Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Help me choose an HDTV!!!

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:18 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 11:18 AM #1 of 3
Help me choose an HDTV!!!

All I really know of HDTV’s is that I want need one.

Am I too greedy thinking I can find a decent 42” 1080p LCD/Plasma with good response time for gaming around, say…$900-$1,100? I’m tired of playing my PS3 on my 15 inch tube TV, and I want to actually utilize that Blu-Ray player, dammit.

I was thinking something like this:

Pics –
Olevia 747i LCD HDTV:

Side view.

Removable speakers! Supposedly they can be placed on the sides!

Oooh! 5 SD PIP channels + echcrome!

CompUSA had this on sale for $999, but no longer . Anyways, this is just one set that I was looking at, and I've never even heard of Olevia. I just want to get the most bang for my buck, and was wondering your guys thoughts/suggestions, or any deals you may know of. Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:42 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2008, 12:42 PM #2 of 3
Heh, if you're willing to go a couple $100 higher, I'd recommend going bigger and better and getting a DLP TV. Actually, I've seen the Samsung HL50A650 (50" DLP HDTV) go new for about $1150, only $50 more than your price range, not including tax/shipping. The picture is epically godlike, and you don't have to worry about response times since you'll be using an HDMI cable anyway (plus DLP response times were always in the microseconds anyway). Even your SD signals from any other machines you may have will be pretty much perfect since the technology these days is good. Yeah... 1080P LED DLP HDTV FTW, GG.

Not that I work for TI or anything.

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
XanaduTheory
Lurking your shit since 2004

Member 553

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:23 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2008, 09:23 PM 1 #3 of 3
If you're not too particular on it being 1080p or 42", I'd go with a smaller 36" TV with 720p. HDTV isn't broadcast in 1080 and PS3 and Xbox 360 look really good over 720.

Most 720s can reach 1080i, which has, of course, a noticeable rate of pixel increase. The only drawback for PS3 is that you have to switch back to 720p if you want to play PS1/2 games.

Blu-Rays at 1080 resolution look really nice as well at 720, and with the large amount of crappy transfers, 720 actually really helps with grain problems (I wouldn't even want to imagine Fifth Element Blu-Ray on a 1080 screen).

The best part is I've seen decent 36" panels at electronics stores for $550 (MicroCenter).

Aside from that, I don't think what you mentioned above is greedy, you'll just have to deal hunt like no one's business.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"You buy cheese from Europe by mail, is that correct?"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Help me choose an HDTV!!!