Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 10:39 PM #26 of 56
Then there's the battle right after Velius with Celia and Lede on the roof.
A lot of people have a problem with this fight but I never did. Then again, I never tried to steal their unique weaponry which is what a lot of people attempted to do.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 10:47 PM #27 of 56
It's not an incredibly difficult battle, especially compared to the one that comes before it, but it could get pretty annoying if you're unlucky. It all depends on who the assassins choose to attack and with what.

How ya doing, buddy?
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old May 19, 2010, 10:50 PM Local time: May 19, 2010, 11:50 PM #28 of 56
FFT isn't really all that hard a game once you get a solid grasp on putting a decent team together, but that Wiegraf battle truly is something else. Even after you've been through it once, it still manages to kick your ass on every play-through. Also agreed on the Marquis battle on the roof being a close second, but I don't recall anywhere near as big a level of frustration from that one.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Juggle dammit
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 11:06 PM #29 of 56
I'm trying to think of the tougher FFT missions. The obvious ones are the random battles where theres NOTHING BUT CHOCOBOS. Holy shit, that was insane, especially if you had more than one Yellow and they just healed everyone over and over.

Oh, the damn mission where you finally put Gaffgarion out of his misery - but to do so, you have to get over the castle wall and open the drawbridge. And while you're doing that, he's hitting you with stasis attacks from on the other side where you can't reach him.

I was speaking idiomatically.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old May 19, 2010, 11:26 PM Local time: May 20, 2010, 12:26 AM #30 of 56
I've always found the fake execution site to be a hard enough battle. Those time mages on the top walkway just took too much time to get to. It didn't help that Gafgarion was there along with a few knights to keep your stronger characters busy and near death all the time.

The battle where you kill Angus was also quite testing the first time I went through it. It didn't help that half your party took like three turns to actually join the main fight, since they had to walk all the way around the fort.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Juggle dammit
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 01:49 AM #31 of 56
The mission in which you're introduced to Rafa and Malak was rather annoying. Both were frail as rice paper, especially Rafa, and neither of them could do a whole lot to reliably defend themselves since their innate powers were so randomized. The enemy troops went right for Rafa, typically, and if either died, the game was over.

It was annoying because the mission was so stacked against you that it became a race out of the gate, and forced you to rush into a situation in which you were woefully surrounded. You almost absolutely needed to bring a Chemist or White Mage and the enemy AI seemed programmed to gang rape those classes first. And it was damn near critical to have Rafa if you wanted to find any of the awesome items using Walk/Find later in the game.

And let me tell you, chickening that bitch to a Bravery of 11 is a fucking chore.

FELIPE NO
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 01:53 AM Local time: May 19, 2010, 11:53 PM #32 of 56
Ah yes, I remember one.

In the Genesis X-Men game after fighting Mojo, you have to lightly press the reset button in order to proceed. Of course, there was the high chance that lightly pressed or not, the game resets back to the main menu, which is tons of bullshit. And no, the game DOES NOT give you ANY hint to proceed, whatsoever. Oh, there was a timer as well. Don't lightly press reset? Game fuckin' over.

Sega Nomad doesn't have any reset button so it is literally impossible to finish the game on that system.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 06:27 AM #33 of 56
I'm trying to think of the tougher FFT missions. The obvious ones are the random battles where theres NOTHING BUT CHOCOBOS. Holy shit, that was insane, especially if you had more than one Yellow and they just healed everyone over and over.
Are you talking about the packs at the end of the game? where they were sometimes coupled with shitloads of dragon types? Even Orlandu would die in a few hits against that horde. It was always a bit creepy to get in random battles at that point.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 09:02 AM Local time: May 20, 2010, 07:02 AM #34 of 56
Does anyone else remember the battle in SaGa Frontier where you had to get X many unique combo attacks in order to kill the boss? I hated it since I could try the exact same command choices between characters two attempts in a row and wind up with a different outcome each time. I never really got how the linking system worked, and that pretty much destroyed the game for me.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 07:52 PM #35 of 56
I just recalled Beyond the Beyond and those ridiculous mages (or was it wizards?).

They'd blast your team with a spell, knocking half of them groggy. THat half of the team would take a turn to recover only for the other half to get knocked groggy. There was little relief from this.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 10:10 PM #36 of 56
I just recalled Beyond the Beyond and those ridiculous mages (or was it wizards?).
Holy shit I havent thought about that game in ages. Never played it but witnessed said frustration.

Are you talking about the packs at the end of the game? where they were sometimes coupled with shitloads of dragon types? Even Orlandu would die in a few hits against that horde. It was always a bit creepy to get in random battles at that point.
Never really had them mixed with dragons. For me it was nothing BUT chocobos. All three types too - yellow, red and black. Whenever I got those random battles, I'd just reset the Playstation.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2010, 12:08 PM Local time: May 21, 2010, 10:08 AM #37 of 56
Heh, Beyond the Beyond. I remember buying it because I couldn't believe it was as bad as everyone said it was.

They were right.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2010, 03:52 PM Local time: May 21, 2010, 09:52 PM #38 of 56
I don't remember any hard fights in FFT, I thought the whole game suffered for being too easy really, maybe I was overlevelled when I played it or something, I dunno.

Anyone ever play the second Colony Wars game? There was a level in that where you had to tow asteroids into a big spaceship to destroy it all the while being shot at by fighters and defence guns, plus when towing the rocks you could barely steer so were a sitting duck and there was a really tight time limit on it plus the physics for the asteroids were fucked so they never moved properly or they'd clip straight through the target.

Never beat that mission or in fact the game, it was hard as fuck.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2010, 06:29 PM #39 of 56
Never really had them mixed with dragons. For me it was nothing BUT chocobos. All three types too - yellow, red and black. Whenever I got those random battles, I'd just reset the Playstation.
Quoted for truth. I've beaten Final Fantasy Tactics SEVERAL times (me being enough of a fanboy to do playthroughs limiting myself to a single class) and those Red Chocobos will rip you to shreds with Choco Meteor. This is especially ridiculous near the end game since random encounter monsters level with you. In most other games, monsters leveling with you doesn't pose too much of a problem, but in this game, it'll rape you.

Of course, on the topic of FFT, let us not forget the notorious 11 Monk battle at Grog Hill which, if you're the unlucky sap that has to pass through that point before getting Orlandu, effectively says "Go back to your last save."

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2010, 07:29 PM #40 of 56
Anyone ever play the second Colony Wars game?
I beat both games and remember little about them aside from *really*, *really* hating them. Who ever it was that came up with the control concept of having to hold down bumpers to just MOVE YOUR FIGHTER needs to have his fucking legs broke.

Star Trek: Invasion was the same type of game, done way better (though it was intensely frustrating). The last level was batshit insane though.

YouTube Video

Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:44 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2010, 01:44 PM #41 of 56
Quoted for truth. I've beaten Final Fantasy Tactics SEVERAL times (me being enough of a fanboy to do playthroughs limiting myself to a single class) and those Red Chocobos will rip you to shreds with Choco Meteor. This is especially ridiculous near the end game since random encounter monsters level with you. In most other games, monsters leveling with you doesn't pose too much of a problem, but in this game, it'll rape you.

Of course, on the topic of FFT, let us not forget the notorious 11 Monk battle at Grog Hill which, if you're the unlucky sap that has to pass through that point before getting Orlandu, effectively says "Go back to your last save."
I always ended up using mass Frog with the Math skill. Kinda wipes out the enemy force nice and easy...

They need more games like FFT...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jun 9, 2010, 04:17 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2010, 03:17 PM #42 of 56
I'm stuck on the FFT fight vs. Wiegraf. I can sometimes take him out (assuming i can ever actually hit him), but then the game goes "no, wait, now try beating this thing and all of its friends." I'm almost 10 levels above the enemies in the battle prior to the fight, but i just can't win.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2010, 04:28 PM #43 of 56
I'm stuck on the FFT fight vs. Wiegraf. I can sometimes take him out (assuming i can ever actually hit him), but then the game goes "no, wait, now try beating this thing and all of its friends." I'm almost 10 levels above the enemies in the battle prior to the fight, but i just can't win.
As I said earlier in the thread, Lancer jumping makes Wiegraf's human form pretty easy. Well, that and Auto-Potion of course. Velius is a whole other story, though. My strategies for it usually involve lots of chemists, Agrias, and a dual-wielding knight. If you've got a lot of Softs on hand then you may be better off silencing him to get rid of Cyclops and just deal with the petrification.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:12 PM #44 of 56
What class is your main character?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:04 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2010, 07:04 PM #45 of 56
if i remember correctly, he's his original class (because it could equip the best stuff) with double sword. I can take out Wiegraf in 2 or 3 hits, but a hit chance of 60% just isn't cutting it.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:07 PM #46 of 56
if i remember correctly, he's his original class (because it could equip the best stuff) with double sword. I can take out Wiegraf in 2 or 3 hits, but a hit chance of 60% just isn't cutting it.
So he's a Squire? Thats a really underrated class - thought it only comes to fruition on the last three or four levels. (I think thats the one where you can learn that spell from the Chaos Demons?)

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:17 PM #47 of 56
Are you doing the battle where it starts off with just Ramza vs. Weigraf? IIRC the trick to beating him is using the Squire ability that increases your speed, and just do it like 30 times until you're getting 5+ turns in a row, then just wail on him.

I'm assuming LeHah's referring to picking up Ultima off the demons, but from what I remember Ultima isn't super hot in FFT. Again, if I remember correctly Ramza's Squire class has a new ability unlock with every story Chapter, and I think when you hit Chapter 4 you get a really good ability, but I can't remember what it is. Been a loooong time.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:24 PM #48 of 56
IIRC the trick to beating him is using the Squire ability that increases your speed, and just do it like 30 times until you're getting 5+ turns in a row, then just wail on him.
I also remember using Throw Stone a lot as a squire when trying to "Yell" up my team but I doubt this fight would allow that.

I'm assuming LeHah's referring to picking up Ultima off the demons, but from what I remember Ultima isn't super hot in FFT.
Yeah, that was it. I started typing "Chaos" but then rememered that was the name of the demons. Ultima was pretty good but the trick of it is that it would've been better if you learned it before the end of the game.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:49 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2010, 09:49 PM #49 of 56
I also remember using Throw Stone a lot as a squire when trying to "Yell" up my team but I doubt this fight would allow that.
Sure it does, and it's the easiest and most consistent way of beating it during an LLG too. (That or the Hamedo thing)

If you move away and do the move, after a few back and forths you'll start getting the occasional double turn and it just balloons from there. And the speed bonus carries through to the second half and it makes it completely trivial. It is the perfect cop-out tactic if you can't beat it legit since Yell doesn't take much in the way of squire JP either. And if you're still struggling for some god awful reason you can just use Accumulate a few times in between there and really wreck shop.

Additional Spam:
and I think when you hit Chapter 4 you get a really good ability, but I can't remember what it is. Been a loooong time.
Scream. Self buff Brave, Speed, Attack and Magic.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:22 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2010, 10:22 AM #50 of 56
Additional Spam:

No, the guy in the drydocked boat only told you about the four islands and gave you a lucky rabbit's foot if you clicked where it sat on his table. The rabbit's foot was used soon after for getting past the sense gnomes. But even if you didn't have it, the book allowed you to teleport out of that trap so you could find the solution.

I've never run across anything that absolutely spoiled KQ6, though missing certain things did divert you into the lesser ending. You had to make it rain on the secret island if you wished to progress to the best ending and that took a decent bit of preparation.
I honestly think that if there is any game/ are any series of games that should be excluded from this topic, if not marked by a sort of determining asterisk, is/are King's Quest. In my opinion, the entire structure of these games was based on seeking out and accomplishing every possible angle, which included collecting every item and interacting with (almost) every character in the game at least once. And more often than not this was the case on the first play through of the games. I think what Sierra was going for
was trying to make the most immersive, "thought-required" games of their respective times, with resounding success. The result of this in the first 4 games was the points system. The only way to get ALL the points and truly beat the game was to pick up every neccessary item, and perform every neccessary task, almost always in a certain sequence. Annoying, yes, but it also made for some of the best replay value of all time .

Oh and let me just add: Thank god for the walkthrough books, without which KQ3 would be competely unbeatbable.

Cheers.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.