Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Question for Latinos or anyone familiar with their culture

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 05:18 PM #1 of 19
Question for Latinos or anyone familiar with their culture

Do Latinos sometimes use a different name or last name altogether when it comes to signing stuff? I was at work the other day, and noticed a Latino man signing off on a credit card slip, but the signature name didn't match what the name he gave us was (probably his driver's license, cause we need to see that stuff to store customer data in case they come back, so it won't take as long and we know who repeat customers are).

A coworker who was working that night with me, also a Latino, brought my attention to it. He told me that cause that guy signed with a name that didn't match the named that was printed on the invoice, it's a sign of an illegal immigrant. I don't remember what his name was, just that they didn't match (but I wasn't really paying attn cause we were busy at the time, and not like I would've had time to examine each and every one).

Another reason I'm asking is because a long time ago, when I was in the 4th grade, there was a Latino boy who gave his last name as something else, even though papers said it was a different name. He seemed kind of proud of it, until the teacher finally told him that his last name was the one written on the papers, not what he wanted us to say (and cause his last name sounded similar to "Lasagna", other kids started making fun of him, probably why he tried to change it, I dunno).

Anyway, I was wondering if Latinos go by several different names or something, or if I should be suspicious anytime I see a guy sign a different name than what's written on paper.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Gecko3; Sep 5, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 03:51 PM #2 of 19
My whole name is Juan Manuel Verduzco Carbajal, but I'll be god-fucked if I sign it all like that. I just sign is as Juan Verduzco...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 09:18 PM #3 of 19
Ence, you have a nice signature .
Maybe we should have a 'post your signature' thread...it's not like anybody can actually read signatures...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:20 PM #4 of 19
Originally Posted by Encephalon
My whole name is Juan Manuel Verduzco Carbajal

Awesome. You're a Carbajal. Just like my brother in law.

Most amazing jew boots

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:02 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 08:02 AM #5 of 19
How does the Spanish/Latino naming system work anyway? Does it go first name-middle name-mother's last name-father's last name? Or is it something different? That's always confused me...

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:21 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 08:21 AM #6 of 19
It's usually First Name, Middle Name, Father's Last Name, Mother's Maiden Name. At least that's how it is with our family.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:44 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 09:44 AM #7 of 19
Yes the typical spanish naming style is what Encephalon mentioned. I don't know the deal with having a different last name than what is given, it is probable that they are using their maternal surname since typically only the paternal surname is recorded at birth. I don't think that would be a problem in America though since they usually just go ahead and jot it all down unless specified otherwise. I doubt it is a sign of one being an immigrant though.

My whole name is Cipriano Rodriguez de la Rodrigada Jr. Obviously I don't feel the need to sign the de la Rodrigada bit so I just leave it off.

Spanish names are so much fun.

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:55 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 08:55 AM #8 of 19
Oh, so your LAST username was your REAL name? AWESOME NAME!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:02 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:02 AM #9 of 19
Of course, I'm a nub like that.

(besides, who would know unless I told them!)

I wish I knew more about my name other than it is Italian and derived from some really ancient bishop matyr of the Christian faith.

I also wish people could pronounce it properly

*envious of simple names*

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 09:09 AM #10 of 19
It's pronounced "Kee-pree-ano", yes?

Be careful of what you wish for. A name like "Juan" brings about simple-minded jokes like "HAY LOOK ITS JUAN TWO THREE LOLZERZ"

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:15 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:15 AM #11 of 19
Actually it's Sip (C produces an S!) and not Kee.

Although at least it's better than other attempts, I swear someone tried to call me Carpy. They not only mucked it up but also tried to shorten and make it cute ;_;

I kid about wanting an easier name, I should just write my name in phonetics so people around here have an easier time with it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:29 AM #12 of 19
Second question from the slightly ignorant observer:

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for the spanish/latino naming schematic and the inclusion of the mothers maiden name? Is there anything behind that either traditionally or socially?

lastly - lets say one of you guys gets married. Does your wife take your full last name (mothers main+fathers last) in addition to hers or are certain parts of the name dropped? How exactly does that work?

**suddenly it feels like I've learned something... ^__^**

Most amazing jew boots
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:47 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:47 AM #13 of 19
Usually the woman will take either both names or just the maternal or paternal (usually maternal) one.

Not uncommon to see a spanish woman with like 6 last names.

A husband could take his wife's surnames too if he wanted.

I don't really know anything about the maternal-paternal thing aside from that adding the paternal name was something that was started a few hundred years ago, since before it would just be the maternal surname that you took. I assume they do it so that the lineage or whatever can remain, instead of having one name fade into obscurity as the generations go on.

Most amazing jew boots
Matias
Carob Nut

Member 687

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:53 PM #14 of 19
Originally Posted by Dubble
Second question from the slightly ignorant observer:

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for the spanish/latino naming schematic and the inclusion of the mothers maiden name? Is there anything behind that either traditionally or socially?
I guess it makes you easier to recognize I guess, how many Juan Perez do you think you're gonna find? A whole lot, Juan Perez Molina will make him easier to differentiate from the others I guess. It's mostly tradition I'd say.

Originally Posted by Dubble
lastly - lets say one of you guys gets married. Does your wife take your full last name (mothers main+fathers last) in addition to hers or are certain parts of the name dropped? How exactly does that work?
It's common (if not a general rule) that the woman takes her husband's paternal last name and places it after hers. Say I'm called Carlos Juarez Montoya and my wife's name is Maria Fuentes Molina, after we get married her name would be Maria Fuentes Molina de Juarez. I guess it's a way to declare ownership over women , the other way around, the husband taking his wife's last name is unheard of (most latino cultures have a tendency to be sexist so...).

About the illegal immigrant thing, that's completely moronic.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Matias; Sep 6, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:25 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 01:25 PM #15 of 19
Originally Posted by Lacerta
Actually it's Sip (C produces an S!) and not Kee.
Just like Ruben Blades's song, Cipriano Armenteros.

My full name would be Jose Omar Gonzalez Santana. I know my sister once stated her name as Brenda Liz Gonzalez Santana Vasquez Perez (she just signs first and last, I think) when her and my mom were talking about this very subject. Vasquez was the maiden name of my late maternal grandmother and Perez is the name of my paternal grandmother. I sign with just my first and last name. Sometimes I'll throw in an O for my middle name.

As for the illegal immigrant thing, I don't know. I could ask my friend, as although he was born in Chicago, he has lived in El Paso for most of his life, and I think he has mentioned running into illegals before. He's in Denver right now though.

FELIPE NO
~MV

Last edited by Megavolt; Sep 6, 2006 at 02:28 PM.
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 07:01 PM #16 of 19
Cool, thanks for clarifying that stuff up. I always wondered why the names were weird like that with Latinos (Russians are somewhat like that too, cept they often used shortened versions of their names, which further adds confusion lol).

I'm glad my first and last name amounts only to 8 letters. People used to mock me about that (cause it also rhymes), but I just tell them "at least I can fill out forms faster than most people and can fit my whole name on a nametag"

It's always interesting learning new stuff though from different cultures.

Most amazing jew boots
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:59 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:59 AM #17 of 19
Just a little spinoff of the topic of this thread...

A common thing that used to happen here in Australia was the changing/officiating of immigrants' names.

I don't know why, but the one of the reasons that I could conclude was that at times, migrants' names look overwhelming on paper. My father's name was changed simply because his Aussie workmates found it too hard and too bothersome to try to pronouce his name. Apparently when Jackie Chan came over to Australia (I think to find his parents), his Aussie workmates gave the "Jackie" name to him as it was easier to say than his Chinese name.

Furthermore, one of my Chinese friends has a surname of Gordon, as apparently it helped make his grandparents' life easier on Hong Kong (when the British were still under control of the area).

BorisSpider
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5176

Level 1.47

Apr 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:08 PM #18 of 19
Anybody remember Ro Laren from Star Trek?

Also, I know someone with two middle names, and all sorts of their official paperwork have it recorded differently. I am informed it is the source of much confusion whenever two or more of the documents are required.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Question for Latinos or anyone familiar with their culture