Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.

Magusstorm
Sumire Kanzaki

Member 6605

Level 13.78

May 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:17 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2006, 04:17 PM #26 of 80
Originally Posted by MrSatan
what???
dude with all my respect, maybe im a lion is one of the best songs from TBM2
but hey taste are different right?
anyway, this are really good news indeed!!!
i was waiting for this, and i was waiting to order the other 2 cds.
Mr Satan: When it comes to me and remixes I don't mix very well. I do though agree that The Extreme needs a remix, it was impressive the PS1 FFVIII and definately needs a remix. In my opinion some tracks should be remixed and some shouldn't. I prefer Maybe I'm a Lion in the original soundtrack. But like you say

Quote:
but hey taste are different right?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Cherry Blossom Garden Thread
My Request Thread

Games of the Moment: Final Fantasy IX, Valkyrie 2: Silmeria
Soundtrack of the Moment: Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles

Sakura Taisen
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 03:03 PM #27 of 80
you are right magus, at least we agre in The Extreme!!
i remember that after i heard about of the first black mages album, i really wanted it to be in the album, but it didnt make it, not even in the second.
now is the change Mr. UEMATSU PLEASE DO THE EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Draz
Not-So-Tortured Poet

Member 5387

Level 7.02

Apr 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:13 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 09:13 PM #28 of 80
I feel alienated by not knowing all the old battle themes... I'm largely a VII/VIII kid. I think the first album was more to my liking than the second - just something about it was in a way, less polished - but at the same time made it better, y'know?

The only song I can think of that I want to see remixed that hasn't been done... hmm... Birth Of A God would be cool, I'll admit. I also really liked the WEAPON music, even though it was relatively simple. Chocobo themes would also rock hardcore.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Signatures are so overrated...

Pretentious Music Blather. <--- Music snobbery, not currently updated. Worth reading anyway.
fill87
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 15258

Level 1.60

Nov 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:33 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 05:33 PM #29 of 80
Hi All! Sorry for bad English ^_-
I am from Russia ^_^
TBM is my favourite group, and i want to know where i can find (download) 1st album in good quality (bit rate 240+).
And what about 3rd album, are there any news?

How ya doing, buddy?
MrSatan

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:33 PM #30 of 80
well try browsing my stuff forum there should be some people sharing it on their ftps, if you cant find it, send me a PM and ill upload it and send it to you.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ZealPath
Moments in Love

Member 1926

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 07:41 PM #31 of 80
heh different tastes indeed, the version of the Maybe I'm a Lion on BM2 is hands down my favorite Black Mages song... followed by Zeromus and Matoya's Cave.

Regarding BM3, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more from FFVI as it was passed over in BM2. I also wouldn't expect to see much from VIII or IX as they both had 2 tracks on BM2. I do like the idea of "The Extreme" being black-mageifyed, it is one of the odder final battle songs and I really think they could do something special with the slow guitar intro.

If it were up to me, a few of my requests would be "The Fierce Battle" (AtmaWeapon fight) from FFVI, "Last Battle" from FFV, "Messenger of Darkness" from FFIX, and some variety of Chocobo theme. I'm a pretty big fan of FFVIII's (Mods de Chocobo), but hey, it's hard to go wrong with the choco tunes.

FELIPE NO
MrSatan

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:29 PM #32 of 80
i agree with you maybe im a a lion and zeromus, are my favs!!
I can remember when i was a kind loving the song and beating the ff2 snes game over and over to listen to the song.

regarding BM3, well i agree, songs from FFVI and FFV, and i really hope that i can hear the extreme, i always liked the song.

Most amazing jew boots
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:54 PM #33 of 80
Any news on when this (double) album might be released? I've been looking, and all I can find is that they will begin working on it in the "near future" (from the Wikipedia entry on them).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:39 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 11:39 AM #34 of 80
Nothing seems to have been announced yet - the album was supposedly due for last autumn, but it hasn't appeared on any release calanders...

D!zzy
Chocobo

Member 11271

Level 13.75

Aug 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:31 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 11:31 PM #35 of 80
Hi dudes,

As I know, The Black Mages visited Extra ~Hyper Game Music Event 2007 Live~. But there is no info - what tracks are played, few words from the band?..

Fuck... I mean, someone must put review about this event or so. Maybe it's only on jap. blogs? What happened?..

It seems that many people forgot this great band. It makes me very sad

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Carl
More than 10 Years of vgm collecting

Member 12578

Level 23.53

Sep 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:38 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 07:38 AM #36 of 80
D!zzy, there was plenty of Japanese magazine & JP blog coverage about the EXTRA live 2007 event...

To answer your immediate questions, the Black Mages performed 4 songs:  

最後の死闘 (FF3)
  Those Who Fight Further (FF7)
  Maybe I'm a Lion (FF8)
  Clash on the Big Bridge (FF5)

At this event, Nobuo said that the Black Mages III Album should be done around early 2008.

For photos and tracklists for all the performers, here's one of the better website writeup coverage of the live shows:

Part 1 http://www.microgroup.co.jp/gs/ex-report/ex-report.htm
Part 2 http://www.microgroup.co.jp/gs/ex-report/ex-report2.htm

D!zzy
Chocobo

Member 11271

Level 13.75

Aug 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:48 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 07:48 PM #37 of 80
Aw, Carl is my hero again! Thank you!! Do you know, any plans to made video?
*damn, why i don't know japanese already?* =)

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by D!zzy; Jul 29, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:14 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 05:14 PM #38 of 80
Quote:
At this event, Nobuo said that the Black Mages III Album should be done around early 2008.
Well, nice to see that they are actually continuing with working on new material, the planned second disc fusing Traditional Japanese Folk Music with Modern J-Rock should be an unusual and interesting listening experience, that is... if that part is still planned.

Vaeran
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5009

Level 2.97

Apr 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:41 PM #39 of 80
As further confirmation, Uematsu was questioned by a fan at the recent concert in Stockholm about the album's release, and promised it would be out in March of 2008. Here's hoping it'll be worth the wait.

FELIPE NO
Lolman
Syklis Green

Member 279

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:36 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 07:36 PM #40 of 80
I think this is a good time to bump this old thread.
The album is due to release on March 19th and plenty of info is available now.

Track list:

1) "Opening ~ Bombing Mission" [from Final Fantasy VII] (Kenichiro Fukui)
2) "Neo ExDeath" [from Final Fantasy V - "The Final Battle"] (Michiro Okamiya)
3) "The Extreme" [from Final Fantasy VIII] (Michio Okamiya)
4) "Assault of the Silver Dragons" [from Final Fantasy IX] (Arata Hanyuda)
5) "Kuraminokumo" [from Final Fantasy III - "This is the Last Battle"] (Kenichiro Fukui)
6) "Distant Worlds" [from Final Fantasy XI] (Kenichiro Fukui)
7) "Premonition" [from Final Fantasy VIII] (Tsuyoshi Sekito)
8) "Grand Cross" [from Final Fantasy IX - "Final Battle"] (Keiji Kawamori)
9) "Darkness and Starlight" [from Final Fantasy VI - "Maria and Draco"] (Part 1 by Tsuyoshi Sekito, Part 2 and 4 by Kenichiro Fukui, Part 3 by Michio Okamiya)
10) "LIFE ~in memory of KEITEN~" (Original Composition by Nobuo Uematsu)

Official Site
The Blog Mages 2008

Unfortunately, it will be a one disc album after all.
At the official site you can watch a few promotional videos/interviews. Samples of all the tracks (except track 10) can be heard in background during those.
Track 5 isn't new, it's "This is the Last Battle", the bonus track from FF III DS OST.

About track 10:
Originally Posted by Nobuo Uematsu
About 8 years ago, I met a boy named "Yoshitaka Tagawa" who was 15 years old then. Yoshitaka(who is the big big fan of FINAL FANTASY) got acute myeloid leukemia from his childhood, and it was difficult for his doctor to expect how long he could live. I wish him to get better and presented him the song "LIFE". After I presented him that song, he started to participate in a lot of events of mine from far Kyushu with his mother. When I first met him, he seemed to lack energy, but while meeting him for a several time, he got energetic and smiled a lot. In fact, I met him at "PRESS START CONCERT" last year, and he was full of vigor. Everybody around him was thinking confidently that he is getting better, but on Jan.25th 2008, He suddenly passed away. I was really sad and was full of regret. I thought that the delightful things must have waited for him in his future. But no one can predict what's going to happen, he passed away.

I think the title track, "Darkness and Starlight" is going to be really special.
Originally Posted by Michio Okamiya
Darkness and Starlight, the main track of our 3rd album. We divided and shared the arrangement in three members, and finally attached each parts into one pieces! It became an amazing track which exceeds more than 15minutes. There are 4 parts in the track, and each parts have a different kind of essence. So it's actually count as 1song, but it's a substantial work as same as 7 or 8 tracks.

The part which I arranged is "part 3". And it has a added part which had been in Uematsu-san's head for about several years. So, this will be the first time full version of Maria and Draco appears. The added part is the Battle scene of Ralse and Draco, so the guitar and Uematsu-san's organ are played hard just like a battle of them! I hope you'll have fun listening to it!

Incidentally, we did such a bad thing.... Oh, I mean... We did a great thing that we sang the chorus! Well..., it was the most difficult time of all the recordings. What??? We have to sing at the live concert?!?!?

Yeah, the mages themselves sing the chorus, and in the last video Uematsu says the opera singers from the previous orchestral concerts (which means mr. goo as well ) return. Semi-humorous, semi-epic, just like "The Skies Above", but bigger and better! (I hope)

So, what're everybody's expectations?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:05 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 09:05 PM #41 of 80
Darkness and Starlight is going to be the most awful thing ever. Well, except for a version which would be presented by mr. goo's horrible wailing.

Hopefully there will be 1-2 decent tracks on this one too, like on the previous albums.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:10 PM #42 of 80
Track 1 will hopefully rock my socks, since that's one of my favorite video game tunes ever. Though, the most likely event is that they will butcher it and ruin it forever

ashmountains
anberlin <3

Member 1835

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:46 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 05:46 PM #43 of 80
I'm expecting some seriously great things from this album. The tracklist seems very good! I'm very interested in #10, though; the story's sad.

How ya doing, buddy?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:27 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 06:27 PM #44 of 80
I'm honestly expecting about a 50/50 split with this album in terms of the successfulness of the arrangements. From what I've heard of the samples, this doesn't sound too bad after all. I'm still a sucker for rock arrangements of classic FF tunes, so I'm pretty sure I'll like this even if there are quite a few stinkers.

I'm about the hugest fan of "Premonition" you'll find anywhere, by the way.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:09 AM #45 of 80
4, 6, 9, and 10 would be the only tracks I wouldn't have too good of an idea for. I've only heard a long vocal version of 9 on Distant Worlds. The rest seems to be gold, and my wish for them to finally cover the Extreme has come true! I think that if Serenade and others can successfully combine two songs like Premonition and The Extreme, then the Black Mages should be able to come out with something even more amazing just focusing on remixing single songs.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:50 AM #46 of 80
No Dark Messenger AGAIN, however Premonition and The Extreme from VIII and the Final Battle from IX will definitely be something to look forward to. Honestly, I was about to go back to this thread and bump it up, asking when/if there was a release date.

I guess that question's been answered. ^_^

MrSatan

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:31 PM #47 of 80
yeah the extreme made it!!!
at last im lloking forward to it!!!

Most amazing jew boots
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:47 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2008, 01:47 PM #48 of 80
For somebody who's getting a bit sick of FF music, hopefully this will lighten my spirits, though I don't want anymore vocal tragedy like in the last album. UGH!

Sekito seems to do a really good job when arranging, so I have some good expecations.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:41 AM #49 of 80
THE BLACK MAGES -Darkness and Starlight-

Here's samples of every track except the last one, which is a new composition by Uematsu.

Lolman
Syklis Green

Member 279

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:08 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2008, 09:08 PM #50 of 80
A sample of the last track can be heard in their final video.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.