Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Tattoos where do you stand?

munchkin13
*meow*

Member 1634

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:21 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2009, 05:21 PM #26 of 96
Thanks for your input guys I've already got three tattoos but I was having a debate with my friend who was in a relationship with a guy for just over a yearwho was perfect for her, but was actually considering throwing it away because he was considering getting a tattoo! Which I personally thought was aboslutely crazy! I agree with the majority I am a fan of well designed, thought out tattoos. I think people who get tattoos just for the sake of it are a bit stupid if there is no actual connection to it if it makes sense.

Quote:
I understand why some people would want a picture of Mario on their arm (To remind them of their cousin who died in a freak turtle related accident of course) but it's not for me.
I love this statement!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:18 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2009, 01:18 PM #27 of 96
I don't really pay much attention to tattoos on people unless I am actually having a discussion with the person and they catch my eye. I've seen some really cool ones in my lifetime, and I can appreciate a well done tattoo as much as I can a good drawing or painting. I cannot for the life of me think of a logical reason someone would prejudice against people with tattoos.

As for my stance on tattoos on my own body, I would say that the chances are highly unlikely that I will ever get a tattoo myself, simply for the fact that I don't really feel like I would get anything out of it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
bzuka
Wark!

Member 34246

Level 1.34

Aug 2009

Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:24 AM #28 of 96
i like tattoos too but my father even i'm 21 now don't let me do any(

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
love red wine )
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:40 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2009, 01:40 AM #29 of 96
If I got a tattoo it'd be Crazy Balloon.

On my balls.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:10 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2009, 05:10 PM #30 of 96
i like tattoos too but my father even i'm 21 now don't let me do any(
Get one where he can't see it and don't let him see it until after you move out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:14 AM 1 #31 of 96
I'll never get one. You know why? I don't work on a goddamned whaling ship.

Tattoos are now generally worn by only the most uninteresting people. I learn everything about them by looking at what they have inked into their skin - you know, a chinese symbol for peace or a flower with an angel or a movie monster or some other bullshit. These things are so important to you you'd rather put them on your body instead of talking about them? How thin your personality must be...

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:19 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2009, 05:19 PM 5 #32 of 96
I think you're rather projecting your own one-dimensional character onto other people there LeHah. What's to say you can't have something tattooed on to you and talk about it? Hell, I've had some very interesting conversations with total strangers based on their tattoos. And I still don't see what's wrong with getting a tattoo just because it looks nice, rather than for some deep spiritual bullshit reason. For the same reason though I don't think tattoos are for everyone because they just don't suit certain people's looks. I mean, I can't imagine a situation where a guy with his t-shirt tucked into his jogging pants would look right with a tattoo, unless it was one someone else tattooed onto him shortly before flushing his head down the toilet saying something like "Born loser".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Thud.
Michael J. Floppies

Member 31527

Level 14.90

Aug 2008

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:21 AM 8 #33 of 96
I dig em'

'Cause I work on a whaling ship.

And I'm uneducated except about whales.

And I like people to know that I'm tough shit just by looking at me
when I bend over to pick up whaling ship supplies at my whaling ship job.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:44 AM 2 #34 of 96
I'll never get one. You know why? I don't work on a goddamned whaling ship.

Tattoos are now generally worn by only the most uninteresting people. I learn everything about them by looking at what they have inked into their skin - you know, a chinese symbol for peace or a flower with an angel or a movie monster or some other bullshit. These things are so important to you you'd rather put them on your body instead of talking about them? How thin your personality must be...
Wow, LeHah. You certainly are good at generalizations.

Anyways, I'm down with them, provided they mean something to the bearer. I have one on my fat right upper arm. Whether or not it will look good in 30 years, I don't care. I plan to get another on my left shoulder of three bumblebees, representing my family. (My last name in French is "bumblebee")

I don't really like those who cover themselves in tattoos, though. I don't consider my skin a blank canvas.

Each person's body is their own, and they're entitled to their tattoos all over their goddamn body. You can tell something about a person by what they chose to put on their skin, though

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 05:08 PM #35 of 96
What's to say you can't have something tattooed on to you and talk about it?
Because I've never, ever seen a tattoo as an interesting conversation idea. "I got THIS put on me because of blah blah blah and it means bork bork bork" is a shit and a toss from people showing you their vacation pictures. Its something that has no quantifiable value to anyone other than the person wearing it, so how could it be interesting? Are you people entertained by flash cards and random sounds as well?

Yeah, great, you have this thing on you that was never intended to be. Don't talk to me about your self-involved stupidity and your sense of self and spiritual awakenings. Thats just smarts for knuckle-dragging commons. Its not even like theres a story with it! At least I have scars all over me and each one has a bad joke or a good discovery behind it. Tattoos are for people who shoot themself in the foot to leave the front lines.

Wow, LeHah. You certainly are good at generalizations.
I am good at them, because the majority of people purposely box themselves into stereotypes to fit in with their immedeate surroundings.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:03 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2009, 04:03 PM #36 of 96
Tattoos are apparently serious business.

As for myself, I have a great fear of needles and inoculations, so I have never attempted to get one. Pre-emptive note: Yes, I am aware of the nature of the tattoo needles, which differ greatly from the kind used in hospitals, doesn't mean I still don't like needles.

As far as tattoos on other people go, I don't really care. Its just ink in skin after all.

How ya doing, buddy?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:09 PM 1 #37 of 96
Except for the fact that I have NO tolerance for pain in an extended setting, I'd love to get a tattoo going up my spine that kinda looks like nerves. Fucking terrifying, that.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:00 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2009, 01:00 PM #38 of 96
Except for the fact that I have NO tolerance for pain in an extended setting, I'd love to get a tattoo going up my spine that kinda looks like nerves. Fucking terrifying, that.
Getting a tattoo doesn't hurt any worse than sunburn.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:18 PM #39 of 96
I'm pale Welsh/Brit stock. I fucking HATE sunburns.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:22 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2009, 11:22 PM #40 of 96
I'm pale Welsh/Brit stock. I fucking HATE sunburns.
If you were British you'd be tough enough to take the pain of a tattoo. Your parents must be lying to you about where they come from.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:26 PM #41 of 96
I'm tough enough to take the pain of taking it up the ass. Is that tough enough for you?

I mean, I'm also British enough to be French. The family name can be traced back to THE BOOK.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:33 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2009, 11:33 PM #42 of 96
I'm tough enough to take the pain of taking it up the ass. Is that tough enough for you?

I mean, I'm also British enough to be French. The family name can be traced back to THE BOOK.
Ain't no lube for a tattooist's needle.

Your parents told you you were British stock to hide the shame of being French. Anyway, even if your great-grand-folks were tough, it sounds like generations of living in the US has turned your gene stock pussy.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:35 PM #43 of 96
Ain't no lube for a tattooist's needle.

Your parents told you you were British stock to hide the shame of being French. Anyway, even if your great-grand-folks were tough, it sounds like generations of living in the US has turned your gene stock pussy.
Spit's better than lube mosttimes.

And also: I think you missed the vital historical information in the "so British I'm French" comment. And I'm only a 3rd generation American. My great grandfather came over at the end of the 1800s.

SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:44 PM #44 of 96
I love the trendy tattoos that everyone has now. The barbed wire on the arm. The tramp stamp on the back. Can't wait for the day everyone regrets those.

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Turlington's Lower Back Tattoo Remover

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

I have nothing clever to put here.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:22 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2009, 04:22 PM #45 of 96
Tattoos aren't really more common. You just got older and were exposed to more folks who had obtained them.

I might want a tattoo, not sure, still. After boot camp, it was THE THING to do.

BUT WHAT IN THE HELL is the fascination with tattooing your own fucking name to yourself? Seriously, guys? Are you that absent-minded you forget your name and have to write it down permanently?

Then the other night some girl showed me a pic of her tattoo on her hip. JRR Tolkien's signature. Nerd++. Right.

Another of my buddies from boot camp got the Umbrella Corp logo tattooed onto his upper arm, slightly variant. It looks alright.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...8796c7aaaf.jpg

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:52 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2009, 10:52 PM #46 of 96
Actually, in North America tattoos are much more common, Zeph.

According to Alfred Gell and Demello's books on the subject, in the 50's you were looking at roughly 8% of the US population, and now it's up over 30. So a huge increase, actually.

As anyone who knows me already realises, I'm a huge booster of tattoos. Call it modern tribalism, art, expression, whatever. I've done years of research on them, amassed about 4000 pages of people's personal stories concerning their own work, and an endless supply of stories and experiences from artists. If you have any real interest in this subject, you really should have already read Gell and Demello, but if you haven't, do yourself the favour.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:43 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2009, 10:43 AM #47 of 96
Spit's better than lube mosttimes.

Quote:
And also: I think you missed the vital historical information in the "so British I'm French" comment. And I'm only a 3rd generation American. My great grandfather came over at the end of the 1800s.
I didn't miss the historical information, I treated the comment with the same disdain I reserve for every American who says they're Irish or Italian or French or anything other than American. You can call yourself British or French or fucking Zulu if you want to but if your grandparents were born in America, you're American and nothing else. That's how the rest of the world sees you and frankly that's how the passport office and an embassy would see you.

I'll never understand why if you ask pretty much any American what their heritage is they'll never say American and instead list off a bunch of different European nations neither they nor their parents of grandparents ever set foot in but that's a discussion for another thread.

I think more people have tattoos now as it's far more socially acceptable. As LeHah said in his post from the 19th Century, once upon a time tattoos in Western society were the preserve of sailors and the like or even the mark of being a criminal. It wasn't that long ago that getting a tattoo on your lower arms would preclude you from getting a job where your arms were on show, now very few people give a fuck (Over here anyway, one imagines that in the more loopy bible bashing parts of the world the stigma pervades).

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:42 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2009, 03:42 AM #48 of 96
I didn't miss the historical information, I treated the comment with the same disdain I reserve for every American who says they're Irish or Italian or French or anything other than American. You can call yourself British or French or fucking Zulu if you want to but if your grandparents were born in America, you're American and nothing else. That's how the rest of the world sees you and frankly that's how the passport office and an embassy would see you.
Just want to clear something up: Are you talking about Americans who say their nationality is Irish, Italian, French etc., or their ethnicity?

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:24 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2009, 12:24 PM #49 of 96
Both confuse me to be honest. I guess it's primarily because people in Europe don't talk about their ethnicity in terms of nations. You'd never hear anyone over here describe themselves as Welsh stock, ever. They'd say they were Welsh, because they or their parents come from Wales (Which would technically make them English as it happens) but other than that, people over here think of themselves far more broadly in terms of ethnicity than Americans do. You're pretty much Scandinavian (Blonde or ginger, pale skin), Northern European (What Wvlf is calling Welsh, Dark hair, pale skin), Eastern European (Dark hair, kinda mongy looking) or Mediteranean (Dark hair, dark skin) or more likely a huge mix of everything. In fact people never refer to their ethnicity at all, the place of one's birth is far more important to people here than where your ancestors may or may not have come from.

I suspect that's mainly to do with the huge amount of emigration that goes on over here, the far wider mix of ethnic backgrounds in general, the much greater mingling of ethnicities here compared to the US, the centuries of wars providing deeply ingrained national hatreds and hilariously fluid borders and the fact that America is a very, very young nation. The concept of being "American" didn't even exist a couple of hundred years ago and one can understand how the religious nuts and criminals who populated the place would have struggled to find a collective identity once ties with Europe were fully broken.

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just a weird concept for a European (Or at least all the Europeans I ever discussed it with) and even most second generation Indian or Pakistani or Jamaican immigrants here would call themselves British if you asked them. Obviously they know where there families are from but the question "Where are you from" evokes a nationality response here rather than an ethnicity one you'd expect from a Merkin.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:02 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2009, 09:02 AM #50 of 96
I think it's because a lot of America's history is tied to its immigration. It's actually pretty neat to know which parts of the world your family is from, and how they all got to America. For example, on my mom's side they've been in America since Virginia was considered frontier, and at one point were massacred by Native Americans. My dad's side, on the other hand, came from Poland and Russia through Ellis Island within the last 100 years.

(And, for the record, when people as where my family's from I say New York and Virginia. And I'm a Pennsylvanian.)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Tattoos where do you stand?