Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Fewer Advanced Screenings = GREAT SUCCESS

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:55 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 10:55 AM #1 of 6
Fewer Advanced Screenings = GREAT SUCCESS

Source

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Critics are being shut out of more films as studios forgo advance screenings on flicks they expect reviewers to trash, figuring the movies stand a better chance of box-office success with no reviews rather than bad ones.

So far this year, 11 movies have not screened for critics before opening day, including the Rob Schneider-David Spade sports comedy "The Benchwarmers" and Mo'Nique's fashion comedy "Phat Girlz," both opening Friday.

During the same period last year, just two movies did not screen in advance for reviewers.

The practice does not sit well with critics, who either must do without or scramble to catch the movie on opening day and dash something off if their outlets want to have a review over opening weekend.

But it makes business sense for studios, which may presume the drawbacks outweigh the benefits if critics are likely to hate a movie.

"If we think screenings for the press will help open the movie, we'll do it," said Dennis Rice, publicity chief for Disney, which did not show its fright flick "Stay Alive" to critics before it opened in March. "If we don't think it'll help open the movie or if the target audience is different than the critics' sensibilities, then it may make sense not to screen the movie."

Movies that do not screen ahead of time generally are genre flicks such as horror stories or youth comedies whose audiences pay little heed to critics.

"Like 'Benchwarmers,' if some kid really wants to see that, I don't know that bad reviews are going to stop them from going," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Television's "Ebert and Roeper and the Movies," added a jab at Hollywood whenever a studio did not screen a flick for critics. Along with their "thumbs-up, thumbs-down," Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper included a "wagging finger of shame" for films they were not shown.
I actually kind of relied on bad reviews, just so I knew which movie would make me laugh harder. My friends and I purposely seek out shitty stuff when it's released in theaters, like Ultraviolet or Torque.

What do you think? Do you even use reviews to judge a movie before you see it?

Most amazing jew boots
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:16 PM #2 of 6
I sometimes judge a movie before I see it. Though I often make up my mind while seeing a preview of it. No one has to tell me that Phat Girlz is gonna suck, it looks crappy. I don't actively seek reviews for movies, though it is sometimes fun to see what other people have to say about them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 06:00 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 05:00 PM #3 of 6
I think it's pretty stupid to do that. It might temporarily work for one weekend, but once word of mouth spreads (especially over the internet), and the reviews come out, the movie is usually doomed after that. I think Date Movie is a good recent example of that. It did good when it first came out, but after that it went all the way downhill.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:24 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 12:24 PM #4 of 6
internet > critics

I normally disagree with critics. They seem to recognize when a movie is complete crap, but little else.

Im assuming critics are chosen like most jobs... for being "better" than the compition or having a unique viewpoint. If this is the case, then theres a problem here... what good is a "deviation" in reviewing a film for the majority?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 11:26 PM #5 of 6
It probably doesn't really matter that much, although no publicity is also bad (seriously, there are some movies I would've loved to have seen, had I of known that they were coming out at all lol).

That said, if there's no reviews, I can always find something on the internet about it.

And finally, if crap does just come up on us like the week before it comes out, it usually means the movie probably sucks, so most people probably won't go see it anyway.

Yeah, bad reviews don't help too much, but sometimes it's better to know that ahead of time (and it'll get those bad reviews anyway after it's been released).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 08:53 PM #6 of 6
But the first weekend is the most important, and for the types of films that go unscreened, the only thing the studios are banking on.

I'm actually a little surprised it took this long for this to become more common.

Most amazing jew boots

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Fewer Advanced Screenings = GREAT SUCCESS