Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. They should go back and steal the horrible zombie plot

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 03:22 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 08:22 AM #1 of 54
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. They should go back and steal the horrible zombie plot

This got a mention in the PS3 thread, but I figured it deserves it's own, you know for rumour, speculation, news and generally going "Woo, Uncharted 2, yay".

Teaser trailer (HD version here):
YouTube Video

I loved me the first Uncharted, I thought it did the adventure/combat/puzzling thing in a really smart way, and looked amazing too, so I'm very excited about this.

Apparently we can expect an annoucement with more details on December 14th.

Some additional info, as I just spotted this on JoyStiq:
Quote:
New information care of Game Informer, which has "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" as its cover story. The game will revolve around Marco Polo's voyages and includes new free climbing and -- gulp -- "stealth" gameplay.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Dec 2, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 03:40 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 02:40 AM #2 of 54
The original is easily one of the best games on the PS3. I can't wait for this.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 05:26 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 04:26 PM #3 of 54
I plan to play the original game sometime during my winter break from school, so it's good to know I'll have a sequel to look forward to afterwards.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:07 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 11:07 PM #4 of 54
I plan to play the original game sometime during my winter break
As someone with just a PS3, how have you not played Uncharted yet? Madness.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:15 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 06:15 PM #5 of 54
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was the reason why I picked up a PlayStation 3 in the first place, and it is still my favorite game on the platform. I hope the sequel is just as amazing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:42 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 05:42 PM #6 of 54
The original is easily one of the best only games on the PS3. I can't wait for this.
The first Uncharted is pretty much the only triple exclusive that actually lived up to the hype, zombies and shit not withstanding. I fully support the creation of a sequel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 09:18 PM #7 of 54
As someone with just a PS3, how have you not played Uncharted yet? Madness.
Well I just bought it a few months ago (since I mostly only buy games when they're cheap), and there's just been games I've been wanting to play more (namely LBP). I know it's not much of an excuse (especially since I played the heck out of the demo), but what else can I can say?

I am looking forward to it though, which is why I'm waiting until my break to play it instead of playing it now while I'm still being bogged down by schoolwork.

FELIPE NO
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:20 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2008, 02:20 PM #8 of 54
YouTube Video
Spoiler:

Bitchin’.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by eprox1; Dec 16, 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:11 PM 1 #9 of 54
Played Uncharted when it came out and my general impression was "this could've been awesome" but it wasn't, and honestly I still don't know what held it back. Well, I don't remember at least. Hopefully Uncharted 2 corrects whatever the problem was. And if it does, well fuck, I'm looking pretty forward to it.

Also, for that "lived up to its hype" comment, unless I'm remembering wrong, I don't even remember it getting as much hype as some other games on the ps3. Lair seemed to get more hype than Uncharted.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:10 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2008, 10:10 PM #10 of 54
Played Uncharted when it came out and my general impression was "this could've been awesome" but it wasn't, and honestly I still don't know what held it back. Well, I don't remember at least. Hopefully Uncharted 2 corrects whatever the problem was. And if it does, well fuck, I'm looking pretty forward to it.
So you thought the game may have had a problem, but don't know what that problem is, but hope that they fix that unknown problem in Uncharted 2, if indeed there was a problem at all. Right. Care to say less with your post?

I'm all for getting involved and taking part, and you are to be commended for that, but come on at least attempt a little substance (post count doesn't mean shit, post content does).

And yes Uncharted was hyped. I mean, of course it was. Uncharted is a great game on the PS3 that is also that rare beast: a PS3 exclusive. Certainly at the time of its release there wasn't much else to show off as a great PS3 exclusive so I recall it getting a fairly decent amount of hype. But thankfully it certainly lives up to it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:29 PM #11 of 54
How was that not content? It's my opinion on a game. I haven't played the game since it came out, but I recall it missing something that held it back. Still a great game, just not as great as it should've been. Fuck.

Also, I clearly said it got hype, just not as much as other games. There's a difference between "a decent amount" and a fuckton like Lair got and LittleBigPlanet got. All it had to do was be a good game and it lived up to the hype. That's not saying much.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:21 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 01:21 PM #12 of 54
Saying something is not the same as having something to say.

And yes, you are correct there is a difference between 'a decent amount' and 'a fuck ton' of hype, however, I don't believe Lair got 'a fuck ton' of anything. It got pretty heavily mocked for having a terrible control system, but that's about it. It certainly didn't receive much hype, at least not over here. Uncharted on the other hand was very much hyped up. No, not as much as LBP, but then very few games have been hyped as much as LBP on any platform, not just the PS3.

Anyways, for people interested in Uncharted 2, there's a decent sized feature on it in this month's Edge magazine (I need to give that a glance over soon), for which it is the cover game.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:45 AM #13 of 54
Nearly all of PS3's big titles get a lot more hype than they probably should, and since Lair was one of the early games announced for it it got a ridiculous amount of hype. That combined with the fact that it was created by the guys who did Rogue Squadron, and well, people were excited. It wasn't until right near the release and right after that it became a joke of a game. Before that, people were hyping the shit out of it. Uncharted though, thankfully, didn't get quite the same treatment from what I saw. It probably got the right amount actually. Just enough to get people interested, but not enough to make people think it'll be the next gaming revolution.

