Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Attention] Forum Rules

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Mar 1, 2006, 11:29 PM #1 of 100
Exclamation Forum Rules

Important: Please read before posting

Before posting anywhere in this forum, you must read and follow the rules listed below.

GGMD (General Game Music Discussion) Rules:
  1. Do not create a thread requesting music files.
    This is what the Audio Requests forum is for. You can also find a ton of music here or here.

2. Before requesting VGM information ...
    ... run a search and check the links below. Creating a thread requesting composer or tracklist info is allowed, but should be considered a last resort.

3. Do not create a thread requesting sheet music.
    This is what The Musician's Library is for.

4. Do not create a thread about non-VGM-related music.
    This is what Media Centre is for, among other forums.

5. Do not create a thread about a new game rip you just made.
    This is what My Stuff is for. However, as always, you may advertise the rip in your signature.

6. If you are ever in doubt, you may ask a question in this thread.
    You may also simply create a thread here in GGMD, and we will correct things if there is a problem.

7. Use the Category system.
    The categories are pretty self-explanatory, but let's have a rundown anyway.

For, hum, VGM related News. X compose will compose Y upcoming game. Z album to be released on ... etc ...

Basically is for anything that used to belong to album comment. News threads about upcoming albums can turn into Album comment ones if people actually start discussing the music in it when it's released.

For what used to belong to the Request VGM Info sticky thread and anything else that, well, request something. Requests for files still belong to the Audio Request forum.

Anything Song of the Week related.

Information resources:

Recommended game music stores:

Music review sites:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 16, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:10 PM #2 of 100
Yaiyas first question.

Who composed the music to Sonic Shuffle? That stuff is addictive

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:05 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:05 AM #3 of 100
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Yaiyas first question.

Who composed the music to Sonic Shuffle? That stuff is addictive
I did a Google search because I thought I read this somewhere before. Holy shit, it's Yoshitaka Hirota! Apparently he did the Bomberman 64 games too. Neat!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:15 PM #4 of 100
I asked it before the crash and noone answered.

OMFG He's the guy that did Bomberman 64. Respect +1

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Mar 6, 2006 at 02:24 PM.
bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:56 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 02:56 PM #5 of 100
are there any good, reliable sites that review game/anime/film soundtracks? i'd to read what the music is about before i buy/download it.

thanks

I was speaking idiomatically.
SunkistTheHedge
Good Chocobo

Member 624

Level 18.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:00 PM #6 of 100
Daytona 2

Does anyone know who sings the vocals for these songs ?

Skyscraper Sequence
Sling Shot
I Can Do It
Palm Rock Valley

Really be greatful ^-^

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:11 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:11 PM #7 of 100
Originally Posted by bighunt
are there any good, reliable sites that review game/anime/film soundtracks? i'd to read what the music is about before i buy/download it.

thanks
Soundtrack Central, Chudah's Corner, and RPGFan are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I've used each of them in the past.

FELIPE NO
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:54 AM #8 of 100
Not to self-advertise, but SquareSound has a large selection of reviews here that is expanding as the site moves towards covering more and more non-mainstream work. They tend to be longer than most reviews, though generally provide a lot of detail about an album.

If mods feel this is inappropriate, please delete it, but I've considered SS to be one of the leading gamed music review sites since its redesign, despite being somewhat more limited in overall coverage.

Like Kaleb, I highly recommend Chudah's Corner, too, my principle game music review source for the somewhat rarer soundtracks.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:00 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 05:00 PM #9 of 100
That post is perfectly fine, Mr. Maul. I just never recalled reading any reviews on SquareSound before, so I didn't think about it.

I'll go ahead and add a small list of review sites in the first post of this thread.

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:27 PM #10 of 100
I ran across a copy of "Space Ace" for the Sega CD at the local thrift store, and I was wondering if it has Redbook tracks that might be rippable. I remember that there used to be a list of Redbook discs around GFF, but the crash has scoured it from the earth, yea, as if it never was.

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:00 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:00 PM #11 of 100
I want to find a way to attract people to this thread so that we can get answers for the questions posted here. SunkistTheHedge and orion_mk3 are still looking for information, but I can't help them. This thread requires that we get people in here to help out. It worked before the crash, so it shouldn't be any different now. I await any responses.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:12 PM #12 of 100
Originally Posted by SunkistTheHedge
Does anyone know who sings the vocals for these songs ?

Skyscraper Sequence
Sling Shot
I Can Do It
Palm Rock Valley
According to http://www.bannister.org/ubb/ultimat...;f=23;t=001004, the English singer of Skyscraper Sequence, Sling Shot, and I Can Do It is Dennis St. James, and the Japanese singer is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. That page doesn't say anything about the singer of Palm Rock Valley, but I'd assume it'd have the same vocalist.

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I ran across a copy of "Space Ace" for the Sega CD at the local thrift store, and I was wondering if it has Redbook tracks that might be rippable. I remember that there used to be a list of Redbook discs around GFF, but the crash has scoured it from the earth, yea, as if it never was.
Google has a cache for the Red Book list, but it's from 2004.

mrman1 maintained that list, so you could contact him and see if he saved a copy.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:48 AM #13 of 100
Originally Posted by CHz
Google has a cache for the Red Book list, but it's from 2004.

mrman1 maintained that list, so you could contact him and see if he saved a copy.
Well, since there are comparable titles on that list, I can assume that "Space Ace" isn't one of them. But that might be a good thread to revive; even the 2004 list is extensive.

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:19 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 12:19 PM #14 of 100
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
I did a Google search because I thought I read this somewhere before. Holy shit, it's Yoshitaka Hirota! Apparently he did the Bomberman 64 games too. Neat!
Interesting Kaleb G.

I'm getting two separate composers to both Bomberman 64 games .

Bomberman 64 - Akifumi Tada Here and here. It also lists him as the composer if you download the OST.

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack: Yasunori Mitsuda Here

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:49 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 11:49 PM #15 of 100
You're right, Synthesis. I'm not sure why SquareSound credits Hirota for those two games. Mr. Maul, are you able to shed some light on this?

FELIPE NO
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:40 PM #16 of 100
I did a pile of research on Yoshitaka Hirota a while ago from the friends section on Mitsuda's web site and Hirota's personal web site with the help of Kago, SquareSound's disappeared translator. Bomberman 64, Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, Faselei, Dive Alert: Becky's Version, Dive Alert: Matt's Version, and Sonic Shuffle all ended up being accredited to his name, when I only thought he did the Shadow Hearts series and SFX originally. SquareSound's interview with him explicitly mentions Bomberman 64 and he talks about it inspiring Shadow Hearts' music. I think this is the only English confirmation of this, but SquareSound's translator did confirm this.

However, somewhere down the line, it's possible there was a misunderstanding and perhaps he didn't work explcitly as a composer in the actual original Bomberman 64, but perhaps as an engineer or SFX creation. I find it odd that Hirota didn't refute the implication that he did, but, then again, it's equally odd he didn't appear alongside Akifumi Tada on the actual album release. I suspect that Mitsuda's involvement in The Second Attack was down to Hirota and that they co-composed here, and also believe Hirota had a musical role in Bomberman 64 itself, likely a composing one, but perhaps something different.

Don't be baffled that SquareSound is the only place with such info, though, as there was no decent source for Hirota info before that research was done. I'll talk to Zanasea about this and see if he can shed light on the situation. If this doesn't work, I'll try to get some Japanese dude to email Hirota direct, who is usually very happy to receive feedback. I think it is quite likely he'll verify SS' information, but it's possible it's wrong, and indeed it is rather odd.

EDIT: OK, with the help of Zanasea, it's been verified that Hirota did co-composer Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, though there was no specific mention of him working on Bomberman 64 itself on Yasunori Mitsuda's friends page (couldn't read the flash Kanji at Hirota's own web site). So, for now, we'll just say he composed for Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, though it is quite possible that Bomberman 64 also involved him. Thanks for bringing this up; it needed clarifying and has been bothering me for some time.

Last edited by Mr. X; Mar 21, 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 09:11 PM #17 of 100
Does Kaleb run and operate the Video Game Music Composers website in the mian post? If he does, can we add Shinobu Tanaka as composing the music for Mario Kart DS?

Link. (this is a Google cache)

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 11:56 PM #18 of 100
Allright. Now I have a question. I'm making a Gamerip of an old classic, "NBA JAM + Tournament Edition" for the Sega Genesis. Problem is, I can't seem to solidify who the composer was for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I came across a site that suggest a man named Tyler Bacon composed the music for the original NBA JAM Check it

Thanks in advance.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 10:20 PM #19 of 100
I have a quick question about the 4CD set of Digital Devil Saga. I found the following CD online and it lists an outro theme that is not listed on the track listing to the album linked above. Just wondering if anyone knows why it's not on the set? Or is it, but under a different name? Saw the set listed as being complete somewhere recently...

How ya doing, buddy?
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:22 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 06:22 PM #20 of 100
Tomb Raider Legend Soundtrack

I want to know :

-Who composer game?
-is there plan to release OST?

I hear music on some clip gameplay,most of them have soft choir,is completely different than previous tomb raider games music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 05:05 PM #21 of 100
According to the link below, Troels Folmann...

http://www.cmpevents.com/GD06/a.asp?...&V=3&id=409736

Never heard of him myself!

watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 01:22 PM #22 of 100
I figured it's been long enough that I don't have to have my head bitten off.. but is the Best Battle Track comp still in the works?

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:25 PM #23 of 100
Originally Posted by watkinzez
I figured it's been long enough that I don't have to have my head bitten off.. but is the Best Battle Track comp still in the works?
I'm not sure. Skate attempted to start the "second try" of the battle track contest not long before the crash, but conflicts with Song of the Year put it on hold. Furthermore, since the crash happened, I haven't even heard much from Skate. The only way you'll find out the status is from him direct. But don't bother contacting him. He's a busy man, and as the past has shown, he'll come back here and let us all know when he's ready.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Blue_Kirby2
Does Kaleb run and operate the Video Game Music Composers website in the mian post? If he does, can we add Shinobu Tanaka as composing the music for Mario Kart DS?

Link. (this is a Google cache)
Yes, I do. And you're the first person to request adding anything to it. I'll make that update right away.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Mar 27, 2006 at 01:11 AM.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:48 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 11:48 PM #24 of 100
Originally Posted by Synthesis
Allright. Now I have a question. I'm making a Gamerip of an old classic, "NBA JAM + Tournament Edition" for the Sega Genesis. Problem is, I can't seem to solidify who the composer was for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I still can't find anything. Any luck with anyone else?

_DH_
JAZZIN'

Member 130

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:32 PM #25 of 100
According to this, the TE arcade version's music and sound was by Jon Hey (JWH). Don't know if it's the same as the Genesis version but it's a start. You can compare the music from the mame and genesis roms if you really want to know if they're the same.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [Attention] Forum Rules