Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

A Question about Bavaria

CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:47 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 03:47 PM #1 of 9
A Question about Bavaria

Now i did some "research" on google about Bavaria (sp?) to answer a question i got when we were discussing BMW motors, me and my car-geeky friends.

I want the answer from a local, a german or bavarian (MUSH!! You're german, no?) tell me if Bavaria is infact considered german, or is the distinction made internationally only, while on the inside (in germany) being the same thing? Are bavarians called german? Is there a border?

I read it's called "The independant state of Bavaria" or something like that, does that mean they have separate passports?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 08:20 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 02:20 PM #2 of 9
No, Bavaria is part of Germany, they don't habe separate passports.

It's like say, asking if Texas is considered part of the US. Of course it is. Texas is a 'federal state', and Bavaria also is one. In german we call Texas a 'Bundesstaat' and the US a 'Staatenbund'. Bavaria on the other side would be a 'Bundesland' and Germany 'Bundesrepublik'.
AFAIK the english language doesn't differentiate between 'Bundesstaat' and 'Bundesland', both is translated to 'federal state'

cya
liquid

There's nowhere I can't reach.
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:04 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 05:04 PM #3 of 9
Thanks !

Mush? Anything to add?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:30 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 03:30 PM #4 of 9
There's loads of germans here mate. Will this thread be a failure if the most recognised one doesn't appear? Was this thread a veiled exercise in Summoning the Great One?

(pro tip: Shin, the figurehead of England, can be summoned by asking about beer)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:37 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 05:37 PM #5 of 9
You've got to know that Germany wasnt a nation before 1871. Here's a map for reference.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:18 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 05:18 PM #6 of 9
Yes, Bavaria is part of Germany, although I've heard (from a German friend) that some people generally consider Bavaria "less" German than the other states. This mentality is alot more common in the northern parts of Germany, if I'm not mistaken. Again, as I said, I heard this from a German friend, so I can't really confirm if it's true or not, I only have that to go with.

Also, if I remember correctly, the reason why it might be considered "less" German was due to some historical remarks (see niki's map, probably later than that though), where the other states would be in conflicts with other countries but Bavaria wouldn't show its support.

How ya doing, buddy?
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:46 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 05:46 AM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Kolba
There's loads of germans here mate. Will this thread be a failure if the most recognised one doesn't appear? Was this thread a veiled exercise in Summoning the Great One?

(pro tip: Shin, the figurehead of England, can be summoned by asking about beer)
LoL .. No offense buddy, i just honestly thought germans were rare on GFF, i stand corrected !

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 02:36 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 08:36 AM #8 of 9
Bavaria is a Bundestaat (federal state) of Germany hence part of it. Bayern is also a "Freistaat" (free state), which doesn't mean it's fully independent from the Federal German Republic, though. The term Freistaat refers to the (good) old Kaiserreich when there was Prussia (70%) and several "free states" that did not belong to Prussia and therefore have a much stronger tradition than those states that were founded after WWII when Prussia was being dissolved. There are three federal states in Germany that are free states at the same time (Bavaria, Saxony, Thurignia).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 05:04 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 12:04 PM #9 of 9
Bear in mind though, that the term "Freistaat" does not have any political significance as of today. Bavaria is just one of the 16 Bundesländer (federal states) of Germany. Also, for correct terminology, Bavaria = Bayern in German, and BMW are the "Bayrische Motorenwerke" (Bavarian Motor Works).

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > A Question about Bavaria