Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:59 PM #51 of 95
I want to belive in the idea of Kicking reason to the curb, but Simon just gives up even after the impossible was presented to him.

Actauly, if the show ended without Hobo-Simon, I could of just about bought it.
Oh quit BAAAWWWWWing about it and just accept that it wasn't even that bad of an ending (it's excellent in terms of Gainax endings.) It's not that hard to figure out the symbolism of the ending, fuck, even /a/ figured it out a few hours after it ended.

You just wanted it to end all happy-go-lucky-everyone-is-hunky-dory and wanted to see some hot hot Simon on Nia action.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:53 PM #52 of 95
Oh quit BAAAWWWWWing about it and just accept that it wasn't even that bad of an ending (it's excellent in terms of Gainax endings.) It's not that hard to figure out the symbolism of the ending, fuck, even /a/ figured it out a few hours after it ended.
But not without a major shitstorm, bloating the GL sticking to 1000+ replies. Seems like some folks were desperately clinging onto GARlock from that first part in episode one
Spoiler:
even though it was already shown to be an alternate reality
. But I agree, thank goodness we didn't get a mindfuck or CONGRATULATIONS ending.

Quote:
You just wanted it to end all happy-go-lucky-everyone-is-hunky-dory and wanted to see some hot hot Simon on Nia action.
Now that kind of ending would've been lackluster, and extremely predictable.

How ya doing, buddy?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Dave1988
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN-LAGANN!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

Member 13074

Level 7.71

Sep 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:03 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 01:03 AM #53 of 95

I'd agree if it was done by any other studio. Here, however, this is not the case. I have yet to see GAINAX do a truly good ending.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:15 PM #54 of 95
I'd agree if it was done by any other studio. Here, however, this is not the case. I have yet to see GAINAX do a truly good ending.
That's because they're the masters of epic fail, so just getting something like the ending Merv thought up would be satisfactory from them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:05 PM #55 of 95
But not without a major shitstorm, bloating the GL sticking to 1000+ replies. Seems like some folks were desperately clinging onto GARlock from that first part in episode one
Spoiler:
even though it was already shown to be an alternate reality
. But I agree, thank goodness we didn't get a mindfuck or CONGRATULATIONS ending.
Yeah, but I'm thankful that within that 1000 post shitstorm, a good chunk of people got it in their heads. What I'm not thankful for is the shitheads making 500 threads about the ending when there's clearly a sticky to read through.

Quote:
I dunno, I couldn't have been the only person who thought that just maybe, Simon was giving Nia hot dickings while she was sitting on his lap nearly nude in the Gurren Lagann.

Spoiler:
"Hey Gimmy, take the keys to the Gurren-Lagann. I hope you get about as much action as I did in there!"

Also, still can't wait until I get the soundtrack. FLAC rip comin' mid-October. Better have a working bittorrent tracker by then, Bigblah.

FELIPE NO
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:42 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 07:42 AM #56 of 95
You know, what part of "If it had stoped at Simon leaving I'd buy it" did you not understand?

You know, he throws his cape and leaves? That would of been the perfect stop point. The final time skip was unessasary and struck me as a poor way of epiloging it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:33 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 10:33 AM #57 of 95
The ending was fine. Simon did would he set out to do and now it's up to the rest of humanity to guide themselves. While it's still a bittersweet ending, it left enough open to provide room for a possible OVA. I honestly hope they don't bring about a sequel television series.

The only things that I'm looking forward to now are a possible Lord Genome OVA or a GARLock one with Simon hopelessly fighting off billions of enemies at once.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roku
Looking towards a better tomorrow

Member 1255

Level 10.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:45 PM #58 of 95
If the idea of this ending was about self-restraint, it did it in the most heartbreaking way

Spoiler:

So that first episode was about what'd happen if Simon abused his powers? Or rather if he just kept on as leader? Didn't he say he'd see to it himself that the Spiral Nemesis would not occur? Why did he resign himself from the world and seemingly abandon all responsibilities?

Throughout the series they were just emphasizing how if you believe in yourself and try hard, you can achieve anything, even the impossible.. Yet here is Simon giving up and becoming a wandering "nobody" at the end... Is it right to show this kind of ending, of somebody breaking and giving up in life, after such high spirits throughout the series? It was all about overcoming life's obstacles, and it seems that it ended with Simon unable to come to terms with this last one...

