Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Bokurano

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 07:48 PM Local time: May 13, 2007, 05:48 PM #1 of 3
Bokurano

We clearly need more threads to offset the huge number of far-fetched romantic comedies, so here we go:

Synopsis: It was a beautiful summer day and a group of 15 kids were out on a school trip to the island of Mitomo. The group was made up of 14 seventh graders and 1 fourth grader. On that fateful afternoon on the beach, one of the students suggests that the group explore a nearby cave. Although there was some hesitation, the kids go through with it and to their surprise, they found out that the cave was inhabited, complete with a computer system and some sparse furnishings. The person living there, a man who went by the name of Kokopelli, came back to find the kids there and asked them if they were interested in playing a game where they controlled a giant robot to protect the Earth. Save for the lone fourth grader, they agreed and sealed the contract by touching a pad while saying their name. Kokopelli offered to show them how the game works and the kids blacked out afterwards.

When they came to, they all thought it was a dream and began wandering back to their hotel when they saw a huge robot standing out in the open. At the same moment, a robot began to materialize and the kids found themselves teleported into a cockpit where Kokopelli was piloting the black robot. He explained the control systems in a rudimentary way and demonstrated how the kids must go about destroying the robotic invaders. Kokopelli then proceeded to destroy the enemy robot. When that was over, he disappeared, but right before he did, he began to say "I'm sorry." before getting cut off.

Impressions: While the opening scenes sparked of a sense of freedom and the carefree days of youth, I have this feeling that this series is going to be headed in a very tragic and depressing situation. This shouldn't be a surprise since the person behind this series also did Narutaru, so expect to see the same elements at work here. Judging from the first episode, I get this nagging feeling that there will probably be much death to be had on the part of these characters and how they cope with the loss of life will form the foundation for this anime series. I wouldn't be surprised if this series turns into something from Lord of the Flies either.

Having 15 kids is a pretty big cast to begin with, though if my predictions are correct (I haven't read the manga), I suspect it'll become more managable once some characters are bumped off. As is, you've got quite an assortment of personalities, ranging from extremes like a kid with a superiority complex and suffers mild antisocial disorders, to violent psychopaths, all the way to the meek, pliant types. Their reaction to the events and the drama resulting from the fallout is what will make the series really interesting.

Links:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Jam it back in, in the dark.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 08:55 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 09:55 AM #2 of 3
Heh!! Bokurano, one of those angst and emo animes IMO.

I have seen the manga from start to volume 6, and I have to say its rather interested and twisted! Kinda reminds me of Battle Royale with 8-14 yr old kids instead of 17-21 yr old teenagers.

I would recommend this anime if you want to get away from all those lovey-dovey comedy animes, and get into some serious action animes. However if killing close friends (e.g. Battle Royale), and emo-ish animes (e.g. Fafner of the Azure) aren't your genre then stay out of this!

I am gonna keep a tab on this anime, and see how it goes from there. The art on the anime is nicer than the ones in the manga!!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 01:14 AM Local time: May 14, 2007, 08:14 AM #3 of 3
I've been following the manga and it can get incredibly depressing once you fully realise what's really going on, but it's still worth reading because of all the conflicts, the atmosphere and the complex situation that every pilot has to deal with. I heard that the anime stays pretty faithful to the original, so I'd recommend it to anyone who can deal with a bit more mature stuff and action.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Bokurano