32-bit due to the mass market still relying on 32bit, and with Vista being not-so-legacy-friendly already, MS just figured they'd take it one step at a time. Vista 64 however is FAR better than XP64.

Most amazing jew boots
Lucca
Mew? D:

Member 822

Level 4.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:54 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 03:54 PM #27 of 28
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of flames considering I bought this computer and didn't build one of my own (sacrilege, I know), but I bought a Velocity Micro A30 computer from circuit city and have been very happy with it.

Plus it's big enough to allow me to tinker with it so I can learn how to build computer related things and not have tech guys make fun of me ever again!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
baconharvester
Carob Nut

Member 627

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 02:14 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 12:14 PM #28 of 28
I almost have a completed list of all the components I need, but when should I actually buy my parts? Should I buy it during Black Friday and try to get some major discounts or should I purchase it after the holiday season when companies release their newest components (ie. Wolfsdale & Yorkfield CPUs)?

If I buy an SLI capable motherboard, is it ok just to use one video card and then add an additional one later if I should ever need/want it. Also, how many case fans do you guys recommend adding if I use this ATX Full Case?

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by baconharvester; Nov 5, 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > $1600 for a desktop