Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Random" Japanese.

Mr.Ramen
Chocobo

Member 1260

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:46 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 07:46 PM #26 of 48
why does everyone in this topic have an anime avatar.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 07:50 PM #27 of 48
Boy was a retard back in the day. I'd frequently cuss in Japanese and use it in conversation without realizing how big of an ass I looked. Thankfully that faded in 8th grade (began in 7th) and since then I've still been an anime fan, but I don't worship Japan and it's strangeness like I used to.

I find "random" Japanese annoying and I hope it burns in hell.

Most amazing jew boots
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 06:09 AM #28 of 48
Originally Posted by Ultima
Even if you've studied Japanese for a long time (presuming upwards of 4 years), any respect I may have had for you is nullified by your use of ^_^ faces.
Four years plus now, just for the record. But wow. I lost YOUR respect? And who the fuck are you, again? =)

Why is using "^___^"-smileys so bad, anyway? I kinda use them automatically nowadays from talking to japanese people on MSN.

FUCK YOU, DAMN SMILEY RACIST! t^___-

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate
Honestly, one thing that bothers me that I saw a lot in high school with the cliche... well it's not that I hung out with them but I was friends with friends who liked them so we just knew each other. Anyways they watched anime obsessively and were manga nerds and they would say things in Japanese and not even know what it means or say a phrase that was fine in the situation on the show they got it from but not appropriate when they said it. Then romanji... I got tired of seeing it once I could write in hiragana. I like reading hiragana. It's fun!
Yeah, I hate those guys, too. There's one in particular who has studied the language long enough and should have already realized that talking like an idiot(because whatever some may think, "anime talk" usually isn't appropriate) isn't acceptable. He calls his teachers Omae(お前、very very VERY informal personal pronoun)and spews out all sorts of ancient phrases that shouldn't be used in normal speech. Not cool.

By the way, it's "romaji"(ローマ字), not "romanji".

Originally Posted by Mr.Ramen
why does everyone in this topic have an anime avatar.
If you haven't noticed it already, this can be applied to any and all of the the threads of these forums and isn't limited to this single thread. It's forum of nerds, you see, and I certainly am one of them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Sword Familiar; Dec 5, 2006 at 12:38 AM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:25 AM #29 of 48
Originally Posted by Sword Familiar
Four years plus now, just for the record. But wow. I lost YOUR respect? And who the fuck are you, again? =)

Why is using "^___^"-smileys so bad, anyway? I kinda use them automatically nowadays from talking to japanese people on MSN.

FUCK YOU, DAMN SMILEY RACIST! YEAH! ^___-
Yes, you lost my respect, and as a newer member you shouldn't look to piss off people who have been around longer than you. Remember respect your elders? Judging from your arrogance, you probably are not even very skillful when it comes to Japanese either, although I may be wrong. What level JLPT have you passed?

Furthermore, I'm sorry, but guys using ^_^, >_>, -_-, and all of the anime-related faces is just gay and immature. Its not just you, but every male that does. Girls can, sure, its "cute." Guys don't need to be cute. Hell, even gay guys have masculinity.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:51 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 06:51 AM #30 of 48
Yes, you lost my respect, and as a newer member you shouldn't look to piss off people who have been around longer than you. Remember respect your elders? Judging from your arrogance, you probably are not even very skillful when it comes to Japanese either, although I may be wrong. What level JLPT have you passed?

Furthermore, I'm sorry, but guys using ^_^, >_>, -_-, and all of the anime-related faces is just gay and immature. Its not just you, but every male that does. Girls can, sure, its "cute." Guys don't need to be cute. Hell, even gay guys have masculinity.
It was a joke, man, cool down. (I did use smileys, you know ^__-)

But you're actually doing it. You're pissing me off right now. You're judging who's "older" by the level of my avatar, or what? How do you know how long I've been or not been on these here forums? If you add the levels I had before the crash I should be about level 30+ by now, but I haven't bothered bitching about it because, quite frankly, it doesn't bother me to start over. It's just a number. Maybe the one who should have a little more respect is none other than yourself, hmm?

You can judge my Japanese level from the "Arrogance of my posts"? Hahaha, you're a funny guy, Mr.Ultima. Do you always go around assuming things like this?

For the record, I cleared level 2 of the JLPT, easily, last year and I was going for the JLPT level 1 last sunday, but I had other plans so I couldn't go(which was a pity, since I had already paid the fee). However, majoring Japanese for four years(one year in Gifu, Japan and three years in Lund, Sweden), I have the confidence to say that I outclass MOST on these here forums in the terms of Japanese skills. How long have you studied, again?

And about the smileys: I did not learn them from anime. These are standard(and quite basic forms) of the smileys used by most japanese people(yeah, even university students use them). I'll keep using them for now. I see nothing bad about it at all. If anything I'll use them to defy you. You'll have no respect from me from now on.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Sword Familiar; Dec 5, 2006 at 12:57 AM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:01 AM #31 of 48
Originally Posted by Sword Familiar
It was a joke, man, cool down. (I did use smileys, you know ^__-)

But you're actually doing it. You're pissing me off right now. You're judging who's "older" by the level of my avatar, or what? How do you know how long I've been or not been on these here forums? If you add the levels I had before the crash I should be about level 30+ by now, but I haven't bothered bitching about it because, quite frankly, it doesn't bother me to start over. It's just a number. Maybe the one who should have a little more respect is none other than yourself, hmm?

You can judge my Japanese level from the "Arrogance of my posts"? Hahaha, you're a funny guy, Mr.Ultima. Do you always go around assuming things like this?

For the record, I cleared level 2 of the JLPT, easily, last year and I was going for the JLPT level 1 last sunday, but I had other plans so I couldn't go(which was a pity, since I had already paid the fee). Majoring Japanese for four years(one year in Gifu, Japan and three years in Lund, Sweden), I have the confidence to say that I outclass MOST on these here forums in the terms of Japanese skills. How long have you studied, again?

And about the smileys: I did not learn them from anime. These are standard(and quite basic forms) of the smileys used by most japanese people(yeah, even university students use them). I'll keep using them for now. I see nothing bad about it at all. If anything I'll use them to defy you. You'll have no respect from me from now on.
You came off as arrogant then, you come off as arrogant now. You aren't really doing anything to change that, and until you do, I don't like you. Maybe you are better than everyone else, but don't be a conceited ass and go declaring it to glorify yourself. For your information, I've studied two and a half years in a class in high school, which ended in June. I took the Level 3 JLPT last Sunday with expectations of passing fine. Furthermore I'm younger than your average high school senior. If we're going to be arrogant asses here, I could make a hell of a lot of assumptions about skill and potential, but I won't.

People use emoticons, whatever. If you're using them just to spite me now, I'll have you know I really don't care that much. It just makes me think lower of you, which wouldn't change even if you stopped using them because of your head being so far up your ass.

Also, if you want to get technical, add up my levels from the past crashes and I'm level 50-60 or so.

If you weren't so arrogant, you'd be fine. You also need to know not to take anything anyone says on the internet seriously. Because to be completely honest, I really don't care. I never did. You've been entertaining though!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; Dec 5, 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 07:15 AM #32 of 48
You came off as arrogant then, you come off as arrogant now. You aren't really doing anything to change that
I really don't see I reason as to why I should. You're the one bitching about trivial matters such as "respect for the elderly" or "proper use of emoticons".

Quote:
Maybe you are better than everyone else, but don't be a conceited ass and go declaring it to glorify yourself. For your information, I've studied two and a half years in a class in high school, which ended in June. I took the Level 3 JLPT last Sunday with expectations of passing fine. Furthermore I'm younger than your average high school senior. If we're going to be arrogant asses here, I could make a hell of a lot of assumptions about skill and potential, but I won't.
You're the one who doubted my level in the first place, smartass. If you had read one of my previous posts, though, you might have noticed that I don't, in any way, assume to be an authority on the language, at least not regarding people who are studying the language actively.

"Babel fish Japanese? It looks weird, please stop ^___^. But seriously, I don't really care. I just like to bitch since I've studied Japanese for a long time, but it doesn't make me an expert and certainly not any authority on the subject. ^__^"

Quote:
People use emoticons, whatever. If you're using them just to spite me now, I'll have you know I really don't care that much. It just makes me think lower of you, which wouldn't change even if you stopped using them because of your head being so far up your ass.
Then where is your head?

Quote:
Also, if you want to get technical, add up my levels from the past crashes and I'm level 50-60 or so.
My point being that it doesn't matter to me if you've been here one day or 100 years, you won't earn any respect from me for being an idiot.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 11:50 PM #33 of 48
For the record, although I knew you were joking from the smilies, having my attempt at using Japanese to reply to your comment in Japanese, after having previously stated that I'm an actual student of it (granted, only 1 year in at this point) referred to as "Babel fish Japanese" was a bit insulting.

On the other hand, I really don't see a reason to make such a big deal about this, arguing over who's more mature, who's been here longer, and so on, certainly not on account of my attempting to practice Japanese in this thread (granted, a definite mistake on my part in retrospect).

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Ridan Krad; Dec 5, 2006 at 01:53 AM.
Rat
Rat Q Insatiable

Member 4714

Level 4.40

Apr 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:17 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 01:17 AM #34 of 48
Arrow

Weeaboo piss me off. Liking Japan, Japanese culture, the language, etc. is fine, but goddamn, so many of 'em think that Japan is some holy perfect island with streets flowing with pocky(which is not that good, they really need to expand on their foreign snack intake) and anime.

Besides, most of 'em don't even spell their Japanese properly in ANY form, or use it right in ANY context. They usually only know enough slang, and maybe some common adjectives, to form fragmented Japanglish... or... um.

<_<
>_>

俺は、本当に あいつらが 大嫌いさ。

How ya doing, buddy?
+_+
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:20 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 08:20 AM #35 of 48
Originally Posted by Ridan Krad
For the record, although I knew you were joking from the smilies, having my attempt at using Japanese to reply to your comment in Japanese, after having previously stated that I'm an actual student of it (granted, only 1 year in at this point) referred to as "Babel fish Japanese" was a bit insulting.

On the other hand, I really don't see a reason to make such a big deal about this, arguing over who's more mature, who's been here longer, and so on, certainly not on account of my attempting to practice Japanese in this thread (granted, a definite mistake on my part in retrospect).
It was an insult, albeit a friendly one, or so I thought. I apologize if I in any way offended you by saying it.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Rat
Weeaboo piss me off. Liking Japan, Japanese culture, the language, etc. is fine, but goddamn, so many of 'em think that Japan is some holy perfect island with streets flowing with pocky(which is not that good, they really need to expand on their foreign snack intake) and anime.

Besides, most of 'em don't even spell their Japanese properly in ANY form, or use it right in ANY context. They usually only know enough slang, and maybe some common adjectives, to form fragmented Japanglish... or... um.

<_<
>_>

俺は、本当に あいつらが 大嫌いさ。
俺も、そういう人があまり好きじゃないな。何か、もっと勉強してくれない?うざいよ。って言いたいんだけど 、言ってもちゃんと聞いてくれない気がする。。。まぁ、仕方ないな。そういう人も人間だからさ。ただシカト した方がましかもしれない。

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Sword Familiar; Dec 5, 2006 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 07:16 AM #36 of 48
I like how this Sword Familiar character is the ultimate weeaboo.

Why hasn't he killed himself yet.

Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:17 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 02:17 PM #37 of 48
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
I like how this Sword Familiar character is the ultimate weeaboo.

Why hasn't he killed himself yet.
*hugs*

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:19 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 09:19 PM #38 of 48
学日语有什么特别?我也会打出几句古里古怪的汉字,人家看不懂,难道代表自己有什么特殊本领吗?还有,猜一 猜有多少人分辨不出华语和日语(几乎全部吧)

I am better than all of you because I can write random chicken scratches

Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:39 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 02:39 PM #39 of 48
I'm better than anyone else who thinks they dislike seeing random Japanese, because I haven't even bothered to have my browser support Japanese characters, and I just see a lot of rectangle blocks instead of chicken scratches.

FELIPE NO
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:49 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 07:49 AM #40 of 48
I like how the real point of this thread is less about disdain for people misusing Japanese and more about people using it, period.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:51 PM #41 of 48
なんか憎さ…… There is so much hate going on here.

この悪い気持ちじゃないって思った。でも、言語学の授業で「ランダム・日本語」は妥当な言語……「AAVE 」(イーボニックズ)のようそうです。多分、「コード・スイッチ」ですよね……

(ごめん、実はアタシは日本語をちょっと勉強していました。^^;;)

While I like Ridan Krad's point... I asked for opinions so I guess I'm getting them... @_@

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rat
Rat Q Insatiable

Member 4714

Level 4.40

Apr 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 05:57 PM #42 of 48
Arrow

In truth, I am actually studying Japanese as my major. :P That's why I get pissed at all these kids who have an idealistic view of Japan. I met a bunch of those in Japanese class, the type that think learning kanji is too hard, so they quit after the first year.

It's a shame I'm outta practice though. :/

There's nowhere I can't reach.
+_+
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 06:09 PM #43 of 48
I feel it depends on the context and if the words have been accepted in mainstream English. Words like sushi sound fine because they're already in vernacular speech.

In other words, I'd feel equally stupid if I said "Oh, that girl is so kawaii" as if I said "Oh, this little rice cake with a piddly piece of raw fish is so delicious dabbed with that spicy greenish horseradish paste."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 10:22 AM #44 of 48
Using random Japanese is still stupid. If you're gonna use Japanese, you should either be in a Japanese environment or with Japanese-speaking individuals, wherein using the Japanese language will make a lot sense.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 08:26 PM #45 of 48
I think it's just pretentious. The same as if I started dropping random french or italian into conversation just so I could seem, I don't know, worldly to the people around me. It makes you come off either as pathetic or arrogant. Either way, it's not a good approach.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:35 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 06:35 AM #46 of 48
Just using it around your friends as an esoteric act is acceptable, especially if you're all into it. But if you're using it to someone who doesn't know what it means it's just pathetic. It's like saying "lol" in real life(pathetic even as an esoteric act). Also, I'm not very fond of incorrect usage due to fandom, as in the case of Japan/ese. It just sounds silly when people are trying to make others believe they can use a language they really don't comprehend.

scribe
vintage forever

Member 7568

Level 4.94

May 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:42 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 11:42 AM #47 of 48
snag is whatever the hype is people will follow. if they are politically correct with their language it is a different matter and we can hate them all we want but these people won't change.

speaking a different language is nothing special. knowing when and how to speak it is great. ie political discussions in foreign languages.

it really is annoying when people go around adding -chan, -kun. and randomly dropping the common annoying anime words.

i've studied basic jap for a semester and its a bit easy memorizing the katakana and hiragana, it's just a bit hard to read as fast as i would like. practice i guess.

i speak basic sentences of japanese in the right contexts, basically just practicing what i learned. use it or lose it.

that being said, does anyone here have links to sample jlpt level x tests? i'd like to give them a whirl. also with chinese proficiency tests as well

thanks

really funny though when a friend of mine, who also took up basic jap pointed at me accusingly and said (after declaring that he had enjoyed his first day in jap class) watashi wa gay des!

hahaha

chicken scratch post is chinese lol. yeah i can tell apart jap from chinese mcnugget

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by scribe; Dec 14, 2006 at 11:15 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > "Random" Japanese.