Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overated/underated anime's

Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:28 AM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 05:28 PM #26 of 81
Overrated: Naruto.

Personally it feels to me that the author doesn't know what he wants it to be. Oh and it really does kinda jump the shark after the Chuunin exam drama llama. It doesn't really hit you in the same way as, say, the Zazuba and Haku bit did.

Underrated: Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo

This anime doesn't get enough love. Also those lousy subbers need to sub this shit and now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
majario
Arin=Sexy+Magic=Super Pangya!

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:38 PM #27 of 81
Naruto is way overrated. I've tried to watch the show but good quality voice acting seems to be lacking especially in the English dubbed version. Even though I say this I'd still be willing to watch the show but the simple fact that Naruto's voice is simply too annoying and the fact that he repeats almost every episode how he will be the greatest hokage is simply unbearable. Oh and also saying believe it after everything he says isn't too inviting either. Maybe I'm too close minded but Naruto's voice actor in the English dubbing is the basis for me not liking the show very much.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 01:26 PM #28 of 81
Originally Posted by XSO
Underrated: Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo

This anime doesn't get enough love. Also those lousy subbers need to sub this shit and now.
You have read my mind...If no one posted it I would have. I mean if it was handled better and released uncut,it could be right up there with Excel Saga and other weird random anime like that if they'd take better care of it. I mean it alredy has a cult following....but not the fansubers, translators, Viz and Toei don't really see it...

Another underrated anime is Stellvia. You don't hear that many things about it, but I found it quite enjoyable when I rented it. Alot of my choices for overrated have alredy been said exsept for Inuyasha (i don't think) I mean it was okay, but then it got sort of redudent...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:26 PM #29 of 81
Under-rated: Gensomaden Saiyuki.

You don't hear about this much. Well, some maybe reconize the word "Saiyuki" (Koreans/Japanese), and as you know the characters/theme is ripped off from the original Chinese novel.

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:21 PM #30 of 81
I dont really care what's overrated. When i see a good anime. I wont brag much about it. The same would go for any other Shounen Jump Manga/Anime since it looks like this whole thread is almost about SJ being overrated..o.o;;.

Underrated : Sci-Fi Harry (2000)

I only think of this to be underrated because it hasn't been licensed or dubbed in the US. Shinsen-Fansubs are working on the series (3 episodes are out). I just discovered this series a few days ago and I love it to death. I think with Shinsen showing some love to this sleeper hit will probably have geneon pick this up and dubbing it sometime in 2007. The story is probably what you have seen in AKIRA,Lain,Texhnolyze,paranoia agent,Death Note and BoogiePop Phantom. I like animes like this cause you dont see much of it nowadays (except for death note). Hope to see more stuff on this. The Opening is catch and addicting ;p.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by chato; Sep 19, 2006 at 08:30 PM.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:45 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 07:45 PM #31 of 81
Grave of the Fireflies is also extremely overrated. The story was a tragic one, but not for the reason that most people cite it for. While the war did create a situation where vagrancy and hardship became a fact of life, it didn't excuse the protagonist's behavior at all. Instead of taking on menial tasks to earn money for food, he opted instead to steal from others in order to feed himself and his sister. Given the amount of labor that was needed to rebuild postwar Japan, you'd think he'd be able to find some form of work. Instead, he makes one bad decision after another, leading to the resolution which did not end well for him or his sister.

There were so many times I wanted to give him a blow to the jaw if at the very least, to knock some sense into him. Why this movie that's pretty much a tale of stupidity gets such praise is beyond me.

Millenium Actress on the other hand needs more exposure. Now that's a stellar example of good storytelling, emotional scenes, and brilliant entwining of the past and present.

FELIPE NO
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 10:29 PM #32 of 81
Grave of the Fireflies is entirely based on a true story. I believe that it's the writer who was the little boy.

Spoiler:
He really did lose his sister, and the way the anime played out is just how he recollected it

Lots of labor doesn't mean large availability of food and such. There was only so much food/money to give out. Also, a child couldn't do anywhere near a full grown man's share of labor.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:22 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 11:22 PM #33 of 81
Underrated: I rarely ever hear anyone talk about Mushishi or Noein.

-Every episode of Mushishi is something different. It really gets into the lives of the various characters and makes the viewer care about them. Not to mention incredible music and a unique premise.

-Noein is underrated for similar reasons. I think a lot of people were turned off by Noein's animation style, but that style fits into the mood and action of the series perfectly.

Overrated: Ghost in the Shell(the movie, SAC, and 2nd GIG)

-Incredible animation and very good music production aren't everything. Having an understandable storyline that doesn't need a dictionary is just as important. While the actual plot of the show is quite good I'm lost as to why the characters are so underdeveloped. Even so I still consider the television series a favorite, but it's not one of the best anime ever.

Overrated/Underrated: Neon Genesis Evangelion

-While the show is massively popular and one of the most successful anime shows on DVD it generally gets a bad rap by the "hardcore anime fans." It seems those who first watched it near it's initial release time are fans; while those who saw it after the fanfare dislike it. Personally, I find it to be a great anime with a thought provoking storyline and deep characters. At the same time I do not think that it deserves to be held up on a pedastal as the greatest ever. Nothing is the greatest ever in any form of entertainment. If the viewer related to the characters and appreciated the complex and at times unneeded philisophical refrences then they most likely love Eva. If they didn't they think it's garbage.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Foshi; Sep 19, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
Cobra
One day...

Member 1101

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:53 AM #34 of 81
Underrated : Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Almost unknown, this OVA series is one of the best ever made to date. The original character design, the wise scenario, and the last fight VS one of the best villain ever created, everything is so damn gorgeous.

CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:09 AM 1 #35 of 81
Underrated: I'd say Hanbun no Tuski ga Noboru Sora along with Shinigami no Ballad. Those two held great stories, though it seems to be mistaken for a drama(techincally it is..).

Overrated: Naruto, nuff' said. I did like bleach for a bit, until it went mainstream..

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:49 AM #36 of 81
Midori No Hibi isn't getting enough love. It has a wierd premise but the show is funny and not what I was expecting. Definitly worth checking out.
I also feel that Noein isn't getting much recognition. It was awsome and a bit confusing. The animation in the fukuro fight was like something totally different, like it was ripped out streight from a manga.
I honestly don't know if noein has a manga but I wouldn't compare it if it did since this is "Overated/underated ANIME's"
Comparing an anime to its manga counter part is not fair I think since manga's are usually better. Like GTO, great series, awsome manga.
Anime is just suppose to be enjoyed as a different view anyway.

New Record!
insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:05 PM #37 of 81
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Grave of the Fireflies is entirely based on a true story. I believe that it's the writer who was the little boy.

Spoiler:
He really did lose his sister, and the way the anime played out is just how he recollected it

Lots of labor doesn't mean large availability of food and such. There was only so much food/money to give out. Also, a child couldn't do anywhere near a full grown man's share of labor.
The only prob i had with grave of the fireflyes is that i think he should have sucked it up and live with his aunt for the time been.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:27 PM #38 of 81
Well, the kids' father is in the IJN; presumably the boy was instilled with a proud military tradition since his birth. He was too proud to just suck it up and live under his relatives. It's tragic because he really doesn't know any better.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:27 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 12:27 PM #39 of 81
Overrated:
Neon Genesis isn't exactly a sacred cow anymore, so instead I'll say Rurouni Kenshin. Ultimately what gets it for me is the whole pacifist protagonist angle. It advocates non-lethal force without caring to mention that Kenshin is a demigod, and that if anybody else tried it, they'd be six feet under. The end result is that Kenshin is always having to protect his worthless toadies, and yet nobody gets the idea that his philosophy is entirely unrealistic.

Underrated:
Konjiki no Gash Bell. Yes, I understand it was made for kids, but it's just a fun show with good humor. It's hard to find any of that nowadays.

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:52 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 11:52 AM #40 of 81
I'm surprised not a one of you has mentioned Yakitate!! Japan yet. There's a series that has an off-the-wall sense of humor and is a complete delight to watch.

Yeah... it's about baking bread. So the fuck what? It's fucking awesome!

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 02:40 PM #41 of 81
Another highly underrated show was Turn A Gundam. Despite being a fan of Gundam, that doesn't stop me from understanding that practically every Gundam tv show is atrociously average. Turn A, however, bucked the trend in the best ways possible. Post-Apocalypse, low-tech vs. high-tech, and a protagonist who actually had a good reason to not want to kill anybody.

Perhaps most curious of all, was that not every survivor had a happy ending.

