Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Superman Returns

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:56 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 08:56 AM #101 of 232
Ouch... I'm surprised you can fill your main drive that full. Good luck.

I was speaking idiomatically.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:42 PM #102 of 232
LeHah is there any chance you could upload Track #13 "Saving The World", please?

I have the rest of the score but I'm just missing that track.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 10:46 PM #103 of 232
Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
It's kinda funny how they're supposedly jumping off the point where Supes banged Lois when he became human for a short time in Superman II. They're hinting at the idea that the kid is actually his, and that he's flown away leaving a preggo lois back on earth.
Really? I'd read that this was supposed to take place after Superman II (while disregarding III and IV, which I'm happy about LOL). However, I didn't know they were taking that angle... I thought the kid was supposed to be her boyfriend's. I guess it would be a big shock to Lois because she did have her memory "wiped," so she has no idea she slept with Superman.

Brain... hurts... lol.

FELIPE NO
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 01:34 AM #104 of 232
I myself don't really like the idea of Superman having a kid with Lois, as I think that it takes away from his character overall, but I will see how they treat it in the movie. Hopefully well...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 12:42 PM #105 of 232
Originally Posted by SpaceOddity
Really? I'd read that this was supposed to take place after Superman II (while disregarding III and IV, which I'm happy about LOL).
Granted that III and IV sucked balls compared to the first two films... I don't understand creating some weird screwed up continuity. Why not just start fresh with an origin story like they did with Batman, or if they're going continue from where the old flicks left off why not include all of them?

Yes Superman III was pretty much crap and IV was one of the worst movies ever. III was so dumb... Superman fights a fucking computer and Richard Pryor... ugh... dumb.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:13 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 04:13 PM #106 of 232
Granted that III and IV sucked balls compared to the first two films... I don't understand creating some weird screwed up continuity. Why not just start fresh with an origin story like they did with Batman, or if they're going continue from where the old flicks left off why not include all of them?
Yeah, I agree with you - starting fresh certainly worked for Batman Begins, and it would be a great introduction to kids as to what Superman is all about (if they don't know already, which would be suprising). It actually does look like they're going to explain his origin story a little (with flashbacks), but I guess Singer liked the first 2 movies and felt it that this movie could work as an alternate "Superman III." Hopefully it'll make some sort of sense... I'm just not thrilled with the idea of Superman being the father of Lois' kid. Moviegoers who haven't seen Superman II aren't going to know that she slept with him, so yeah, it doesn't really make sense to follow that storyline. :-/

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SpaceOddity; Jun 17, 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:32 PM #107 of 232
The origin story for Superman has been retold so many times over the years, I mean who doesn't know where Superman came from or the whole general background? It'd also be pretty much redundant at this time given the WB's Smallville which again tells of Superman origins and the story of young Clark Kent discovering his powers while on the road to becoming Superman.

Using the Richard Donner film though as a jump off point as some "vague history" just comes from that it's pretty much THE Superman film that audiences remember even today. I mean whenever Superman is featured or parodied in shows like Family Guy or SNL it's always the Donner film from the Fortress of Solitude to General Zod and the 2 Kryptonian criminals along with The Phantom Zone.

Quote:
Yes Superman III was pretty much crap and IV was one of the worst movies ever. III was so dumb... Superman fights a fucking computer and Richard Pryor... ugh... dumb.
Pretty much why they're not referenced or associated with Superman Returns. SIII & IV pretty much disregarded the events in Superman I & II anyways so it's not like they added anything significant to the franchise or universe. I can understand how the "vague history" thing can be confusing but hopefully it works in 'Returns. I guess we'll find out in less than 2 weeks.

In the meantime you can check out 13 minutes of behind the scenes "B-Roll" footage over at IESB:
Right Click & Download

The site also has 11short clips from the film too, no real spoilers:
LINK

Slightly related but there's an all new Superman: The Animated Series 90 minute feature on Cartoon Network right now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ziggythecat
I like Chocolate Milk

Member 8650

Level 10.49

Jun 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 07:05 PM #108 of 232
I like the soundtrack. Track #3 Rough Flight is pretty awesome. If the movie turns out to be half as cool as those 11 clips were, I'll be much happy time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I like your booty but I'm not gay.
Cobra
One day...

Member 1101

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:58 AM #109 of 232
Marlon Brando reprises his role of Jor El in Superman Returns.

......................SAY WHAT ?

No black magic there :

http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wbmo...r_el_large.mov

:EDIT: why did I call him Brandon anyway.

Last edited by Cobra; Jun 20, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:25 AM #110 of 232
here's a quick illustration inspired by the upcoming movie. Although Im sticking with the brighter motif. hope you like!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Roan; Jun 20, 2006 at 11:19 AM.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:50 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:50 AM #111 of 232
Originally Posted by Cobra
Marlon Brando
Not that it's a hueg deal, but there's no "n" in his name.

FELIPE NO
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:54 AM #112 of 232
Originally Posted by Cobra
Marlon Brando reprises his role of Jor El in Superman Returns.

......................SAY WHAT ?

No black magic there :

http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wbmo...r_el_large.mov

:EDIT: why did I call him Brandon anyway.
That was a cool little video, thanks for the link. I hope there are more featurettes like that on the DVD.

Heck, Brando even has his own action figure now:

Here's a link to a low res capture of HBO's "First Look" which aired last night:
YSI LINK

Couple of more reviews...

Newsweek
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13389957/site/newsweek
Quote:
Movies: The Big Guy's Back. We Missed Him.

June 26, 2006 issue - There was headscratching and second-guessing when director Bryan Singer announced he was abandoning his wildly popular "X-Men" franchise to make "Superman Returns." Would the Man of Steel fly for a new generation of moviegoers? Could Singer resurrect the series Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve revitalized in 1978, which sputtered out in 1987three sequels later?

Singer did the right thing. From the start of this gorgeously crafted epic, you can feel that Singer has real love and respect for the most foursquare comics superhero of them all, as well as a reverence for the Donner version, which serves as his visual and emotional template. In "Superman Returns" (written by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris from a story they cooked up with Singer), the caped crusader for truth, justice, etc. (Brandon Routh) returns to crime-ridden Earth after a five-year detour amid the remains of his home planet. Back in Metropolis—where, as Clark Kent, he gets his old Daily Planet job back—he learns that Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) has a nice, good-looking live-in boyfriend (James Marsden) and a son, and, to add insult to heartbreak, has won a Pulitzer Prize for her article "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman." Also back from a stint behind bars is master criminal Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) with heinous plans to create a new continent (don't ask) at the expense of several million lives.

Singer aroused a feeling that I, as a victim of Chronic Summer Superhero Fatigue Syndrome, wasn't expecting: I felt happy to have Superman back, as if I'd actually missed the guy. You know that you are in the presence of kitsch of a very high order when a comic-book romance can actually produce a lump in your throat. Newcomer Routh may or may not be a real actor, but he effortlessly lays claim to the iconic role, just as Reeve did. Indeed, he virtually duplicates Reeve in the way he plays Kent as a diffident, awkward Midwestern colt. Singer cleverly doles out his hero in small portions, so that we're left, like all those awestruck admirers in Metropolis, wanting more glimpses of him than we get.

The movie follows form by making Lex Luthor a comic menace. Spacey, who can do ironic megalomania in his sleep, has a decidedly lighter touch than Gene Hackman. Both he, and Parker Posey as his moll, are great fun to watch. But Luthor's evil schemes are the most nonsensical and forgettable aspects of the movie. Singer's real forte is lyricism. This "Superman," which infuses its action with poetry, soars as a love story filled with epic yearnings, thwarted desires and breathtaking imagery: Lois, spied on with her lover's X-ray vision, ascending in a skyscraper's elevator; Superman, zapped with kryptonite, descending silently and helplessly through space. (If Jean Cocteau had directed $200 million action movies, they might have looked a little like this.) Next to Singer's champagne, most recent superhero adventure movies are barely sparkling cider.

—David Ansen
Variety
http://www.variety.com/VE1117930841.html
Quote:
"Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" reads the title of a piece that wins Lois Lane the Pulitzer Prize in "Superman Returns," the latest bigscreen revival of comicdom's strongest and fastest hero. Not only is she wrong in the context of the story (not to mention real life), but she'll be wrong in the court of public opinion once the world gets a look at this most grandly conceived and sensitively drawn Superman saga. Sure to rate with aficionados alongside "Spider-Man 2" and, for many, "Batman Begins" on the short list of best superhero spectaculars, pic more than justifies director Bryan Singer's decision to jump ship from the "X-Men" franchise, and will pull down stratospheric B.O. around the globe.
Quote:
New version tips its hat to the 1978 picture in numerous ways; it's dedicated to Reeve and wife Dana; it recycles John Williams' main musical theme; Marlon Brando once again appears, albeit mostly vocally, as Superman's father; and newcomer Brandon Routh bears a conspicuous resemblance to Reeve.

Nonetheless, Singer imprints his handiwork with its own personality. Despite its acute awareness of what's come before, "Superman Returns" is never self-consciously hip, ironic, post-modern or camp. To the contrary, it's quite sincere, with an artistic elegance and a genuine emotional investment in the material that creates renewed engagement in these long-familiar characters and a well-earned payoff after 2½ hours spent with them.

Quote:
Topping off these aspects is the evocative, darkly lyrical score by John Ottman, continuing in his unique dual role for Singer as composer and editor (with Elliot Graham). The sometimes ethereal qualities of Ottman's work, amplified by significant choral strains, provide an emotional dimension -- and show up Williams' "Star Wars" thematic variation for the bombast it is.

Quote:
One can praise newcomer Routh very highly indeed simply by saying that he carries this giant film with apparent effortlessness. Thesp possesses a winning, appealing personality that nicely complements his rangy, black-haired, blue-eyed good looks. Parker Posey has a bit of a field day playing Lex Luthor's sassy floozy.
TIME Magazine
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...5367-2,00.html
Quote:
It turns out that Singer and writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris had excellent reason to re-create the Superman saga, dreamed up in the '30s by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and elaborated on in countless comics, movie serials, TV shows and feature films. Singer, Dougherty and Harris went back to the story's premise, reviving it by revising it. Beneath the artifacts of camp and cape, they located a rich lode of myth. Just as important, they resolved to take it seriously. The result is an action adventure that's as thrilling for what it means as for what it shows.
The Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002689933
Quote:
While Routh is the same age as Reeve when he played the role, Routh's Superman is older in spirit. His Superman has known heartbreak and loss. He thinks about his late father and must consider the possibility that he might have a son. He even faces his own mortality. In other words, Singer wants to put human emotions into his alien superhero, and for the most part, he succeeds.
Quote:
This high-wire act would have gone for naught if Routh had not so capably filled the Man of Steel's costume. Like Reeve, he is just right physically, looking at times like the old comic book drawings of Superman. There is honesty in his acting where the emotions that play across Superman/Clark Kent's face and body come from deep within. Bosworth's Lois is a torn woman, highly ambivalent over the return of a man she has tried to hard to forget. And young Leabu does a nice job in conveying the innocence and curiosity of a boy with a new hero/authority figure in his life.

The oh-wow technical wizardry behind "Superman Returns" accomplishes two things: It makes you appreciate the huge advances in visual effects since 1978 but also appreciate the considerable accomplishments of Donner's team back in the day.
Screen Daily
http://www.screendaily.com/story.asp?storyid=26703
Quote:
Like Sam Raimi did with Spider-man and Christopher Nolan with Batman Begins, Bryan Singer invests his new Superman movie with emotional intensity and high passions, creating a love triangle scenario which is even more gripping than Lex Luthor's latest plot to destablise the world. Made with the intelligence and elegance that Singer brought to his X-Men films and filled with visual and thematic invention, it's a thoroughly engaging summer spectacle which should have no difficulty hitting the box office numbers that it needs to reignite the franchise.
Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=23635
Quote:
....And finally today I saw a SUPERMAN film that is no fantasy – no careless product of wild imagination. No, my friends… this is the film I was hoping and dreaming for. A movie to reintroduce SUPERMAN to the world. Many would take this to mean that I was "predisposed" to love SUPERMAN RETURNS - actually - for me, that's not exactly true. I could have shown up today and found a basket of lies and false hopes. I could have not seen the film I saw. A film filled with love and beauty. To not brush the original films of my childhood away like artifacts of a misguided time. Instead – what Singer, Dougherty and Harris have done – well… they too liked the first and second films. And they dared to honor them, but not be beholden. To acknowledge, while reinventing. And – not so much improving, but learning from the mistakes of an era.
Quote:
The lesson to be learned from the “SUPERMAN RETURNS” development is this. Waiting for talented people of passion and vision is worth every year of delays and restarts… of blown deals and costly explorations. At the end of it all, Warners did it right. Thank God. The Man of Steel is Back!
Finally here's a negative review from Newsarama...
http://www.newsarama.com/movies/Supe...an_Review.html
Quote:
...Now we get down to the worst offender: Bryan Singer.

I could understand it when Richard Donner screwed up, he's not a comic guy. BUT SINGER IS A COMIC GUY! He knows better. We've all seen X-Men, where is the guy who understood the comics and presented the characters in a powerful, albeit altered, story?

Bottom line, if you love the first two Superman movies and like the idea of a tribute to those movies with new actors, go see Superman Returns, you'll love it. Otherwise, Superman fans beware - put a DVD of the animated series in and wait for the fuss to pass.
.....Of course the review kind of goes shitsville when calling upon Michael Rosenbaum as a better choice for Lex Luthor and wishing Tom Welling had been cast as Superman later on in the review and this...
Quote:
Nope, as long as it's a good story that's faithful to itself and presents a logical story and is somewhat faithful to the character upon which it was based, I'm happy. If all that sounds like Smallville, it should. That's a show that generally (with the exception of some occasionally crappy scripts) gets it right."
Uh huh. A show that pisses on the established mythos on a weekly basis that also lifts plenty of elements from the Donner film and universe. :eyebrow:

Due to all the positive reviews Warner Bros. has taken up an ad in all national papers to promote the positive buzz:
http://supermanhomepage.com/images/s...wspaper-ad.jpg

Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 01:55 PM #113 of 232
Originally Posted by Simo
Finally here's a negative review from Newsarama...
http://www.newsarama.com/movies/Supe...an_Review.html

.....Of course the review kind of goes shitsville when calling upon Michael Rosenbaum as a better choice for Lex Luthor and wishing Tom Welling had been cast as Superman later on in the review and this...

Uh huh. A show that pisses on the established mythos on a weekly basis that also lifts plenty of elements from the Donner film and universe. :eyebrow:

Due to all the positive reviews Warner Bros. has taken up an ad in all national papers to promote the positive buzz:
http://supermanhomepage.com/images/s...wspaper-ad.jpg
Leave it to the rabid incessant comic book geeks to find fault.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:23 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:23 PM #114 of 232
Too bad he is right about the Smallville comment. Truth. One cannot deny it after seeing what they have done in five seasons. Pure brilliance on their tight scripts in terms of the actors playing their characters to a T and story.

I like how people randomly say that smallville pisses on the mythos all the time like they think they know what they are talking about. But whatever.

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Jun 20, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:37 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 07:37 PM #115 of 232
Originally Posted by BZ
Too bad he is right about the Smallville comment. Truth. One cannot deny it after seeing what they have done in five seasons. Pure brilliance on their tight scripts in terms of the actors playing their characters to a T and story.

I like how people randomly say that smallville pisses on the mythos all the time like they think they know what they are talking about. But whatever.
I have to agree with you there.

I've been following Superman from silver age comics, and the "superboy" comics in those days never made any sense. Smallville is really an accurate portrayal of Clark growing up in 2000. The work they did with the meteor strike being the cause of Lex's hair loss, his on-off relationship with Lana, the tragedy in the Luthor family that drives Lex to madness... All these things make more sense than the comics ever did.

For instance, it was always "known" that the reason Lex had no hair was because of Superman. But how did that happen? I remember hearing a rumor of a high school lab experiment which sounds ridiculous. Never was a good explanation for this "idea" given until Smallville. Also, gaining powers slowly and having confusion about them also makes more sense then the comic "baby boy flying".

Smallville does do away with the whole "Superboy in Smallville gains experience to go Metropolis" and focuses on Clark learning to build character which is what Superman needs in Metropolis. Makes much more sense. It also has some other oddities like Lois Lane showing up, and Jor-El on Earth, but these are pretty minor points to be whining about.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)

Last edited by TheReverend; Jun 20, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:01 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:01 PM #116 of 232
Why are you talking about things you obviously have no interest in or knowledge of, Dayvon?
Originally Posted by Dayvon
For instance, it was always "known" that the reason Lex had no hair was because of Superman. But how did that happen? I remember hearing a rumor of a high school lab experiment which sounds ridiculous. Never was a good explanation for this "idea" given until Smallville.
http://superman.ws/tales2/howluthormetsuperboy/?page=6
This was the story before 1986. In 1986, a writer changed it so Lex lost his hair in adulthood as a result of natural baldness. "lol metor shower" is not a better explanation.

Quote:
Also, gainomg powers slowly and having confusion about them also makes more sense then the comic "baby boy flying".
Superman is a fucking alien with unknown biology. How does one make more sense than the other? Christ, you're dumb.

And it was already done in 1986.

Quote:
It also has some other oddities like Lois Lane showing up, and Jor-El on Earth, but these are pretty minor points to be whining about.
Jor-El and the Kryptonian shit has been the nexus of the plot for seasons. It's not a minor point.

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:20 PM #117 of 232
Originally Posted by Interrobang
Why are you talking about things you obviously have no interest in or knowledge of, Dayvon?

http://superman.ws/tales2/howluthormetsuperboy/?page=6
This was the story before 1986. In 1986, a writer changed it so Lex lost his hair in adulthood as a result of natural baldness. "lol metor shower" is not a better explanation.

Superman is a fucking alien with unknown biology. How does one make more sense than the other? Christ, you're dumb.

And it was already done in 1986.

Jor-El and the Kryptonian shit has been the nexus of the plot for seasons. It's not a minor point.
Wow... You've got some Superman = serious business going on. Calm down and let me have an opinion.

Yes, I do think that that comic you reference is a VERY lame way for the Superman/Lex feud to begin. Very lame. It makes Lex as just a ungrateful prick. Smallville makes it indirectly Supes' fault which seems like a less of a stretch and more of a blanket guilty by association. That seems more like the Lex concept than the former, and less boring than natural baldness.

I do think slowly gaining powers makes more sense. If you aren't taught, how do you know how or that you can do something? It should be a clumsy learning process, not a unconcious doing. Secondly, it also fits with the ideas of Superman "charging" under the yellow sun. The longer he is exposed the more power he has. Check Supes' return from space in (EDIT) Superman #32, as well as death of superman series.

I didn't say it was minor "in the story", but a minor thing to gripe about. And when has any offshoot ever been 100% faithful? And secondly, I'm currently watching through the Smallville series for the first time and am only at the end of the third season... Take a chill pill.

~ Ready To Strike ~

Last edited by TheReverend; Jun 20, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:26 PM #118 of 232
I've watched a few of the clips, and it seems to be completely devoid of the epicness that should come with the Superman character.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:34 PM #119 of 232
Originally Posted by Megalith
I've watched a few of the clips, and it seems to be completely devoid of the epicness that should come with the Superman character.
Well, you always have been a bit cynical.... I'm sure they are holding back a bit. The Xmen3 trailer wasn't epic enough?

FELIPE NO
~ Ready To Strike ~
Interrobang

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:57 PM #120 of 232
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Wow... You've got some Superman = serious business going on. Calm down and let me have an opinion.
More of a "Why the fuck are you even talking."

Quote:
Yes, I do think that that comic you reference is a VERY lame way for the Superman/Lex feud to begin. Very lame. It makes Lex as just a ungrateful prick.
Which is what Lex is. He's supposed to be an arrogant human in contrast with the alien with humility. Lex likes being Superboy's buddy because it makes him feel special, but when he fucks up, he can't admit that he made a mistake. Lex's arrogance is the driving force of that story and shows what a miserable person Lex truly is.
Quote:
Smallville makes it indirectly Supes' fault
So does the comic page you were supposed to read. "Not only that--The gas fumes made my hair fall out! I'm bald!"

Quote:
I do think slowly gaining powers makes more sense. If you aren't taught, how do you know how or that you can do something? It should be a clumsy learning process, not a unconcious doing.
Babies certainly aren't taught to crawl, yet they do so; I'm not sure why you're placing limitations on an alien baby, anyway.

Quote:
Secondly, it also fits with the ideas of Superman "charging" under the yellow sun. The longer he is exposed the more power he has. Check Supes' return from space in (EDIT) Superman #32, as well as death of superman series.
His "charging" capability has been modified. Before 1986, it was instantaneous. You're using examples from after 1986.

Quote:
Take a chill pill.
Maybe if you'd stop talking about things you don't know shit about.

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:08 PM #121 of 232
@ Interrobang

Obviously, you are quite upset about not only Smallville, but at some of the ways DC has changed Superman over the years. I was born in '82, and I really don't care a heck of a whole lot about THE ENTIRE Superman story dating back to the 30's. It's an idea, a myth, that grows and changes with time, which is why I stated that I think Smallville is a outstanding show that follows the Superman "myth" and fits well in 2000's.

If you can't deal with different ideas of the Superman story, then stop caring, and read what you want over and over.

And I'm talking 'cause I (like most people) have liked Superman over the years, bought his comics, and generally kept up on the comics as they have progressed over the years. I havent had access or information on many of the comics you want to reference, because I havent read them, don't own them, and haven't studied Superman. I ENJOY the story of Superman, told, re-told, tweaked and re-told. You should learn to do the same. And stop sounding so bloody emo.

~ Ready To Strike ~
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:09 PM #122 of 232
Originally Posted by Megalith
You're also a worthless fucking troll. Shut the fuck up, small-dick.

Quote:
He's supposed to be an arrogant human in contrast with the alien with humility.
Very well said. Superman and Lex are two opposites - Clark grew up on a farm in a small town and amounted to being the ubermensch of humanity - while Lex is seen as a powerful man of the people, he's actually just a damned criminal jerk.

Interrobang

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:17 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:17 PM #123 of 232
That not even my fucking point, Dayvon. I don't give a shit about how Smallville or Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths is different than Pre-Crisis Superman.

No, you're just an idiot with worthless opinions. It'd be better if you just said that you were some douche that liked Smallville. That would have been barely noticeable on my radar. However, you felt the need to go further and prove that Smallville was somehow superior than the comics and you failed at it by not knowing what the fuck you were talking about.

How ya doing, buddy?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:31 PM #124 of 232
Originally Posted by Interrobang
That not even my fucking point, Dayvon. I don't give a shit about how Smallville or Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths is different than Pre-Crisis Superman.

No, you're just an idiot with worthless opinions. It'd be better if you just said that you were some douche that liked Smallville. That would have been barely noticeable on my radar. However, you felt the need to go further and prove that Smallville was somehow superior than the comics and you failed at it by not knowing what the fuck you were talking about.
I didn't say Smallville was superior to the comics. You assumed that.

Secondly, I haven't even finished watching the whole series, and no I am not "some douche that liked Smallville" and comes in here saying he knows stuff about Superman. You assumed that. I started to watch the series a few weeks ago. I have liked and collected 80's-now superman comics for years.

I think that Smallville is great. I think that the comics are great. I don't think one is better than the other. I think that some things in Smallville are better ideas then in the comics, but I also think that some things in Smallville are worse than the comics... But why does it have to be a big deal? I ENJOY and like both. Do you?

You've been doing alot of assuming and flexing of your e-penis knowledge of Superman, all the while being demeaning, condescending, and an outright ass-wipe. Why don't you just let other people enjoy entertainment, and you can keep you self-righteous prick behavior to yourself.

~ Ready To Strike ~

Last edited by TheReverend; Jun 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
Interrobang

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:50 PM #125 of 232
Irrelevant.

It's not about enjoying things, you dense dolt. It's about you saying stupid stuff to justify your conclusions about how Smallville is better* than the comics. You are acting as if you are knowledgeable when you aren't.

*No, I don't give a shit about your semantics.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Superman Returns