Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Rice Krispies" noise in boy's ear turns out to be nesting spiders

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 07:32 PM #1 of 38

Quote:
Sun May 6, 7:05 PM

ALBANY, Oregon (AP) - These guys were not exactly Snap, Crackle and Pop.
ADVERTISEMENT

What began as a faint popping in a 9-year-old boy's ear - "like Rice Krispies" - ended up as an earache, and the doctor's diagnosis was that a pair of spiders made a home in the ear.

"They were walking on my eardrums," Jesse Courtney said.

One of the spiders was still alive after the doctor flushed the fourth-grader's left ear canal. His mother, Diane Courtney, said her son insisted he kept hearing a faint popping in his ear - "like Rice Krispies."

Dr. David Irvine said it looked like the boy had something in his ear when he examined him.

When he irrigated the ear, the first spider came out, dead. The other spider took a second dousing before it emerged, still alive. Both were about the size of a pencil eraser.

Jesse was given the spiders - now both dead - as a souvenir. He has taken them to school and his mother has taken them to work.
Okay, ew. I never knew stuff like that happened in real life. Has anything icky ever happened to you?

How ya doing, buddy?

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 07:43 PM #2 of 38
I remember seeing something like this on Discovery Health about some guy who got a mosquito in his ear. It was alive and was beating on his eardrum. He did eventually go to the doctor's where they killed it, and took it out with some tweezers. And I thought that was a little creepy...

Now this spider story, that tops the cake. Not only one spider, but TWO.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 07:54 PM Local time: May 7, 2007, 05:54 PM 1 #3 of 38
Okay, ew. I never knew stuff like that happened in real life. Has anything icky ever happened to you?
NO, THANK GOD. THIS IS DISGUSTING TO ME ON SO MANY LEVELS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:05 PM #4 of 38
I've heard lots of icky stories over the years, like the woman who swallowed tons of frog eggs while drinking at the pond, and her stomach got really bloated when they hatched, and the story about cockroaches who was living in someone's gums, but they were all eventually turned out to be urban myths.

This story, though, is like a real-life urban myth. Ugh. Luckily nothing this bad has ever happened to me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:10 PM #5 of 38
Ew. That's... almost as bad as the story about the 70 year old man who was living with maggots in his brain. He had a rare cancer that ate away the top of his scalp and skull, but wasnt in any pain, so he never went to the doctor. It was only discovered when he had to go to the hospital after a minor car accident.

If you click this link, please be warned... there are pictures... and they are gross. Not for faint of stomach. Granted, I dont think that applies to much of GFF. Story here...

As for me... I've never had anything like that happen to me... nothing I can think of anyways.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:28 PM #6 of 38
Ugh... I definitely shouldn't have clicked that.

Nasty as hell... <_<

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:38 PM #7 of 38
Such gross things! It almost sounds like it exists as rumour only. Reminds me of the tale of the woman who cut her tongue on an envelope that had remnants of some kind of insect egg on the seal, and then the insects eventually grew inside of her tongue somehow.

How exactly did the spiders get in his ear? Not enough caution during playtime hopefully.

FELIPE NO
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:47 PM Local time: May 7, 2007, 07:47 PM #8 of 38
Pardon my french, but fucking gross. I always heard rumors that spiders crawl into your mouth and die when you're sleeping, but I havent heard anything about ears before.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:50 PM Local time: May 7, 2007, 07:50 PM #9 of 38
Man. This reminded me of an article I saw about chewing your fingernails and how there's extremely tiny insects in there.

Yes, I still do this. I seriously need to get off the habit.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Basil; May 7, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 09:00 PM Local time: May 7, 2007, 08:00 PM #10 of 38
Man. This reminded me of an article I saw about chewing your fingernails and how there's extremely tiny insects in there.

Yes, I still do this. I seriously need to get off the habit.
I know what you mean. I successfully stopped... most of the time. I still bite my nails during soccer games, starcraft games, and finals. Other than that, I've rid myself of the habit.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 09:06 PM #11 of 38
Pardon my french, but fucking gross. I always heard rumors that spiders crawl into your mouth and die when you're sleeping, but I havent heard anything about ears before.
Hey man. Spiders are creatures too. They're just looking for a home! And while you sleep, I am sure anything is possible.

Incidentally, I know someone (I wont share names) who had a notorious roach problem in their house at the time. Fell asleep, woke up, and noticed there was an ear blockage going on, and a strange "tickling." Went to the doctor. Pulled out a cockroach. I'm unsure if it was alive or not when it was removed.

Pretty AWFUL.

As far as maggots growing in places they shouldn't: I was under the impression maggots only eat rotting flesh, and not healthy, live flesh. They actually use them in a medicinal form there days, I hear. To clear out bacteria and shit on wounds. (Saw on Discovery Channel at some point. On the same show, they displayed the benefits leeches still have in circulatory issues.)

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 10:54 PM #12 of 38
And this is why I can not handle shows like Dirty Job's or Medical shows. I mean for Chris'sakes! I can't even handle Disecting a FROG or a COWS EYE let alone this stuff. For Once I'm glad I didn't klick on said link.

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 12:04 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 03:04 PM #13 of 38
Incidentally, I know someone (I wont share names) who had a notorious roach problem in their house at the time. Fell asleep, woke up, and noticed there was an ear blockage going on, and a strange "tickling." Went to the doctor. Pulled out a cockroach. I'm unsure if it was alive or not when it was removed.

Pretty AWFUL.
Oh shit. That freaks me out. I have a fear of cockroaches (I'm not sure if there's an official ~phobia word for it, though), so like I said, that freaks me out o.0". Gross.

As for the spiders, that's gross too, but compared to a cockroach in my ear, I would set up a resort for spiders in my ear. 'Cept for the poisonous ones. They're nasty. The other day, my father was just about to tell me this story but my mother didn't want him to, thinking it would freak me out. I ended up listening to him, and I wasn't shaken. Coincidentally, right after that event, a cockroach was found on the wall of our house. Naturally, I cowered, both due to my fear and the whole eerie event.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 12:24 AM #14 of 38
Wow...
Right after I have an ear infection I read this story. As a matter of fact, my right ear is still plugged up, and I hear that "rice krispie" sound every so often when I swallow.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Matt; May 8, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 12:28 AM Local time: May 7, 2007, 10:28 PM #15 of 38
Man, I've seen a fly get caught in the next door boy's ear once, but two spiders nesting? EWWWWWWW. Needless to say, I'm pretty anal about keeping my own ears clean so this is just beyond disgusting as hell.

FELIPE NO
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 01:25 AM Local time: May 7, 2007, 10:25 PM #16 of 38
Quote:
Jesse was given the spiders - now both dead - as a souvenir.
NO. Fuck that shit. I would not want something like that to remind me of the horror of SPIDERS LIVING INSIDE OF MY HEAD.

Also, I'll never be able to enjoy Rice Krispies like used to ever again. Thanks for that. ;_;

Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 05:59 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 06:59 PM #17 of 38
Sounds like an excerpt out of a horror movie.

I was rather disorientated by the thought of it when I heard it over the radio today. Some way to have a pet, man.

But having the dead spiders as souvenirs shows one's sense of humor, though. I'd keep it in a bottle of those preservation liquids, and show the medical statement right next to it.

Pretty cool to show off, IMO.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 08:39 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 07:39 AM #18 of 38
I saw this on the news earlier and I cringed. I thought that earwax was sort of an insect repellent or something, so I've been wondering if these are super spiders or if the kid's earwax just didn't do its job. I don't have any gross stories like this of my own, but I did know this kid once who was thirteen when the doctor found wax-covered rocks in both of his ears that the kid must have shoved in there when he was young. It's no wonder he had hearing problems for so many years.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 01:28 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 11:28 AM #19 of 38
O_o Saw this in the newpaper this morning. Craaaazy.

Anyway the ickiest thing (that comes to mind right now) is when a centipede crawls up my leg. I usually play video games on the floor in the basement where they tend to show up sometimes. And it happens... hate those things. =/ I also don't understand why they have to climb walls when they can't maintain their grip on them. I see them crawling up sometimes, and then they just fall to the ground. ^^

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 02:09 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 09:09 PM #20 of 38
Nasty?

Apparently you guys haven't heard about the chick who had a headache, and it turned out to be spiders laying eggs inside her brain

The Wulf
Arf

Member 15016

Level 6.05

Nov 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 03:21 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 03:21 PM #21 of 38
I remember reading about that in Lebanon's paper. The Albany Democrat Herald had a longer article (and the story made front page [hurray for local news]).

Ultimately, it only extended details on the family's reaction: the parents freaked, the kid was "uneasy", blahdie blahdie blah... They belive that the spiders got into his ear canal while he was weeding. Apparently he was really ripping weeds up, and dirt was flying. They may have landed in his hair and from their crawled into his ear.

I've been fortunate to never have spiders in my ear, but there has been other foreign objects...

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 04:03 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 03:03 PM #22 of 38
I remember seeing something like this in real life. My little brother, when he was about a year old, kept crying and holding his ear. When my mother finally got him to hold still, we looked in his ear and it just looked really HAIRY in there. She got some tweezers, pulled at the hair, and an extremely hairy, surprisingly large spider crawled out and ran away quickly. Freakiest thing I've ever seen in my life. The spider's body was pretty big by itself, probably the largest it could have been while still being able to fit into his ear, and its legs were all folded up in weird ways. Makes me glad my ears are large but the holes are small.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 04:08 PM #23 of 38
O_o Saw this in the newpaper this morning. Craaaazy.

Anyway the ickiest thing (that comes to mind right now) is when a centipede crawls up my leg. I usually play video games on the floor in the basement where they tend to show up sometimes. And it happens... hate those things. =/ I also don't understand why they have to climb walls when they can't maintain their grip on them. I see them crawling up sometimes, and then they just fall to the ground. ^^
Ugh.. Reminds me of this time I was watching TV... Just chillin' on the couch... All of a sudden I feel something on my leg, and it's fucking cricket. Me, my brother, and cousin (who were there at the time) had no idea how it got inside the house to begin with. It was probably 2 o'clock at night also, and we didn't have any windows or doors open. <_<

Still kinda freaked me out. T_T

FELIPE NO
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 07:35 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 06:35 PM #24 of 38
I thought that earwax was sort of an insect repellent or something, so I've been wondering if these are super spiders or if the kid's earwax just didn't do its job.
More like the mom probably cleaned that kid's ears with Q-tips every day. If that kid had a normal amount of earwax, this story couldn't have been possible; I guarantee it. It's almost sad, because this obsession with cleanliness is why kids today wind up with allergies and asthma.

Also, eww. I feel bad for the kid. The most disgusting thing involving insects that has ever happened to me was drinking some Diet Rite with a moth in it. I took a sip, realized it tasted like ass, and upon pouring it out, saw a moth, one wing ripped off, still squirming about. Yeah, those things taste a million times worse than that awful stench that stays around when you squish them.

Last edited by Max POWER; May 8, 2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Remembered a horrible story
Ceres
Now promoted to 'Dwarf Planet' status

Member 3240

Level 19.81

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 07:50 PM #25 of 38
One time at work last summer, a fly flew into one of my coworker's ears.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > "Rice Krispies" noise in boy's ear turns out to be nesting spiders