Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 08:08 PM #126 of 336
She's pretty cute (violent?) in the novels, too:

Quote:
I had a brief moment of peace, before my sister, under my mom's orders to call me down for dinner, attacked me with her deadly elbow strike.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume2_Chapter3

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:45 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 09:45 PM #127 of 336
Anyways, I just finished up watching the last episode, after going on a gaming spree/anime-fasting for about a week. Very bizzare ending, yet enjoyable at the same time. It wasn't really how I expected it to end, but giving the "Snow White"/"Sleeping Beauty" was already a giant clue smack dab right there.

Also, Haruhi's spotting for the ENOZ lead singer in Episode 12 was HOLY FUCK!

Yup, that pretty much summed up my intial reaction right there

At first, my impression was the same as the audience, what the fuck is she doing? Omg, someone get her off stage right now. But I have to say that was some pretty amazing stuff, I'm watching this right now. Must....get....OST....

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Jul 16, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:11 PM #128 of 336
I love this series. The humour, the concept and the characters are all great. It's also interesting how it was released in anachronical order, yet you would need to put them together in chronological order in order to see everything fall in organized place. You don't even need to do that in order to like it though haha. Nagato is my favourite character.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 12:23 PM #129 of 336
Sooooooooooooo is there another series coming out of this? The novels are many in number and some loose ends need to be tied up that were shown in the anime (ie: talking cat (first ep) that is addressed later in the books).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:49 PM #130 of 336
^^ I doubt it, but it's possible. Maybe the popularity of the Anime will launch a second season, hopefully. They have so much more to show, but you know how it is with books and Anime series. It's sort of the same thing with the Excel Saga Anime series and Manga series.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Taletha
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11389

Level 1.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:07 PM #131 of 336
I'm up to episode 10 in this hilarious anime and, like others (I'm guessing), am saddened at the fact that it's only 14 episodes long. I really like the OP/ED, especially the ending, I mean, who doesn't love dancing? Does anyone know if there is an OST for this anime? I've been looking, but have only found character singles.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 11:19 PM #132 of 336
http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=129362

I think one of these is *the* OST ;O One of the first few listed, I'm thinkin'.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:51 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 09:51 PM #133 of 336
A soundtrack for the series has not been released yet. That torrent is pretty much an assortment of everything else, though -- character singles, OP/ED, music used in episode 1, radio drama, etc.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:23 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 01:23 PM #134 of 336
There probably won't be a formal soundtrack released. It looks like they're going the Shuffle! route -- releasing bits of the soundtrack in bonus CDs included with the individual DVDs.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 08:33 AM #135 of 336
MOAR MONEYS, eh? ;_; I was hoping to snag some of the BGM's. Ah well.

FELIPE NO

Taletha
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11389

Level 1.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:33 PM #136 of 336
Yeah, I wanted the BGM's as well. Like the ones in Azumanga Daioh, I really liked those.

Roku
Looking towards a better tomorrow

Member 1255

Level 10.12

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:03 AM #137 of 336
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/view/60814

Anyone have confirmations? Can we celebrate?

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:00 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 08:00 AM #138 of 336
If you read 4chan, or even the comments on the page you linked, you would have known that this isn't confirmation of a second season, just for the second DVD.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sirmackerel
Persona

Member 3968

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:38 PM #139 of 336
Episode 12 of Haruhi was amazing. Haruhi's VA (Aya Hirano) has a pretty nice singing voice... it's too bad her "band" only played two songs.

Memento mori
Cogito, ergo summ
Pense, done je suis,
Remember that you are mortal.

http://www.konamistars.com/konamista...dg8zI6mbHVIXkw
Join the Konami RPG Stars!
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:27 AM Local time: Sep 21, 2006, 11:27 PM #140 of 336
With regards to the cat and the MIKURU BEAM:
Originally Posted by Bigblah
(WARNING: HUEG NOVEL SPOILAR)
Spoiler:
the cat is a perfectly normal specimen, and started talking because Haruhi willed it to happen. Same thing with the MIKURU BEAM (yes, Mikuru really did end up shooting that laser from her eye).
Just to clarify it a little there:
Spoiler:
this is when Mikuru first uses her MIKURU BEAM, not later when you see the crappy special effects. If you remember her first confrontation with Yuki, Mikuru fires the beam but there is a sudden reaction from Kyon, as if he was hit, and the camera blacks out for a second. Then the scene shows Yuki pounce on Mikuru as if she wanted to beat her senseless. It is said somewhere that perhaps Mikuru actually fired a MIKURU BEAM because Haruhi expected her to in the movie. LOL!!

The cat is a stray which Haruhi found and made Kyon adopt, giving it the name "Shamisen". It lives with Kyon and is the playmate of Kyon's little sister who affectionately nicknamed him "Shami". During the filming, he suddenly started talking during an exchange between Yuki and Mikuru, most probably because Haruhi unconsiously wanted him to (though for what reason I'm not too sure since a talking cat wouldn't make much sense right there and then, unless Haruhi thought a witch had to have a talking cat?). You could hear Itsuki in the background telling the cat to stop talking.

This anime series was a great surprise for me. Like many others, I only managed to start seeing the show after the last episode had aired, so was able to watch them all in a short period of time. The order in which they were released was confusing at first, but I just shrugged and watched them as I downloaded them and thought how really cool the show was. Kyon made me laugh the most, since it's usually him who needs to face the eccenticities and absurdities that come in form of Haruhi and her brainstorming.

Oh yes, the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu entry at wikipedia is an awesome source of material on everything Haruhi. It has the episode guide and a trivia link as well which explains some points not obvious in the series but mentioned in the novels, such as when Haruhi asks Kyon if they've met before in episode 2:
Spoiler:
.....they had, in the novels. Not sure of the details myself but apparently Kyon has timetravelled to 3 years prior to starting High School to meet with Haruhi. He used the false name John Smith.

Something else to think about.....
Spoiler:
Quote:
From SOSdan wiki:
There are two date-related lines in episode 2; "In the process, we reached the first day after Golden Week." and "So that makes today Wednesday." Considering "the first day after Golden Week" is May 6th that is Wednesday, the year of the story is estimated as 2009, thus "Three years before" is 2006. The anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya became a big boom in 2006, and we actually saw the "information flare" caused by Haruhi Suzumiya on the net (like this page or Youtube, for example).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)

Last edited by hikarub; Sep 21, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 03:10 AM #141 of 336
Just wondering if anyone is following the novel translations? (I know Saka and Acer are). So far the stories have been truly memorable, and occassionally hilarious as well. Most of the stories are covered one way or another in the anime, but some of them clearly explain details you never thought about before but knew were there. Other volumes are great too.

I'm dying to get through volume 4 but they're still in the process of translating the story (chapter 3 is still only 96% done, and there are still another 3 chapters to go!) This has got to be the best story so far, "The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya".

Any thoughts?

Sar
lvl 40 Clown-Mage

Member 8038

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:29 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 12:29 PM #142 of 336
Moon Phase reports that new episodes of this series are scheduled for next fall. [ link ]

Quiksilva

Member 10564

Level 2.50

Aug 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:11 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 11:11 PM #143 of 336
Hah. Awesome. I've watched this series pretty much like, 10 times already. Can't get enough of Yuki's 'bogus' magic. Thanks for the news.

FELIPE NO
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:32 AM #144 of 336
Next fall is too long of a time..... You could buy the series on DVD more than 200 times by then. Although, I wouldn't know what to do with 200 sets of DVDs....

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:11 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 11:11 PM #145 of 336
Taking this news with a grain of salt, since there's already been a false alarm before.

I'd wait for confirmation from KyoAni themselves.

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:28 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 10:28 AM #146 of 336
So, as many of you may know by now, an 'official' English page for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has been put up. In addition, ads have shown up on ANN and Anime on DVD. It's probably been licensed, and if the page is correct, we'll find out who (or we find out something) on December 22nd.

What makes all this even more suspicious is that the Japanese page for the show, http://www.haruhi.tv/, supposedly went down on December 18th.

You can still access Nagato Yuki's page.

Spoiler:
You can still access Nagato Yuki's page, though. People are speculating that is has something to do with what happened in the novels on December 18...

Most amazing jew boots

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:48 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 10:48 PM #147 of 336
Awesome, that English page for Haruhi even has the EUC-JP encoded "secret message" in the HTML source, just like the original website.

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:18 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 11:18 PM #148 of 336
Originally Posted by Kesubei
Spoiler:
You can still access Nagato Yuki's page, though. People are speculating that is has something to do with what happened in the novels on December 18...
Since you mentioned something is happening on Dec 22nd (as per the english website), I'd think you were right. After all, according to the novels, from Dec 18th....
Spoiler:
....everything was fixed and back to normal 3 days later, thanks to Kyon, Mikuru and Yuki's intervention.

Volume 4 of the novels was pretty good, and the event of December 18 is taken directly from this volume. Volume 5 was also good and I hope volume 6 will be finished soon. I just started reading the first few bits of volume 7 and volume 8 as well. Good thing the novels (like the anime) are not really in any chronological order so reading different bits doesn't spoil anything.

Suzumiya Haruhi rocks!!

Most amazing jew boots
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 12:11 PM #149 of 336
I can understand the English page, but why tamper with the Japanese page? Perhaps a second season is going to be announced?

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:22 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2006, 01:22 PM #150 of 336
Well, I remember reading in Wikipedia (or the SOSdan wiki) that when episode 8 "Mysterique Sign" was aired, the Japanese website changed to mimic what happened in that episode.
Spoiler:
.....the SOSdan insignia Haruhi made and Kyon added to the website became all fuzzy looking in the episode, and on the actual website too. Only afterwards did it change back. I read that looking at or changing the code causes the message "data corrected by Nagato Yuki" to appear somewhere on that page as well.

There is still speculation that a second season is coming. Whether it's true or not, the SOS Brigade website going down on Dec 18 looks really fishy. Afterall....
Spoiler:
.....there wouldn't be a website if there wasn't an SOSdan in the first place.

For those of you not in the know, please read volume 4 of the novels found here.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized that "3 days after December 18th" would actually be Decemeber 21st!!

D'Oh!!!

Last edited by hikarub; Dec 20, 2006 at 12:41 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya