Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Repartitioning a laptop’s hard drive

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:29 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2010, 09:29 AM #1 of 5
Repartitioning a laptop’s hard drive

I’m going to buy a laptop pretty soon (it's an asus gaming laptop), and I have a question about partitioning the hard drive. Based on reviews on the laptop I want to buy, it seems like the hard drive (which is 320 GB), comes partitioned in half, so there are 2 different drives that are about 160 GB each. The OS is Windows 7 (64 bit) and the computer comes with a lot of bloatware installed. I want there to be a small OS partition (20-30 GB, or whatever you’d recommend for Windows 7), and a data partition.

Is it possible to rearrange the partitions so that there will be a 20-30 GB OS partition and a ~300 GB data partition? I know that when there are things already installed on the computer, it complicates partitioning (as opposed to partitioning immediately after installing the OS), so will it be safe to do this considering that there is a lot of bloatware on the computer? Some of the bloatware is essential (it gives you certain functions), so I’d rather not reformat.

But if the only way to do it is reformatting, how do I go about doing this if I don’t have a recovery disk or OS disk? In other words, how would I go about making a recovery disk? If I do reformat, would it install the OS like it was before (with all the bloatware), or would it just be a fresh installation of Windows 7? Which program would you recommend (if you’d recommend partition magic, then which version? I believe I have 8.0)?

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:05 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2010, 07:05 AM #2 of 5
Windows Vista and above can repartition live hard disks with just Disk Management (Start > run > diskmgmt.msc).

You just have to make sure there's a large contiguous block of free space. So installing a good defragmenter (Diskeeper, Perfectdisk) and defragmenting to maximize free space helps a lot.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:28 PM Local time: Oct 3, 2010, 04:28 PM #3 of 5
I'm not too sure about the specifics of this, but I heard that if you do it in Windows 7 through disk management, you have to convert the disk into a dynamic disk, and that's supposed to be bad? Any thoughts on this?

How ya doing, buddy?
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:07 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2010, 07:07 AM #4 of 5
If the Windows Disk Management requires converting the disk, then look into a 3rd party partition resizing tool such as Partition Magic (not free) or GParted (Linux tool, on most linux live cds, including one of its own).

How ya doing, buddy?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:29 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2010, 11:29 PM #5 of 5
I did this to my laptop when running Windows 7 Home Premium. The volume is still Basic.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Repartitioning a laptop’s hard drive