Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

'NTLDR is missing'

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:33 PM #1 of 7
'NTLDR is missing'

This is the first time I've ever seen this, so bear with me here. I thought I was finished making a new computer for my dad, and everything is going along nicely until this pops up. Basically this is what pops up:

'NTLDR is missing

Press CTRL+ATL+DEL to restart'

and the same thing happens at every restart? How exactly do I fix this? I don't exactly have a floppy drive to work with, just in case someone recommends flashing the BIOS.

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:53 PM #2 of 7
make sure it's looking at the right drive when it starts up. my PC says that every time my 160GB hard disk is loaded from instead of my 74GB (usually happens after a BIOS reset).

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:23 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 09:23 PM #3 of 7
This really does sound like an outdated BIOS so you might need to get a floppy drive in the system one way or another. A simple fix you can try before that is to copy those files from the WindowsXP CD via the recovery console and to check the boot.ini file.

Boot from the WinXP CD, enter the Recovery Console when the option is given, then type:

Code:
copy <cd-drive>:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy <cd-drive>:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

If that doesn't help, load up windows, and go to run and type:

Code:
Edit c:\boot.ini
Make sure this line is under boot:

Code:
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
And this under operating systems:

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
This specifics where the Windows folder is located and unless you installed windows on a different partition or drive and not at the default C:\Windows then this line should look exactly like this. If it doesn't, copy these lines and replace them in the boot.ini file and save it. Note the version of windows in quotes depends on the version being used. If this is the home version, it would say "Microsoft Windows XP Home." This really doesn't matter as it is simply a friendly name.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 6, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 02:02 AM #4 of 7
Originally Posted by RushJet1
make sure it's looking at the right drive when it starts up. my PC says that every time my 160GB hard disk is loaded from instead of my 74GB (usually happens after a BIOS reset).
That wouldn't make sense since this is a new build, and the HDD is 320GB SATA. Does it have to do with the fact that the computer is recognizing the drive as being on IDE Channel 2? SATA mode is on, or is this somehow the BIOS' way of acknowledging SATA drives?

Originally Posted by Cetra
This really does sound like an outdated BIOS so you might need to get a floppy drive in the system one way or another. A simple fix you can try before that is to copy those files from the WindowsXP CD via the recovery console and to check the boot.ini file.

Boot from the WinXP CD, enter the Recovery Console when the option is given, then type:

Code:

copy <cd-drive>:\i386\ntldr c:\ copy <cd-drive>:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

If that doesn't help, load up windows, and go to run and type:

Code:

Edit c:\boot.ini

Make sure this line is under boot:

Code:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S

And this under operating systems:

Code:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP" /fastdetect

This specifics where the Windows folder is located and unless you installed windows on a different partition or drive and not at the default C:\Windows then this line should look exactly like this. If it doesn't, copy these lines and replace them in the boot.ini file and save it. Note the version of windows in quotes depends on the version being used. If this is the home version, it would say "Microsoft Windows XP Home." This really doesn't matter as it is simply a friendly name.
Damn, I can't even install Windows on said machine, let alone access it and I have no way of getting a floppy drive at the moment. So I'll try your first part, Cetra, otherwise I have an affordable pile of components sitting here.

Do I do the Windows part on the afflicted computer or on another in order to make the floppy disk?

Double Post:
Damn, I tried it Cetra, and it apparently found NTLDR on the drive and as I was installing Windows I got an error that was basically:

NTL_PARTS_NOT_EQUAL or something like that, and the installation shuts down to prevent damage to the computer. When I restart the computer, NTLDR is not found... once again. Someone told me to go to the recovery console and run CHKDSK and CHKDSK /p and it found 'one or more errors on the volume'.

What do I do now?
Does this mean the drive is bad?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Dec 6, 2006 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 10:45 PM #5 of 7
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Damn, I can't even install Windows on said machine, let alone access it and I have no way of getting a floppy drive at the moment. So I'll try your first part, Cetra, otherwise I have an affordable pile of components sitting here.

Do I do the Windows part on the afflicted computer or on another in order to make the floppy disk?

Double Post:
Damn, I tried it Cetra, and it apparently found NTLDR on the drive and as I was installing Windows I got an error that was basically:

NTL_PARTS_NOT_EQUAL or something like that, and the installation shuts down to prevent damage to the computer. When I restart the computer, NTLDR is not found... once again. Someone told me to go to the recovery console and run CHKDSK and CHKDSK /p and it found 'one or more errors on the volume'.

What do I do now?
Does this mean the drive is bad?

This is sounding more and more like a BIOS issue. Is this a new computer with a new motherboard?

CHKDSK finding errors is somewhat expected, though I don't think the drive is bad, rather something is corrupting the file system.

One last thing you can try besides a BIOS update is to boot into windows safe mode, put the Windows XP cd in the drive it was originally installed from and go to Run and type:

Code:
sfc /scannow
This will do a scan of all windows system files and replace any files that are missing or don't pass a checksum. It will also use any service pack files so it isn't quite as a 'shotgun' fix as a repair install is.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:20 AM #6 of 7
Originally Posted by Cetra
This is sounding more and more like a BIOS issue. Is this a new computer with a new motherboard?
This baby's still wet behind the ears, man. All this stuff is new, though you're on the money about the BIOS being old. Earlier, I put in a customer support email to ECS and saw that the version that the motherboard has is a tad old. The update didn't seem to have anything fixing any NTLDR issue though.

Quote:
CHKDSK finding errors is somewhat expected, though I don't think the drive is bad, rather something is corrupting the file system.
This is probably it, since I ran FIXMBR and wiped the slate clean and get no NTLDR error. However, when I don't have that problem and I'm installing Windows I get one of 2 errors at the start:

Missing Shell.dll

Missing MRDX

And after the installation continues, I get the full screen error with a swarm of 1s and 0s with intermittent Xs.

It says this for both my bootleg XP Professional disc and the official XP Home Edition disc. After I reset the computer when this error comes up, it goes through POST and rams right into NTLDR again. I don't know exactly what's going on, but my attempted installations and their missing files seem to be screwing around with something.

Quote:
One last thing you can try besides a BIOS update is to boot into windows safe mode, put the Windows XP cd in the drive it was originally installed from and go to Run and type:

Code:
sfc /scannow
This will do a scan of all windows system files and replace any files that are missing or don't pass a checksum. It will also use any service pack files so it isn't quite as a 'shotgun' fix as a repair install is.
Question: How do you boot into Windows safe mode from DOS? That sounds like this would work, especially in fixing whatever my discs are lacking.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:34 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 12:34 AM #7 of 7
Yeah hold on to F8 after the system POST but before Windows starts to boot and a menu with the option to enter safe mode will come up.

Having those other missing files after another install seems strange though. Using new IDE ribbons and such with the disc drives? Almost seems like the data stream from the CD device is getting corrupted somehow.

Double check the hard drive as well making sure the SATA cable is secure and also double check the required BIOS settings for the drive. Some motherboards do set the SATA channel to the second IDE channel for older OS support, but with the problems you are getting it seems the SATA channel isn't configured correctly and/or the drive isn't be recognized as the primary drive after an install which is screwing up the NTLDR file.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 7, 2006 at 03:39 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > 'NTLDR is missing'