Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

DSL Modem Activity....

LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 10:31 AM #1 of 3
DSL Modem Activity....

Every so-often, I notice that my activity lights on my DSL modem blink, similarly to what a normal packet transaction would do. When I power cycle the modem to acquire a new ip address, it'll sometimes blink like crazy, then disperse after a minute or so. Thinking that I may have acquired an IP address that a peer-to-peer user used, I pay no mind to it. But, the occurrences are increasing.

I checked my firewall to see if any packets are leaving the station. It showed zip. Then, I checked my router to see if it's catching any transfer movements.....none. So, now I'm a little bit worried. It could be nothing, but is it possible that the router is communicating with the dsl to ensure its connectivity? Or is there something going on with the outside line that is communicating with the DSL?

Something is being transferred, and it could be ingenuous, like the ISP updating the firmware (if that even happens).

Are there any software or hardware tools that I can acquire to ensure nothing malicious is going on?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 11:12 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 08:12 AM #2 of 3
Quote:
I checked my firewall to see if any packets are leaving the station. It showed zip. Then, I checked my router to see if it's catching any transfer movements.....none. So, now I'm a little bit worried. It could be nothing, but is it possible that the router is communicating with the dsl to ensure its connectivity? Or is there something going on with the outside line that is communicating with the DSL?
No its nothing to worry about. It is actually your DSL provider checking the status of your connection as you suggested. It pretty much asks the modem "Are you still there, do you still need your IP address; do you need a new one?" And the modem answers back. These packets never reach your internal network thus your software firewall or router would not report such.

The heavy traffic after a power cycle is also normal as the modem acquires its IP address along with getting protocol information as well as sending and receiving sync packets to and from your ISP. Syncing can take upward to a few minutes depending on the network.

Most amazing jew boots
LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 12:16 PM #3 of 3
*exhales* Ah, thank you so much, Cetra, for dissolving my doubts. I thought something else was going on, and I was beginning to get worried.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > DSL Modem Activity....