It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to think that somebody like Simon became so resigned and insignificant after all that he had done for the world. If it was to show he was sacrificing himself to prevent the Spiral Nemesis, it did so in the most sad and discouraging way I can imagine.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:51 PM #59 of 95
If the idea of this ending was about self-restraint, it did it in the most heartbreaking way

Spoiler:

So that first episode was about what'd happen if Simon abused his powers? Or rather if he just kept on as leader? Didn't he say he'd see to it himself that the Spiral Nemesis would not occur? Why did he resign himself from the world and seemingly abandon all responsibilities?

Throughout the series they were just emphasizing how if you believe in yourself and try hard, you can achieve anything, even the impossible.. Yet here is Simon giving up and becoming a wandering "nobody" at the end... Is it right to show this kind of ending, of somebody breaking and giving up in life, after such high spirits throughout the series? It was all about overcoming life's obstacles, and it seems that it ended with Simon unable to come to terms with this last one...

It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to think that somebody like Simon became so resigned and insignificant after all that he had done for the world. If it was to show he was sacrificing himself to prevent the Spiral Nemesis, it did so in the most sad and discouraging way I can imagine.
Spoiler:
You're getting it completely wrong. It's clearly shown that Simon isn't "giving up," he's resigning himself to the position he knows where he belongs.

He says "I'm a driller," meaning he will lead only to create the path, but when the time comes, will stop being the leader to allow those who are more suited lead. It's the exact opposite of not coming to terms , it is coming to terms with who he really is. Sure, he may not get the fame and fortune we'd like to see him get, but it's clearly not what he really wanted. He wanted to stand up when it was necessary, and then back down.

I think the problem is, people aren't thinking about the ending seriously, something I can understand. I mean, you have this mostly non-serious show, with an ending that is deeper than most of the entire show, so it's easy to just see the ending as what it is, rather than what it's supposed to be.

Dave1988

Member 13074

Level 7.71

Sep 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:32 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 10:32 PM #60 of 95
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:13 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 10:13 PM #61 of 95
Simply put: Mahoromatic Adventure Zero Two Ending is Mahoromatic Adventure Zeroooooooooooooooo Two ending.

I bought everything up to 8:52, still shows that Simon is unwilling to let the Sprial Nemisis happen just to keep Nia alive but doesn't show him as a down and out who had nothing to show for his (what I can only describe as LEGENDRY amount of) retraint.

Show ended before final time skip and that's where I put my foot down on the matter.

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Oct 2, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 05:52 PM #62 of 95
Simply put: Mahoromatic Adventure Zero Two Ending is Mahoromatic Adventure Zeroooooooooooooooo Two ending.

I bought everything up to 8:52, still shows that Simon is unwilling to let the Sprial Nemisis happen just to keep Nia alive but doesn't show him as a down and out who had nothing to show for his (what I can only describe as LEGENDRY amount of) retraint.

Show ended before final time skip and that's where I put my foot down on the matter.
Ok.

Damn, the OST is pretty good so far.

nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:41 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 07:41 PM #63 of 95
Spoiler:
You're getting it completely wrong. It's clearly shown that Simon isn't "giving up," he's resigning himself to the position he knows where he belongs.

He says "I'm a driller," meaning he will lead only to create the path, but when the time comes, will stop being the leader to allow those who are more suited lead. It's the exact opposite of not coming to terms , it is coming to terms with who he really is. Sure, he may not get the fame and fortune we'd like to see him get, but it's clearly not what he really wanted. He wanted to stand up when it was necessary, and then back down.

I think the problem is, people aren't thinking about the ending seriously, something I can understand. I mean, you have this mostly non-serious show, with an ending that is deeper than most of the entire show, so it's easy to just see the ending as what it is, rather than what it's supposed to be.
I understand what you mean, but at the same time, it's not exactly profound either.

But anyways, about this series. Fuck. I don't really watch anime. I only downloaded the first episode because it was easily accessible on the boards and I wanted to try some video out on my iMac. Somehow it ended up being so entertaining that I finished the entire series. This rarely ahppens.

As for the finale, I came drills etc. etc.

FELIPE NO
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:22 PM #64 of 95
I understand what you mean, but at the same time, it's not exactly profound either.

But anyways, about this series. Fuck. I don't really watch anime. I only downloaded the first episode because it was easily accessible on the boards and I wanted to try some video out on my iMac. Somehow it ended up being so entertaining that I finished the entire series. This rarely ahppens.

As for the finale, I came drills etc. etc.
I suppose, in the end, that's all that really matters.

I mean, ending aside, it was a really enjoyable show and was completely worth it to watch. This is really all I expect out of an anime, or any television show, period: is it entertaining to watch?

Also, I don't even know why I downloaded the soundtrack. I'm only spoiling it for myself. (My lossless rip will also be superior, if only for the fact that I won't use the faggy APE+CUE format, and I'll actually provide scans.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:32 PM #65 of 95
Today I did a marathon of eps 23-27 and I'm left breathless. Everything was just too awesome for words. I believe this will be the epitome of super robot shows for a good long while. It has earned itself a place in the top tier of mech anime equal to that of GaoGaiGar.

I find that the end was fine overall but they just love to tease our emotions with the final outcome of Simon and Nia, but it works very well. I doubt that there will be any sequels but I would hope for an after story manga or Ova of some sort.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roku
Looking towards a better tomorrow

Member 1255

Level 10.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:15 PM #66 of 95
I suppose, in the end, that's all that really matters.

I mean, ending aside, it was a really enjoyable show and was completely worth it to watch. This is really all I expect out of an anime, or any television show, period: is it entertaining to watch?

Also, I don't even know why I downloaded the soundtrack. I'm only spoiling it for myself. (My lossless rip will also be superior, if only for the fact that I won't use the faggy APE+CUE format, and I'll actually provide scans.)
Haha, if you're sharing that, I'll be looking forward to it then :P

I never disputed that it was an amazing anime right up to the ending - every episode had been pure pleasure to watch... which is why the ending was so sad for myself.

Spoiler:
Like all good stories, there could be multiple interpretations to the ending. My view was that Simon had been fighting to go to the heavens all his life - "fighting his destiny", as it were, fighting from being trapped underground. It was all about non-stop progress, going higher and higher - piercing not only the heavens but space time and beyond... unstoppable progress like evolution itself, the basis of Spiral Power. And he did achieve what he set out to do, sundering the heavens and dimensions and all to create a new future for everybody. But in the end he returned to what he started as... a nameless driller. Kind of sad and ironic, no? It went against the entire image of him displayed before - a drill that pierces the heavens, not one content to remain a nobody underground.

Thus my theory was that he became like he was to prevent the Spiral Nemesis.... Because if he had kept going the way he had, using spiral power recklessly, it would lead to destruction of the universe. That's my interpretation of his actions, and I'm still a bit sad - but it makes sense if I think about it that way.

Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:45 PM #67 of 95
I took that and some translations of the soundtracks and fixed the japanese names into english names and did the same for the filenames!

Unless of course that's a different torrent than what i got and i did all my work in vain.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2007, 08:25 AM #68 of 95
Ta-Nicely.

And yeah, I have no problems with the show proper (Iron-man Rossiu aside), But I still rank GGG's and Euraka Seven's ending over GL's (and by saying that I've probably started WW3).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:47 AM #69 of 95
You will suffer ultimate despair

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:34 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2007, 09:34 AM #70 of 95
tell me about it, Izarc isn't extracting two of the files right.

Dave1988

Member 13074

Level 7.71

Sep 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:27 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2007, 12:27 PM #71 of 95
Goddamn it! "Pierce the Heavens with your XXX!" is so beautiful. I came drills.

FELIPE NO
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:36 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2007, 02:36 PM #72 of 95
Yeah, it's a great little ost (though I wonder why they didn't just go with "Drill" instead of XXXX for those track titles, eh, that's logistics for you) and if I could get the second and eleventh tracks to decompress I could get a full idea of my thoughts.

The rap tracks are awesome though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Oct 3, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:27 AM #73 of 95
Euraka Seven's ending over GL's (and by saying that I've probably started WW3).
What. I hope the moon falls on you, heh.

Thanks Ashton for the tagged tracks. Track 204 (A Lament for Kamina's Old Man) is easily one of my favorites, along with Nikopol and the obligatory ROW ROW FIGHT THE NICE BOAT.

Where did you find that anti-spiral and his dis pear?

Most amazing jew boots

Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:46 AM #74 of 95
Another forum =/

I'm pretty sure this show ruined anime for me. Oh i'll definetly go see Kodomo no Jikan and Kiddy Grade 2 and a few other anime, but no anime before ever really had me at the edge of my seat yelling at the screen in excitement. When watching a raw.

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:35 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2007, 05:35 PM #75 of 95
What. I hope the moon falls on you, heh.
I'll etch the unetchasble, [RENTON X EUREKA], Colapse the Uncolapseable [the entire sol universe], RAW RAW, FIGHT-DA-PAWA!

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Oct 3, 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann