Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Help] PS2 blue/purple discs

Tuigi
Quebec Pride!

Member 20690

Level 3.52

Mar 2007

Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:50 AM #1 of 17
PS2 blue/purple discs

Ok so I have bought a copy on Contra SS a while ago and suddenly the game doesn't play on my PS2 anymore. so i went to my freind's house and tried the game and it played fine until once again it started giving me problems again. I heard rumors that it was bause Contra (like ICO or something) is a blue/purple disc(when you look under the disc) has anyone ever had that kind of problem or knows how to fix this thing, i cant play contra in the morning and that makes me grumpy

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 01:41 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2007, 04:41 PM #2 of 17
You shouldn't be having trouble with it, blue disc CD-ROM games don't make PS2's explode (even though sometimes it sounds like they will.. my PS2 made cool rumbling noises with the blue discs). Is the disc scratched? Any other of you AmeriCanada's had troubles with Contra? Maybe this is why they put the PAL version on a DVD-ROM. =o

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Tuigi
Quebec Pride!

Member 20690

Level 3.52

Mar 2007

Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:41 AM #3 of 17
the disc has no scratch it just amkes a big noise and wont load on my ps2...maybe it has to do whit the ps2 version...do you have an early model or a recent one?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:55 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2007, 01:55 PM #4 of 17
Older PS2 models do indeed have a little trouble reading CD-ROM games. If you start getting DREs on CD-ROM games, then that's the first sign of laser troubles. It will eventually spread to DVD games. Your only hope is buy another, or screw around trying to fix it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tuigi
Quebec Pride!

Member 20690

Level 3.52

Mar 2007

Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:02 AM #5 of 17
well that sux, dont they sell back-up lenses ?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:09 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2007, 02:09 PM #6 of 17
well that sux, dont they sell back-up lenses ?
It does indeed suck. Sometimes the lens is simply misaligned, and this can be fixed. Other times you do need a new lens. Sony don't make them available generally, but some places have them available.

Fitting them is something I don't know about though...

Try this site for spare parts.

http://www.divineo.com/

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:56 AM #7 of 17
Soluzar basically hit it on the nose. I work at a game store that does system repairs and I know from experiance that this is a classic sign of a PS2 singing it's final swan song. Sometimes a new lense/realignment can fix it however it also might not. If you do fix it though, it'll probably only last you a year or so before the same thing happens. If you choose to fix it again at that point, then the fix will only last about half as long as the first. So in the end you might be able to squeeze some more time out of it, however it's on it's way out and it's all just a matter of time unfortunatly.

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:16 AM #8 of 17
With my old PS2, before I bought a new flat model, I found that turning the PS2 vertical helped. I'd still have to open the drive 4-5 times, and it would make a horrible noise, but the game would run. I had to do that for Valkyrie Profile, and several blue disc games before I finally broke down and bought a newer model.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:58 PM #9 of 17
That fix is more for the mounting hooks that keeps the disc on the tray because they do tend to ware over time, not a fix for DREs caused by lasers.

Tidsu
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 21200

Level 3.31

Mar 2007

Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:06 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2007, 09:06 PM #10 of 17
hmm i think the Blue disks have problems loading in PS2's

i say this because my old PS2 was brand new and i bought a new game from the local store bought it home it was a blue disk and it was brand new no scratches,dirt ect. and it failed to load all i kept getting from around 2-3 brand new games that had Blue disks was "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disk"

sadly that PS2 is no longer with me anymore cause my stupid fucking sister clames she accidently dropped my TV on it whilst trying to plug the cable in the back of the TV so i have no PS2 now

sorry for going off topic on the last bit

anyways that's my opinion on this subject

Many Thanks

Tidsu

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Image removed by GFF Signature Police (images should not stretch beyond 300 pixels high, nor be as faggoty as this one was).

Im Tidsu Defender Of Spira
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:22 PM #11 of 17
That issue was due to that the CDs whether it be a blue disc or a PS1 game were lighter then the DVD drive was originally designed for. Therefore DVDs work fine because they weigh more then a CD. The fix for the problem that you had would have been to take two equal lenghts of scotch tape around 1inch each and place them on opposite sides but equal distance from the center of the disc on the label side. This would give the problimatic disc enough weight to not come off the spinner whilest spinning. This is one reason why they changed the drive to a snap drive in the slim PS2 to fix this issue and because they're smaller.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:21 PM #12 of 17
It's been years and I still don't have problems with Blue colored discs. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is one of them (Including ps1 games). I do remember when it didn't want to work that one time. I guess it was cause of that certain gear in your ps2 that you have to twist around. After that it works more better than before O.o.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:30 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2007, 02:30 PM #13 of 17
My launch model PS2 has been with me for a while, and it's just starting to give me trouble with DRE on blue discs and certain DVDs.

Like Nuttyturnip, though, turning it vertical definitely helped. It makes complaining clicking noises occasionally, but it will load after a few seconds.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:08 PM #14 of 17
Just be warned however that putting ANY tray loaded console vertically will increase the likeliness of circular disc scratches to like 70%. As weird as it may sound, after loading the console try putting the system upside-down. It should give you the same performance increase as putting the system on it's side, however you won't be risking your discs as near as much as if you were to put it vertically.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:53 PM #15 of 17
Just be warned however that putting ANY tray loaded console vertically will increase the likeliness of circular disc scratches to like 70%. As weird as it may sound, after loading the console try putting the system upside-down. It should give you the same performance increase as putting the system on it's side, however you won't be risking your discs as near as much as if you were to put it vertically.
That's a bit high of a percentage, don't you think? Considering Sony intended for the PS2 to operate vertically, I don't think there's that great of a risk of disk scratching. I played through the entirety of Okage: The Shadow King, and half of Valkyrie Profile and FFT, and though the PS2 made loud noises every time there was a loading screen, I didn't get any scratches on my discs.

FELIPE NO
FLEX
Unavailable.

Member 2156

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:55 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2007, 11:55 PM #16 of 17
That fix is more for the mounting hooks that keeps the disc on the tray because they do tend to ware over time, not a fix for DREs caused by lasers.
I thought adjusting the laser voltage would (temporarily) alleviate the problem, although it'd be a risky fix in it's own right.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:38 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2007, 06:38 PM #17 of 17
Fun fact, a few days after I made my original post in this thread stating blue discs don't make PS2's explode, mine died because of one (but it didn't explode, so I'm still right). Made some freaky loud clicking, grinding noises and the game froze. No disc could be read after that, AND the controller couldn't be detected anymore. Double the awesome. Then again, it was a launch unit!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Help] PS2 blue/purple discs