Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Guns Guns Guns
Rifles? 10 20.00%
Shotguns? 2 4.00%
Pistols? 12 24.00%
One or more of the above! 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Firearms

ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 08:51 AM #176 of 211
Originally Posted by Gumby
bow hunters almost always take a sidearm with them because of the bears and other large cats in this area.
(I quoted this from Manis Tricuspis's post... did you edit it out of a previous post or something?)

Anyway if you were trying to poke fun... meh. I think a sidearm when bowhunting is a good enough idea in a dangerous area as I'm assuming yours is. … A bear would be too big/strong to take down without a strong bow and arrows made for the job, and wildcats would be too quick for most people. Hunting is different from being suddenly ambushed by a predator.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:29 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:29 PM #177 of 211
So which is it? Handguns are pointless as you said earlier in this thread or as you just stated (completely contradicting yourself I might add) that a sidearm is good defensive tool used while hunting?

I'm not really sure I would want to try and hunt a large brown bear with a bow. Seems rather ineffective to hunt an animal that can take three .45 rounds and still keep coming at you.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 08:50 PM #178 of 211
I own a .22 semi auto...but it's more of a showcase type since it's 70 years old. I have experience was .45's, .357's (both revolver and semi-auto types), and have practiced with various rifles before.

What kind of actual gun would I like? Not sure, to be honest I'm more happy with semi-auto's than revolvers though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:26 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:26 PM #179 of 211
Quote:
It is definitely apparent that both of you know more about guns than I. Perhaps one of you might know how to add more power to the rounds by adding more firing powder. I wasn't able to read the links I was sent because I'm at work now ;_;
It is possible to increase a powder charge to get a little more power out of your rounds. However, its a very bad idea. More powder means more pressure, and if you're putting your gun under more pressure than it was designed to handle, you run the risk of blowing it up, along with your hands.

That said, I use SLIGHTLY beefed up rounds in my Makarov. I've modified the gun however, so it handles them well. I'm using an extra-strong recoil spring. I use 95gr Hornady XTP bullets and "Bullseye" gunpowder. Here are some stats:

Normal Pressure 9X18 Makarov loading: 3.6gr of powder, 975 FPS

My +P 9X18 loading: 4.1gr of powder, 1040 FPS

Notice that my actualy velocity gain isn't that much compared to how much extra power I had to use. A 13% increase in powder only gave me a 6% increase in velocity...

Anyway... Yesterday morning I went target shooting with my dad. I shot is .45 ACP 1911 for the first time in many years. Now I want a 1911 even more... I think I'd rather have the .38 Super version, but .45 ACP is a great round too.

I never realized it before, but the 1911's recoil has a very different feel to it than my Makarovs recoil. I believe this is because the 1911 is a locked breech design while the Makarov is a straight blow-back design. The Makarov doesn't "Kick" as much, but it feels like it flops around in your hand alot more...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:26 AM #180 of 211
So which is it? Handguns are pointless as you said earlier in this thread or as you just stated (completely contradicting yourself I might add) that a sidearm is good defensive tool used while hunting?
What the shit? I concede a point to you and this is how you thank me? Go fuck yourself, Bubba.

I'm not really sure I would want to try and hunt a large brown bear with a bow. Seems rather ineffective to hunt an animal that can take three .45 rounds and still keep coming at you.
No you probably wouldn't. You don't have the patience or the skill, being the clubfooted, hamfisted gun-waving retard that you are.

Lay some bait and wait until he's laying down by the bait, then shoot him behind the shoulder. That's how you hunt bear.

It's not the gun that's ineffective, it's the untrained and uneducated shooter who's holding it.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 3, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:33 PM #181 of 211
It is POSSIBLE to kill an elefant with a .22

That doesn't mean its the prefered way hunt one...

I might understand using a bow to hunt smaller bear like Black bear... but you'd have to be nuts to go after brown or grizzly bear with a bow...

Most amazing jew boots
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 01:02 AM #182 of 211
Originally Posted by David4516
It is POSSIBLE to kill an elefant with a .22

That doesn't mean its the prefered way hunt one...

I might understand using a bow to hunt smaller bear like Black bear... but you'd have to be nuts to go after brown or grizzly bear with a bow...
Nah.

http://www.bowhunts.com/grizzly.html

With a 70# bow or better, using broadheads like Zwickeys', you're set.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 3, 2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Details
Darkk Child
HATER PROOF

Member 827

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:31 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 06:31 AM #183 of 211
Thanks, Gumby, I'm not gonna add any more powder, but I was curious about it.

