Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

WTF?!?!? There is and was a SNOWSTORM in South Africa!!

Icyblackflame
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9838

Level 1.60

Jul 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:44 PM #1 of 23
WTF?!?!? There is and was a SNOWSTORM in South Africa!!

This is amazing. Dude, I never knew it could snow in Africa. All I knew was that I've been watching it on the news for a while!

The snow contributes to the major Earthquake in Virgina and 8 (yes. EIGHT) tornados that struck Maryland at the same time (amazingly enough, no damage was done none showed up on radar (until they hit), and each of them dissapeared suddenly.)

In other words, strange natural circumstances

I tried to post a link, but it says I can't yet. Google "snowstorm in South Africa" or "Snow in South Africa" for more into.

What do you think of all this?
-Icyblackflame

(I'm tired so I'll be going to bed now. I'll be back tomorrow though... In other words, I won't be able to participate in this)

-----

Isn't it funny how people completely disregaurd the message you're trying to give out, and put empasis to minor details that don't even matter? I'm just sayin'...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Icyblackflame; Aug 16, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:46 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 06:46 PM #2 of 23
Originally Posted by Icyblackflame
This is amazing. Dude, I never knew it could snow in Africa. All I knew was that I've been watching it on the news for a while!

The snow contributes to the major Earthquake in Virgina and 8 (yes. EIGHT) tornados that struck Maryland at the same time (amazingly enough, no damage was done none showed up on radar (until they hit), and each of them dissapeared suddenly.)

In other words, strange weather.

I tried to post a link, but it says I can't yet. Google "snowstorm in South Africa" or "Snow in South Africa" for more into.

What do you think of all this?
-Icyblackflame
How did a snowstorm in South Africa contribute to a fucking earthquake in Virginia?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Icyblackflame
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9838

Level 1.60

Jul 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:49 PM #3 of 23
Originally Posted by Denicalis
How did a snowstorm in South Africa contribute to a fucking earthquake in Virginia?
I meant the fact that it was strange weather. The fact that it was snowing in Africa is like when there was an Earthquake in Virginia and such. Sorry that was confusing.
-Icyblackflame

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:01 PM #4 of 23
I meant the fact that it was strange weather. The fact that it was snowing in Africa is like when there was an Earthquake in Virginia and such. Sorry that was confusing.
-Icyblackflame
Oh, it contributes to a string of odd weather. I gotcha. You should watch an Inconvenient Truth if you're into this kind of thing.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 08:05 PM #5 of 23
What does an earthquake have to do with weather?

And why is this in Political? Moved to General Discussion.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 10:35 PM #6 of 23
ZOMG SNOW IN AFRICA.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:11 PM #7 of 23
Why being up earthquakes when talking about anomalies in weather??? As far as I'm aware, earthquakes are dependent upon tectonic plates shifting, and weather is all about the state of the atmosphere. Sure, massive redistribution of water on the Earth's surface may contribute to changes in pressure on the tectonic plates, and thus changes in their activity, but I doubt we are seeing this right now.

Aside from wacko Christian people who keep on pointing out this stuff declaring "THE END IS NIGH~," who really bunches up geologic shifts with low pressure systems?

EDIT: Shoot. Styphon said what I was saying, much simpler, and faster.

FELIPE NO

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:47 PM #8 of 23
Since it's winter time in Africa, wouldn't snow be more than possible?

How ya doing, buddy?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 08:11 PM #9 of 23
Well let's see. Johannesburg, South Africa is in the northern section of the country. It's latitude is something like 26 degrees south. Cape Town in on the southern edge of the country and is at something like 33 degrees south. So Cape Town is as far south of the equator as Birmingham, Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia are north of the equator. It isn't SUPAR THREADWORTHY RARE for it to snow in either Birmingham or Atlanta. Maybe I am simply applying incorrect logic to the situation when I suggest that it is not out of the question for it to snow in parts of Africa.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:20 PM #10 of 23
I am one of the few who had the also have the misconception that Africa is perpetually in a state of constant heat/drought/sunlight and whatnot. Although I can break free from my assumption when thinking about South Africa when you see just how far some place like Cape Town is from the Equator. In general though, it does sound out of the ordinary.

XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 07:06 PM #11 of 23

Erm...Well it does snow in Africa, especially in South Africa.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 02:26 PM #12 of 23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...outhAfrica.png
As for South Africa with snow? Look at how damn far south that is. Look at it. How is it unusual to have snow there?

Tectonic activity does not equate to meteorological phenomena. Comparing the nature of the Earth to the skies can only be connected in a HANDFUL of ways. And this certainly isn't one of them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:38 PM #13 of 23
Most of South Africa is normally hot. It's dry towards the North and has a tropical climate towards the East. Around Cape Town (southwestern portion), it's a Mediterranean climate. So, it should get about as much snow as, say Spain (since it has been mentioned once already). However, its winters are wet, leaving the potential for snow. I can't find how common snowfall is, but I'll estimate that it's as common as it is in states near the Gulf of Mexico.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:53 PM #14 of 23
I've always wondered if I ever snowed in the far southern parts of Africa; I always felt it was logical that it did. But I was never actually taught such one way or the other; and like many people I associate Africa with, I don't know, stereotypical African stuff like intense heat, jungles, deserts, grasslands, and lions. But russ's logic is sound, it probably happens, at least every once in a while.

Most amazing jew boots
Void
i turn black thoughts to red

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:52 PM #15 of 23
While it isn't the popular image of Africa, people must keep in mind that Africa is a huge continent [second largest on the globe] and it is pretty varied in topography and climate. There are deserts in the northernmost regions, intense jungles in the center, and the south is in the subtropical zone so it's pretty much what we're used to in the states, as far as latitudinal lines go.

But there are other factors influencing climate besides latitudinal position as Yamamanama said. Not only altitude, but its distance from oceans and things like the gulf stream, [not sure if that's what it's generally called or only a specific one] but it's a prime example.

Heh, I remember when I used to look at maps and was amazed at how close the southern tips of Africa and South America were to Antarctica and thinking... "how are there NOT frozen tundras there?"

FELIPE NO
The only way out is through.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:36 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:36 AM #16 of 23
Africa will be wiped out by a bunch of frozen dinosaurs tomorrow. DAMN WEATHER. There was so much hail out of NOWHERE (no actually, the sky) a few days ago that the city almost looked like it was covered in snow. No fancy weather person predicted it. I was a few suburbs over and we only got a massive downpour of boring old rain. =( THE GROUND'S NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THIS IN THE DOWNUNDERVERSE.

THE WORLD IS ENDING! Time to push old people down in the hurry to get a seat on the space rockets.

Most amazing jew boots
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:51 AM #17 of 23
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Africa will be wiped out by a bunch of frozen dinosaurs tomorrow. DAMN WEATHER. There was so much hail out of NOWHERE (no actually, the sky) a few days ago that the city almost looked like it was covered in snow. No fancy weather person predicted it. I was a few suburbs over and we only got a massive downpour of boring old rain. =( THE GROUND'S NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THIS IN THE DOWNUNDERVERSE.
I was in the middle of traffic when this started. Watching people been freaked out from a mini hail storm was a bit entertaining.

Last edited by Weapon; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:05 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 08:05 PM #18 of 23
I honestly don't see anything alarming about wintry weather in the souther hempisphere. The fact of the matter is, it is Winter down there and frozen precpitation will fall if you are at the right latitue. If it can snow in Florida and Las Vegas, than it can sure as heck do so in Sydney.

And as far as the earthquakes, I did a search on Google news and CNN, but have found nothing. To me it sounds like the source was less than credible. I think it would have been big news had
it really hit in North America as it would have raised concerns over tectonic activity happening elsewhere in the Mississipi/Ohio river region (which has happened before.) And as far as the tornado outbreak goes, that is perfectly
normal for the US during the spring and summer. Considering that the worst outbreaks can produce 40-50 tornadoes, this isn't very unususal.

In short, the weather is very unpredictable and can suprise you no matter how much you think you are fammilar with the climate. This is just a fact of life on Earth.

Isn't it funny how people completely disregaurd the message you're trying to give out, and put empasis to minor details that don't even matter? I'm just sayin'...
Considering the message is based on the two other events happening simultainiously, I woudln't neccessarily consider them "minor details".

Last edited by Excrono; Aug 17, 2006 at 09:35 PM.
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:33 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:33 PM #19 of 23
It can snow ANYWHERE in the world. Weather/Climate depends mostly on altitude. Research: continentality. What are schools doing these days?

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:47 PM #20 of 23
Originally Posted by Spike
It can snow ANYWHERE in the world. Weather/Climate depends mostly on altitude. Research: continentality. What are schools doing these days?
Fundraisers for metal detectors.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rakka
Forgiveness

Member 10978

Level 9.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:05 AM #21 of 23
I don't know, my high school was apparently so busy saving up for mandatory ID tags, pretty color-coded lanyards, and building proximity cards that they cut about 1/5 of their avaliable classes out this year...they also got rid of the building's air conditioning and tore out most of the interior doors, I guess.

I graduated from there a couple of years ago, though...just beat the security paranoia and massive budget cuts.

But, to repeat everything in this thread, it's not exactly unheard of for snow to fall in places like South Africa, especially at higher altitudes...it looks like most of the snowfall took place inland, in the more mountainous parts of the country, and it is winter there, after all. It doesn't seem to be a common occurence, but it's not some sort of sign of impending doom.

musicman1za
Who me?

Member 95

Level 7.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2006, 04:39 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 11:39 PM #22 of 23
I live in South Africa and I can say that it most definately does snow in some parts of the country during winter. Just because you normally associate Africa with droughts/heat/deserts, doesn't mean it can't snow...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"If I were the rain...
...that binds together the earth and the sky,
whom in all eternity will never mingle...
...would I be able to bind two hearts together?"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > WTF?!?!? There is and was a SNOWSTORM in South Africa!!