Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:57 PM #1 of 81
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

So who picked this up today?

I'm just about halfway through the first case and lovin' every minute of it. I probably won't take this game out of my DS for a while.

How ya doing, buddy?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:13 PM #2 of 81
I got it yesterday. I was immediately glad to see that some of the better features of past games were reinstated. The ability to rotate and inspect evidence was very interesting and lent a second layer of depth to the clues. They've also brought back some of the forensic skills that were required in the bonus case from the first game - with some new ones, like plaster-casting.

New to the game is the ability to send the testimony into slow-motion and reveal the defendant's deceptions not by contradictory evidence but by telltale signals. For example, a witness in the first case always places one of her hands in a specific location when she's covering up the full truth. I've yet to see how deep this mechanic is but it sounds quite ingenious and more relevant to the game's identity than picking "psyche locks" with help from a mystical stone.

It also appears as though several popular characters will make appearances. Phoenix is looking a lot...calmer, that's for sure. And Prosecutor Payne's hair has become even more idiotic.

I'm near the end of the first case and so far, it's all pretty good stuff.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:22 PM #3 of 81
I still haven't gotten around to starting PW3, so it'll be awhile before I buy this one.

If it wasn't for the stories connecting and so many people calling PW3 the best game of the first three then it would be tempting to skip straight to Apollo Justice. The addition of the forensic tools from the first game's extra case and not having to deal with Maya as an assistant make this one quite appealing. Crash's mention of watching for non-verbal clues during witness testimonies only makes me further wish I could skip to this one.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:27 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 06:27 PM #4 of 81
I stopped partway in to PW2. The characters & localization made me shudder; plus there were tons and tons of plot holes (flaws in the cases, etc). I must say that the clown character was painful to sit through...

Did PW3 improve? PW1 was awesome because it did things so darn well. Plus the item inspection in the final chapter was an AWESOME thing to see. Glad to see it is a regular feature in Apollo Justice.

Should I skip past PW2 & 3 and head right in to this? Is PW2 about the norm for PW3? 'Cuz that's disappointing if so...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:35 PM #5 of 81
I loved the Wright Trilogy so Apollo Justice's is definately a keeper. The OST for Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Apollo Justice) definately took a huge turn.

Toshihiko Horiyama - Composer of the Megaman X series, did most of the tracks and perfected the court themes very well.

Hideki Okugawa - responsible for the SFA series music. You'll notice .

Akemi Kimura - Sadly, she worked on just two remixed tracks from the trilogy games. Eccentric and the Magatama Psyche-Lock theme.

Gech : if you skip 2 and 3 of the Wright Trilogy, you'll regret it ;p.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:35 PM #6 of 81
...and not having to deal with Maya as an assistant make this one quite appealing.
Let's not assume too many things. Maya isn't your assistant but this doesn't mean you get off scott-free in that department. You're saddled with another girl named "Trucy" and she is evidently a magician's assistant of some type. One can only hope she's not as annoying as Maya but I wouldn't hold much breath.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:37 PM #7 of 81
Gech, you should push through PW2 for the last case. Case #2 was painful and #3 had a few annoying characters, but the last one was great.

Originally Posted by Crash Landon
Let's not assume too many things. Maya isn't your assistant but this doesn't mean you get off scott-free in that department. You're saddled with another girl named "Trucy" and she is evidently a magician's assistant of some type. One can only hope she's not as annoying as Maya but I wouldn't hold much breath.
Oh, I was under the impression that Science Girl made a return as your assistant, and I actually liked her. I've been avoiding reading too many details about it since I haven't played PW3 yet.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; Feb 20, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:46 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 05:46 PM #8 of 81
Gech, you should push through PW2 for the last case. Case #2 was painful and #3 had a few annoying characters, but the last one was great.
Seconding this. The translation isn't horrible, it's just the character and that specific case that's off the mark. The last one is fantastic though.

Quote:
Oh, I was under the impression that Science Girl made a return as your assistant, and I actually liked her. I've been avoiding reading too many details about it since I haven't played PW3 yet.
Y'know, I think the series works better without 1-5. But that's just me. None of the new characters, minus the sheriff from there, were all that memorable anyway. (For better or worse, I guess.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
slayer25k
MIMIMIN!MIMIMIN!USAMIN!!

Member 9135

Level 22.15

Jun 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:48 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 12:48 AM #9 of 81
Mine's ordered and should arrive around next week. I can't wait to play it!

Quote:
Glad to see it is a regular feature in Apollo Justice.
So it really is? That sounds pretty nice - makes me feel much more excited now

Ah and Gechmir:
You should try playing the 3rd part - It's better than part II in every aspect.
It rounds up the whole Phoenix "Arc" and has a very neat and consistent storyline throughout the game.... in my opinion.

Most amazing jew boots

And to every Nana its prey...
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:01 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 06:01 PM #10 of 81
Did PW3 improve? PW1 was awesome because it did things so darn well. Plus the item inspection in the final chapter was an AWESOME thing to see. Glad to see it is a regular feature in Apollo Justice.