Most highly overrated show of the season is Rozen Maiden. I hate you, Styphon, for this. Friends not anymore. >=/

Most amazing jew boots
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:43 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 05:43 PM #42 of 81
I tried getting into Rozen Maiden, and I hafta agree with Brady. I didn't see the "awesomeness" of the show to be honest =(

Hm. Might try Turn A Gundam. Sound promising. Been wanting to try Yakitate!! Japan for some time too =d

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:56 PM #43 of 81
Overrated:
*sigh* I think I'm with everyone when they say Naruto. Talk to me again once we're out of filler hell and I might, MIGHT, change my mind. Some of the fillers are kinda funny, but most of them just annoy the hell out of me (mostly the ones that don't involve Rock Lee kicking ass). Yet, I still find myself watching the anime, hoping that just one day it'll get back on track to the main story. Then there are people who just enjoy all of the fillers. One thing about the dub...I think I could actually stomach it if they did the following:

1. Get a different voice for Naruto.
2. Don't edit it...that means, if a girl gets punched in the mouth by another girl and blood is supposed to come out, leave it in there.
3. Cussing.
4. For the love of God, kill the "Believe it!"

Underrated:
Sonic X. You should've seen that coming. Now before you say anything, I'm not talking about the "4Kids edited the hell out of" version. I'm talking about the Japanese original uncut version for all 3 seasons. Apparently, people have some issues with there being focus on the "human" interaction with this anime. I really don't have a problem with it at all. Sonic and the gang still get plenty of air time each episode.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Sep 24, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:11 PM #44 of 81
I actually like Naruto (moreso the manga), but then again, I understand it's a kid's show, so I don't expect it to be Absolutely Awesome™! I find it better to tune out other's obsessive praise over series before I get to judge it for myself, less disappointing that way. XD

I'm also easily amused.

I find Evangelion to be overrated for the sole reason of the series boxset saying it was the best anime series evah or whatever. Nothing is perfect, so that really just pissed me off. XD I've never really seen the series, so I can't really make a judgement on the story itself.

Underrated... hmm... I'm gonna choose Magic Users Club, because that's one of my absolutely favorites and I never hear anyone mention it. It's a cute series that mixes a bit of magic, sci-fi and everyday life. Plus it's one of my favorite dubs. Hee.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:24 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 09:24 PM #45 of 81
Quote:
It's a cute series that mixes a bit of magic, sci-fi and everyday life.
Sounds entirely unremarkable.

Most amazing jew boots
JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:30 PM #46 of 81
Originally Posted by Bradylama
Sounds entirely unremarkable.
Personally I think a LOT of anime sounds entirely unremarkable. It's all in the application.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 08:39 PM #47 of 81
I've always felt that Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) was underrated. There were several anime fans I knew who had at least heard of the series, but very few people actually saw it. I was introduced to it after reading a thread from a forum I checked one day, and I was pleased with Juuni Kokki since Fushigi Yuugi (an anime similar to it) left something to be desired.

FELIPE NO
insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:23 AM #48 of 81
Originally Posted by Rydia
I've always felt that Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) was underrated. There were several anime fans I knew who had at least heard of the series, but very few people actually saw it. I was introduced to it after reading a thread from a forum I checked one day, and I was pleased with Juuni Kokki since Fushigi Yuugi (an anime similar to it) left something to be desired.
I totally agree. The first few episodes might get on your nerves but the rest is all good. as for Fushigi Yuugi i have never heard of it.

Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 04:28 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 07:28 PM #49 of 81
An anime I think it's overrated is Tsukihime. I though the show was Ok and that's all, nothing superb about it. I think there's nothing we haven't seen before about the story or the characters. Maybe I think so because I heard so much about it and when I watched I had so much expectations of it and I ended up not liking it that much.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Yarbles
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5247

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 05:51 PM #50 of 81
Absolutely agree about Juuni Kokki. I enjoyed the beggining and every subsequent part. Amazing tale.

However, the most underrated anime over here in America is by far Hokuto No Ken(Fist of the North Star). Just about every martial arts-based anime/manga is somehow descended from Hokuto No Ken, even if it's just a little. Of course, Hokuto No Ken owes something to Mad Max. Great story, great characters, gand by far the most grotesque and interesting fights ever. There's also a prequel manga called Fist of the Blue Sky.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overated/underated anime's