Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

mid-drawing life crisis.

Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 09:41 PM #1 of 3
mid-drawing life crisis.

Okay, so I'm reaching that point where one feels as if they have completely fucked themselves over in drawing because all they can draw is stupid little symbols, graffiti type shit and anime (albeit no super dynamic poses, just the regular standing type).

I look at other people's work and think "fuck, I suck horribly compared to this".

So then I thirst for ways to improve my general drawing. I know there's a whole ability of life drawing underlying being able to draw even anime well, i.e. anatomy, posing, muscles, design theory, etc.

The thing is, I do not have a clue how to go about trying to improve my general drawing skill. Also (don't ask why) life drawing classes or any sorts of those classes are probably out of the question until next year when I finally go into college and can either take some lessons in drawing or local drawing lessons.

Just for a general show of what kinda level I'm at now

http://xexxhoshi.deviantart.com/

So I have an okay idea on super basic anatomy, and can just about construct a body, and I can draw stupid flame heart things, but tell me to just put a kewl costume on someone or a post which isn't them standing there, or even change the perspective, and instant fail. I need to be able to break my own mould and draw dynamic figures instead of the same old drawing with them standing there looks straight forward, boring 3/4 look.

But how does one go about improving one's drawing? I need books and shit that'll actually teach me to draw, to do all this posing and anatomy shit, all sorts. And I have no clue where to start, and there's no point me just practicsing what I know now because there is no point practicsing the same trick over and over again.

So yeah, suggestions plz.

Also I lack a graphics tab. Should I save up to get one?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Aug 26, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 04:10 PM #2 of 3
Quote:
Also I lack a graphics tab. Should I save up to get one?
Not yet, if you are not familiar with regular drawing method, tablet isn't going to help much, it'll usually make people more confused. >.>;; Although saving up is always good.

Secondly, I wouldn't say you are at your drawing's "mid-life crisis", because you haven't reach your "prime" yet.

Here are the books that I generally used for learning and referencing the human body:
books I use:

from the Right
Drawing Portraiture by Muntsa Calbo Angrill (Chinese edition): It is very much function as a text books that covers portraiture from historical perspective and have many example of classical portraiture, and basic tutorial in the back on how to capture the likeness of the person in which you are drawing. There are example of basic body constructions but mainly focused on the facial features.

Barron's Anatomy for the Artist : A very small, but handy books in terms of quick references when it comes to drawing musculatures and some pretty essential body construction methods which was demonstrated in various cases.

Drawing Portraitures By 木村秀治 and 田中豐美 (Chinese Edition): Very focused on the capturing the facial feature of the person in which you are sketching, and demonstrate in-depth sketching techniques when it comes to drawing people's faces in various expression, age and genders. It has lots and lots of photos that can be use for such practice in the book.

Drawing the Human Body ~ an Anatomical Guide by Giovanni Civardi: In-depth explanation and example of morphology of various human parts, mainly focused on musculature and skeletal menifestation on the surface, mainly, it also has many example of how certain angle of human body is expressed. Mostly for referencing more difficult to draw angles and learning the limits on human morphology.

last but not least:
nude figure:

The Nude Figure ~ A visual Reference for the Artist By Mark Edward Smith: This is a pose book, in other words, for artist who wants to find a point of references for his or her characters making special poses, it possible to find example of how a person move, at least partially, in this book, from various angles. Although this book is also good for classical studies too, however, it is mainly gear towards when live studio session isn't available.

Otherwise you could always go for Andrew Loomis' books, which is just as good. :3 Although if you are trying to buy those, it can get expensive. I wonder what happend to the Online version...

One of the more general advice that I can give is, draw a lot, and draw from life. If you see something interesting, like a building or tree or a car or something, you might want to try and put it on paper. Considering that the principle of how to construction something on paper is actually very similar all around, human body is no different. Once you have a good grasp of how to draw just about how to draw everyday objects, its easier for you to grasp how to draw human bodys too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Aug 29, 2006, 12:11 AM #3 of 3
Originally Posted by Magi
Otherwise you could always go for Andrew Loomis' books, which is just as good. :3 Although if you are trying to buy those, it can get expensive. I wonder what happend to the Online version...
Someone on the PolykarbonBBS gave me a link to it which I could share if anyone wants it. >.>

But yeah, I'll try and find (download haha I AM A CHEAPASS) those books and see what comes. And I'll try to draw shit more and whatnot. >_>

Thanks for teh info (and expect to see me bugging this board for Character Design info next)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > mid-drawing life crisis.