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:07 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 10:07 AM #14 of 54
I think I remember reading that Uncharted ended up selling around 2 million - I'd say it did pretty well for the amount of hype it received. Granted, I have no idea how many copies of a game need to sell for it to be considered a success (I suppose it all comes down to development cost), but I'm just glad it did well enough to warrant a sequel.

Regardless of how the game was initially hyped, I absolutely loved the first game. My only gripe was that it could have been a little bit longer. Still, the controls were solid, the graphics were amazing, the story was interesting (I actually liked the zombie twist at the end. Totally reminded me of something out of Indiana Jones), and the game had some of the flat out best environments I have ever seen in a game.

Easily the best exclusive Sony has going for it. I only wonder what they're going to do different with this new game.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:33 PM 1 1 #15 of 54
Uncharted is the best game since HALO, and it is the reason why PS3 is the best console on the market.

YouTube Video

This is played when I blowdry my hair in the morning.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:04 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 06:04 PM #16 of 54
Time to give this thread a kick, since there's now news that Uncharted 2 will feature some (up to 3 player) co-op missions and an online multiplayer mode when it hits in November-ish time.

Quote:
Sony has confirmed that Naughty Dog's PS3 action sequel Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will be graced with online multiplayer modes, including co-op.

At a preview event in Los Angeles last week, attended by Eurogamer, Naughty Dog surprised the press by showing deathmatch and 'Plunder' competitive modes for teams of five, and three-player co-op maps based on - but separate from - the single-player adventure. It's a departure for Uncharted; the first game was a strictly solo affair.

Plunder is a capture-the-flag variant in which teams of "heroes" and "villains" compete to find treasure and lug it to safe spots. Deathmatch is a straightforward race to a set kill count.

In the co-op mode shown, players battle through a level dominated by intense combat, occasionally teaming up to overcome physical obstacles.

There will also be a cinema mode similar to Halo 3's Theater, allowing players to record replays and direct the camera, and a linked website offering stats and leaderboards.
[ source ]

For those based in the US there's also news that you'll be able to grab access to the beta with copies of inFamous, the PS3 exclusive sandbox titles coming this summer:

Quote:
Sony has revealed that everyone who buys inFamous in the US will receive a bonus - access to the multiplayer beta test for Uncharted 2.

Announcing the news at an event last week, Nate Fox, creative director of inFamous developer Sucker Punch, said: "We're so excited. Naughty Dog is like a brother studio to us."
[ source ]

For more on the multiplayer Eurogamer have a hands-on write up here: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Hands On - Page 1 // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:11 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2009, 11:11 AM #17 of 54
Footage of multiplayer in action:
IGN Video: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves PlayStation 3 Trailer - Multiplayer Reveal Trailer

Bought'd. If it's half as interesting as the normal gameplay, I'll be playing this for a long, long time.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:37 AM #18 of 54
I was really worried when they announced multiplayer for this game, I thought it would just be a gimmick a little like in RE5, but after seeing that video, wow I'm sold! It look really fun and intense! I love how height seem to play a big role!

Most amazing jew boots
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:26 AM #19 of 54
Thread bumping.

I'm curious to see if anyone else got into the beta?

It's been a week since I'm playing and I'm having a blast! All the goodness of the single player campaign but into multiplayer, make for a very intense experience.

I really love their take at the capture the flag mode, where you have that treasure that you can throw at other teammate. You can even use your pistol to defend yourself. It's pretty fun when you have a good team that manage to past perfectly the treasure all the way to our base

For now the two map are pretty solid and fun. I hope in the final release they will explore even more the height feature, by having more then just ground level and second level.

Most amazing jew boots
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:40 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2009, 08:40 PM #20 of 54
I haven't played much, but I'm really glad they included co-op scenarios. Much more fun than the competitive modes to me.

I have a spare code if anyone wants it, by the way.

edit: code gone!

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Jun 9, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:04 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2009, 07:04 PM #21 of 54
I actually used the extra code Aard had, but then a few hours later Sony sent me a code, so I now have a spare up for grabs should anyone need it.

Anyway, I just got through playing a round of team deathmatch, and I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed. Granted, I've never really been a big fan of competitive shooters, and overall this didn't really do anything for me to change that. I'll probably play it and the other competitive mode a bit more, but I'm much more excited to try out the co-op.

If anyone else in the beta wants to get together for a game, I'd be down for that.

EDIT: Code has been given out.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:42 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2009, 10:42 AM #22 of 54
I got another beta code to give away.

edit: gone

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Jun 11, 2009 at 05:13 AM.
Sjaakie
Wark!

Member 33838

Level 2.86

Jun 2009

Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:52 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2009, 07:52 PM #23 of 54
Never really heard about this game tbh but I only recently got a ps3, but it looks like a fun game maybe I will play the original first.

FELIPE NO
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:47 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2009, 09:47 PM #24 of 54
Finally got around to playing the co-op mode, and even though it wasn't under optimal conditions (it was only a two player game, and the other dude didn't even have a headset), I still had a lot more fun with it than I did with team deathmatch. As long as it's played properly (i.e. with two other people with headsets), it may end up being as fun as if not more fun than the single player game.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:50 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2009, 10:50 PM #25 of 54
I have the Beta as well right now. PSN ID Skexx, if anyone wants to play co-op some time.

Shows how much I know, I thought it was multiplayer only.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. They should go back and steal the horrible zombie plot