Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The hardest language in the world?

Oric
Syklis Green

Member 1787

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:50 PM #76 of 103
Originally Posted by Phoque le PQ
they have THREE genders
Swahili has eight.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eq2d
SNK Neo*Geo Freak...

Member 12802

Level 3.20

Sep 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 02:19 AM #77 of 103
The hardest? Chinese!
But try translate this:
"Macie wyjebiste forum i naprawde kurewsko milo jest znalesc tyle zdrowo, pozytywnie pojebanych ludzi"
This is polish - really hard to understand langue

I was speaking idiomatically.
ruixiong89
clairvoyance

Member 8166

Level 3.31

Jun 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 02:42 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2006, 03:42 PM #78 of 103
Yar, I think Polish is difficult. German seems rather difficult too? I don't know, you combine words together to get a very long word!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
eq2d
SNK Neo*Geo Freak...

Member 12802

Level 3.20

Sep 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 03:27 AM #79 of 103
Yup! Like swedish. German it's really simple. But polish...fuck..i hate this langue :-/

FELIPE NO
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 04:02 AM #80 of 103
Originally Posted by Silv
English. So many spellings of the same words and yet they mean different things to confuse those that wish to learn it. However, I will also put forward one language that is not native to me and I have had trouble learning; Cantonese. Been told that I can manage the "sing-song" dialect well but I find it difficult to remember all the different tones.

I agree with you. English is my native language, and I think it has to be one of the more difficult languages around.

I was taught that "English likes to be succinct." So, can someone tell me why a language that's supposed to be succinct have so many words for the same concept?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 01:18 PM Local time: Oct 3, 2006, 01:18 PM #81 of 103
Since I speak English, I can really never understand how hard it is to learn. All I know is people have difficulty with it.

for me however, I find Mandarin very hard.... With all the pronounciations and how the tongue works and all that stuff.... I have to practice a lot to get the right articulation. I find the reason its hard for me is because when I speak English, I am very articulate with t's and s's etc., but in mandarin, everything seems to slur a little more.

I know much more Korean, partly because I have a better and easier time pronouncing and understanding.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 07:30 AM #82 of 103
Mandarine[sp?] (Chinese something)

My god, if you breath differently a different word comes out !

There's nowhere I can't reach.
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:54 PM #83 of 103
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Mandarine[sp?] (Chinese something)

My god, if you breath differently a different word comes out !
Mandarin, lol. And it's actually really easy because they have pinyin. Much easier than other dialects which don't have pinyin at least.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
[RIGHT]
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:11 AM #84 of 103
I would say English, French, and Japanese. These are the 3 official languages of the Winter Olympics for a reason.

[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 03:10 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2006, 01:10 AM #85 of 103
I'm going to be different and just say the hardest language in the world is Mathematics. It's just difficult for me to master completely and I know for a fact that I never will.

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 04:14 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2006, 09:14 PM #86 of 103
Japanese is real easy compared to others; pronunciation ain't a real factor. I agree with French and Cantonese being hard to learn (note I'm not talking about those who picked them up at the prime years of pre-teen!) But for me I find anyone who can fluently speak Tamil with only having picked it up late, is truly a legend.

Most amazing jew boots
Chairman Kaga
ALL ABOARD!

Member 592

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 04:48 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2006, 07:48 PM #87 of 103
I was told Japanese was the hardest language. Of course, it was a Japanese and his English speaking gf who told me. Go figure.

I never thought of Hungarian being one of the hardest - my dad was born in Hungary. Too bad I don't know a lick of the language.

FELIPE NO
Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 08:04 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2006, 03:04 PM #88 of 103
Seriously, English is a breeze. It's very easy to learn, much less complex than any other language I know, but more concise than German for example. At times it's not very coherent when it comes to pronunciation (verdict / indictment; awful / awry; etc.), but neither is German, so... *shrug* Many years ago I tried to get a grasp of Irish Gaelic. Beautiful, beautiful language, but hard as hell to learn. Needless to say, I gave up pretty soon.

Originally Posted by ruixiong89
Yar, I think Polish is difficult. German seems rather difficult too? I don't know, you combine words together to get a very long word!
Correct. Our longest (and best-known) word would be Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänskajüt entürschlossschlüssel

Zorro

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
jechtsphere
Fox

Member 13570

Level 1.73

Oct 2006

Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:09 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2006, 11:09 AM #89 of 103
They all are hard to learn to me since I know none but my g/f is well versed in Spanish and Polish, she is Polish but was born in America and decided she wanted to learn it...she knows bits and pieces of other languages as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
tighro
Tighro

Member 6418

Level 8.94

May 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:00 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 01:00 PM #90 of 103
Smile