Whatup, Manis? How ya feel?

FELIPE NO
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:51 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 06:51 AM #184 of 211
Untrained? Your a joke Arrowhead. I am exceptionally trained in the use of a firearm both through personal use of gun, gun safety training, and the fine training provided by this great nations military.

What I can see from your line of thought is this, you're a snob Arrowhead. You think because you spend time to learn a skill that you are better than those who choose a more effective way to hunting which you may not realize takes a whole new set of skills to properly use. This is not to say I am against bow hunting as I do love archery but for the purpose of hunting, home defense, and weapons of war a firearm out matches a bow and arrow in every aspect except sound but even that can compensated for.

Canada allows shotguns doesn't it? Have you ever been skeet shooting? That is fun. Then again from the sound of it you probably enjoy the hunt just as much as the act of shooting the animal.

Ok no more arguing about bow vs gun, this isn't the point of this thread. If you would like to continue to debate this, take it up with me in PM.

Darkk Child: Yeah my grandfather reloads ammo all the time, but you got to beware of hot boxing rounds that shouldn't be. Particularly if your gun isn't rated to handle that sort of ammo.

David4516: I'm with you, I don't plan on hunting a bear with a bow anytime soon. Besides the fact that I don't like the taste of bear meat. I think I will stick to deer and elk.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:11 AM #185 of 211
Originally Posted by Manis Tricuspis
Hold on, hold on

So these guys, they go HUNTING

But they're afraid they might run into something dangerous

So they bring weapons other than the ones they USE FOR HUNTING

Because those weapons are apparently not good for killing animals with, so:

Why hunt using those weapons in the first place?

Hint: It involves rolling D20s!
Stalking an animal and placing one good shot to take it down unawares is totally different from being attacked by it and having to fend it off in a panic.

Double Post:
Untrained? Your a joke Arrowhead. I am exceptionally trained in the use of a firearm both through personal use of gun, gun safety training, and the fine training provided by this great nations military.
Where did I call you personally untrained? Duh, I didn't. You're just blowing hot air now.

Quote:
What I can see from your line of thought is this, you're a snob Arrowhead. You think because you spend time to learn a skill that you are better than those who choose a more effective way to hunting which you may not realize takes a whole new set of skills to properly use.
I'm the snob? You're the one who thinks the rest of us are jealous of you for owning firearms.

Quote:
This is not to say I am against bow hunting as I do love archery but for the purpose of hunting, home defense, and weapons of war a firearm out matches a bow and arrow in every aspect, except sound but even that can compensated for.
Well actually, at close range (which is how a bow is used in hunting), I'd expect that an arrow is every bit as devastating as a bullet, if not more. Of course it all depends on what calibre/type of bullet and firearm you're comparing to what arrow/head and bow.

As for "home defense", I stand firm in my belief that a firearm makes a home less safe, not more. Obviously someone with responsibility and extensive training like yourself can be trusted, but you're the exception rather than the rule. As for war, of course the firearm is superior to the bow, heh.

Quote:
Canada allows shotguns doesn't it? Have you ever been skeet shooting? That is fun. Then again from the sound of it you probably enjoy the hunt just as much as the act of shooting the animal.
As for skeet shooting, sounds like fun.

As for hunting... Actually, I haven't been hunting yet. More than anything, I just don't have the money for the bow, arrows and license that I'd need. And with the bow I use right now, I'm not so sure that I could pass the test.

Quote:
Ok no more arguing about bow vs gun, this isn't the point of this thread. If you would like to continue to debate this, take it up with me in PM.
Nah, I think I've said my piece. I'll leave you with this, though: drop your guns and practice archery exclusively for a year or two, and you'll have a whole new appreciation for your guns when you pick 'em up again.

Quote:
I don't plan on hunting a bear with a bow anytime soon. Besides the fact that I don't like the taste of bear meat. I think I will stick to deer and elk.
Shame. It's about as good a trophy as you can get. But I admire you for not hunting just for a trophy.

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 4, 2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:55 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:55 PM #186 of 211
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Well actually, at close range (which is how a bow is used in hunting), I'd expect that an arrow is every bit as devastating as a bullet, if not more. Of course it all depends on what calibre/type of bullet and firearm you're comparing to what arrow/head and bow.

As for "home defense", I stand firm in my belief that a firearm makes a home less safe, not more. Obviously someone with responsibility and extensive training like yourself can be trusted, but you're the exception rather than the rule. As for war, of course the firearm is superior to the bow, heh.
I believe because of the velocity of the bullet that it actually has a higher KJ of impact energy. Don't quote me on that though.

I agree that having guns in everyone's home is not the best idea, some just aren't responsible to operate a gun safely, the same can be said about cars :/. However everyone that I know who keeps firearms in their homes are people who are very safe with guns, not bumbling idiots that shoot everything in sight.

Yeah I hunt for meat, when I take down an animal I want to eat it not stick it up on my wall. I've never actually been bow hunting but the last time I used a bow I probably needed another 3 months of practice before I'd be ready to hunt with a bow. That was a few years ago.

While I'd love to put down a gun for a year or two just to use a bow but I can't. I'll be needing a rifle in less than a year when I get deployed.

How ya doing, buddy?

ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:41 PM #187 of 211
I agree that having guns in everyone's home is not the best idea, some just aren't responsible to operate a gun safely, the same can be said about cars :/
Hehe, true... but I'd like to think that cars are a lot more useful than firearms. Unless the world ends and we all have to go back to hunting and fighting each other over food......

Quote:
However everyone that I know who keeps firearms in their homes are people who are very safe with guns, not bumbling idiots that shoot everything in sight.
That's kind of a black-and-white comparison, don'tcha think?

Quote:
While I'd love to put down a gun for a year or two just to use a bow but I can't. I'll be needing a rifle in less than a year when I get deployed.
Sheeit. :| Well, come back alive, bro.

Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 12:13 PM #188 of 211
On a sidenote, since we're talking about weapons...

Are telescopic baton worth anything?

I don't have the means to bu a 400$ gun along with the ammo and permit so I was wondering if such a baton would be helpful? Or just plain waste of money?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:00 PM #189 of 211
Originally Posted by ArrowHead
Stalking an animal and placing one good shot to take it down unawares is totally different from being attacked by it and having to fend it off in a panic.
Yes, these situations are totally different in one major respect:

Situation B is not for pussies. "Our weapons are useless, of course, in the event that the animals actually notice us."

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:31 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 03:31 AM #190 of 211
Originally Posted by Kamui
On a sidenote, since we're talking about weapons...

Are telescopic baton worth anything?

I don't have the means to bu a 400$ gun along with the ammo and permit so I was wondering if such a baton would be helpful? Or just plain waste of money?
Well this is more of a firearms discussion... but you know you can get a Hi-Point pistol for about 100 dollars? A baton is more useful over say a bat because it is easier to conceal. However I don't know the laws of where you are so I don't suggest you hide this weapon on your person until you find out the specifics.

The real question is why do you need or want a baton?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 10:12 PM #191 of 211
Just remember that before you plan to use ANY type of weapon for self defense, you need to know how to properly use the thing.

Learning a Martial art is also a good idea...

And if you're looking for a cheap handgun that works well, get a Makarov, not a High-Point...

FELIPE NO
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:19 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 09:19 AM #192 of 211
High-Point from what I can gather is not a bad handgun, basic and ugly but other than that I can't find any fault with them. They have gotten a bad name from improper stacking of the bullets in the magazine which will case a jam, simply smack the magazine hard once so the bullets are seated properly and you will have no problem with them. Beside Hi-Point is about 1/2 the price of a Makarov.

If you can muster about 350USD Luger's P90, P95, and P97 all offer VERY reliable handguns for a good price.

I agree with David on that though, you really need to know how to use a baton before you decide to carry one.

How ya doing, buddy?

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 03:56 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:56 AM #193 of 211
Gumby, not 2 days ago I saw a Makarov in a gun shop for $140

I cannot stress enough how much gun you're getting for such a low price. It's a solid, combat tested pistol. Having shot several of them (in both 9X18 and .380 calibers), and owning one myself, I can honestly say I've NEVER seen one jam (I've fired at least 2,000 rounds in my own personal Makarov, jam-free). And thats with several different types of ammo, including my own home-made stuff.

