Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:28 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 03:28 PM #1 of 608
I remember playing the first game and I kept on having to switch it off because obviously you have to play it at night with the lights off and the sound blasting out which makes it 10 times scarier. I never did get through it all, I was such a wimp.

But even though I don't play the games I'm still intrigued with this movie and I already have a brief understanding of the storyline from the games and I can't wait for this film. At first when I heard the news ages ago about the film I was thinking it would be crap, but after reading stuff in this thread and watching clips it does look like it'll be a good film.

I try not to have expectations of a film but I can't help it with this one, I really hope it's good because i've been watching out for this one long enough =p

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:18 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:18 PM #2 of 608
Well i've been looking at the news for this film for quite some time now, having played the first Silent Hill (for around an hour before I nearly crapped myself) when I was a kid I thought that the film should be just as scary as the game was. Now i'm not a Silent Hill expert, I have a basic outline of the games story but still even that's a bit foggy (no pun intended).

I saw the film today, i've literally just got back to jump on here and find out what the hell the ending meant. After reading a few people's replies i'm sorta getting the idea of what happened, but I guess that it really is down to personal interpretation. The film itself was ok. I'm not gonna go into an in depth review because Soldier and Amanda have both posted up excellent reviews that I agree with, but still I have to rant this out anyway so here goes.

Spoiler:

The one thing that I thought pretty much ruined the film was the cult, it was a bit too medieval for my liking. However if my understanding of this is correct, if they would've stayed with the games version of the cult worshipping darkness, I think that the film would've been a whole lot better. I thought Dahlia was meant to be the evil bitch o_O. She was just annoying being the helpless old hag.

The setting in the church towards the end where "BURN THE WITCHES" was repeating a million times was just so out of place with the film. Like Amanda said, too many people with a combined acting ability of Mariah Carey just isn't scary. The Church itself was a bit cheap, the dialogue and story line at this point was just ridiculous and it really just made me think "where are they going with this burn the witch crap?"

Also, I agree with the whole "Congratulations" speech being a little cheesy. However dialogue aside I think the technique of describing Alessa's past visually was impressive, using the old burnt film reel effect. There was something eerie about seeing a distorted image of a little girl being burnt to death, it just sent my imagination into overdrive really.

From where Rose entered silent hill to the point before they enter the hotel I thought was the strongest part of the film. The editing for when Rose was chasing Alessa was great, the sound was amazing (gotta love the sirens) and the scenes with Pyramid Head were impressive. The CGI in the film is crap I have to say, the little weird things at the beginning when Rose first enters "Dark Silent Hill" were just stupid. The only positive thing about that scene was the sound, those screams just went right through me.

I thought the film was wonderfully directed, despite there being a big problem with the dialogue and parts of the storyline. Also I can really tell where they tried to fit in a male role in the film, after having the script sent back saying "there aren't any men".

However I thought the concept of the film was strong, for the most part it felt like there was a dark background to the town itself and all the creepy crawlies. It's just a shame it all fell apart really toward the end. There wasn't really that much edge of seat moments I thought. Something that annoyed me was when Rose was supposed to be entering the church but just stood there for like 5 minutes looking at it. That was annoying, sure it's a horror film convention but I wish it was one that was thrown in the bin, it's just not effective.

The ending just confused me, I think I got the whole Alessa taking over Sharron since she opened her eyes but I still don't understand why they didn't leave the foggy "dimension" of Silent Hill and how it extended to their own home. If it is supposed to be their "heaven" then it's a little fucked up.

Overall i'd probably give the film 6 or 7 out of 10. It needed more creepier bits (and no I don't mean a shit load more gore), change the direction of the cult, better CGI and a different ending.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie