Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Laptop won't charge battery

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2010, 04:13 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2010, 03:13 AM #1 of 3
Laptop won't charge battery

For the past few months my laptop hasn't been able to charge any battery I've put in it. I've tried different batteries and AC adapters and get the same result, so I think there's something wrong internally inside the laptop.

The weird thing is that no matter what AC adapter or battery I've used, the battery won't charge but it won't actually drain much either. When I look at the battery indicator it tells me that a fully charged battery has over 5,000 hours of battery life remaining. If I take out the AC adapter the battery life goes down to a normal amount, so it's like the laptop can recognize the power coming from the AC adapter but can't actually use it to charge the battery.

I bought an external battery charger as a short term fix, but I was wondering if anyone recognized the problem and knew of an easy way to fix it. I'd like to get it working normally again, but it's not a big enough problem to warrant me trying to get it professionally repaired at the moment.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2010, 05:20 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2010, 06:20 PM #2 of 3
I have encountered a similar problem with my Lenovo Y550-P. Fortunately, I purchased an extended three-year warranty when buying the unit in 2009, and thus repairs are free. Turns out a power surge fried the motherboard's electronics, more specifically that one which charges the battery.

Perhaps you're n the same boat.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:33 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2010, 10:33 AM #3 of 3
Sounds like it could be something like that. I just noticed one day that the charge light on the laptop wasn't lit up even after I had just got through using it without the AC adapter, so it probably had encountered some random power surge the day before.

Unfortunately I had a two year warranty which expired near the beginning of this year, so any repairs now would have to come out of my pocket. But since it's not really that big of a problem (it's more of an inconvenience), and because I'd honestly rather put any money towards a new laptop rather than towards repairing this one, I'll just let it slide for now.

Thanks for the diagnosis though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Laptop won't charge battery