The high point, on the other hand, is a boat anchor. They're freaking HUGE. Size does matter when you're talking about a carry gun. I've actually fired both guns, and trust me, the Makarov is far superior...

Also, it's RUGER, not LUGER, LOL. I have no "hands on" experiance with Ruger handguns, but I love their rifles. If their handguns are anything like the rifles, then I wouldn't hesitate to recomend one.

Last edited by David4516; Apr 6, 2006 at 03:59 AM.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:04 AM #194 of 211
Huh, was it used? The cheapest I've seen one go for was about 200. I'll have to look into those a little more. I do agree though, Hi-Points are large and ugly but they are of fairly sturdy construction. Good for plinking if nothing else.

Have you ever had the chance to fire a Luger P90? I've got my eye on a really nice one but I would like to hear about someones personal experience with said gun. As for the 2k rounds, I'd expect any decent pistol to be able to do that without a problem. I've heard of some pistols going through 20,000 rounds with almost no reduction in accuracy.

I've also heard good things about Walther PPK/S .380 from my grandfather who carries one with him at all times.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:31 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 01:31 AM #195 of 211
Like I said in my last post, I have not actually fired a RUGER (not Luger) pistol.

As for the Makarov being used, all Makarovs are used, they're millitary surplus after all. The one I got was about $130, and was in nearly-new condition, it looked like it had only been fired a few times.

About the PPK, the PPK and the Makarov are VERY similar. The design is almost exactly the same, the main differances being that the Makarov is slightly larger, both in size and caliber, and their safteys work differently. Either one would be a good choice IMHO.

I think the High-Point would be a great gun for someone who is mainly interesting in plinking and is on a budget. I just wouldn't personaly trust my life to one in self-defense situation.

Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:36 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:36 AM #196 of 211
Well this is more of a firearms discussion... but you know you can get a Hi-Point pistol for about 100 dollars? A baton is more useful over say a bat because it is easier to conceal. However I don't know the laws of where you are so I don't suggest you hide this weapon on your person until you find out the specifics.

The real question is why do you need or want a baton?

Mainly because I don't have the means for a firearms, less the desire to own one and not willing to get the permit/license for one. And I wouldn't trust myself with one... I'd probably shoot myself in the foot.

A baton seems safer, easier to carry/conceal and cheaper for my needs when I walk either on campus or anywhere else.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:57 PM #197 of 211
I don't own a gun, but my husband would love to own one. I think here it is legal to carry a concealed weapon as long as you have the right license or permit or something. I am really not sure. I'm not into guns, myself...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:39 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:39 PM #198 of 211
lol I was really tired when I typed that. Yeah Ruger not Luger lol.

I agree with you, I wouldn't use one to carry but I'm sure they are great to learn on especially when you are trying to teach someone the basics of gun safety. I really wouldn't want to put a 1000 dollar pistol in the hands of some who has never fired one and might possibly drop it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 07:22 PM #199 of 211
Originally Posted by nanashiusako
I think here it is legal to carry a concealed weapon as long as you have the right license or permit or something. I am really not sure. I'm not into guns, myself...
Here in California, I believe that it is legal to carry a concealed pistol as long as you carry a concealed weapon permit along with your license for you gun. I have a friend who has one, or at least that's what I understand. I don't know specifics myself either because I never did get the urge to carry the weapon on me anyway. I think that's where the permit comes in.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jiraiya
Out Of The Blue

Member 486

Level 10.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:59 PM #200 of 211
Originally Posted by Encephalon
Here in California, I believe that it is legal to carry a concealed pistol as long as you carry a concealed weapon permit along with your license for you gun. I have a friend who has one, or at least that's what I understand. I don't know specifics myself either because I never did get the urge to carry the weapon on me anyway. I think that's where the permit comes in.
Thats true for most states, not positive but here in NY I think just a pistol liscense is needed for a concealed weapon. But with a leaniant law like that no wonder the minimum sentance for possession of a pistol without a liscense is 5 years.

PS: Here on GFF I read the article about the dude who blew his hand off with a 40mm round and I know this should belong in that thread but this is firearms so...anyways. It says the man found it hunting, I dont know who hunts with a 40mm round or leaves one in the woods but anyways IF the man is a hunter, wouldnt he realize something like that would be live? If you shake it you can hear the gunpowder, I wouldnt mess with it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Firearms