Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] New Evangelion Movies!

Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 05:59 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 06:59 PM #26 of 135
HOLY CRAP THIS IS GREAT NEWS. Finally there will be some aftermath story, which will hopefully explain WTF HAPPENED in the ending of Eva. Also, dammit, I must buy the box set again this time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:07 AM #27 of 135
Originally Posted by Bigblah
What the hell is with Babar? It somehow makes me awesome and I don't even know who he is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babar_the_Elephant

There's a cartoon series as well that I used to watch as a child, and occasionally catch on tv in the mornings here when I forget to go to class.

Far better than Evangelion! >:D

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I <3 Cheryl.
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 07:01 AM #28 of 135
Originally Posted by avanent
While this completely seems to me as a ploy to milk out more money from the fans... I will gladly submit to it.
in?
Of course it is, but that dosent mean that we wont have a quality product that will fit our demands

Originally Posted by avanent
What ever happened to that hollywood project that Weta was involved in?
no idea. i think it stalled until further notice

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Burp
Saving the world... but NOT for free

Member 10186

Level 12.97

Jul 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 08:03 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 10:03 AM #29 of 135
I heard that this movie will be more "lighted" in the story and not so deep as the original Evangelion was... i mean, they said in Newtype that they will "not use hard words", whats with that? i mean, Evangelios IS a deep story.

Whatever, its good news, in a good time because i was sick of too much Evangelion everywhere, its about time now.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Gamercafe.cl: Your source for game news in Spanish.

Last edited by Burp; Sep 8, 2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 08:19 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 02:19 PM #30 of 135
I enjoyed Evangelion as much as the next fan, but I'm still not glad about this pointless milking of the franchise. I find the ending entirely satisfactory, and mostly comprehensible. I can't imagine the new stuff being entirely consistent with the old, and since I didn't think it needed anything more, I won't be buying this, or even downloading it.

I enjoyed Eva, but I'm not really an Eva fan anymore.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 08:29 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 06:29 AM #31 of 135
Babar, LOL. Sorry, Blah, I found that show comical and sad at the same time You've never seen Babar???

On a related note, somehow I'm not 100% surprised about this. After the release of the recent Gunbuster 2 which was made basically 20 years after the original, I didn't doubt Anno would return to Eva in some way, shape, or form. I'm most interested in the mid-series myself, but the 4 movies does sound pretty sweet too.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 08:52 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 01:52 PM #32 of 135
Holy shit ECSTASY TIME. This is totally fantastic and utterly unexpected. I honestly don't give a shit if it's "milking the franchise" - The original had substance, and hell, it's a franchise that's still ripe for expansion. This is going to be great.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:00 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 05:00 PM #33 of 135
Originally Posted by Spatula
I'm most interested in the mid-series myself, but the 4 movies does sound pretty sweet too.
Don't misunderstand. There is no "mid-series" in the works, one of the four movies takes place "mid-series" (while one takes place before the series and two after it, etc). The four movies are the only ones coming out.. though who knows, maybe we'll get an animated OVA of GoS2 at some point <3

That said, a while back I was a bit surprised to find out how much Eva was still being made. These movies are merely a return to animated Eva, but NGE has been going on in manga form for a while now.

Not only Sadamoto's NGE manga (which I think is still being released), but also Girlfriend of Steel 2 (now Angelic Days under license), which I loved, and the Shinji Ikusei Keikaku manga (based on the PC/DC game of the same name), which was very fun too.

Too bad translations for it have been very slow (only two chapters). Seeing the NERV crew (including Gendo) power up the HQ during a blackout by pedaling on exercise bicycles was too hilarious to pass up.

(yes these are official Gainax endorsed series, not doujin)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:36 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 03:36 PM #34 of 135
Originally Posted by Qwarky
(yes these are official Gainax endorsed series, not doujin)
Not that that's particularly surprising, considering how much they've milked and sold out the property. If it wasn't such a hassle and if they could make some decent money off of slapping the official Gainax label on all the EVA doujins out there, they would probably do it.

Regarding the movies, could be very interesting and nice to see them bringing it back to the original animation, as I have pretty much zero interest in all the manga/game spin-offs out there. I wonder though if they'll go with a more traditional style or if they'll do it in their crazy weirdo style like Top wo Nerae 2 and FLCL.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:57 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 05:57 PM #35 of 135
Originally Posted by Pyocola
Not that that's particularly surprising, considering how much they've milked and sold out the property. If it wasn't such a hassle and if they could make some decent money off of slapping the official Gainax label on all the EVA doujins out there, they would probably do it.
They could have officially endorsed Re-Take if it weren't for the graphic sex scenes, I guess. It has more than enough plot and skillful narration to match the bext of Gainax.

But then, had it been an "official" Gainax release, Re-Take might not have become so legendary among the doujin masses.

The character designs in the Newtype scans there looked a lot closer to traditional style Eva than the Aim for the Top 2 and FLCL look. It's really all up to what team handles the movies.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:44 PM #36 of 135
This is more interesting to me than a live-action Eva that has not been greenlit.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Old Sep 8, 2006, 01:32 PM #37 of 135
Hopefully they won't run out of ink this time. ='D

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

MrSatan

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:15 PM #38 of 135
i wonder what the final movie would be about, maybe the events of the end of evangelion, wasnt really true, but a possibility perhaps???

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:46 PM #39 of 135
I get the feeling that this announcement may very well simply be the same long-term disappointment that the Star Wars prequels added up to be.

Adding on to something as well-established and well-liked as Eva will only amount to failure, no matter how monumental or slight. Nothing will be the original and an attempt to "expand" on the series is more or less proof that there is nothing more to be said about the original series.

So why bother? Obviously, yes, they like money - but so does George Lucas and look what we ended up with.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:47 PM #40 of 135
Not only Sadamoto's NGE manga (which I think is still being released), but also Girlfriend of Steel 2 (now Angelic Days under license), which I loved, and the Shinji Ikusei Keikaku manga (based on the PC/DC game of the same name), which was very fun too.
The official manga is still going because Sadamoto is moving very, very slowly with the series. And I'm dying to see if he'll end the series the same way as the movie, or venture toward something completely different (this has been a source of speculation for quite a while).

I rather like the "new" style, but if things get grimly serious like in the original series, the cute style will clash more shockingly
I'm still not certain if the artwork found in the Newtype is actual art for the movies, but I'm hoping it isn't. For a massive project like this, it feels a bit lazy to simply re-use the old designs and make them "cuter".

Remember how the cosplay, fan-art, and doujin community exploded when we were first given the redesigns for FFVII? Imagine that times two (or even three) if the same thing was done for Shinji and company. Redesigns are all the rage these days, and I would love an update for the characters, even if it was just to resemble Sadamoto's art style more.

They could have officially endorsed Re-Take if it weren't for the graphic sex scenes, I guess. It has more than enough plot and skillful narration to match the bext of Gainax.
I stumbled upon Re-Take once, thinking it was just a typical hentai doujin. But then I *gasp* actually read some of it, and found out it was a serious doujin. Anyone have any direct links of the chapters?

Quote:
I wonder though if they'll go with a more traditional style or if they'll do it in their crazy weirdo style like Top wo Nerae 2 and FLCL.
The latter choice is my greatest fear right now. I have no desire to see Fooly Coolyvangelion. I don't want them to do something weird or absurd just for the hell of it. If they're going to be serious with this "revival" then they'd better play it straight.

The decision to remove the sporadic flashes of text (at least that's the rumor) is a good one. It was interesting the first couple of times we got into Shinji's head, but it got played out when they based the entire second half of EoE with it. The text flashes were mostly a coverup to save money anyway, and...

Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Hopefully they won't run out of ink this time. ='D
With all the money they've been making with merchandise, I expect the production vaules to be nothing but astronomical. Then again, the fact that they signed on four movies at once should be a good indication of the budget (as long as those movies are over an hour and a half each; anything less might as well be an OVA).

Quote:
This is totally fantastic and utterly unexpected. I honestly don't give a shit if it's "milking the franchise"
They were milking it with the countless model kits, dating sims, re-released DVD's, and lifesize pillows. For the first time in years they're doing something notable with the series.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:17 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 12:17 AM #41 of 135
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I'm still not certain if the artwork found in the Newtype is actual art for the movies, but I'm hoping it isn't. For a massive project like this, it feels a bit lazy to simply re-use the old designs and make them "cuter".

Remember how the cosplay, fan-art, and doujin community exploded when we were first given the redesigns for FFVII? Imagine that times two (or even three) if the same thing was done for Shinji and company. Redesigns are all the rage these days, and I would love an update for the characters, even if it was just to resemble Sadamoto's art style more.
While it's true that a redesign of sort wouldn't hurt since this is closer to a remake than a second season (where they usually keep the old designs), the Eva designs are pretty iconic, so Gainax would be a fool to alter them too drastically. I'm sure the designs in the scan isn't obviously directly lifted from footage, but Newtype pretty much always uses designs from the series, so if you see a certain style in one of their features, the show will usually look like that.

Quote:
I stumbled upon Re-Take once, thinking it was just a typical hentai doujin. But then I *gasp* actually read some of it, and found out it was a serious doujin. Anyone have any direct links of the chapters?
No, but I can pack and send Re-Take 0-3 for you. 4 has just recently been released and ends the series quite dramatically, but it's far too long to have been translated yet, unfortunately

They also just recently released a soundtrack for Re-Take which I've been listening to lately

It's really quite great, even though it's only 8 songs. Very impressive work and fits the atmosphere well. If you want, I can send it or link you to the torrent.

Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 05:25 AM #42 of 135
Q. I'D LOVE TO HAVE THAT.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:35 PM #43 of 135
They even did a soundtrack for it? Damn. Yes, I'll take whatever you got. If things go sour, Re-Take may prove more entertaining than the actual movies. :/

EDIT: Here is Re-Take 1-3.

http://rapidshare.de/files/32455413/Re-Take.rar.html

EDIT: Here's Re-Take 0 (read this after chapter 3).

http://rapidshare.de/files/32456582/...AKE_0.zip.html

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Soldier; Sep 8, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 11:07 PM #44 of 135
Originally Posted by Decoy Goat
Yeah well until the moment you see me gathering and forming a picket line outside your local parliament and wearing a shirt that says "say no to Eva" you'll always have your doubts about whether I stop random nerds with NERV shirts on the street to punch them.

You're lucky you have a set of Babar customs Sir, as it makes me totally incapable of being far more mean about the fact that I chose to have and express my opinion on this subject.
And I'm sure I could find an anime you like and threaten to punch you. If you hit me while I wore my EVA shirt (I'd love to take a pic now and post it), I'd tear you apart like UNIT04. You can always...you know...ignore it?

Originally Posted by Scarletdeath
HOLY CRAP THIS IS GREAT NEWS. Finally there will be some aftermath story, which will hopefully explain WTF HAPPENED in the ending of Eva. Also, dammit, I must buy the box set again this time.
I'm debating. Finish the Platinum Collection. Or....keep my Perfect?

Most amazing jew boots
MrSatan

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:05 AM #45 of 135
well the platinum edition have a better image/sound than perfect BUT perfect have the spanish dub, which is really good.
i have the platinum eidition, but if could i would get the perfect just for the dub. but if i have to chose ill take the platinum, is better overall.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:12 AM #46 of 135
Man, that Re-Take doujin is something else. At one point it feels like typical fanfiction (Shinji using Unit-01 to a level beyond what was shown in the anime, having an underage marriage to Asuka with no one protesting, etc), but the art style is so fantastic it almost feels official. It's also incredibly depressing, which should be the norm for EVA fans, but the romance in this book is handled extremely well. I'd almost wish that Gainax would make it official, save for two criticisms.

1. The sex scenes feel pointless. Sure, they're integral to the story, but wasn't necessary to show all the details. Showing Shinji pound his surprisingly large entry plug into Asuka's AT Field (I tried) isn't some sort of visual symbolism, it's just to attract the hentai crowd who would obviously be too bored with all the text to begin with. And you can't possibly expect me to believe that Shinji's first time would go so smoothly. Where did he learn moves like that?

2. I found Rei's reactions and decisions to Shinji and Asuka's consumation a bit out of character. It's true that it was meant to be creepy, and we really don't know how Rei would react to rejection, but I don't think she'd go that far.

I went and edited/removed all the sex scenes and most of the nudity out of the chapters so my sister could read them. I can send the edited chapters for anyone who prefers to read the stories hentai-free.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:31 AM #47 of 135
No, but I can pack and send Re-Take 0-3 for you. 4 has just recently been released and ends the series quite dramatically, but it's far too long to have been translated yet, unfortunately
Erm, actually, it's been translated already:

Re-Take 4 Torrent: http://www.deadfrog.us/index.php?act=entry&id=6947

Re-Take 4 Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.de/files/32354905/...s_V2_.zip.html

The translation seemed OK, too.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:55 AM #48 of 135
That is awesome. I was starting to dread the thought of waiting to see how this ends.

JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 11:03 PM #49 of 135
Just so you guys know, ADV is releasing YET ANOTHER version of Eva on DVD at the end of this year, so you might want to think twice about buying the Platinum collection. Not to mention that apparently, they removed all the extras on the thinpack release of the Platinum Collection.

Makes me almost happy I skipped the Platinum collection.

Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:05 AM #50 of 135
Originally Posted by Lukage
And I'm sure I could find an anime you like and threaten to punch you. If you hit me while I wore my EVA shirt (I'd love to take a pic now and post it), I'd tear you apart like UNIT04.
I've always waited for the defining moment of being threatened with physical violence on the internet.

Now that it actually happened it feels kind of hollow because it was executed clumsily by some dork with aspirations of being ULTRA POWERFUL MECH HERO.

Pro-tip: You should actually try to interpret and understand the words you read on the screen before diving into a pointless e-rage over something inane as bad anime.

I <3 Cheryl.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] New Evangelion Movies!