Originally Posted by eriol33
Well, what do you think about this? Do you study language a lot? What is the hardest language you ever learn?
They also said to me that hungarian is the hardest language... and maybe because hungarian language has something like 15 declinations of nouns!! At the moment I'm studying russian... even this language is not hard as I thought. Next language I'd like to learn is Japanese... any suggestion? Maybe I will study at first with Pimsleur language course, it helped me a lot aquiring the sound of the language when I was learning Russian at the beginning... and by the way, maybe I have to improve my English

What about creating a forum for languages??

tighro
Tighro

Member 6418

Level 8.94

May 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:07 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 01:07 PM #91 of 103
Did anyone think about Italian? Since it's my native language, ok, it's pretty easy for me... but I think that for foreing people would be difficult, for example, learn all the verbs coniugations, and been able to relate them well to each other. I mean: even speakers on tv do a lot of mistake, for example, in using a verbal form that is "congiuntivo"... let's think about...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 08:41 PM #92 of 103
Originally Posted by tighro
They also said to me that hungarian is the hardest language... and maybe because hungarian language has something like 15 declinations of nouns!! At the moment I'm studying russian... even this language is not hard as I thought. Next language I'd like to learn is Japanese... any suggestion? Maybe I will study at first with Pimsleur language course, it helped me a lot aquiring the sound of the language when I was learning Russian at the beginning... and by the way, maybe I have to improve my English
I agree, Hungarian is one of the hardest language. A friend of mine explaining hungarian grammar once, and it's seemingly beyond my comperhension.
Japanese is much easier than our thought. I have studied it for one year and my progress is quite well, especially when you learn the kanji first before advance any further.
Originally Posted by tighro
What about creating a forum for languages??
I agree, I made a lot of language-related threads in general discussion forum. I think we should have our own language forum

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Mr.Ramen
Chocobo

Member 1260

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 11:16 AM #93 of 103
Yeah, let's get a language folder in here.
And give the food folder a decent name, too.

FergyLawl
Lawler of all Fergys

Member 4899

Level 5.27

Apr 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:50 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 11:50 AM #94 of 103
I haven't tried to learn it, but Hebrew I heard, was pretty hard to leaarn.

Most amazing jew boots
Fergylawl, Lawlfergy, lawl lawl lawl.
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 02:27 PM #95 of 103
I've understood that learning a language that isn't somehow related to your native language is what gets to be difficult. Though this would make it seem like anything that descends from Indo-European means that a French speaking person should be able to pick up Sanskrit a lot easier than someone native to Japan.

Anyway, I think learning something like Old English would be rather hard for someone. As English today has many influences from German, Welsh, Gaelic, Latin, French, and Greek, which has turned it into this very strange broth of words that we speak today. Not stopping me from wanting to take up on it, but I can't study it here in Wyoming. Same with Norwegian. Guess I'll have to go with German, since English is a Germanic language, and I'd be able to make connections with both.

FELIPE NO
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:33 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 09:33 PM #96 of 103
I've only tried to learn one language, so basically I'm going to say French. Damn reflexive bloody verbs >.< Then again, I'm no linguistical genius, so I find any other language other than my mother tongue to be quite a challenge...

So sue me, I'm lazy

tighro
Tighro

Member 6418

Level 8.94

May 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:40 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 01:40 PM #97 of 103
Ok, but then, how to request a forum dedicated to languages?? It would be nice: we could share opinions, suggestions, and even tools that can be useful learning a language...

Most amazing jew boots
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:42 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 06:42 AM #98 of 103
I can see how English would be a hard language for someone of whom it's not ingrained into since birth. :P

There are indeed a LOT of words in the english language that are spelled nearly the same or even have something just as simple as single vowel digits yet mean entirely different things. Another thing I've noticed that is always a constant bone of contention is "it's" and "its". Its a simple easy to make error that a lot of people make - one being a contraction that means "it is" the other being something to denote a thing.

Hell - I know people who've spoken english for years and STILL can't (or won't) get it right.

Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:31 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 03:31 PM #99 of 103
Originally Posted by Dubble
Another thing I've noticed that is always a constant bone of contention is "it's" and "its". Its a simple easy to make error that a lot of people make - one being a contraction that means "it is" the other being something to denote a thing.

Hell - I know people who've spoken english for years and STILL can't (or won't) get it right.
Jesus, just because some people are learning impaired or just don't care about spelling doesn't mean the language is hard. Really, those who have problems with "it's" and "its", "they're" and "their", "would have" and "would of" (my favorite) would have problems with any language whatsoever.

Zorro

Most amazing jew boots
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
xMxEdGaRx
Carob Nut

Member 13752

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:37 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 11:37 AM #100 of 103
it's japanese for sure! I tried to learn but it's very complicated language, especially the handwritting, kanji and etc.

Sou brasileiro com muito orgulho!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > The hardest language in the world?