Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)

LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:49 PM 1 #326 of 397
Guys. Has it ever occurred to you that, while your gripes and complaints about how a certain movie is made may or may not be warranted, you guys just happen to over-analyze every single thing to the point where you no longer enjoy a simple popcorn movie?
NO DUMBASS because liberal college fags will talk about this movie nonstop at the local starbucks, those stupid ASSHOLES, I wish they'd stop pushing their farcical "intelligence" into my face!!! If you don't expect every fucking movie EVER to feature the best damn writing you have ever seen then you are simply letting ignorance grab society and choke it by the throat

In other news, I found a screenshot of the next Batman villain, I'm kind of excited.

Spoiler:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:53 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 07:53 PM #327 of 397
...you are simply letting ignorance grab society and choke it by the throat
Well, not before I ram my massive meathammer down society's throat, you puckered-tight conservative asshole.

This conversation is going the right way, right?

FELIPE NO
LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:55 PM 1 #328 of 397
hell yes baby

EDIT: to make this not a worthless post, I thought it was a good movie. Certainly should please Batman fans who have just been fucked in the ass by previous films.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:06 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:06 PM #329 of 397
LZ, I don't think every movie will be the best movie ever made. I don't think every movie will have a perfect script. I just wish it would. If you're cool with things sucking, that's your problem.

And Beaner, the fact you put Transformers up as the opposing force shows that you missed the point. It's not that one isn't better than the other, it's that they could be SO MUCH BETTER.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:19 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:19 PM #330 of 397
No, I got that too... But at what point are we willing to sacrifice what little redeeming qualities they have in order to bitch and moan about all the shit that went wrong?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:36 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:36 PM #331 of 397
It's not bitching and moaning, it's being critical. And it's not exactly a character trait to be shameful of.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:48 PM #332 of 397
Continuing with what Encephalon said - Is it possible that filmmakers sometimes simply create a fantasy in which the characters and events are to be taken at face value and not over-analyzed? I'm not saying that's the case with TDK, I just wonder if you critique every movie as if it has messages that the writer/director was trying to subtly communicate when it's quite possible that he/she did not mean to "say" anything but instead just wanted to make an entertaining flick.

How ya doing, buddy?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Jul 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:54 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:54 PM #333 of 397
It's not a matter of over-analyzing, it's a matter of analyzing. Critical thought is not pretentious, it's just underused.

And I'm sure there's people who set out to just make a flick for the sake of making a flick. But setting out to create something purely entertaining still requires you to have a plot, or a message. Something. Or else the movie just collapses into itself like so much boneless Orson Welles.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:00 PM #334 of 397
Red face IT'S A VERY NICE MOVIE

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:05 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 10:05 PM #335 of 397
Right, and that draws this conversation to a close.

FELIPE NO

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:57 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 01:57 AM #336 of 397
I'm not saying I'm happy it's going to break Box Office records everywhere.
Considering that the last movie to hold most of those records was fucking Spider-Man 3, I'd say lesser of two evils should come into play.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:21 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 02:21 AM #337 of 397
Considering that the last movie to hold most of those records was fucking Spider-Man 3, I'd say lesser of two evils should come into play.
Touche.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:42 AM #338 of 397
So wait.

Enceph steps in to tell people to stop discussing the movie.

Then LZ comes in and fails at what the internet construes as farce or humor or something.

And this is the community we all signed up for? Yuck.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:43 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 03:43 AM #339 of 397
You know what? If this is about the most complicated thought you can process from this, we'll just go ahead and go with that.

I will seriously never understand why you subliminally hate this place so much and still remain here.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:56 AM #340 of 397
If this is about the most complicated thought you can process from this, we'll just go ahead and go with that.
Oh, so you only respond to the parts of a post you choose to. How clever.

I will seriously never understand why you subliminally hate this place so much and still remain here.
I cannot fathom why a staff member wants to kill a thread topic for absolutely no reason. You basically come off as someone's snot-nosed kid brother trying to butt in on a conversation between adults. If you're not going to fucking add anything to the pre-exisiting conversation, its okay to sit one out, rope-a-dope.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:15 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 12:15 PM #341 of 397
The Dark Knight (2008)

9.6 lol

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:21 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 05:21 AM #342 of 397
Rated higher than the Godfather. And a solid 1.0 above Dr. Strangelove.

Welcome to the bizarro world that is imdb ratings.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:30 AM #343 of 397
The whole idea of rating movies in relation to other movies is so logically bankrupt that I can't imagine why anyone would expect the results to be anything other than stupid. Is "Rear Window" better than "Psycho"? What does that even mean

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:36 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 05:36 AM #344 of 397
The whole idea of rating movies in relation to other movies is so logically bankrupt that I can't imagine why anyone would expect the results to be anything other than stupid. Is "Rear Window" better than "Psycho"? What does that even mean
It means people really like funny exit lines.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:47 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 12:47 PM #345 of 397
...crap like V For Vendetta (which is basically backhanded support of fascism)...

...Now, I'm all for intellectual comic book movies that fail in-so-far as they're earnest in the attempt (see - Hulk)...
Oh wow, just wow. I think you've just pushed your character over the line from comedy into farce with those two statements mate.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:49 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 12:49 PM #346 of 397

Well, honestly, I wouldn't care about the rating so much if it wasn't for the fact that there were already 70,000 votes (which is quite a lot). I mean, you often see new movies with a 9.x rating based on a couple of thousands of votes, and a few weeks later, the rating has dropped to 7 or 8. I don't see it happen to this movie.

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:50 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 12:50 PM #347 of 397
Rated higher than the Godfather. And a solid 1.0 above Dr. Strangelove.

Popular opinion; the eternal enemy of pompous Film Studies students.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:40 AM #348 of 397
Oh wow, just wow. I think you've just pushed your character over the line from comedy into farce with those two statements mate.
The Hulk, while it didn't get where it was going, was basically nothing more than a child neglect story.

V For Vendetta is literally "If you don't agree with us, you're not only wrong, you're also Hitler".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:56 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 01:56 PM #349 of 397
The Hulk, while it didn't get where it was going, was basically nothing more than a child neglect story.

V For Vendetta is literally "If you don't agree with us, you're not only wrong, you're also Hitler".
Ha ha ha, I see what you mean. I was a big fan of the V graphic novel before I saw the film so I guess knowing all the rest of the story that gets left out makes it slighty less in-your-face preachy. Also, living under our current government makes it seem a bit more relevant possibly. Also it's got Stephen Fry playing himself (For a change) which is always a good thing.

The Hulk, I always felt was punching rather above it's weight in terms of message delivery. The ending particulatly destroyed any credibility it might have had up to that point, they should have killed him and had a poignant, introspective end instead of that jungle bullshit.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:14 AM #350 of 397
Ha ha ha, I see what you mean. I was a big fan of the V graphic novel before I saw the film so I guess knowing all the rest of the story that gets left out makes it slighty less in-your-face preachy.
It's certainly a movie that is darned sure it has a message but can't even begin to figure out what it's supposed to be. It's one of those movies that idiots think is clever, like The Matrix. (As opposed to, say, Fight Club. Fight Club is a fairly smart movie ruined entirely by people, V is a fairly stupid movie treated the same way. I'd say there's still something to Fight Club; It's not the amazing meaning of life that every disaffected myspace user has been insisting for the past several years, but it does say something.)

V, though, is pretty far from subversive. Just the opposite, even -- it removes things from the comic to make it more appealing to general people... and all the stuff it adds are really really generic obvious modern jabs. The overwhelming sense you get from the comic is that it's just a 1984 pasthche - the overwhelming sense you get from the movie is that it's artistic cannibalism to remove points from the original plot to substitute whats popular to fight against in 2006.

"V.." was written as commentary against anti-gay politics in 1980s England. The movie still has all the stuff about the British government putting gays in concentration camps and the obvious message there -- but at the same time, V himself isn't gay in the movie, when he is a homosexual in the book.

If you want to be more exacting - why are you taking material that is rallying against the British Government by using a character in a Guy Fawkes mask, and then making it a movie about rallying against the Bush administration ... using a character in a Guy Fawkes mask? Shouldn't he be wearing a George Washington mask or something?

Originally Posted by Alan Moore 8/30/2006
"(The movie) has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives—which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England."
I think the movie is dated a lot more than the comic is, though, because lots of it comes off as clear attempts to glob modern commentary to a story where it doesn't belong and makes no sense. The comic has a taken-from-Orwell radio voice of authority who reports all the news - but the movie turns that into a Bill O'Reilly angry news commentator character. And they're part of the evil British fascist government and responsible for the concentration camps and such.

Way to be slick, Hollywood.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Jul 22, 2008 at 08:36 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)