Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Resident Evil Movie Series.

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:38 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 12:38 AM #1 of 93
Resident Evil Movie Series.

Instead of dividing the RE movies into different threads, I decided to combine the movies into one thread.
------

I found this linked on a Resident Evil website. It's from MTV:

Milla Jovovich loves being a mutant — a good thing, considering she's about to become one yet again, as "Resident Evil: Extinction" is slated to start production Monday (May 15) in Mexico.

"I just love being typecast; it's my favorite thing ever," Jovovich joked in a Valley Girl voice (see "Milla Jovovich Makes Her Case For Being Every Geek's Dream Girl"). But seriously, "I don't think it would be a great sci-fi action movie if there wasn't some sort of viral mutation going on. You always have to have some crazy virus that gets out there and suddenly infects people with these strange powers."

Jovovich's character has gone through so much transformation from the first "Resident Evil" to the third installment that the actress feels sorry for her.

"Poor Alice is just the queen of mutations," Jovovich said. "It just keeps going on and on for her." But there is an upside: "She's definitely got some crazy new powers in the new movie, I can tell you that much."

It's not just that mutant powers sound cool (Alice discovered in the past films she has superhuman speed, strength, sensory perception and mental powers), but scriptwise, they're also easily explained, unlike some other superpowers.

"If people have powers out of the blue, I'm like, 'OK, what school did they go to? Where did they train? Are you joking?' " Jovovich said. "The mutation thing gives us a lot of free reign. I like mutation thingies, as long as it doesn't happen in real life!"

While Jovovich concedes that "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" didn't measure up to the first film, she doesn't think this sequel will have the same problem.

"The studio wanted more action, more explosions, and maybe the story line kinda got swept under the carpet because of that," she said of "Apocalypse." "Unfortunately with these kinds of movies, there's only so much control the creative people can have before they get subverted by the Man. But hopefully you'll like 'Resident Evil 3' better. The script is really rad. I was almost in tears reading it."

That's because of all the "crazy things" that happen to characters like Alice's comrades-in-arms Jill Valentine (played by Sienna Guillory) and L.J. (played by Mike Epps), as they continue fighting the undead and try to prevent the zombie virus from spreading. While Jovovich won't spill on what those crazy things are, she will promise this: "You won't even expect it."

— Jennifer Vineyard
--------------

From the other things that I've read about the third RE movie, it's going to be another big departure from the game series. Even more so than the first movie. The first RE movie had almost nothing in common with the game series. It had 'Umbrella', the 'lickers', the dogs, and of coarse the lovable zombies, but no characters from the games. I liked the movie, but I wish the story was closer to the first game's story. I liked 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' (#2) better than the first movie because it had more to do with the games. It had characters from the games and the story was similar to RE3. I wish that 'RE:A' had more monster from the games, mainly Hunters. I liked that Nemesis looked like he did in RE3 and that he got to say his magic word, "STARS". I'm sure 'Resident Evil: Extinction' will be entertaining, but I wish that it wasn't going to stray from the games so much. Supposedly, there is going to be a fouth RE movie after 'Resident Evil: Extinction'. I'll see the next movie(s). I like Milla Jovovich.

xman25

Most amazing jew boots
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:54 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 02:54 AM #2 of 93
When I thought they couldn't get worse, they cast Ashanti in the movie. Genius.

Most amazing jew boots
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:58 AM #3 of 93
i knew that RE wouldn't end so soon...

the first RE disappointed me so much... but I really wonder what would happen if the first RE was anything like the first RE game... where Jill had to run around in that mansion by herself -___- i suppose there can't be any excitement in that

well after reading what you just posted... i will watch RE3 but right now it's really difficult for me to assume that I'll like it considering the last 2 movies were crap. RE2 was better than the first but it wasn't AMAZINGLY better...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 10:09 PM #4 of 93
I was kind of hyped for RE2. Nemesis was shown briefly in the trailer, Jill looked kinda hot. It seemed as though they were trying to get back into the original plotline for the games. Now, upon retrospect, that's a good and a bad thing. The games don't really have awesome or compelling storylines to begin with.

But Resident Evil: Apocalypse was just bad. Alice didn't need to run down a building to impress me; she already kicked a zombified dog in the snout in the first movie. Now if she suplexed a zombie, that'd be priceless. Instead we're 'treated' to a half-assed fight with a man in a giant Nemesis condom. I unzipped my pants in the theaters, whipped it out, and skullfucked myself. My eight dollars. Eight bucks I could've saved for a BART ticket.

The new RE movie doesn't sound very promising, but I'll probably go in with low expectations (a habit I've developed since RE:A). I mean if it's bad, at least I can go in laughing at it. Hopefully.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:13 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 05:13 AM #5 of 93
I don't know what the rest of you guys are on about, but the second RE movie was leaps and bounds ahead of the first one. That's not to say it's some grand production that should go down in history, but when it all comes down to it, the second movie was good. It was a good movie. Both these movies could have been alot worse. Like, Gigli worse. But for being a videogame movie, which some people have miraculously forgotten they are, they were pretty acceptable movies. And I am a die-hard Resident Evil fan.

Why the fuck are were people's expectations so high in the first place? They're fucking VIDEOGAME MOVIES! Nobody is supposed to expect them to be good!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ryunam
As bright as a pumpkin

Member 158

Level 11.05

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:31 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 03:31 PM #6 of 93
Quote:
They're fucking VIDEOGAME MOVIES! Nobody is supposed to expect them to be good!
So, basically, you're implying that, since people have low expectations concerning videogame-based works, they'd rather, and legitimately, retain the same stupidity they've been sporting so far. Good logic there.

Look, it's not a matter of supposed expectations or adherence to the originals. It's about common sense, really.

A martial artist Milla Jovovich combined with a spoofed Nemesis, uninspired settings, bland storyline and unfitting character portrayal (I'm looking at you, Jill *insert random swearing* Valentine). That isn't common sense, it's just an inexcusable attempt at milking bad scripts from a great series.

Yes, I think the movies were very disappointing. But, I'd say that the more the expectations, the more incentives the directors have to fulfill a proper narration of the story. Though, for the record, I actually doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:44 AM Local time: May 17, 2006, 12:44 AM #7 of 93
Who cares. I enjoyed both of them, but I don't watch many movies, so I can't compare the deep literary references and plot narration techniques to the highly acclaimed masterpieces!

I like how the stories don't have much to do with the games, cause there's no point remaking / repeating them, plus I don't like movie / game tie-ins, they should stay seperate, both have totally different atmosphere and people directing it, it'd just seem too out of place.

I thought the 3rd would be out soon... sounds like it's a while away.

FELIPE NO
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 10:20 PM #8 of 93
Resident evil series... hmmm... I liked the first one better than the second one because it had more zombie action.
Since apocalypse never flied through our movie theaters for long (for a month and a half MAX) I decided to rent it one day and I found the movie averagely enjoyable. some parts were good some were just crap. I didn't like Nemesis because the creators just raped him. The costume looked like crap and they gave him feeling.
I loved him in the game... you know busting through walls just saying: ".... s.t.a.r.s...".
but near the end where some stuff happens (I don't know how to do spoiler tags) the Nemesis killing machine gave tear and did some other stuff...

So my conclusion is that re 1 was cool. re: A was not horrible but they should have Nemesised Nemesis a little better.

I do think I'll rent Re: 3 but well... we'll see.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:34 PM #9 of 93
HOnestly, i have been somewhat disappointed with all the RE movies because I was expecting a bit more out of it... I remember being scared shitless in the games but the movies didn't really have that affect on me.

Then the 2nd movie, i thought it sucked because it tried to intergrade the games into the story by adding Carlos and Jill but fucked up because sure it had the characters but it fucked up the background of the games.. I wouldn't minded as much except that.. How many Stars members were there?? Like 30 all together or more?

Then they grabbed the helicopter chase scene from RE-Code Veronica... wtf?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Furby; May 16, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:37 PM #10 of 93
I'll see it for Sienna.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:54 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 07:54 PM #11 of 93
Yeah, the second one was cheese. It was poorly made cheese. I don't think it even matched the style/tone of the first one -- which I thought was directed well. It was like a music video with a cliched spy story and cool action scenes. Nothing incredibly groundbreaking, but not bad, and even memorable at parts.

So, RE? Kind of neat. RE:A? Me confused. :dotdotdot:

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 10:57 PM #12 of 93
The whole mutant power thing... Sounds lame to me.. This isn't X-men, it's just RE..

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Parjay
Macabre Ripper

Member 1284

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 06:58 AM #13 of 93
Yeh. It's not like we have a mutant superhuman powered Wesker running around in some of the games ....

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: May 17, 2006, 11:25 AM #14 of 93
Originally Posted by Parjay
Yeh. It's not like we have a mutant superhuman powered Wesker running around in some of the games ....
That's okay. But the whole telekynetic part is just fuckin' lame.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 02:52 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 09:52 PM #15 of 93
Originally Posted by Parjay
Well, nobody said that wasn't crap of the utmost excellence in the first place

Zorro

FELIPE NO
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 11:40 PM #16 of 93
Yeah, that shit in Veronica was b.s. b/c the mansion blew up and he was killed by the experimental monkey things.

Thus why I didn't like Code...

Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 09:32 PM #17 of 93
I have no desire to waste money to go see this. I might just go see an RE movie if they just start from scratch (new team and everything). I might actually forgive the idea that the current RE movies are abominations. And here's a question that I've been pondering... why is it that the Silent Hill movie is better than both RE movies? Wait! I think that it's success was because Konami helped make it! Maybe, they should stop writing absolute garbage and take the original story lines from the games for RE. Somethings are better left just as games, I guess....

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 11:38 PM #18 of 93
Somethings??? Look at most games made into movies... Crap, full crap.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 10:05 AM #19 of 93
This is funny considering I just had a dream about Nemesis ;__;

The first one was alright, still better than the second one. The second RE was again, alright but that's because I had mixed feelings about the movie. I was excited when I first saw the trailer, but then it sank in...the movie is going to suck hard. To my suprise it was better than what I thought it was going to be but it still wasn't good.

And now, I have really low expectations for RE3, not because it's a video game movie but because the ones before that wasn't as good as it could been. Ashanti? Bwahaha no way. I'll probably see this movie when it comes out On Demand.

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 02:35 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 04:35 PM #20 of 93
I wished they would just restart the series with a new story/timeline. The one going on in the movies right now is just awkward with Alice mutating and all. Plus with Jovovich as the lead again I doubt the movie will be much different from the previous two Resident Evils, but I also doubt that she'd accept a lesser role.

I'm just glad that Sienna and Oded Fehr are back, as they were the only reason I liked the 2nd one more than the first.

Most amazing jew boots
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:07 PM #21 of 93
Originally Posted by Newbie1234

I'm just glad that Sienna and Oded Fehr are back, as they were the only reason I liked the 2nd one more than the first.

That would be the ONLY reason I would see RE3, just for Oded Fehr.

Stribro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7029

Level 1.47

May 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 08:45 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 02:45 PM #22 of 93
So far the Resident Evil moves have been rather poor in comparison to the games in my humble opinion, I always thought that they would have continued the S.T.A.R.S vibe moreso than they have done in the movies thus far. Okay, Jill Valentine appears in the second, along with Carlos Oliviera - though without hearing him introduce himself, us Resi fans wouldn't know it was him due to looking nothing like the South American Umbrella boy.

When will Hollywood learn that making movies from games doesn't mean they'll be as popular on the big screen as at home with a pause menu.

How ya doing, buddy?
TGC
Wark!

Member 1326

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 03:41 AM #23 of 93
I actually liked the RE movies way better than most of the other video-game movies. The only other video game movie i like is MK.

Mario was laughable horrible
Same with SF
House of the dead, not even gonna go near that.
Doom - Crap
Silent Hill - Haven't seen, looks interesting, may be good.
DOA - Looking to be Crap

Forgive me if i missed any movie.

FELIPE NO
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 04:08 AM #24 of 93
The sad thing about House of the Dead, is that they made a sequel to it....

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 12:56 AM #25 of 93
Some new stuff:

1)From joblo.com: Hola amigos. Just returned from Mexico City where the sickness they call RESIDENT EVIL 3 is shooting. As had already been widely reported, most of the zombie fun this time around takes place in the desert. While I can't share much about the flick with you just yet, there were some interesting tidbits that came up regarding other projects and I thought I'd share some of that with you.

Of course, as Pat Torfe told you about the other day, we had producer Jeremy Bolt share some info on upcoming projects ranging from CASTLEVANIA to DOA 2. The RESIDENT EVIL stuff he gave us is mostly top secret at this point, but I can tell you to expect the introduction of an important character from the early games, and I think all fans of the series will be pretty damn happy with a new boss monster that's gonna rear its ugly head.

We also got a chance to chat with the F/X guys, and while we don't know exactly what's being done with the fight scenes, it was confirmed that there is a LOT of blood, and they had days when they had to have up to 100 zombies made up. Sounds f*cking intense, eh?

Of course many fans are happy to note that Russell Mulcahy (HIGHLANDER) is taking over the directorial reins from Alexander Witt who did a pretty good job of butchering the second flick. I'll let their words speak for them, but suffice to say that 100% of the returning RE2 cast we talked to had a big grin at the difference between working for Mulcahy vs. Witt.

By far the most engaging interview of the visit was with Milla Jovovich, and not just because she was in a white tank top with no bra on. In fact she mentioned that Alice's wardrobe in this flick is a design from her fashion company Jovovich-Hawk.

She also gave some insight into her opinion on the ULTRAVIOLET experience. In a nutshell she said that director Kurt Wimmer did not come through on promises he made her throughout production, and at one point she actually called him a cad.

There's so much more I wish I could share with ya'll, but for now you'll have to wait. Sorry 'bout that. What I can say with confidence is that I'm looking forward to this one now. Before the set visit, not so much.

2)From IGN: June 29, 2006 - This week at the Hollywood and Video Games Summit in Beverly Hills, we got a chance to talk to the keynote speaker, filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson. The director, famous for adapting videogames to film, talked briefly about the third movie in the Resident Evil trilogy, Resident Evil: Extinction.

"My concept behind the trilogy of movies I always imagined making was: the first movie would be a prequel to the very first game. It would tell the back story of the videogame world. The second movie would be set kind of intertwined with what was happening in Raccoon City. And then the third movie would be like a post script to the world of the videogame," Anderson explained.

"So the third movie, Resident Evil: Extinction is set several years in the future and it's pretty much after the Umbrella Corporation has failed to control the outbreaks of the T-Virus and the world has literally been wiped out. There's very little humanity left and a handful of human survivors are traveling around the remnants of the world in these heavily armored convoys and what they do is they go to the least populated parts of the world, because they figure that's where the least undead will be, and they travel in these heavily armored trucks and customized rolling fortresses—it's very Road Warrior--at high speed so that the undead don't get anywhere near them. So that's where the movie takes place, primarily in the deserts of Nevada and around Las Vegas. But of course, it's a Las Vegas that has kind of fallen now, because what's happened is, with no one to take care of it, the desert has come back in and half-buried Vegas. So… we built all these casinos which are sort of buried in the sand.

"We built… parts of Paris [the casino]. So we built a chunk of the Eiffel Tower, but half-buried in sand. It's really spectacular."

For more information about the film, visit IGN's Resident Evil Extinction page, and keep checking IGN FilmForce for the latest updates.
---------

IGN also has two pictures from the set of the movie, one of Milla Jovovich loooking a bit dirty, but hot and Ali Larter as Claire Redfield looking like a Sarah Connor from 'T2' ripoff. So far the third movie looks to be an even bigger departure from the games than the first one. But, I'll hold off judgement until I start seeing footage from the movie.

xman25

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Resident Evil Movie Series.