Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

Van
CYBERSIX

Member 1454

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:33 PM #1 of 87

The Vision of Escaflowne (AKA Tenkuu no Escaflowne)

Type:Anime
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance
Format: 26 half-hour episodes
Setting: Fantasy

Story:
Hitomi Kanzaki is a typical high school girl, with all the regular high school problems. But when a vision of a young man battling a dragon becomes a reality, her life changes forever. Drawn into a strange vortex with the swordsman, Van, Hitomi is thrust into the strange world of Gaia.

Entangled in a struggle over life and death, Van must learn to master the suit of armor, Escaflowne. Chased by the Empire of Zaibach, Van and Hitomi will encounter both allies and enemies in an effort to unlock the secrets within Escaflowne.

Personal Views:
Before Escaflowne, I could have been described as a passing fan of anime. I had seen Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and of course the original Gundam "film." Vision of Escaflowne however, turned me on to conciously searching out the newest works coming out of Japan, and I've been a fan of anime and manga ever since.

In a word, this series is beautiful. The characters will grab you instantly, and the story will hold your attention all the way through to the end. Few of the episodes are self-contained, often ending on a cliffhanger of some sort. This is due to the fact that the series as a whole was shortened, but the result is a pacing that could easily have you going through the whole thing in one marathon session. It's that gripping.

The anime itself has it all. The action scenes featuring both mecha and man are well-choreographed, and exciting to watch. The battle which is waged in the second epsiode between a certain bastard-sword-wielding-badass will have you putting your fist to your mouth in excited awe. The characters are all likeable in their own way, and despite the rushed feel of the show in some areas, are all fleshed out very capably. These aren't your simple two-dimensional archetypes found all to often in anime. Its the romantic aspect the show that will make this one a memorable experience though. I'm not much for the mushy stuff usually, but Escaflowne came to me at a time in my life where it struck all the right chords, and the story stays close to my heart to this day because of that.

Animation of the series is fluid and budgeted accordingly. There's plenty of motion where there needs to be, demonstrating that this isn't a manga set to motion, but an anime first and foremost. Nobuteru Yuki's character designs seem to have a love it or hate it air about them, but the style used here is one I'm very fond of, and often mimic when I pull out my sketch pad. Conversely, I've never heard debate concerning the mecha designs. Koji Sugiura and company did a nice job of blending the mechanical with the fantastic in this series, creating suits that were nice to look at, and believable enough for them not to get in the way of the story.

On the sound front, there's little not to like. Maaya Sakamoto remains one of my favorite seiyuu, and in her debut performance as Hitomi Kanzaki she delivers a memorable role that doesn't come off as whiney or weak, but rather frightened and strong. She creates a character that you instantly feel, worry, and hope for. Tomokazu Seki isn't quite on her level for me, but delivers a strong performance as well. Also worthy of note is Minami Takayama, who's performance as Dilandau is one of the most memorable in anime history as far as I'm concerned. Her shriek is chill-inducing. And I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't give credit to the English vocal cast as well. They all put in a good effort, and I've no problem with watching this series in my native tongue, something I actually prefer to do when the track is good.

But it doesn't end with the performances of the cast. The music here is done by the one and only Yoko Kanno. The mere mention of this woman's name will draw me to an anime I know absolutely nothing about, and the soundtrack here is her best work as far I'm concerned. If you aren't blown away by "Dance of Curse" and "Chain," there's something wrong with your hearing.

I could go on and on about this series. I love all the characters here; the brave, yet confused Hitomi; the brash, though well-intentioned Van; the loveable, if a bit overbearing Merle; the heroic Allen; the twisted Dilandau; there's someone here for everyone to root for. The twists and turns the plot takes will have you wanting to watch it again and again. The story itself will urge you to share it with your friends, anime fans or not. The beautiful and enchanting melodies littered throughout will have you importing the soundtracks in no time, and the look will have you scouring eBay for the art books.

The Vision of Escaflowne is a series that captured my imagination for its countless strong points, and few, if even present weak points. My fanship of anime as a whole stems largely from this show, and I would recommend it to anyone who even has a passing interest in the medium. It's being rereleased in April for an MSRP of $50, and I would urge anyone not to rent, not download, but to buy this series. It's one any otaku should be proud to have on their shelf. It continues to be my favorite series of all time, and I can't imagine anything ever taking its place. 10/10. See it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations