Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Things from your culture you never do.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:36 AM #1 of 51
Things from your culture you never do.

So... Alot of people here are from different types of cultures and probably do something that relate to your culture to, just by normal, everyday actions.

But knowing society today, there's probably somethings about your culture that you never got accustom to doing, and probably never will unless it was the end of the world. So what don't you do that everyone one in your culture seems to be doing?

My parents came from the Philippines and introduced me to this method of wiping your ass with soap and a cup of water. For some reason when I was little, I never seemed to get it right, I'd have water flowing down my leg and make a big mess of the bathroom. I know that the majority of filipinos still in the Philippines do this, but I never got the hang of the here in the US... That's why I'm sticking to toilet paper.

So, what's your story?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 10:50 PM #2 of 51
I still refuse to eat "nopales". Being Mexican and saying you don't like nopales is like being a priest but REFUSE to digest the New Testament. It just doesn't fly with my people.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:56 AM #3 of 51
Wow, can't really top that one, but I think I have a better idea of my aunt's culture from your Philippines post. I follow some of the basic traits of American Indians (honor elders, listening, remain quiet, etc.), but some of the more important cultural beliefs I haven't been able to do. The Cherokee are mostly Christian, but some Cherokee do believe in Shamanism and I have yet to go on a vision quest (which is suppose to be done at age 13 according to a 1/2 Cherokee friend). I've been trying to see if I can contact my totem/power animal, but I don't have the drumming sounds or a quiet environment to be able to meditate longer than 15 minutes.

Another important ceremony involves blessing the ground ahead of time and the females perform "The Stomp Dance" and wear tear dresses. My family doesn't believe in the Cherokee traditions, so if I ever wanted to discover Cherokee traditions my best source would be to either bug the 1/2 Cherokee guy or look it up on the internet. I think there was also a rumor about a certain marriage ritual where the man gives the woman a ham and the woman gives the man a basket of corn, but that could be fabricated.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
FadedReality
I have no idea

Member 9655

Level 8.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:18 AM #4 of 51
Well, since I'm a straight up white bread, ancestors came from Europe and stole America, targeted advertising demographic kind of guy I'd have to say that I don't follow a good deal of my culture.

I'm not addicted to staring blankly at a television with no interaction or mental stimuli taking place, I don't order a quadruple stacker at burger king, I don't view sex, drugs and alcohol as taboo and thusly think I'm awesome for partaking in any of the three, I don't believe material possessions are the focus of my existence... what else... OH! I do see something wrong with a person with no children to drive around and no sort of loads to haul driving around a massive truck/suv. which apparently absolutely defies white "American" culture.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
daguuy
I am IronMan

Member 3545

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:05 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 08:05 PM #5 of 51
i don't wear shoes except when it's required. i just can't stand suffocating my feet like that. flip flops everywhere.

i also don't read books because that's just asking to be near-sighted. i don't understand how people allow themselves to stare at a bunch of tiny letters a few feet from their face for hours at a time. i get my brain exercise from videogames because those are good for you without the negative effects.

i also enjoy eating like a fatass when everybody else whatches their weight (yet i'm still 5'10" and 150lbs). i eat italian bread instead of white bread because it's so much better in every way.

i don't shower every day because my immune system needs exercise. that's why i never get sick and everybody else has allergies. it's been scientifically proven that too many showers greatly increases your chances of getting allergies.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gamboy64 says "AAAIIIIIEEEKKKK!!!!!!" go to DAGUUY.TK! click the pic!
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:15 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 08:15 PM #6 of 51
Originally Posted by daguuy
i also don't read books because that's just asking to be near-sighted. i don't understand how people allow themselves to stare at a bunch of tiny letters a few feet from their face for hours at a time. i get my brain exercise from videogames because those are good for you without the negative effects.
I really hope you're being ironic here.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:23 PM #7 of 51
A LOT of people from my culture tend to join these Polish youth clubs in which the people make arts and crafts, learn about the wilderness, and learn about Polish heritage and junk like that. Think of it as Polish boy-scouts and girl-scouts. My parents berade me for not going "Its fun! You should be out there with people like you." Considering how I don't find arts and crafts to be THAT enjoyable, I hate it with a passion.

Still, Polish people are cool to hang around with.

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:53 PM #8 of 51
Originally Posted by Chaotic
My parents came from the Philippines and introduced me to this method of wiping your ass with soap and a cup of water. For some reason when I was little, I never seemed to get it right, I'd have water flowing down my leg and make a big mess of the bathroom. I know that the majority of filipinos still in the Philippines do this, but I never got the hang of the here in the US... That's why I'm sticking to toilet paper.
Exactly the same thing with my parents and I which stopped when I was relatively young. I eventually thought that the "tabo" method was pretty gross, and then I realized what the roll of toilet paper on the wall was for.

On a more culinary note, my culture also seems to find it very strange to eat something by itself. Rice can't be by itself, chicken can't be by itself, vegetables not by themselves, etc. I'm fine and don't see why you have to always mix your food together, especially rice. I mean pilaf rice tastes fine by itself, and it shouldn't be shocking to sometimes eat white rice solo.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 07:58 PM #9 of 51
Originally Posted by Chaotic
[insert Chaotic's description of the Filipino way to wipe an ass here]
Wow.

I've never been taught that nor knew a majority of people in the Philippines did that. Holy crap. Holy, soapy and washed up crap on your leg.

Well, I don't know much of Tagalog, the Filipino language, at all. I've always meant to take classes in college, but I could never fit it in. Some time though, I definitely will.

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:25 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 07:25 PM #10 of 51
Originally Posted by nazpyro
Wow.

I've never been taught that nor knew a majority of people in the Philippines did that. Holy crap. Holy, soapy and washed up crap on your leg.

Well, I don't know much of Tagalog, the Filipino language, at all. I've always meant to take classes in college, but I could never fit it in. Some time though, I definitely will.
I'm still learning new words even if I'm able to speak the language well. Of course, I tend to only use it when visiting the country. If you understand the language, learning it is much easier. =p

Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:51 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 12:51 AM #11 of 51
Um, my family still looks at me funny when I remind them that I don't eat meat. It's like they've never heard of vegetarians.

"What? You don't eat meat? What about chicken?"

I don't know if it's just my family or the whole culture, but pretty much the consenses is that you should be able to eat anything and everything without limiting yourself (unless of course you have permanent dietary limitations). Even this girl at Ihop questioned me when I asked if a seemingly meatless burger had meat in it.

"What? You're a vegetarian? What's that? Oh. So no meat at all? Not even chicken? What do you eat then?"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:00 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 04:00 PM #12 of 51
Well, since I´m only now starting to get to know my culture, I notice I´m not obsessed with putting cream on just about everything I eat like my family here does. I also don´t litter and I like to walk on sidewalks, which it seems this entire fucking country avoids.

I remember in immigration jail the Polish people were known for not using toilet paper. They just washed their ass straight from the toilet water.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 08:32 PM #13 of 51
Being Chinese, German, Polish, Unknown, first generation American...

My way of life is extremely eclectic. My family is spread out all over the world, not to mention I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world, I have so much exposure to different religions, different beliefs, different societies, that is hard to follow a specific tradition. I derive a little from everything, but I follow nothing specifically.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 05:03 AM #14 of 51
I don't drink tea. It's a very British thing, and I can't stand it. That might not sound like much, but it always seems to surprise my friends, even though they've know about it for years.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:10 PM #15 of 51
Well, Chinese have very weird customs and habits. It even depends on which part of "Chinese" you look at if you include HK and Taiwan.

I guess the biggest thing I noticed was that I eat pizza by holding it. You'd think that's the right way right? Well seemingly, most Chinese (and Asians for that matter) who are born in Asia eat pizza with a fork and knife cutting it into small pieces. I just can't do that even if I try. Should've seen my cousin's reaction to me eating pizza. Same reaction you'd give someone if they were peeing in public.

Wearing slippers in the house? Okay, I admit I don't wear my shoes past the front door area. But I've never worn slippers in my house. Slippers are a huge deal too, my family won't let me walk around without slippers in their houses.

Talking really loudly in resturants. I'm more of the softer talker, especially in public. I'd rather the neighbours of our table not learn about me intimately because of my shouting. Ever go to a Chinese resturant? You'll experience the loud talking.

All I can think of at the moment.

FELIPE NO
[RIGHT]
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:54 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 08:54 PM #16 of 51
I don't eat at the dinner table. I just don't.

Its not that I'm trying to be rude, but I have this thing where, unless I'm out at a resturant where its unavoidable, I don't like to eat in front of other people, or at a crowded dinner. Let me eat my meal at my own pace! This is more just general american culture then my specific ethnic background.

Oh and for Ethnic background... the only thing I can think of is that I'm not a heavy drinker. Yes I do have Smirnoff or Bacardi sometimes, but I usually don't drink, which is like o_O for people since I'm Irish, Scottish, German, Dutch, and some other stuff, which are all pretty heavy drinking nationalities.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:39 AM #17 of 51
Originally Posted by nazpyro
Wow.

Toilet paper is a luxury in the Philippines to some people, so what other methods do they have?

Ugh... My dad still does it to this day. I still find it gross.

And don't worry about it, I don't know much Tagalog either. I never got a grasp on it.

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:15 AM #18 of 51
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Oh and for Ethnic background... the only thing I can think of is that I'm not a heavy drinker. Yes I do have Smirnoff or Bacardi sometimes, but I usually don't drink, which is like o_O for people since I'm Irish, Scottish, German, Dutch, and some other stuff, which are all pretty heavy drinking nationalities.
I think all the Caucasian blood within me comes from the British, Scot-Irish, German, and Italian countries, so I understand about the heavy drinking. The closest I've come to alcohol was Nyquil (LOL). Or sad? I didn't watch the World Cup religiously and I haven't played soccer in forever. I used to be a good goalie, but I suck when it comes to forward.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
spiderweb
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10514

Level 3.62

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:34 PM #19 of 51
Let's see....My parents are Bangladeshi, but I'm about as Americanized as one can get. I suppose one of the customs is the oldest girl of the family entertaining guests [my parent's friends] and considering a) my bengali is passable but not all that great and b) I have no interest in hanging out with 30 and 40 year olds who will probably grill me on my educational future, I tend to greet them then stay upstairs. This pisses my mom off ALOT but, oh well.

Most amazing jew boots
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 10:31 AM #20 of 51
<---Puerto Rican/Dominican

I refuse to wear PACO jeans...or PACO anything for that matter.
Now that I think about it, I think this refers to all latinos.

Most amazing jew boots
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:50 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 08:50 AM #21 of 51
Originally Posted by splur
I guess the biggest thing I noticed was that I eat pizza by holding it. You'd think that's the right way right? Well seemingly, most Chinese (and Asians for that matter) who are born in Asia eat pizza with a fork and knife cutting it into small pieces. I just can't do that even if I try. Should've seen my cousin's reaction to me eating pizza. Same reaction you'd give someone if they were peeing in public.
....which part of Asia is your cousin from? Not that it really matters, pizza is considered a "western" food which naturally prompts most Asians (from metropolitan areas) to eat it in a "western" matter (fork and knife), regardless of how Westerners actually do it.

Plus, it's hard to eat pizza with chopsticks.

JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:46 PM #22 of 51
Things from my culture I never do. Hmm. I dunno, eat at McDonalds? I wasn't even aware North America had culture.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:01 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 07:01 PM #23 of 51
Originally Posted by Soluzar
I don't drink tea. It's a very British thing, and I can't stand it.
"The entire British empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going to war without one, mate, you're very much mistaken."

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Weapon
I refuse to wear PACO jeans...or PACO anything for that matter.
I didn't know I made jeans...

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Paco; Aug 10, 2006 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 12:26 PM #24 of 51
Originally Posted by Encephalon
I didn't know I made jeans...
That's your real name? You can't get more Mexican than that!

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:42 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 07:42 PM #25 of 51
I don't really celebrate holidays. I mean, thanks for the days off when applicable, and I'll go for a turkey dinner when offered, but that's about it. It's bad enough I have to keep track of these days in the first place. I shouldn't have to be pressured to do a bunch of unnecessary shit just because of something that happened in past history which usually doesn't even have any relevance to the way the day is celebrated in modern time. Fuck you. I'll celebrate when I want, how I want.

April 1st is an exception though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Things from your culture you never do.