Should I skip past PW2 & 3 and head right in to this? Is PW2 about the norm for PW3? 'Cuz that's disappointing if so...
PW2 is generally considered the low point of the series, but the final case is pretty good. I'd recommend at least speeding through the rest of the game, using a FAQ at the first sign of trouble. Opinions vary on whether PW1 or PW3 is better.

I'll pick this up sooner or later (with Professor Layton as well), but I've got enough portable games to play at the moment.

How ya doing, buddy?

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Last edited by StarmanDX; Feb 20, 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:03 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 07:03 PM #11 of 81
Sounds fair. I bought #2 and stopped partway in. Guess I'll dig out the game and use a faq to dart to the final case.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:25 PM #12 of 81
Spoiler?:
I believe she returns as the Gumshoe of this series this time around.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:38 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2008, 06:38 PM #13 of 81
SHIT! This is out now? I haven't even bought PW3 yet. I was trying not to spend a lot of money too, but now I need to catch up.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:40 PM #14 of 81
Well, they just dropped PW3 to 20 bux recently, so if any of you haven't picked it up, bargain price would be a good time to get it at.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:57 PM #15 of 81
Just got my copy. It was prepaid for my Valentine's gift. I finished all of the PW series as soon as they came out (even imported, they rock for having english subs!) and I'll finish this up soon as I finish reading my Powers books. xD From what I saw on the demo at Capcom, it looks just as gorgeous, clean and awesome gameplay.

on the first case:
Phoenix must be abusing that magatama at the poker games! xD At least I think so. Now I'll play this game to find out if that's the case or not.

FELIPE NO
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:14 PM #16 of 81
Finished 3 last night and got 4 this morning. Making headway through the first case but Im somewhat stumped on one of the testamonies.

As PW series, it is recommended that you play 3. 3 is a very good conclusion to phoenix's arc.

Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:05 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 01:05 PM #17 of 81
Ordered my copy from Capcom the other day (don't know if that was the smartest thing, since I've heard bad things about their online store, but I wanted the preorder bonus (as crappy as it is) and I was too late to get it from Gamestop), so I should be getting it soon. No rush though, since I'm still playing through PW3 at the moment (in the middle of the third case).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:50 PM #18 of 81
I'll probably be picking up this game sometime soon. I was skeptical about changing the character, since I liked Phoenix Wright, but it sounds like it's a pretty good game and it really takes advantage of the touch screen, and less psychic stuff.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:09 PM #19 of 81
I'm playing through the first case, and I have to say--I love having the extra evidence stuff back. I mean, the last case from the first game introduced things like fingerprinting and all that--it was a nice addition, and I'm glad to see it again.

Also, the music is quite refreshing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:33 PM #20 of 81
I'm playing through the first case, and I have to say--I love having the extra evidence stuff back. I mean, the last case from the first game introduced things like fingerprinting and all that--it was a nice addition, and I'm glad to see it again.

Also, the music is quite refreshing.
Yeah it was sorta cool how they brought back things like the 3D evidence examination. Was wondering what happened to that stuff since PW1C5. However even without it, the story was done well in the preceding games.

Also the music is great the new trial music seems more serious and a bit more urgent.

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:41 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 03:41 PM #21 of 81
The problem some people have with 2&3's localization was that the translations weren't done by the same person who did 1 and AJ. Rather, the translators were trying to mimic his style so some spots just ended up coming out rather weird.

The quality checking on them wasn't as good as 1 and AJ either.

I enjoyed playing this in Japanese, so now I'll see how well Alex did the translation, after being away from the series for 2 and 3.

Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:16 PM #22 of 81
I haven't even bought 3 yet, although I love this series. I'm glad 3 dropped to 20 bucks, though. I should (finally) be able to pick it up soon.

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:17 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 04:17 PM #23 of 81
Was wondering what happened to that stuff since PW1C5.
PW1C5 was added onto the DS version, whereas 2 and 3 where straight ports of their GBA counterparts. I think Capcom wasn't confident enough in their sales to warrant adding another case onto either.

Most amazing jew boots

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:51 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 08:51 AM #24 of 81
Just finished the first case the other day and am about half-way through the second. Apollo Justice's first case is probably my second favourite of all the first cases, second only to 3's. I like how they made Phoenix a serious badass and stuff.

Spoiler:
Too bad Kristoph couldn't stick around. He was cool.

All the characters so far have been awesome, especially Ema Skye. The snack time thing was amusing. Also, I think Trucy's better than Maya. Still a bit too bubbly for me, though. And yeah, the music is kinda refreshing. I don't think it's as catchy as some of the stuff from 1 & 3, but it's pretty damn solid. Klavier's theme is pretty rockin' for the DS.

Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:34 PM #25 of 81
PW1C5 was added onto the DS version, whereas 2 and 3 where straight ports of their GBA counterparts. I think Capcom wasn't confident enough in their sales to warrant adding another case onto either.
Oh I just read the wikipedia hah. Well either way I still liked the whole series altogether and it made me pretty excited for Apollo Justice.

Its a shame.. I really really wanted to see Franziska versus Oldbag over the course of Justice for All lol. Out of all the games, I think its true with what most people say with Justice for All being the bottom feeder of the series.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney