Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Games we remember being the best

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 06:29 PM #26 of 52
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
My all time favorite PC games are easily Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and StarCraft.
Playing back and forth between HoMM II and HoMM III, I have ome to the conclusion that HoMM II is better. While it lacks the number of features and beasts you can recruit, it has a better animation style (not necesarily higher quality though), better music and a better atmosphere. It was before 3DO started to meddle with the magic of best the turn based strategy RPG that I've ever played.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:09 PM #27 of 52
It's a tough call, and they both have their merits. Heroes 2 has noticeably better atmosphere, while Heroes 3 has noticeably improved gameplay. I disliked HoMM 3 at first, but grew to like it more because of all its gameplay enhancements.

On the other hand, I agree that Heroes 2 remains the pinnacle of the series as it introduced many of the key concepts, while Heroes 3 only improved on it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:13 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 07:13 PM #28 of 52
The main reason that's so is beacause New World Computing was still not controlled by the now dead 3DO. Just adding features doesn't make a better sequel, how those features are applied is what does the job (Diablo II being an example of good improvements). HoMM III lacks a some of the heart NWC put into the 2nd game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:27 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:27 PM #29 of 52
Heroes 3 definitely takes a more serious tone, and it's clear from playing the beta that Nival is trying to bring back the tone of HoMM 2 into the latest game.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:37 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 07:37 PM #30 of 52
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
Heroes 3 definitely takes a more serious tone, and it's clear from playing the beta that Nival is trying to bring back the tone of HoMM 2 into the latest game.
That's great news considering I heard every Might and Magic and HoMM game after HoMM 3 sucked.

How ya doing, buddy?
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:32 PM #31 of 52
I can't get any of them to work on my computer but I have played them on freinds computers and though they were pretty good. (Maybe my computer is just really shitty)

Most amazing jew boots
Sweeper
Carob Nut

Member 735

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:42 PM #32 of 52
Warcraft II was pretty awesome since it was the first stratedgy game i ever played... Then Red Alert C&C took the place of the best stratedgy game for its time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:46 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:46 PM #33 of 52
1) Shining Force Series. I wanna see them on a fairly-modern system. Last was on Saturn (NEO is *not* Shining Force >__<). Plus 3D would be spiffy.
2) Deus Ex. Really. I wanna see it with souped up graphics and gameplay.
3) System Shock 2. See above reasoning =p
4) Xenogears. Would never happen, but it'd be nice to see it remade graphically and the final disc tweaked storyline-wise.
5) More that I cannot think of.

Games I remember the best? Armored Core 1-3 + Silent Line. I rented Nexus and was horribly, horribly let down. Going to rent Nine Breaker but I hear more praise for Nexus... -__- Revolution CD was a nice treat though. Old-school.

Thief I-III were fantastic. I played III first, struggled through I, and tromped into II. II made me mad because the movies stopped working halfway through. I thought I was in a storyline drought. Once I found out about the problem, I was too far into the game. Found a script later on of the story but it left me empty, still... ;(

Shadow of the Colossus is probably the best game I can imagine ever playing. The genius, cinematic-like approach to it makes it a supreme experience. That, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Half-Life I & II will go down as my favorite games of all time. But they need not be remade

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:49 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:49 PM #34 of 52
Originally Posted by Sweeper
Warcraft II was pretty awesome since it was the first stratedgy game i ever played... Then Red Alert C&C took the place of the best stratedgy game for its time.
WarCraft II: the reason I began to love PC games. That's when I became a console/PC gamer hybrid, the best of both worlds. WarCraft II for me was only eclipsed by StarCraft.

How ya doing, buddy?
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:21 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:51 PM #35 of 52
There are too many too list. I've enjoyed many games on the PC and saying that only one was the best would be a lie. So I've listed a couple that have really stuck with me and would not mind playing again.

Doom
This was the PC game that started it all for me. I just loved the simple gameplay involved where the whole objective was to find the 'exit' and progress to the next level, with hoards of shit to blast on the way.

Deus Ex
Another FPS with RPG elements thrown in. Too bad that the sequel was a load of rubbish.

Warcraft II
Many hours wasted on this and then I had my first taste of multiplayer gaming with it. Of course it was only 2 players at once since we were still using dail-up modems with internet access still $$$ away.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:11 AM #36 of 52
Originally Posted by Gechmir
1)
Thief I-III were fantastic. I played III first, struggled through I, and tromped into II. II made me mad because the movies stopped working halfway through. I thought I was in a storyline drought. Once I found out about the problem, I was too far into the game. Found a script later on of the story but it left me empty, still... ;(
Thats too bad. personally I hated thief III because it was untrue to the first 2 which were much better. (or maybe I just like the old ones better?)

Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:07 PM #37 of 52
If console gamer are allowed too, i'd have to add FF7. Yes I know kinda cliched since so many people have that game as favorite but still I really like it, even after all these years and times i've completed the game.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Echolyn; Mar 6, 2006 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Forgot ma color..
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:26 PM #38 of 52
Originally Posted by Echolyn
If console gamer are allowed too, i'd have to add FF7. Yes I know kinda cliched since so many people have that game as favorite but still I really like it, even after all these years and times i've completed the game.
Actually FFVII was made as PC game, but I've never tried that version before.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:31 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:31 PM #39 of 52
That's the version I'm still playing as my stupid ps2 doesn't like psx games (and most ps2 games) It's pretty good with the sound mod so you have the original sounds/music and it does have somewhat better graphics than the psx version still looks like shit compared to todays games.

FELIPE NO
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:33 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:33 PM #40 of 52
Originally Posted by Echolyn
That's the version I'm still playing as my stupid ps2 doesn't like psx games (and most ps2 games) It's pretty good with the sound mod so you have the original sounds/music and it does have somewhat better graphics than the psx version still looks like shit compared to todays games.
As long as you disable fast disc loading on your PS2, you should have no problems playing FFVII (I never have, except enabling fast disc loading will freeze the game).

Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:55 PM #41 of 52
It just won't read them period, doesn't matter what I do and it does it with ps2 discs too, so my PS2 is just fubar'ed. ;_;

Maybe I'll buy a chipped ps2 in the future, I'll need one anyway for FFXII.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:27 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:27 PM #42 of 52
Has anyone here tried Dugeo Keeper? It's a good combination between an RTS/RPG and an fps (for some levels). It's really unique and has a great sadistic style (you can tourture or slap your minions to death).

Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:59 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:59 AM #43 of 52
Yeah played both Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 they were both great, build your own Dungeon make some badguys and then slaughter those goodguys..

You could build a pit and every now and then you would see a creep crawling out of it ready to serve you. You could torture both your own minions and the captured goodguys hehe. Yeah that was pretty cool!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:36 PM #44 of 52
I miss the days when RTS games were king (caused by the sucess of WarCraft II and Command & Conquer). Sure many of the releases were mediocre at best, but the stampede ensured that some RTS games were original and great.

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:12 PM #45 of 52
Wait, what's this PS2 "fast disc load" I'm hearing about? Can someone give me a full explanation of what happens with it on and off, and if any benefits towards the life of the console can be achieved from it?

Also, StarCraft (Brood War) is, as we've already determined, a great game. Since Blizzard has already lost too many original employees to be brave enough to make a sequel, I think they should port StarCraft: Brood War to the Revolution and integrate it into the Battle.net network (assuming Nintendo's voice-to-text software is going to be amazing, as a keyboard + RevMote combo might be a little awkward)

I was speaking idiomatically.
freaKperfume
The Glory of Arioch

Member 665

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 03:29 AM #46 of 52
There are many games I still remember and value highly after several years (I'd second the votes for Final Fantasy VII anytime, btw), but I'll only name one item now:

The Tex Murphy series. As detective adventures in a unique SciFi/Noir style, they have no equal in anything that's been released before or after them. They were among the first games to use video technology to the extent of being an interactive movie/adventure hybrid. Unfortunately, this also means that the quality of the in-game video is pretty horrendous compared to today's standards, which is why I would die for a modern remake or sequel.

With Microsoft owning the rights for more than 7 years now and refusing to produce a sequel (which the designers would LOVE to do), this will probably remain a dream, though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:55 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:55 PM #47 of 52
Originally Posted by neothe0ne
Wait, what's this PS2 "fast disc load" I'm hearing about? Can someone give me a full explanation of what happens with it on and off, and if any benefits towards the life of the console can be achieved from it?

Also, StarCraft (Brood War) is, as we've already determined, a great game. Since Blizzard has already lost too many original employees to be brave enough to make a sequel, I think they should port StarCraft: Brood War to the Revolution and integrate it into the Battle.net network (assuming Nintendo's voice-to-text software is going to be amazing, as a keyboard + RevMote combo might be a little awkward)
The fast disc load makes the PS1 CDs spin at 24x as opposed to the 2x? speeds the PS1 uses. While this can dramatically decrease load times, it also can lock games that require specific timings based on how long the original took to load a game.

FELIPE NO
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:33 AM #48 of 52
How could I have forgotten? Before Worms and all that, there was Scorched Earth. Back in the old DOS and Windows 3.1 days there was the occasional school computer that had this game on there, and we all loved it. Bringing that back would be great. I wonder if anyone was ever crazy enough to play through all the max number of rounds, 1,000? I figured only some guy assigned to a space station in orbit or a lab in Antarctica all by himself for some very extended period would do something like that to pass the time.

(Death by Death's Head!!!)

ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:55 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 05:55 PM #49 of 52
Yeah, that game kicked ass. Fans have remade the game in 3D, it plays pretty good and online with stats and all to fight about
http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

How ya doing, buddy?

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Breakable
Meh

Member 1100

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:47 PM #50 of 52
World of Xeen *Sighs*
What an amazing Game.
You first bought Clouds of Xeen, which had an incredible intro, great music and was very easy to play. You admired the new engine and graphics, compared to Isles of Terra and how cool the new monsters and spells looked (The gloomy, orange sky seriously helped give this game atmosphare, it was so *out there*).

Then later you got Darkside of Xeen, installed them both and gasped at the sheer size of the world, the amount of monsters, quests, spells and great storyline.

I miss those days :/

Ultima 7/2.
I read about the game in a magazine and when they explained how many screens the first town was, I *knew* I had to get it!
Then they told about the spells, about the intricate story, the lifelike behaviour of the citizens, inclusive working, going to the pub and at nights into bed and I think I had a little orgasm right there.

I bought the game as soon as possible, not even waiting for localisation, and spend NIGHTS playing through it.
Heck, I remember sitting for a few hours in Moonshadow, simply watching the NPCs going about their lifes, and I seriously mourned as the banes slaughtered everyone.
This was a game for the ages!

I so wish they would remake it, in a current day engine.. or heck, give us another WELL done part!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Games we remember being the best