Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Fate/Stay Night - TV Series

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 07:19 PM #1 of 54
Fate/Stay Night - TV Series

Synopsis
(No spoilers included)
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Take a guess
Fate/stay night chronicles events in the life of a 16-year old second-year high-school student, Shir? Emiya, who resides in Fuyuki City. At a young age his parents died in a fire and he was adopted by Kiritsugu Emiya, an enigmatic man who called himself a sorcerer. Eventually, Kiritsugu passed away as well.

Unknown to him and the rest of Fuyuki City, their city is the battleground for a secret war. When the time is right, sorcerers from near and far will gather with their Servants - the summoned spirits of legendary souls so mighty they exist outside of time - and fight a war for possession of the Holy Grail, a relic said to grant its owner a wish. The true names of the servants reveal their weaknesses, and so they are usually referred to by a classification of type instead: Saber, Archer, Rider, Berserker, Lancer, Caster, and Assassin.

When returning from cleaning his archery club's dojo one day, Shir? accidentally sees two of the servants, an Archer and a Lancer, battling in the school yard. To preserve the secrecy of the war, the Lancer mortally wounds him, but Rin T?saka, a girl who seemed like just another ordinary classmate until now, saves his life using a magical pendant. As he continues home, bewildered with the encounter, he is again attacked by Lancer. Just as he is about to be killed with no hope of surviving, a Saber-class servant appears before him, greeting him with the words

Inexorably, he is drawn further and further into the Grail War.

History of the Game
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by What is you dumb
Fate/stay night (????????????) is a Japanese visual novel game created by TYPE-MOON in 2004 that has been adapted into an anime television series, currently being broadcast in Japan, as well as a manga series, currently being published in the monthly Sh?nen Ace magazine. It has enjoyed immense popularity, especially in Japan, spawning numerous adaptations, merchandise, memorabilia and amassing an extensive fanbase around the world.

Fate/stay night was TYPE-MOON's first commercial work since transitioning from a d?jin soft group and when released in January 30, 2004, broke all records on its opening day, quickly becoming amongst the most popular visual novel games ever released. It appears to take place in the same world as their signature work, Tsukihime, although they explore different themes. A "fan disk" sequel, Fate/hollow ataraxia, was released on October 28, 2005. Both the original visual novel game and the sequel are adult-only eroge, but like many other visual novels such as Kanon or TYPE-MOON's own Tsukihime, it is well-known mainly for its expansive, comprehensive story and characters. Fate/stay night is scheduled to be released on the PS2 platform in 2006, in a version that will be intended for all ages.

This series made up for the huge disappointment that I found Lunar Legend Tsukihime to be. The anime translation of that series lacked much of what I found so appealing about the game's plot and characters (in addition to cool fight scenes). Maybe I was spoiled by Melty Blood. The animation wasn't very impressive either. Fortunately, Fate/Stay Night is a bit more faithful. While certain aspects of the storyline weren't followed (there were three branching "arcs" that you could follow in the game), the anime is still enjoyable.

Shirou, the main character, starts off as a pretty annoying and average joe. Fortunately this doesn’t last, although I’ve wanted to punch him in the face a few times just for screaming “SEEIBAAH.” The characters are likeable and cool for the most part. TYPE-MOON and the writers, due to the fact that this IS aimed at an audience under 18, alluded to a few of the darker and ecchi tones of the original h-game. If you’re already watching the series and have some knowledge of the game, then you know how much a bastard

Spoiler:
Shinji

really is. It was the first in a while that I was glad they killed a character off, as this asshole really deserved it.

While the writing’s not excellent, the feel and overall story of the original work is translated to television alright. As I said, certain elements are missing and I feel that had they been included, certain subplots would have been much, much better. In fact, there’s so much subplot and background in the original game that most of it didn’t make the cut. Past relationships, characters, and plot twists are somewhat muddled together and barely mentioned or hinted at. If you only have minimal knowledge of the game, then you’ll probably be left wondering how so-and-so are blahblahblah and why Joe is such a pessimist.

Despite it’s flaws, Fate/Stay Night is one of the better shows of the season.

Number of Episodes

Sub Groups
- Eclipse (I suck and couldn't find their homepage, so use Tokyotosho.com for a search)

Licensing Status
- Licensed (Geneon Entertainment)

Most amazing jew boots
ms-07
Carob Nut

Member 1600

Level 5.59

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 10:28 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 11:28 PM #2 of 54
I already went and spoiled all the game scenarios for myself a few days ago. I wish the anime did the UBW scenario instead, it would of been just too awesome. Fate's been pretty good though, Gil is badass.

ps obligatory (kinda NSFW):
Spoiler:

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by ms-07; May 24, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 07:39 PM #3 of 54
Originally Posted by ms-07
ps obligatory:
Spoiler:

Best doujinshi ever made. I wish they adapted this into the anime in some impossible way or other.

Also might want to warn people that it's not exactly work-safe.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 09:17 PM #4 of 54
I've got up to episode 16 with this from Eclipse, and hope they continue despite the license. It's getting pretty interesting with Saber losing some strength.

HEY KURADO/MS-07
AMIRITE! Indeed, best doujin EVER.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; May 24, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 11:55 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 11:55 PM #5 of 54
I was really drawn to Fate/Stay Night by the artwork, and I can't wait to see the English adaptation that Geneon will heopfully do, since they DID license it and all. I was bugging Styphon for info on it in the General Questions thread.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 12:24 AM #6 of 54
I thought I posted here already? Maybe pre-crash.

Ya, Fate Stay Night is awesome. I was really surprised at how well executed the whole thing was pulled off. Although two scenes stick in my mind clearly as tributes to it's original h-game roots:

Spoiler:
1) "You have to give Saber your magic energy mouth to mouth"...so Shiro gets on top of her in a sexy position..
2) When Caster just HAD to stick Sakura into a bondage outfit when she kidnapped her.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 12:37 AM Local time: May 23, 2006, 09:37 PM #7 of 54
I made a thread pre-crash (which had a bunch of pics from the Curtain Raiser teaser trailer), but you know, shit dies in crashes.

Game References
Spoiler:
I like how the "sex scene" involved Shirou getting his arm ripped off by a terrible CG dragon. Talk about bad, uncomfortable sex.

Zouken also briefly appears in Sakura/Rin's flashback in episode 18 (I think it's that episode). He's the one in the limo pulling away when Sakura is taken.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 04:55 AM #8 of 54
I think I'm on episode 5 but stopped watching it. The fighting game "Fatal fake" is what got me interested. I should give it another chance whenever i have time. It is the summer (for me ^^; ). The music is definately great since its by Kenji Kawai himself. He never fails.

Most amazing jew boots
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 05:04 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 05:04 AM #9 of 54
Originally Posted by STFUula
I've got up to episode 16 with this from Eclipse, and hope they continue despite the license.
Since Eclipse's entire reason for being appears to be subbing series that Geneon has prelicensed (see also: Shakugan no Shana), that probably isn't something you need to worry about.

Anyway, Fate is one of my favorite series airing right now. It also underscores just what Tsukihime could have been, as Kurado alludes to.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 05:49 AM #10 of 54
Originally Posted by Lord Styphon
Since Eclipse's entire reason for being appears to be subbing series that Geneon has prelicensed (see also: Shakugan no Shana), that probably isn't something you need to worry about.

Anyway, Fate is one of my favorite series airing right now. It also underscores just what Tsukihime could have been, as Kurado alludes to.
Type Moon really left Tsukihime inconclusive... 12 episodes was not enough to fit everything in.

As for Fate/Stay Night, hardcore fans are somewhat disappointed by the Anime because of its lack of depth compared to the games.

However as a general anime, I would say its doing extremely well (aside a few episodes which I found done somewhat poorly and could've been better eg. Rider's death episode).

A side note: I was surprised no one mentioned FSN here until now at episode 20 lol.

Spoiler:
If no one has noticed it yet, the anime storyline is a combination of three game storylines; Fate/Stay Night, Heaven's Feel and Unlimited Blade Works

Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 07:31 AM #11 of 54
Originally Posted by Para
Type Moon really left Tsukihime inconclusive... 12 episodes was not enough to fit everything in.

As for Fate/Stay Night, hardcore fans are somewhat disappointed by the Anime because of its lack of depth compared to the games.
I wasn't all that disappointed with Tsukihime . Maybe a little cause they lacked too much fighting. Its not like i was going to expect something with combos like in Melty Blood but something almost like s.CRY.ed.

Also, people are just disappointed because its not like the fighting games. So they don't count.

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 07:52 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 07:52 AM #12 of 54
Originally Posted by chato
Also, people are just disappointed because its not like the fighting games. So they don't count.
You know, there are people who were disappointed with the Tsukihime anime because there was a lot of story material from the game (and I don't mean the fighting games) that was left out of the anime. The "Far Side of the Moon" story arcs, and all the plot information that came from them, are almost completely left out, for instance.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime wasn't a bad series in the least, but it wasn't nearly what it could have been, and Fate/Stay Night illustrates this.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 08:19 AM #13 of 54
You know, there are people who were disappointed with the Tsukihime anime because there was a lot of story material from the game (and I don't mean the fighting games) that was left out of the anime. The "Far Side of the Moon" story arcs, and all the plot information that came from them, are almost completely left out, for instance.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime wasn't a bad series in the least, but it wasn't nearly what it could have been, and Fate/Stay Night illustrates this.

I heard Melty Blood was a direct sequel to Shingetsu-Hime, I wouldn't know anything about it since I can't read japanese for shit. We can't really say its been left out all the way, Not unless they make an anime out of MB to make up for a few mistakes.

For Fate, they have all kinds of stories including h-games that even has a plot (or so i heard from other hardcore fans).

ehh...My point is that maybe Type-Moon didn't have much interest in the Tsukihime story anymore. Since Fate/Stay Night was a big hit back then, i assume they'll just rely on that for now. They already did make a sequel Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. I wont be surprised if they make episodes out of it. Avenger is pretty cool.

BTW,there's a translation group working on a english version of MB:reACT/Cadenza. For those who are interested..

http://mirrormoon.org/

I'll be watching episode 6 to see what's going on. Been too busy with work and all that bs.

Last edited by chato; May 24, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 08:49 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 06:49 AM #14 of 54
That's good to hear. Also I do have Shakugan no Shana but haven't gotten around to watching it. There's just well a limited amount of free time in my day and still quite a number of series I need to catch up on, and I'm glad my watching FSN won't be for vain.

Also, do you have to be so mean to me with my name? I'm not that bad a member now am I?

- What we all do best -
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 08:52 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 08:52 AM #15 of 54
Originally Posted by chato
IWe can't really say its been left out all the way, Not unless they make an anime out of MB to make up for a few mistakes.
There are people who have played the game (Tsukihime, not Melty Blood, so don't bother bringing it in) who can attest to major differences between the Tsukihime game and the Tsukihime anime. The far side story arcs, for instance, are in the game and deal with the Tohno family's history, but are almost ignored in the anime. This has various effects on the anime, like leaving plenty of thing unexplained (or just poorly explained) at the end, and reducing Kohaku's character to insignificance. Ciel doesn't touch curry in the anime, but that's not really important.

Quote:
For Fate, they have all kinds of stories including h-games that even has a plot (or so i heard from other hardcore fans).
I know. Tsukihime was the same way. It had two plotline groupings: the "near side of the moon" (Arcueid and Ciel) and the "far side of the moon" (Akiha, Kohaku and Hisui).

The point here is that the Fate anime has, by and large, used those storylines effectively, while the Tsukihime anime didn't. This is what is meant when it is said that Tsukihime isn't what it could have been, and Fate illustrates that fact by showing what is twas possible for Tsukihime to have been if done the same way.

Quote:
ehh...My point is that maybe Type-Moon didn't have much interest in the Tsukihime story anymore. Since Fate/Stay Night was a big hit back then, i assume they'll just rely on that for now.
If Type-Moon keeps refining Melty Blood, it would suggest that they do still have interest in Tsukihime, even if Fate/Stay Night has replaced it at their big moneymaker.

Their interest or lack of it isn't exactly relavent to the anime, though; they weren't the one's producing the anime. There's also the fact that when the Tsukihime anime aired, Fate/Stay Night hadn't been released yet.

I like how most of what I'm talking about in this Fate thread is Tsukihime.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 09:20 AM #16 of 54
Well, I guess you are right about all that. So the anime was pretty much crammed up into the whole tv series without explaining a few characters' background. Like Yumizuka Satsuki for example.She's more different in the storyline of MB and in the anime, she's just there as a normal hs girl worrying about Tohno Shiki. I stand corrected.

Quote:
I like how most of what I'm talking about in this Fate thread is Tsukihime.
um..guess I'll stop lol. Just needed to know a few things that are type-moon related. Sorry.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 01:09 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 11:09 AM #17 of 54
Regarding the game, I've not really seen much of what this "Japanese visual novel" game from TYPE-MOON looks like nor what its interface is like. Is this like a 2d fighter game (which I can see) or as some people mentioned an H type game with a "clicky adventure" interface.

For those of you who have played, what sources did you get the game from, and how easy is it to nagivate or play the game, assuming it's entirely in Japanese. I myself have played very few PC games in Japanese to keep my interest up, since much of how I progress is through guessing and testing.

- What we all do best -
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 01:22 PM #18 of 54
I did encounter a game that is Fate/Stay Night related called Fatal Fake. I dont think there was much story but only a cell shaded 3-d fighter.

As for MB, its not hentai . just a fighting game. Although, i didn't really play through the storyline in Final TUNED mode.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 01:58 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 10:58 AM #19 of 54
Originally Posted by Spatula
Regarding the game, I've not really seen much of what this "Japanese visual novel" game from TYPE-MOON looks like nor what its interface is like. Is this like a 2d fighter game (which I can see) or as some people mentioned an H type game with a "clicky adventure" interface.

For those of you who have played, what sources did you get the game from, and how easy is it to nagivate or play the game, assuming it's entirely in Japanese. I myself have played very few PC games in Japanese to keep my interest up, since much of how I progress is through guessing and testing.
From what I've seen, Tsukihime and Fate/Stay (and it's 'sequel' Ataraxia) play sort of like the dating sims. There are branching paths you can take which ultimately determine the outcome of the story (and in some cases, which girl you end up with).

Like chato said, the Melty Blood fighting game series plays like slightly toned down Guilty Gear.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 02:27 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 12:27 PM #20 of 54
I've played a few of the dating sims but found most of them pretty generic with predictable stories. But for Fate/Stay, I might actually bother to care for the characters. So I take it that the possible "dates" are: Tohsaka, Saber, and Sakura. But the game I'm guessing would be more focussed on building up your servant stats and such and duking it out.

- What we all do best -
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 12:42 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 09:42 PM #21 of 54
Originally Posted by Spatula
I've played a few of the dating sims but found most of them pretty generic with predictable stories. But for Fate/Stay, I might actually bother to care for the characters. So I take it that the possible "dates" are: Tohsaka, Saber, and Sakura. But the game I'm guessing would be more focussed on building up your servant stats and such and duking it out.
Well, you can basically sex up just about every girl except Caster and Illya, I believe. Saber and Rin get it more, of course.

Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:01 PM #22 of 54
MB is a sequal to Tsukihime.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime wasn't bad... I liked it but it is possible that from a fan's perspective who has played the games might've found it lacking.

Like Styphon said, Fate/Stay Night is doing what Shingetsutan Tsukihime should've done.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 06:35 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 04:35 PM #23 of 54
Originally Posted by Kurado
Well, you can basically sex up just about every girl except Caster and Illya, I believe.
And Sir VG's reaction? Ah damn!

Most interesting. I should start hunting for this game. Request thread here I come!

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 09:18 PM #24 of 54
What's wrong with Caster? Caster looks awesome (without the turban like hood).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 01:46 PM #25 of 54
spatula, you're looking for the game? I have the sendspace links... I will post here again later. Hopefully it's not dead yet. You could also got the doujinshi at my blog (look at my sig)

Spoiler:

Okay, here's Fate Stay Night Game

▼ Title: Fate/stay night
▼ Brand: TYPE-MOON
▼ Genre: Visual Novel
▼ OS: Win98/2000/Me/XP
▼ On sale: 2004/01/30
▼ Required CPU / Suggested: PentiumIII 400 MHz / PentiumIII 600 MHz
▼ Required HD Space: 1.25 GB+
▼ Display: 800*600・High Color(Full Color recommended)
▼ Sound: PCM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7...banner11rs.jpg

Download:
Disc 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/coujaz (629mb)
Disc 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/25st5e (456mb)
Disc 3: http://www.sendspace.com/file/npl3sn (450mb)

Optional:
No CD: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j6jjdp
Save file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/60kkxf

Double Post:
Fate/Stay Night Doujinshi:

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Last edited by eriol33; May 27, 2006 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Fate/Stay Night - TV Series